The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 December 2022, 02:42 AM   #61
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
I have another. This is one that I choose to use often, I tell the story to almost every employee we have messes something real good.

"Own the wreck."

Ultimately the story is a bit long winded for here and now, but this is the just add water version. A couple of years ago I had chance to do a NASA track day at Road Atlanta in my brothers track prepped Acura. Early in the session my ride along instructor had me back way off another car heading into turn 10, right after I backed off the guy spun out, my instructor said "yep, I saw that coming." Later in the session, I ran up on slow traffic and wound up leaving the track and hit the tire barrier - very little damage to the car, tremendous damage to my ego.

In the debrief the lead instructor made the comment "own the wreck." You are always responsible for what happens out there. You have to learn your limits, the cars limits, traffic conditions, etc. Otherwise you gain nothing.

For the rest of the day, and longer really, I played my event back trying to understand exactly the point of failure. All damn day long all I heard out of the other guy that spun out in front of me was how he was "killing it." except his tires were too cold. I indicated that that's still on him, he never got it. You have to own it or you will never learn from it.
I like this. Accountability is super important. We try to teach our kids this every day
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 02:43 AM   #62
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I wrote this here before, but when I moved to LA in the 1980s, I was right down by the Venice pier and standing waiting for the light to change to cross the street. There were about 4 people standing with me, a Type A, a surfer dude on a skateboard and my buddy.

Just as the light changed to WALK, a BMW came screaming up and hung a right almost hitting the Type A as he stepped off the curb, and he started yelling and swearing at the BMW who sped away.

The surfer dude just set his skateboard down and pushed off across the street, and said "acknowledge, and move on, dude" and then disappeared into the crowd crossing the other way, as the Type A was still fuming.

We all tend to keep things, faults, slings and arrows, beating up ourselves, loses, and mistakes bottled up and often for years, where we could just acknowledge, and move on with our lives.

It sort of ties into the saying, "holding a grudge is letting someone live inside your head, rent free".

And that grudge could be against ourselves as well. We need to remember to forgive.
Old 8 December 2022, 02:44 AM   #63
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HERITAGE82 View Post
I absolutely LOVE this! Thank you for sharing
Thank you, sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
A story about perspective, and a great life lesson for me:

I was in Tulum, Mexico. This was well before it became a hot spot and the lodgings were rickety and very simple. It was sublime with no ice, no A/C and lumpy beds due to the humidity.

I was just relaxing on the beach and there was a bit of commotion. I naturally went to investigate.

There was a baby sea turtle that just hatched and was making its way to the sea. I was beside myself. My spirit was signing. I can recall how happy I was, as it was a magical moment for me.

I followed the little guy to the sea. I even helped him (or her), without touching, flip over back onto his belly when he got stuck on his back. Then he got to the water and swam off. I swam with him until I lost him.

I was "higher" than any bit of alcohol or drug had ever made me.

Later that night I was retelling the story again and again. Someone then told me that the rest of the eggs hatched the night prior and there was a migration of the little cuties that went to the sea.

I was absolutely gutted that I missed it. It ruined everything for me, until....

I realized my perspective was all wrong.

It was not about what I had missed, but rather what I had experienced. Finding out that there was another great experience that I missed in no way took anything away from the amazing experience that I had.

It is all about perspective.
Seth,

I had somewhat of a similar experience w/ wildlife when a small finch landed on our back deck one summer afternoon while my wife & I where listening to a baseball game. I slowly and methodically moved my hand closer and damned if that finch didn't jump right on my finger. I stood there in shock. It then flew over to a chaise lounge. So I repeated my initial procedure and it jumped back on the finger. This scenario replayed again about 4 times before the finch finally flew away.

I've owned parrots and did my best to save a few "broken" birds as a kid but have never seen a wild bird be so comfortable around a human. It was a thrill and told my wife to grab a quick pic. But this was back in the old flip phone days and while she did take the pic, she forgot to save it.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 02:47 AM   #64
ArsenX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Never sneeze with a mouth full of fried rice (especially on a first date).
Chuckle;
This is a funny one

Sent from my itel W6002E using Tapatalk
ArsenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 02:49 AM   #65
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
A story about perspective, and a great life lesson for me:

I was in Tulum, Mexico. This was well before it became a hot spot and the lodgings were rickety and very simple. It was sublime with no ice, no A/C and lumpy beds due to the humidity.

I was just relaxing on the beach and there was a bit of commotion. I naturally went to investigate.

There was a baby sea turtle that just hatched and was making its way to the sea. I was beside myself. My spirit was signing. I can recall how happy I was, as it was a magical moment for me.

I followed the little guy to the sea. I even helped him (or her), without touching, flip over back onto his belly when he got stuck on his back. Then he got to the water and swam off. I swam with him until I lost him.

I was "higher" than any bit of alcohol or drug had ever made me.

Later that night I was retelling the story again and again. Someone then told me that the rest of the eggs hatched the night prior and there was a migration of the little cuties that went to the sea.

I was absolutely gutted that I missed it. It ruined everything for me, until....

I realized my perspective was all wrong.

It was not about what I had missed, but rather what I had experienced. Finding out that there was another great experience that I missed in no way took anything away from the amazing experience that I had.

It is all about perspective.
Thank you for sharing, and what an awesome moment to be a part of. This really rings true for me in a lot of ways. Times I’ve missed out on big moments, only to be there after the fact. Sometimes I’m hard on myself for that.

This is an excellent reminder to take into account the whole experience and not dwell on what you may have missed.

Thank you my friend
Old 8 December 2022, 03:12 AM   #66
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Thank you, sir!

Seth,

I had somewhat of a similar experience w/ wildlife when a small finch landed on our back deck one summer afternoon while my wife & I where listening to a baseball game. I slowly and methodically moved my hand closer and damned if that finch didn't jump right on my finger. I stood there in shock. It then flew over to a chaise lounge. So I repeated my initial procedure and it jumped back on the finger. This scenario replayed again about 4 times before the finch finally flew away.

I've owned parrots and did my best to save a few "broken" birds as a kid but have never seen a wild bird be so comfortable around a human. It was a thrill and told my wife to grab a quick pic. But this was back in the old flip phone days and while she did take the pic, she forgot to save it.
dP

wow. what a great experience. very cool.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 03:13 AM   #67
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Thank you for sharing, and what an awesome moment to be a part of. This really rings true for me in a lot of ways. Times I’ve missed out on big moments, only to be there after the fact. Sometimes I’m hard on myself for that.

This is an excellent reminder to take into account the whole experience and not dwell on what you may have missed.

Thank you my friend
it was super profound for me. I have referenced this moment many times since, to myself, as a reminder to keep my perspective straight.

Old 8 December 2022, 04:18 AM   #68
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Jason … is it meant to say don’t be too hard on yourself? Sorry, I’ve never heard the expression before.
Basically - Don't waste time and effort trying to achieve something that may not even be attainable, or the costs of said "perfection" far outweigh any additional benefit to your circumstances, when "good enough" will give you sufficient joy.

It reflects the argument between "maximizers" and "satisficers".

https://www.psychologistworld.com/co...ecision-making

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 04:20 AM   #69
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
<<< Life Lessons >>>

If I had Children I would definitely teach them...

Don't Eat Yellow Snow!

&

Never Buy Sushi from a Gas Station!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 04:21 AM   #70
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Basically - Don't waste time and effort trying to achieve something that may not even be attainable, or the costs of said "perfection" far outweigh any additional benefit to your circumstances, when "good enough" will give you sufficient joy.

It reflects the argument between "maximizers" and "satisficers".

https://www.psychologistworld.com/co...ecision-making
I think Seth's parable is a great illustration given this definition from the above article...

"Maximizers will set themselves high standards during decision making and will aim for them but are often disappointed when they fail to achieve them, dwelling on what they have missed out on rather than what they have. By contrast, a satisficer will be satisfied with the option he chose even if it was not the best option he could have wished for."

Seeing one turtle was utterly fantastic until he was told there were dozens the night before. Fortunately, Seth realizes the benefit of being a satisficer.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 8 December 2022, 04:27 AM   #71
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I wrote this here before, but when I moved to LA in the 1980s, I was right down by the Venice pier and standing waiting for the light to change to cross the street. There were about 4 people standing with me, a Type A, a surfer dude on a skateboard and my buddy.

Just as the light changed to WALK, a BMW came screaming up and hung a right almost hitting the Type A as he stepped off the curb, and he started yelling and swearing at the BMW who sped away.

The surfer dude just set his skateboard down and pushed off across the street, and said "acknowledge, and move on, dude" and then disappeared into the crowd crossing the other way, as the Type A was still fuming.

We all tend to keep things, faults, slings and arrows, beating up ourselves, loses, and mistakes bottled up and often for years, where we could just acknowledge, and move on with our lives.

It sort of ties into the saying, "holding a grudge is letting someone live inside your head, rent free".

And that grudge could be against ourselves as well. We need to remember to forgive.
This is a tough one for me, and I acknowledge I need to work on this. I tend to hold on to things … far too long I’m afraid.

I guess I forgive but I don’t always forget (which maybe means I haven’t really forgiven)
Old 8 December 2022, 04:57 AM   #72
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is a tough one for me, and I acknowledge I need to work on this. I tend to hold on to things … far too long I’m afraid.

I guess I forgive but I don’t always forget (which maybe means I haven’t really forgiven)
In hockey there is the saying..take a number. When someone "does you wrong" you get his number and remember.

Because hockey also has the saying, "what happens on the ice, stays on the ice", but that doesn't mean that next game, next week, next year or years down the road, you see that guy on the ice and revenge is best served up cold.

Payback is a bitch.

Sorry for all the cliches.
Old 8 December 2022, 05:02 AM   #73
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
In hockey there is the saying..take a number. When someone "does you wrong" you get his number and remember.

Because hockey also has the saying, "what happens on the ice stays on the ice", but that doesn't mean that next game, next week, next year or years down the road, you see that guy on the ice and revenge is best served up cold.

Sorry for all the cliches.

The parallels of hockey and life are real

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 8 December 2022, 05:14 AM   #74
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The parallels of hockey and life are real

I've always thought that sports are just accelerated life compressed into a small time frame.

The lessons and the pitfalls are all there and character is magnified.
Old 8 December 2022, 05:17 AM   #75
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I've always thought that sports are just accelerated life compressed into a small time frame.

The lessons and the pitfalls are all there and character is magnified.
Agreed ...

You can learn alot about a person in how they play a round of golf.

Old 8 December 2022, 06:32 AM   #76
77T

&lt;&lt;&lt; Life Lessons &gt;&gt;&gt;

A beacon to all who cherish life, liberty, and the open road…an invention for which we have waited since the first carbon steel flattop splattered an sputtered with raw hamburger early last Century.

Be upstanding for a toast to the finest gleaming stainless steel that glistens in the glare of fluorescent light with the fat and grease that makes America great…

Members, raise a glass…I give you the-

Roller Grill!!!

LIFE LESSON?

Never choose an item behind the red flag tab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 07:39 AM   #77
Easy E

The secondary lesson is - It's ok to be stupid, but you better be tough.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 07:46 AM   #78
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
A good life lesson I learned as a young man was ~ when you and your buddy are heading up the mountain to go fishing, and you stop at the last outpost for beer, food, and gas, don't get preoccupied and forget about the gas.

It can be a long walk.
Old 8 December 2022, 12:51 PM   #79
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
My Dad would tell me, “You can’t soar with the eagles in the day if you wallow with the pigs at night”. Took me years to figure that out.

My Mom would tell me, “Everything in God’s world is exactly the way it should be…if it wasn’t, it would be different”. Took many years but I finally got it.
Old 8 December 2022, 09:21 PM   #80
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I tell my kids this all the time "You reap what you sow"....whatever seeds you plant today will produce or yield something from that plant....if you planted good seeds, you will have a plant of good....if you plant $hit, you will get $hit.

Another important one for me is to treat everyone the exact same way regardless of title or wealth status. If any human cuts their finger, we all bleed the same color red. Period.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 09:34 PM   #81
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
A good life lesson I learned as a young man was ~ when you and your buddy are heading up the mountain to go fishing, and you stop at the last outpost for beer, food, and gas, don't get preoccupied and forget about the gas.

It can be a long walk.
Old 8 December 2022, 09:36 PM   #82
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I tell my kids this all the time "You reap what you sow"....whatever seeds you plant today will produce or yield something from that plant....if you planted good seeds, you will have a plant of good....if you plant $hit, you will get $hit.

Another important one for me is to treat everyone the exact same way regardless of title or wealth status. If any human cuts their finger, we all bleed the same color red. Period.
Well said

My parents (Mennonite farmers) used the same expressions with us as kids and they stuck for sure.
Old 8 December 2022, 09:46 PM   #83
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post

Well said brother. So very true.

Old 8 December 2022, 09:47 PM   #84
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHadEnuf View Post
My Dad would tell me, “You can’t soar with the eagles in the day if you wallow with the pigs at night”. Took me years to figure that out.

My Mom would tell me, “Everything in God’s world is exactly the way it should be…if it wasn’t, it would be different”. Took many years but I finally got it.
Love both of these. Not a religious man though, and the top one really resonates with me.

Old 8 December 2022, 09:47 PM   #85
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Another really great thread.

TRF is crushing it these days.

Old 9 December 2022, 12:12 AM   #86
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

So just today I had the pleasure of a simple but satisfying little moment.

Getting my coffee at our local Starbucks, a busy line up and somewhat chaotic scene going on behind the counter. It looked like maybe a new hire or two might be getting trained. No big deal (at least to me and most others).

Then, this gentleman (I use that term loosely) starts up about what’s taking so long, he is quite quite vocal and self important… blah blah blah. His body language and the look on his face said it all. It’s ALL ABOUT HIM.

As the line shifts and every one slides down one spot to make room for the next, this fellow grabs his coffee, turns and bumps into an elderly man probably in his 80’s I would guess. Spills his coffee on him and proceeds to mutter under his breath.

The old man says to him “having a bad day I see, let me pay for that”.

I’ve honestly never seen a grown man turn from angry to embarrassed so quickly. It was priceless. He quickly regrouped, and apologized to the older gentleman and insisted on buying him his drink and whatever else.

Lesson: Kindness begets kindness.

Great way to start the day
Old 9 December 2022, 12:34 AM   #87
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So just today I had the pleasure of a simple but satisfying little moment.

Getting my coffee at our local Starbucks, a busy line up and somewhat chaotic scene going on behind the counter. It looked like maybe a new hire or two might be getting trained. No big deal (at least to me and most others).

Then, this gentleman (I use that term loosely) starts up about what’s taking so long, he is quite quite vocal and self important… blah blah blah. His body language and the look on his face said it all. It’s ALL ABOUT HIM.

As the line shifts and every one slides down one spot to make room for the next, this fellow grabs his coffee, turns and bumps into an elderly man probably in his 80’s I would guess. Spills his coffee on him and proceeds to mutter under his breath.

The old man says to him “having a bad day I see, let me pay for that”.

I’ve honestly never seen a grown man turn from angry to embarrassed so quickly. It was priceless. He quickly regrouped, and apologized to the older gentleman and insisted on buying him his drink and whatever else.

Lesson: Kindness begets kindness.

Great way to start the day
Great story brother. A great lesson for all.

Old 9 December 2022, 12:37 AM   #88
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
And then T-bone stepped in and hip checked him to the ground and said everyones coffee is on me today!
Old 9 December 2022, 01:34 AM   #89
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Great story brother. A great lesson for all.
X2.

Wisdom comes with age.

Oh wait, there is another life lesson.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 9 December 2022, 01:37 AM   #90
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
And then T-bone stepped in and hip checked him to the ground and said everyones coffee is on me today!
Have you seen me … I’m 170lbs soaking wet

I have to be honest, I was tempted to “intervene” as one of my many pet peeves is people who treat servers like they’re dirt.

In the end, the older wiser man, made him look very small. It couldn’t have been handled better