The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 December 2022, 03:54 AM   #1
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Camera Advice Pls! Total Noob. Watch Pics/Ease of Use/ About a Grand

Lately I've been taking lots of pics of my watches for fun, and my old Iphone just isn't cutting it. Especially the Macros I want to take. If I could use it to shoot home vids on occasion as well, that would be cool.

I don't know anything about cameras and I have too many interests to get "totally into" photography, but I want to dabble a little.

I was thinking about a mirrorless from Sony or something.

I just wanted to solicit advice from those in the know. Again, I am a neophyte and I will never be hardcore so please don't waste time with $10K setups. I know there are a lot of gals/guys who shoot watch pics, so if you would consider my (restrictive) wish list and tell me what you would do with the same desires, I'd appreciate it.

My wishlist.
1. Easy to use. Decent auto modes and not overly complex manual modes.
2. Not too bulky
3. Budget around $1000 bucks that includes one (I know, they are crappy) OEM generic lens so I can start learning the camera right away.
4 Decent lenses available at a fair value.

ALSO...

What ONE additional lens with a max of about $500 would you select for more close ups and macro shots? (exclusive of the grand for the camera)

Thanks so much for your time.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 04:01 AM   #2
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

A Sony a6000 series (based on what you want to spend) would fit the bill nicely while still allowing you to add lenses as you see fit later.

Check out dpreview.com as they have recently posted buying guides for all different categories.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 04:02 AM   #3
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Such as…

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buy...as-around-1000

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 9 December 2022, 04:05 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I wish I could help you … I sold all my Leica to BR.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 04:06 AM   #5
JParm

Watch: Yes!
I'm not into macros (read: I'm not good at them), but I think everyone around here knows that I use my Fuji x100v religiously. It's a camera that meets #1-3 of your needs, with the interchangable lenses being the only thing that it lacks. Having said that, it's a great camera to learn on because it makes you use your feet to get that perfect shot. Good luck!
JParm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 04:45 AM   #6
Guppydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post

Headed there now Jason. Thanks..

Still open to advice. 75% percent will be watch pics
Old 9 December 2022, 05:48 AM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I will just add my .02 so take it for what you will.

The first two images were taken 12 years ago with an Olympus 6mp underwater camera

The third image was taken 9 years ago with a Panasonic point and shoot.

No amount of camera gear can make up for poor lighting and poor technique.

The last image was taken 3 years ago with my iPhone XS Max.

Don't be too hasty to buy equipment that you will need to learn to use properly. After you get images, they need to be processed. What are you using for image processing?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 05:51 AM   #8
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
It ain't the camera, it's the photographer.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 07:16 AM   #9
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I wish I could help you … I sold all my Leica to BR.
Old 9 December 2022, 08:28 AM   #10
Guppydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I will just add my .02 so take it for what you will.

The first two images were taken 12 years ago with an Olympus 6mp underwater camera

The third image was taken 9 years ago with a Panasonic point and shoot.

No amount of camera gear can make up for poor lighting and poor technique.

The last image was taken 3 years ago with my iPhone XS Max.

Don't be too hasty to buy equipment that you will need to learn to use properly. After you get images, they need to be processed. What are you using for image processing?
You'll probably laugh, but I use Photoshop Elements. Like I said, I'm a beginner. My Iphone is not the newest version, and I'm not sure it could take a pic like the one of your AT.
Old 9 December 2022, 08:32 AM   #11
Guppydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
It ain't the camera, it's the photographer.
dP
But that's my point. I don't have a camera. I would lke to grow my skillset as a photographer, but need something. Since I want to take pictures of watches, I figured being steered to a product that most easily enables me to build confidence would be beneficial.
Old 9 December 2022, 09:34 AM   #12
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
But that's my point. I don't have a camera. I would lke to grow my skillset as a photographer, but need something. Since I want to take pictures of watches, I figured being steered to a product that most easily enables me to build confidence would be beneficial.
Jesse's recommendation on the Fuji XV100 might be a good first step then. I am not sure it does completely macro photos, nor does it allow swapping out lenses. However, it does combine a great sensor in a wonderfully useful focal length fixed lens that is ideal for helping your develop your skills without having to worry about which lens you need, etc...

I started with a film SLR and then went to digital point and shoot, then digital SLR, then back to digital P&S, then to iPhone 11 and finally back to a mirrorless digital Sony A7C.

Here is the gist of it all. Find a camera that is not too intimidating but lets you start experiencing with the creative controls of f-stop, ISO, shutter speed etc...

You may very well feel that the little fuji does everything you want. Especially since the small form factor will let you take it with you everywhere. This is huge when you are starting out as it makes it very easy to experiment.

I am not sure how technically experienced Jesse (JParm) is as a photographer, but he has posted some amazing shots taken with the Fuji here. In fact, his shots made me want to get back to more prime lens shooting.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 9 December 2022, 09:43 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Honestly, I’ve seen photos graphs taken with a smart phone that look incredible to me. I don’t really think you can go too far wrong with any camera these days
Old 9 December 2022, 09:52 AM   #14
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Understood and didn't mean to sound flippant. But if you can master lighting, angles, cropping, and rudimentary editing on your phone, thru go ol' practice, practice, practice, it will go a long way to making your investment into camera equipment that much more worthwhile.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 11:05 AM   #15
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
1. Fuji X100v: great camera, easier to get a Rolex Sub.
2. Sony a6000 series: agree with Jason
3. Nikon Z50: good camera, interchangeable lenses.
Agree that it’s the photographer, not the camera. Practice!
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 11:31 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^ this.

Just remember, the digital camera body means little in the long run, but great glass lasts a lifetime.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 01:44 PM   #17
77T

Hope my advice is helpful to your overall goal vs. a direct answer to your camera question.

Your goal seems to be great photos.

However, you started with camera.

When, I believe, you need Ground School.

Drawing from your dayjob, like asking what is the best turbofan before learning to fly.

My advice is learn the law of reciprocity, depth of field, exposure, contrast, shutter speed, and ISO.

Save up the $$$ now.
Then buy a Leica…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 03:20 PM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Then buy a Leica…
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! SHUSH!!!

(Whispered) First we have to slowly lure him in. We'll get to the Leica part soon enough :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 03:36 PM   #19
Zartan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy
After trying a Leica m8 rangefinder, I bought a D-lux 109 for vacation and walk around. It’s an excellent daily with a fantastic sensor as well as in software processing. Very clean image’s with high dynamic range. For Marco I don’t believe you need a bunch of lenses cause it’s all really close, the 109 has a dedicated Marco mode. But you might be better served with a light box, remote shutter, three legged thing tripod and a good book about methods of macro photography. Good luck, it’s a great hobby.
Zartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 04:54 PM   #20
Guppydriver

Great advice everyone...

I've entered the rabbit hole to be sure...
Old 9 December 2022, 10:17 PM   #21
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Great advice everyone...

I've entered the rabbit hole to be sure...
Yes you have and I wish you luck

Try this article

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...-for-beginners

B&H is a very well respected seller.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 10:27 PM   #22
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Phone at that price point is best.

Sony Fuji cannon and Nikon making great mirrorless now.
I own a Leica Q2. Work has kept me from the hobby so not familiar with current offerings, been so long don’t even know if I can turn the Leica on at this point.

But for the 1000 price point a good app and a good phone camera will always be with you and provide excellent performance especially if you apply yourself in the area of understanding lighting.

Go down the lighting rabbit hole and save yourself some money while you become a better photographer.

Ps when I bought my first camera (35mm) I walked into boutique camera shop in Manhattan to look at a Nikon fm2…I asked to see that other camera on the shelf… I walked out with a Leica M6 and 2 lenses. Once I put that camera in my hands there was no going back.
Old 9 December 2022, 10:32 PM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
X 2.

I used to take a camera traveling, (granted I’m no photographer) and since the evolution of smart phone cameras, I don’t bother.

Yes there are much better options but I think you’d have to pay up for them and know how to use them to really notice a difference
Old 10 December 2022, 12:12 AM   #24
Wired
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
X3

Buy new iphone 14pro max or 13pm and you are set. Try halide app.
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2022, 04:41 AM   #25
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I agree with Brian and the other Brian. And Dan.

SO, what's a guppy?

Anyway... when I started to get into digital, it was between the Nikon and the Canon. The ergonomics of the Nikon felt better to me, so I went that way. The Fuji is an awesome little camera, but I got so used to the functions and controls of the Nikon that I had to go back.

As others said, and the strongest advice to me in the past was, buy good glass. The body isn't as important.

I'll suggest, since you set a budget, that you buy a used mirror DLSR. Really top quality pro-level stuff is obtainable at a huge discount on eBay and such. And if you get a nice example that isn't cosmetically trashed, you can resell it for close to what you paid when (if) you decide to go mirrorless.

So, get a body that's a generation or two behind, and get an older lens that perhaps doesn't have VR (don't need it anyway) and a solid, quality tripod, build yourself a light box, and you'll be set.

I don't post process because I'm lazy and I work with computers all day, so I don't want to work on them any more just for fun.

Attached is one of my favorite photos, illumination provided by a flashlight. The only processing was to crop & resize for the forum and add the copyright tag just in case some bozo tries to use it for an eBay scam or something...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bluesy copyright.jpg (136.9 KB, 64 views)

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2022, 05:15 AM   #26
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
The only processing was to crop & resize for the forum and add the copyright tag just in case some bozo tries to use it for an eBay scam or something...
Just an fyi, that copyright logo can be removed in 10 seconds by anyone with even basic post processing skills. You would need to enlarge it and lay it over the dial writing to discourage would-be scammers a little more but even that wouldn't stop someone who was determined to steal your pic and is a little more experienced in Photoshop but it would likely stop most.
Old 12 December 2022, 02:45 PM   #27
Guppydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I agree with Brian and the other Brian. And Dan.

SO, what's a guppy?

Anyway... when I started to get into digital, it was between the Nikon and the Canon. The ergonomics of the Nikon felt better to me, so I went that way. The Fuji is an awesome little camera, but I got so used to the functions and controls of the Nikon that I had to go back.

As others said, and the strongest advice to me in the past was, buy good glass. The body isn't as important.

I'll suggest, since you set a budget, that you buy a used mirror DLSR. Really top quality pro-level stuff is obtainable at a huge discount on eBay and such. And if you get a nice example that isn't cosmetically trashed, you can resell it for close to what you paid when (if) you decide to go mirrorless.

So, get a body that's a generation or two behind, and get an older lens that perhaps doesn't have VR (don't need it anyway) and a solid, quality tripod, build yourself a light box, and you'll be set.

I don't post process because I'm lazy and I work with computers all day, so I don't want to work on them any more just for fun.

Attached is one of my favorite photos, illumination provided by a flashlight. The only processing was to crop & resize for the forum and add the copyright tag just in case some bozo tries to use it for an eBay scam or something...
Beautiful shot! I ever thought about used but it makes sense I suppose. As people "move up", I'm sure they sell much of their old gear.

As far as Guppy goes, just a common term of endearment for the airplane I fly at work, the 737. I had a seven year stint on "widebody" international airplanes about 6 years ago, but coming back to the venerable "guppy" gave me my weekends and holidays with the family that I so coveted.

I'll update you guys on which direction I end up going.