The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 December 2022, 01:06 AM   #1
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Leave the passion ?

I know that different topics have been opened. That we have as many opinions, options or ways of doing and seeing things as there are people.
Always personal, even unique.

But the...I have watchmaking fatigue.

I want to throw everything away, to liquidate the AP/PP/Rolex hype, to only keep two pieces for a simple rotation (one week each), like the titanium Bathyscaphe tool in daily and a slightly more special piece for the specific vibrations and emotions, either the Freak X or the Grönefeld, then really take my mind away from this area.
Do something else with all the money back. A little fed up with everything around right now.

I was lucky to get all that, but I tell myself that I have gone too far, and that the current atmosphere, the risks, the substantive materialism, yeah, there's better to do and smarter...

A hobby, which I'm not sure I'm stuck with anymore.

Where are you? Your thoughts ? Would you keep everything, until you were in the spirit again? Or would you take the step in this direction??

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 01:08 AM   #2
"TRF" Member

I’ll take it one step further and say one watch you love is enough
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 01:15 AM   #3
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Dont make a rash decision. Put your watches away for a couple of months. See how you feel then and reasses. Good luck, whatever you decide.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 02:31 AM   #4
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

I had the same as you. So I decided to diversify my interests. I started to get into high end clothing. Funny enough, some of the nicest clothing out there is almost as hard to acquire as some SS rolex's. Same problem, high demand and low production. The biggest difference is the sales people. No dumb games and grey markets....Yesterday I traveled for hours to try an amazing shirt in which only two were available in the whole country...Bingo! Just as fun as acquiring that new watch! and just as expensive!!!
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 02:55 AM   #5
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Nothing wrong with that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 02:59 AM   #6
Weber35
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2jag View Post
I had the same as you. So I decided to diversify my interests. I started to get into high end clothing. Funny enough, some of the nicest clothing out there is almost as hard to acquire as some SS rolex's. Same problem, high demand and low production. The biggest difference is the sales people. No dumb games and grey markets....Yesterday I traveled for hours to try an amazing shirt in which only two were available in the whole country...Bingo! Just as fun as acquiring that new watch! and just as expensive!!!
Respectfully, that sounds awful.
Weber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 03:00 AM   #7
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
I know a few people that collect snow globes.
They appear quite happy and don't seem to have all this angst.
Old 12 December 2022, 03:01 AM   #8
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If it was me, I would do nothing and reassess in six months, assuming there was no pressing imperative to liquidate my collection. If you must proceed, maybe a watch at a time with a period of consideration between each.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 03:28 AM   #9
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I really have a casual style of dress. It doesn't interest me at all, but I want to believe that it can be fun to collect high quality shoes and clothes.
Alongside watches, I collect craftsmen's knives, enough to take care of. Also a family. Enough occupations, therefore, to be 100% focused on bits of metal on the wrist. What I am describing is really in relation to watchmaking. I'm starting to not like it anymore, just having a "do-it-all" watch, like the titanium Blancpain FF that I love, and keeping one or two more special watches (Freak X, Grönefeld 1941). Everything else, the watches that everyone wants and recognizes, liquidate, and goodbye this world of watches. Seriously fed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
If it was me, I would do nothing and reassess in six months, assuming there was no pressing imperative to liquidate my collection. If you must proceed, maybe a watch at a time with a period of consideration between each.
I'm willing to leave more time and reflection. Anyway I can't wear them all at once and that's already happening, the turnover is high.
Often I haven't worn the piece for several weeks, and I (re)discover it.
It's just fatigue compared to everything that's going on, this watchmaking world is less and less for me. Just more want to take my head and end up with a more sparse bank vault, liquid savings in compensation, and a more simplistic rotation.

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 03:33 AM   #10
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
As others have mentioned I would put them away for a while and see how you feel. I also get what you mean about the fatigue but that is easily mitigated by avoiding watch social media. You can always enjoy your watches away from the forums and the instagram rat race. I honestly doubt 99% of people in your life would recognize most of the watches listed in your signature.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 03:33 AM   #11
pursang_
"TRF" Member

Your passion hasn't died. You have watch forum fatigue.
pursang_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 11:51 AM   #12
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Quote:
Let's see a pic of this shirt.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 11:55 AM   #13
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Dont make a rash decision. Put your watches away for a couple of months. See how you feel then and reasses. Good luck, whatever you decide.
I like this idea. Put them all in a drawer. Pick your favorite 2 to wear for the next 3 months. I think this will give you an idea of how to proceed.

I can also understand where you are coming from. I really only wear four watches anymore. My DD, YG SkyD, Smurf, and Sub. Have others but they don't really get any wrist time. Have considered selling my BLNR and DJ, but haven't been able to make myself pull the trigger mainly because I just like having them. Lol.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 12:39 PM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I get it.

Didn’t wear any watch at all, for months.

I’ve started to appreciate the hobby again. But in a very different way. Dare I say, a more rewarding, less stressful way.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 12:51 PM   #15
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I hear you, OP. I went through a similar thought process over the past couple years that caused me to reevaluate. No external factors, more internal.

I got to a point where I discovered price had zero correlation to happiness with a watch. That, and a "retail experience" though great the first time has meant nothing the last couple. Also, after years of hanging onto a piece for fear of taking a bath on selling it, I just bit the bullet and sold it, and am happier for it. Liking a piece on its own was not enough. It had to fit into my lifestyle and make way into the rotation. If a watch didn't do that, it was gone.

That, along with the attractiveness of a slimmed down collection with pieces that fit my taste, realized over 15 years in the hobby has taken shape.

At times I have felt a bit fed up. Not with my collection. My collection is in a bit of a vacuum. I have them because I like them. I may have learned about them on social media, but SM was merely a tool to learn, until I got my hands on one and that was many years ago for my core pieces and the core pieces influenced others with their design elements. They spoke to me when I saw them in person.

Watch crime, opinionated YouTubers and gaudy IG watch shots have little to no impact on my position in the hobby.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 12:59 PM   #16
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Never heard it expressed as "watchmaking" fatigue. Do what the others say. Put your watches away for a while and stay off the internet and see how you feel in six months. Downsizing is always a good idea. At some point, we will all need to consider that move, if we have more watches than heirs. LOL.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 01:05 PM   #17
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Nothing wrong with this feeling, OP.

When you think about it they’re just big boy rare Transformers or GI Joes for the most part and you’re not married to them. Keep a few and dump the rest.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 01:16 PM   #18
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I don't have the kind of massive collection of luxury watches that a lot of people here have, but I have a lot of watches that I really like across a wide price range.

Not all of them are ever going to get a lot of wear, but those tend to be in the lower price range.

I'm not actively collecting at this time, but I have bought a couple of watches lately that fill a low-end niche that I thought needed to be filled--a couple of Casio digital watches.

I also am not on any kind of rotation schedule. I might wear one watch for three weeks or I might change watches a couple of times a day.

The point is that I don't have so much invested in my watches that I feel the need to liquidate at all and the other point is that I have enough watches that I never get bored with any one watch or even a watch brand or style. There's always something that I can pull out of a box or a drawer and put on one that I haven't worn in two years or more.

Yeah, I'm pretty sick of the idiocy that has invaded the once honorable hobby, but it's still a topic that I'm interested in, because I'll stop a film or a video just to see that watch that just whizzed by on the screen and I still watch watch videos on YouTube and read articles on the subject.

I really think that it is in my DNA, because I have been attracted to watches and timekeeping since I was a young child. I can increase or decrease my activity regarding the subject, but it's not something that I can just walk away from. It's just a part of who I am.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 01:17 PM   #19
zengineer
"TRF" Member

If you want out you probably got in for all the wrong reasons. This isn't about the rest of us.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 01:25 PM   #20
Star Ferry
Banned

I have owned AP/PP/Rolex in the past, but went ahead and dumped all of it. These brands had too much ego, emotion, intensity, and stress associated with them for me. Since prices are on the downswing, if you're going to sell them then there's no time like the present.

Wore a Bathyscaphe all day today -- it's a nice piece and hardly anyone notices it.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 02:24 PM   #21
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I don't have the kind of massive collection of luxury watches that a lot of people here have, but I have a lot of watches that I really like across a wide price range.

Not all of them are ever going to get a lot of wear, but those tend to be in the lower price range.

I'm not actively collecting at this time, but I have bought a couple of watches lately that fill a low-end niche that I thought needed to be filled--a couple of Casio digital watches.

I also am not on any kind of rotation schedule. I might wear one watch for three weeks or I might change watches a couple of times a day.

The point is that I don't have so much invested in my watches that I feel the need to liquidate at all and the other point is that I have enough watches that I never get bored with any one watch or even a watch brand or style. There's always something that I can pull out of a box or a drawer and put on one that I haven't worn in two years or more.

Yeah, I'm pretty sick of the idiocy that has invaded the once honorable hobby, but it's still a topic that I'm interested in, because I'll stop a film or a video just to see that watch that just whizzed by on the screen and I still watch watch videos on YouTube and read articles on the subject.

I really think that it is in my DNA, because I have been attracted to watches and timekeeping since I was a young child. I can increase or decrease my activity regarding the subject, but it's not something that I can just walk away from. It's just a part of who I am.

I couldn't have written it any better.
OP it sounds like you just need to step away and take a break. If you need the money then sell one of two that you love less than the rest. You know which ones they are. Develop different interests but don't get overly passionate about them. Relax.
I think sometimes we allow these interests to become full blown passions and we suck the fun of of them. They become serious, instead of staying light hobbies. We become driven and passionate about details instead of superficially appreciative of the whole.
IDK, it's hard to describe. Sometimes it's more fun to enjoy the meal without having to memorize the recipe.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2022, 06:27 AM   #22
dafuture
"TRF" Member

I've certainly thought about this myself. A lot of the joy has been sucked out of this hobby with the constant flippers and investors. I can't even dream about getting some of my favorite watches, let alone make it a reality.

None of this is to say what you should or shouldn't do. If you need a break, take one. You can always come back later on if you want to.
Old 13 December 2022, 06:31 AM   #23
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNeal View Post
I know a few people that collect snow globes.
They appear quite happy and don't seem to have all this angst.
Even that industry has problems - I hear it is has been shaken up recently!
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2022, 06:34 AM   #24
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I've often felt the same way as you.

I also like some blend of the Marie Kondo approach. If it doesn't spark you joy and/or you haven't worn it in a year, then off it goes.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2022, 06:54 AM   #25
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHorton View Post
Let's see a pic of this shirt.
Thinking the same. Must see it.
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2022, 07:13 AM   #26
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

(breathe deeply) been there... twice. Lemme guess, it's been about 9 years?

My advice, for whatever that's worth, wait two months. If you feel the same way make the changeover to two ultra-horology pieces. NEVER sell a piece that holds a very special sentiment of course.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2022, 07:57 AM   #27
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post
Even that industry has problems - I hear it is has been shaken up recently!
Old 13 December 2022, 01:44 PM   #28
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I enjoyed reading this thread with the sage advice given. I wish you well with whatever you decide!
What stuck with me while reading, was your title to this thread. Apparently the passion still burns a little…(?)

JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2022, 01:57 PM   #29
Ellz
2024 Pledge Member

Great topic- enjoyed reading as well :-)
Ellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2022, 02:00 PM   #30
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
It sounds like you’ve mulled this over a lot already, and know yourself and your priorities too. I think it’s too personal to weigh in on with a do-or-don’t answer, but I have been there too. Mine was music gear that took many years of searching and saving for, and using and enjoying too; then at some point, I just felt over-invested both emotionally and monetarily, so I sold a few big pieces. And it felt fine. No regrets. What matters are people of course, not rad trinkets or a sweet pair of Edward Greens.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote