The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 July 2023, 12:14 PM   #1
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Bring a Trailer fans, which car are you obsessing over?

Porsche 928's are ruining my life right now. I had a '91 GT around twenty years ago and have always wanted another front-engine Porsche to go with my 911's. Every night it's BaT, Ebay, Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars.com, even FB Marketplace. Thought I won an auction Sunday but the numbers got stupid in the last minute, with five guys chasing it.

The first step is admitting you have a problem. Who else, and what's making you crazy?
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 12:19 PM   #2
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I monitor BAT daily…nothing making me crazy at the moment….maybe another long hood or 80’s 911 pretty soon
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 12:28 PM   #3
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

I spend way too much time looking at 356s, either the real ones or the replicas even though that purchase won’t happen until the kids are done with college.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 12:38 PM   #4
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

Every Ranchero.

I guess it's good that I have garage constraints.
VictorGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 01:38 PM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Love BaT. Its better then Netflix and free.
Old 27 July 2023, 02:10 PM   #6
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
I spend WAY too much time in the Truck and 4x4 category on BAT looking for quality built or stock fat fender trucks and street rods.
I also have an unnatural obsession with Wagoneers and Dodge M37 trucks. Someday I hope to find, bid and win the right one. I think it'd be really fun to get one that way.
I don't spend much time in the other categories.

Something like this:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...f-1-pickup-50/
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 11:03 PM   #7
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I've been eyeing E36 M3's and E46's as well. Trying to find the latter with the subframe repairs done (hopefully). Pheonix Yellow or Laguna Seca Blue, oh my. Agreed that it's very entertaining for a car lover to browse listings here.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 11:33 PM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

TVR Tuscan... think there are only two legally driveable / registered within the USA.

TVR.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 11:49 PM   #9
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
The first step is admitting you have a problem. Who else, and what's making you crazy?
LOL, it's definitely a problem. I'm watching a Bentley right now, although I will not bid on it and will not ever buy one (@enjoythemusic horror stories resonate in my mind) but a boy can dream, eh?

I have sold a car on BaT though. And I interviewed the founder for a story I wrote about the web site a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I've been eyeing E36 M3's and E46's as well. Trying to find the latter with the subframe repairs done (hopefully). Pheonix Yellow or Laguna Seca Blue, oh my. Agreed that it's very entertaining for a car lover to browse listings here.
I think the E46 subframe issues are overblown via the Internet, and really are only an issue if the car has been or will be tracked. I wouldn't let it stop you, pending a thorough and proper PPI of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
TVR Tuscan... think there are only two legally driveable / registered within the USA.
I've always been intrigued by the TVR, although as a small production UK manufacturer, not sure I'd want to own one any more than I'd own a Bentley. Still, they look like fun!

Prices on BaT (unless I'm the seller ) usually go through the roof and are - IMHO - often ridiculous. People pay over high retail for cars that they haven't seen or had inspected. The few times that I've bid seriously on a car, the prices went far beyond what I thought was reasonable.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 01:56 AM   #10
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
My best friends favorite place to peruse 911's.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 02:00 AM   #11
Disaar
"TRF" Member

Not cars but motorcycles, old beemers are commanding crazy premiums these days.
Disaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 02:05 AM   #12
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Porsche 928's are ruining my life right now. I had a '91 GT around twenty years ago and have always wanted another front-engine Porsche to go with my 911's. Every night it's BaT, Ebay, Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars.com, even FB Marketplace. Thought I won an auction Sunday but the numbers got stupid in the last minute, with five guys chasing it.

There's something every day I obsess over. Usually things that are highly impractical and I don't have room for in my garage.

There is a 1981 928 ending in 4 1/2 hours currently at $9500. I don't know enough about them but seems like it's in good shape, had a good deal of work done to it.

GLWTA!
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 02:37 AM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I've always been intrigued by the TVR, although as a small production UK manufacturer, not sure I'd want to own one any more than I'd own a Bentley. Still, they look like fun!
Well, yeah, no one buys a 'proper British' exotic car expecting reliability. TVR is on the 'bonkers' side of the scale, but if you're going to do something truly stupid like buying a British exotic car, may as well do it 'right'

A Noble is also fun, looked great as a track car once fully sorted. But then again for street cruising, and for us horology nuts, I love the Spyker C8 more.

SpykerC8Spyder_14.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 10:31 AM   #14
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I saw the ‘81, would have been bidding if it was a euro spec, but the US cars were way down on power until the later series. I’ve opened my search to S4 automatic gearbox cars too. The ‘81 got to mid $20’s, and I’m a little surprised the reserve was that high and it didn’t sell. Nice looking car but seller didn’t seem to know as much about it as one would think and enough question marks that I didn’t see anyone bidding in earnest to own it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
There's something every day I obsess over. Usually things that are highly impractical and I don't have room for in my garage.

There is a 1981 928 ending in 4 1/2 hours currently at $9500. I don't know enough about them but seems like it's in good shape, had a good deal of work done to it.

GLWTA!
Old 2 August 2023, 11:15 AM   #15
envuks

I have a friend who built a full custom 944 from the chassis up. It’s amazing and he’s had it for many years. Never drives it…. Knowing him, I assume he’d sell it if you were interested. Send me a PM if you’d like me to look into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2023, 12:11 PM   #16
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

Attachment 1381995
Awesome car. I love the TVRs of that era. I know they are supposed to have terrible build quality, but just awesome cars. Always loved the Cerbera of the late 90s. Took cool of cars despite the reputation.
Old 2 August 2023, 10:57 PM   #17
Olive Drab
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex Mickey Mouse
911 speedster

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-speedster-13/
Olive Drab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2023, 11:13 PM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I have three obsessions other than watches and they aren't cars ...

Denim, Jackets, and footwear.

20230802_090313.jpgback_flat.jpg20230802_091156.jpg20230802_090723.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2023, 11:23 PM   #19
Olive Drab
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I have three obsessions other than watches and they aren't cars ...

Denim, Jackets, and footwear.

Attachment 1383072Attachment 1383074Attachment 1383075Attachment 1383076

I've spent too much on mens fashion at withered fig the past few years.
Olive Drab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2023, 11:24 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive Drab View Post
I've spent too much on mens fashion at withered fig the past few years.
I can relate

brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2023, 11:46 PM   #21
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

A 928 S4 that I was watching just sold for around $30k. That car had a prior engine fire and sold for $5k as-is a few years ago, a fact that is easily found on the first page of a Google search of the VIN. No mention of f the fire by seller. There’s a lot of stupid bidding going in and greater fool theory of buying and relisting cars six miles nuts later. Unfortunately the cars I’m after seem to be the focus of a lot of this. It’s hard to pay 3-4x for cars I’ve owned 20 years ago, and much nicer examples at that.
Old 3 August 2023, 01:15 AM   #22
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Mostly I look at Porsches...air cooled 911s, 944S2, 944Cabriolet, 944 Turbo and 968. Occasionally, I look at BMW 2002s, e9 3.0CSis and the e24 M6...and sometimes the R107 560SL. I look at some exotics, but rarely with the idea of buying one.

I like the look of the early 928 (pre spoilers)...and then the mid 80's 4 value 928S. My dad bought a new 928S back in 1986. It was a cool car, and very advanced, but unless you were driving at triple digit speeds it didn't really feel that exciting. It was a bit like driving a Mercedes 560SEC (but with better brakes). A buddy had a 91 928GT that he sold his several years ago, because he felt it was too heavy and he couldn't really take advantage of its performance unless it was on a highway. He used the proceeds to help fund a Boxster Spyder and he has since purchased a 964 too.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2023, 03:19 AM   #23
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Off topic a bit:
The New England Auto Auction at the Owls Head Transportation Museum (Owls Head, Maine) is coming up at the end of August. The inventory is still growing daily. It's almost as much fun as BAT but prices are more realistic (mostly).
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2023, 09:57 AM   #24
7sins
"TRF" Member

Would say I have a slight BaT addiction, I check almost daily. Most recently, was following this one closely, https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...anniversary-4/ but pricing got out of control near the end. Chasing something of similar accord, pre 2000s true analog experience, most likely DB4/5/6, 550 barachetta, 50s xk120/140, 67 gt500 or 246gts. Been focusing and spending much more mental thought on cars than watches lately. Prices on rare cars might just be the last remaining bubble.

Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2023, 11:51 AM   #25
themast
"TRF" Member

I am not in the market but I check BaT daily to daydream and see what is out there. Mostly Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, and Maserati.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2023, 12:35 PM   #26
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
2009 Camry
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2023, 12:57 PM   #27
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Quote:

Risky Business there, pun intended…

My number 1 of all time since high school is the 288 GTO:
Magnum PI on steroids!
Borrowed Photo…
Old 10 August 2023, 03:17 PM   #28
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
C3 and C2 Corvettes.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2023, 05:00 AM   #29
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
A few further thoughts:

A year or two ago I was looking at a Jaguar, maybe around 10-12 years old... and I insisted on a PPI. Got that done, and the car needed about $7K worth of work. Discussing with the seller, he said "hey, you buy any used car and you should expect to put another $5K in it to fix stuff." I retorted that no, you should not, hence the PPI.

Especially if you are paying retail prices, as he was asking full retail and then some.

This is the mentality that I don't get about BaT - folks are paying typically far over average retail for these cars, almost always without getting a PPI first. Pictures are great, but there is soooooooooooooo much potential for hidden/unknown damage or poor previous repairs, it just scares me.

Just this week on BaT I was bidding on a Blackwing caddy, and I set my ceiling and did not go past it. The bids went about $4K past my limit and stopped, and it ended RNM. Tomorrow I'm going to a dealer and buying one, very similarly (different color) equipped, same year, same miles, for less money. It's just too easy to get all caught up in these auctions and just bid one... more... time... my last one, I promise.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote