The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 4 January 2023, 03:19 AM   #1
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Random collection musings to kick off 2023

1. Seeing the entire 150 year history of AP and its product evolution left me with one distinct impression: History is what got you here, but being a slave to your history prevents the destiny of your future.

In AP's case, a quick skim through any new release article from Hodinkee's comment section or TRF surfaces one main criticism that AP is a one product company. And yet, visiting the museum it is clear the heritage has such diverse watch styles that they could have simply continued making lots of different kinds of watches if they wanted...except those watches would be like Omega still trying to sell a Constellation that very few people want.

But by accepting the transition to effectively a mono product company, AP continues to currently be unique, different, and market dominate with the RO...Of course the nuance is that the present very quickly becomes the past...so...

2. I find the CODE now to be a worthy heir to bridge past and present for the company, especially as the watch that comes after the RO era of dominance. From a consumer standpoint, I think the real problem trying to sell the code as a standalone product is it's like trying to sell philosophy to an 18 year old. If you study it and see the entire discourse unfold from one philosopher to the next, it's possible to comprehend and maybe appreciate. But how many people are willing to do that?!?! Much easier to digest fortune cookie philosophy.

I almost wonder if AP bought MB&F and then just put the dials/movements into the code case if the code would not suddenly be an exciting collection line to the average consumer.

3. Dragging on now 3? 4? Years into this watch market drought with minimal imbibes to parch the dry lips....I thought about how it used to be that I bought a watch to celebrate a milestone, but now the watch has become the milestone. Something goes off the rails there, for me at least when the watch becomes disconnected from meaning and significance, only consumerism.

Finally I wonder as a collector:
Will THE AP I choose stand the test of time though the onslaught of more releases??? I gravitate towards the mentality that part of the appeal of owning an oil canvass art work classic is that you don't feel the urge to 'upgrade' from one piece to another. There isn't going to really be a new technological innovation or an upgrade release like iPhone NNN that replaces your current one. I hope to feel about my current top 3 watches the same way I do today in another 10 years.

I also liked this line from an Atlantic article talking about midlife crises, but I feel it's equally apt to my current watch journey.

"Choose subtraction, not addition. Early in life, success usually comes from addition: more money, more responsibility, more relationships, more possessions. Life in early adulthood is like filling up an empty canvas. By midlife, however, that canvas is pretty full, and more brushstrokes make the painting worse, not better. ...Midlife [dare I say mid watch-box] is the point at which your medium of choice should change from a canvas to a sculpture..."

Oh, and Bearx86 remains king of the strap game IMHO. That was one killer PQ trio photo he posted.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 05:53 AM   #2
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I think the CODE is a great idea, but the initial execution was horrible. Because of that, AP is paying the price for that poor introduction until today. Too big for a dress watch at 41mm and the dials for the 3 hander and the chronograph (which are the two most accessible of the line-up) were just two HUGE missteps that AP made. If they had introduced it at 39mm and said some fancy marketing jargon like 'heralding a new horizon with 39mm like the 5402' etc, it would fit better with most wrist and suit the idea of a dress watch better.

Like OP said, Bearxj86 had an AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS PHOTO of the QP CODE with the perfect dial strap combination and in that photo, it looked WAY BETTER than the RO QP and the VCO. That says a lot about the CODE and the failure of AP to unleash it.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 09:45 AM   #3
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I've been an AP fan and collector for a long time. I see the RO line of watches being the mainstay of my collection for a long time to come. I also find myself gravitating to smaller and thinner pieces as I get into my 50's. That's why I find myself wearing the 16202 most of the time. I would welcome more variety in the RO line with smaller case size models.

I also find myself having more interest in dress watches as of late. I guess another sign of aging. lol. I have decided this is the year I will put more effort into starting my PP relationship and start exploring that side of the hobby more.

I didn't like the CODE line when it launched. The case design was good, but the dials were just not on point. They've launched some models that I think are big positive changes in direction with the QP, black tourby, and starwheel. If they can size it down a little with thinner proportions, we just might have a dress watch line that would add more diversification for the AP line as a whole. I would definitely be a player for a smaller, thinner CODE line with the current direction in dial design.

@macrowatch, I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. I find myself here too.

"Choose subtraction, not addition. Early in life, success usually comes from addition: more money, more responsibility, more relationships, more possessions. Life in early adulthood is like filling up an empty canvas. By midlife, however, that canvas is pretty full, and more brushstrokes make the painting worse, not better. ...Midlife [dare I say mid watch-box] is the point at which your medium of choice should change from a canvas to a sculpture..."
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 11:06 AM   #4
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

Great post Macrowatch and I mirror your sentiments as you get older you really do come to realise less is more and additions to your watch collection should mean something, add some value be that in terms of complication, strap, materials or whatever else floats your boat and not always chasing the latest or in vogue model at the time. Even though human nature to want more and brands marketing and hype would have you believe otherwise.
Harry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 06:56 AM   #5
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
"Choose subtraction, not addition.....
Bah, as long as AP keeps selling, I'll keep adding Now, where's my 15407...
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 04:31 AM   #6
1time
"TRF" Member

This was a great post! For me, the only reason to buy a watch is to celebrate a milestone- its the tangible thing that you get to carry with you or see in the morning when you open your watch box on big achievements like completing grad school, new child, promotion or etc. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way that getting a watch shouldn't be the milestone (not that it shouldn't be celebrated in some way, just that it shouldn't be the core meaning of buying a piece of jewelry/art that happens to tell time).

Quick aside, does anyone know when allocation calls typically start in January? I've read on the forum that the factory will take a break at year end. Do they skip January all together?
1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 02:01 PM   #7
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I also find myself having more interest in dress watches as of late. I guess another sign of aging. lol. I have decided this is the year I will put more effort into starting my PP relationship and start exploring that side of the hobby more.
I know I'm getting old when things I used to think for old people start looking mighty good...comphy shoes...socks and sandals.... But yeah I'm with you on the dress watches thing. Getting old!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_S View Post
Great post Macrowatch and I mirror your sentiments as you get older you really do come to realise less is more and additions to your watch collection should mean something, add some value be that in terms of complication, strap, materials or whatever else floats your boat and not always chasing the latest or in vogue model at the time. Even though human nature to want more and brands marketing and hype would have you believe otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Bah, as long as AP keeps selling, I'll keep adding Now, where's my 15407...
I'm definitely fickle in opinion. Show me a ceramic PQ and I'm adding! In my younger days I probably would have said get me 2-3 ROO of the 43mm variety...but I'm trying to be more...discerning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1time View Post
Quick aside, does anyone know when allocation calls typically start in January? I've read on the forum that the factory will take a break at year end. Do they skip January all together?
I've gotten calls in January, and I've also made a request and had short turnaround times in beginning of the year. But of course that was before Fed+ECB+BOJ printing trillions of dollars beyond what I bothered to remember. Sat in a resturant today and almost fell out of my seat seeing what the for hire starting wage was for staff.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 04:15 PM   #8
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

Great post.

There are so many ways to drive the CODE line, I don’t see AP exploring them. Here’s a thought: AP makes the best bracelet in the industry, I’d like to see a CODE on bracelet. Market them to women as well, with a smaller offerings. So many directions to be creative and load up the line with AP’s dna. The current force-a-sale tactic has got to go. This drastically cheapens the line.

I adhere strictly to my “one a year” policy. This keeps my box manageable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JettyOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 08:38 PM   #9
Jp28
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
.I thought about how it used to be that I bought a watch to celebrate a milestone, but now the watch has become the milestone. Something goes off the rails there, for me at least when the watch becomes disconnected from meaning and significance, only consumerism.
I think this is a really good summary of what has happened over the last few years.
Its bad for us customers but also for the manufactures. Brands have a lot to do with emotions without those links they lose relevance and value.
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote