The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 December 2022, 11:49 PM   #181
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
What does England need to do to stop Mbeppe? Put three defenders on him?

I’m looking forward to both matches today. Yesterday was tough to beat
He certainly seems to be the in form player of the tournament Brian, it would be doing a injustice to the rest of the French team to think of them as a one trick pony though, the English have many players as well that would grace any team. All in all, it will be a good match up, neither team will be looking forward to playing against each other. Looking forward to it though.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 12:11 AM   #182
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
He certainly seems to be the in form player of the tournament Brian, it would be doing a injustice to the rest of the French team to think of them as a one trick pony though, the English have many players as well that would grace any team. All in all, it will be a good match up, neither team will be looking forward to playing against each other. Looking forward to it though.
Very well said Dave

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 12:13 AM   #183
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Tonight should be fun!

Even though the English have no chance. ;-)

(Hahaha, just kidding around, enjoy the match everyone!)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 03:06 AM   #184
ZOOK
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
Morocco wow

And again….
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 06:28 AM   #185
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Didier Deschamps wearing sapphire Hublot on sidelines against England.

Go England!
JoeJoeBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 06:47 AM   #186
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

OMG. All that to get an obvious penalty in the box called correct only to get that PK.
Old 11 December 2022, 07:03 AM   #187
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
I have no dog in the fight but France was extremely lucky to win that game. The better team was England, but France survived despite their horrible defending and unnecessary fouls in the box and just outside the box.

Perhaps the worst officiated game of the WC as well.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 07:19 AM   #188
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Disappointed, I thought we were the better team, but, France are the World Champions and found a way to stay the course. We weren't embarrassed by that performance, just unlucky this time. I thought that Mbappe was nullified by Walker. I would like France to win the competition but I have a feeling that Argentina will win it.

Well done England, good luck France.

I agree with Philip about the officiating.

DAVE

Old 11 December 2022, 07:50 AM   #189
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I've said it before (in this thread) but just do not understand why Grealish doesn't start, or at least come in for half the game. He makes things happen. I'd normally say the final will easily be Argentina and France, but in this WC I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's Croatia and Morocco.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 08:41 AM   #190
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’m going to just watch from here out. Fat chance I’m betting against Croatia or Morocco again haha learned my lesson.
Old 11 December 2022, 10:48 AM   #191
77T
2024 Pledge Member

It has been a memorable series thus far this year and the semi’s won’t disappoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 11:38 AM   #192
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Just finished catching up on all the quarters. Happy to see Morocco do well, but for sentimental reasons, having grown up with football-loving Croatians next door, hoping Croatia win. Would be cool for Messi to win one though.

(I’m really just getting into football this WC. Took the boys to a professional match the other night just out of town, and we all loved it. I think footballers must be the best athletes I’ve seen live, apart from geniuses like Roger Federer, Rafa etc. me with a bias for tennis. I didn’t realise my kids would be such autograph hounds.)
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 06:17 PM   #193
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
One thing I know is Argentina will want to avoid going to penalties against Livakovic. He’s out here reading minds and taking souls lol
I don't know. That goalie Emi Martinez was a machine saving penalties in Copa America.

Argentina 6 penalty shootouts in the World Cup history - 5 wins
Croatia 4 penalty shootouts in the World Cup history - 4 wins

Both tough teams mentally. That's why they are in the semifinal.
Old 11 December 2022, 09:28 PM   #194
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
England did well but Grealish on with just 2 mins to go and Sterling ahead of him and no Maddison at all, well its still all too safe from Southgate who I hope steps down.

Mbappe looked frightening when he got the ball and should have moved more around the pitch and demanded the ball more, so England got lucky there, but he looks the most dangerous player in football to me and could easily take France all the way with the solid support he has around him, I fancy them over Argentina. Would be great if Mbappe or Messi, the two best around, decided this Cup.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 10:43 PM   #195
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Pointless taking the last one if your team doesn't get there, he should have jumped up the order to take the one that was taken last.

Why have your supposably "best" and usual penalty taker not take a penalty in a penalty competition?

There is no pressure on anyone who doesn't take a penalty. None whatsoever.

Every penalty taken was decisive, he never took any.
Well, the manager had a different opinion and still has it, so I don't see the point in attacking Neymar for this.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 11:10 PM   #196
Drand
2024 Pledge Member

Personally don't want Argentina to win the Cup especially after the reactions after the victory over Netherland. I fancy them to win Croatia though even if it gets to penalty kicks. Martinez seems like a better goalie for penalty kicks.
The France team seems like the only thing between Argentina and the trophy.
Drand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 11:20 PM   #197
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP. View Post
I don't know. That goalie Emi Martinez was a machine saving penalties in Copa America.

Argentina 6 penalty shootouts in the World Cup history - 5 wins
Croatia 4 penalty shootouts in the World Cup history - 4 wins

Both tough teams mentally. That's why they are in the semifinal.

Looks like the Croatians have a better record to me 100% success point taken though.

I’d prefer Argentina V France but I have zero confidence it’s happening. I think Croatia has a better chance than Morocco.
Old 12 December 2022, 12:12 AM   #198
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Well, the manager had a different opinion and still has it, so I don't see the point in attacking Neymar for this.
Because he should have stood up and insisted on taking the penalty, but that's ok, his reputation is in tact, an 18 year old missed the penalty and Brazil are no longer in the competition. I was expressing my opinion about him not taking part in Brazils one off chance of continuing in the competition and stick by everything I said.

Let's take it to its logical conclusion, By Neymar not taking a penalty, did that give Brazil a better chance of reaching the next stage? The last penalty that Brazil took was the most important and the one that held the most pressure and ultimately, its miss knocked them out of the competition. (According to the manager and you) so Neymar should have taken it.

You see it differently, I don't see there being a middle ground so we must disagree.

DAVE

Old 12 December 2022, 01:50 AM   #199
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

By your argument who should have usurped Southgate and demanded to take second penalty kick over Hardy Kane since he missed and was responsible for England not moving on?
Old 12 December 2022, 01:59 AM   #200
Star Ferry
Banned

As a general matter, I agree with Sir Dave.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 02:23 AM   #201
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

I’m afraid England being knocked out was all too predictable.

Since winning the World Cup in 1966 England have been knocked out by the following teams. The stage at which England were knocked out is marked in brackets.

- 1970 - West Germany (QF)
- 1974 - Failed to qualify for the tournament
- 1978 - Failed to qualify for the tournament
- 1982 - Failed to get out the 2nd group stage - different format.
- 1986 - Argentina (QF)
- 1990 - West Germany (semi-final)
- 1994 - Failed to qualify for the tournament
- 1998 - Argentina (last 16)
- 2002 - Brazil (QF)
- 2006 - Portugal (QF)
- 2010 - Germany (2nd round)
- 2014 - Failed to get out of the group stage
- 2018 - Croatia (SF)
- 2022 - France (QF)

The teams England have have beaten in the knockout stages since 1966 appear to be Paraguay, Belgium, Cameroon, Denmark, Ecuador, Sweden and Senegal.

In other words, it appears that when England meet a major footballing nation in the knockout stages of the World Cup it almost always ends in defeat for England.

I will leave others, far more qualified than myself, to explain why that is.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 04:02 AM   #202
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBobo View Post
By your argument who should have usurped Southgate and demanded to take second penalty kick over Hardy Kane since he missed and was responsible for England not moving on?
By my argument? Harry Kane as captain and recognised penalty taker (and scorer of the first penalty) should have taken the penalty. You can't see that? Who would have been more qualified? You obviously have a name.

Harry Kane was the recognised penalty taker and captain. He took responsibility for his miss but his wealth of goals have ensured that the English team have qualified and progressed in many competitions.

You do know that penalties are missed, don't you? Otherwise a foul or handball in the box would just be given as a goal. You do know that many a famous player, has missed penalties. Messi, Augero, Ronaldhino, Rooney, Cavani, Schevchenko, Ibrahimovic, Totti, Ronaldo, etc, etc, it didn't stop them taking further penalties in their career though, as you seem to think it should. Oh, and even Neymar has missed 15 in his career.

Perhaps you want to watch a few more games before you embarrass yourself again.

DAVE

Old 12 December 2022, 04:07 AM   #203
Daryl
2024 Pledge Member

I always root for the three lions but they’re out now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 04:14 AM   #204
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Following the loss by Brazil in PKs, I specifically watched to see who would be the first to take the PK for Argentina. Naturally it was Messi.

Brazil made 2 fatal mistakes in that game against Croatia; when they scored just before the break in ET, they celebrated as if the game was all but over. They also had 6 players on attack when the Croatian counter attack started leaving only 4 to defend. Why with only 4 minutes left in the game?

Second, Brazil didn't put one of their best PK finishers in the top 3 (Neymar). It makes no sense in leaving him for 5th if you don't get the opportunity to use him. These 2 mistakes seem almost elementary in nature and leave one wonder what is being written in the Brazilian press today.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 04:22 AM   #205
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Croatia ...4 million people

Final and now the semi-final ...amazing !!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 04:29 AM   #206
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
History repeats itself ...France vs Croatia ??

Now that would be something .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 04:33 AM   #207
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
History repeats itself ...France vs Croatia ??

Now that would be something .
I never realised, you are exactly right.

DAVE

Old 12 December 2022, 04:37 AM   #208
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

Quote:
By my argument? Harry Kane as captain and recognised penalty taker (and scorer of the first penalty) should have taken the penalty. You can't see that? Who would have been more qualified? You obviously have a name.

Harry Kane was the recognised penalty taker and captain. He took responsibility for his miss but his wealth of goals have ensured that the English team have qualified and progressed in many competitions.

You do know that penalties are missed, don't you? Otherwise a foul or handball in the box would just be given as a goal. You do know that many a famous player, has missed penalties. Messi, Augero, Ronaldhino, Rooney, Cavani, Schevchenko, Ibrahimovic, Totti, Ronaldo, etc, etc, it didn't stop them taking further penalties in their career though, as you seem to think it should. Oh, and even Neymar has missed 15 in his career.

It wasn’t Harry Kane’s fault England went out. England had over 90 minutes to score from open play but failed to do so. France managed to score twice from open play. England’s defence simply weren’t good enough to stop that.

No the relevant question is, given his overall form this season, did Kane deserve his undisputed, automatic place in the team - captain or not?
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 04:40 AM   #209
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Play View Post
It wasn’t Harry Kane’s fault England went out. England had over 90 minutes to score from open play but failed to do so. France managed to score twice from open play. England’s defence simply weren’t good enough to stop that.

No the relevant question is, given his overall form this season, did Kane deserve his undisputed, automatic place in the team - captain or not?
I didn't say that it was Kane's fault that England went out. But, all your other observations are spot on and fair.

Having said that, because he was playing he was the recognised penalty taker and carried out those duties. I fully accept your questioning as to if he should have been playing in the first place. It is an argument that I suggest would go on and on, certainly, from 2 area's in North London, the answers would be completely different.

DAVE

Old 12 December 2022, 04:49 AM   #210
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Quote:

And now who is arguing against his own argument. 2 PK’S in one match is very a hard ask especially against your club team goalie of 5 years and yes that missed pk is why England is going home just like the the one missed by Brazil. I’m not a homer.

Embarrassed, seriously?