The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 17 May 2008, 05:13 AM   #1
patrick_b
"TRF" Member

Why mechanical watches? Why Rolex?

I find this question posed from time to time and recently tried to verbalize the answer to the questions, "why Rolex," and even, "why mechanical watches?"

I love the fact that the watch on my wrist doesn't need electricity or a microchip or a battery. I treasure that my wristwatch was very likely assembled by hand and hundreds (maybe thousands) of small parts; gears, cogs and springs work in concert every second of every day...with precision that matches or (in some cases) exceeds its battery powered cousins.

As designers and engineers strive to make products smaller and lighter these days, the heft of a steel mechanical wristwatch conveys quality. I find it confidence inspiring that the logo on the dial stands for hundreds of years of mechanical and design innovation. In an era where corporate mergers are commonplace, the Rolex Coronet stands alone, atop a heap of companies specializing in 'luxury goods'...a private entity that continues to attract enthusiasts and the general public alike. While it's aesthetics that drew me to fine watches, it's their craftsmanship that kept me coming back.

Unlike my cell phone, flat screen TV and laptop, mechanical wristwatches have remained virtually unchanged for generations, a mainspring, escapement, case, dial and hands. The term 'obsolete' doesn't enter into the equation. The average person would be hard pressed to differentiate between a 2008 Rolex GMT and one from 1968. My mechanical watches, both modern and vintage continue to work with the same precision as the day they left the factory. If history is an accurate measure, these manufacturers will continue to service them, keeping them running for generations to come. In a day where many product's effective life cycle is measured in months, mechanical timepieces can increase in intrinsic value over the years.

It's only handcrafted products that share this trait...and sadly, many can't point to even one item made by hand that they use daily. From the shoes on which we walk to the cars we drive, there are very few handcrafted items I use daily. I'm pleased to count my wristwatch as one of the remaining few.

Care to share your thoughts on the matter?
patrick_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 05:21 AM   #2
KLM

Watch: 14060M
Awesome post Patrick! I must agree 100%
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 06:00 AM   #3
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
Thank you for posting this says it all in a better way than I ever could. You are so right in what you say
The best post on TRF lately, no should I, what do you think, will it be safe to wear, or the dreaded price increase....................
Thank you for re focusing the mind on why I bought this watch in the first place.
Old 17 May 2008, 06:03 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Well thought out post, Patrick. You've just about said it all.....nothing more to add, except to say just one thing:

Want a watch with a heart and a soul? Then buy one with a lot of moving parts inside it!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 06:30 AM   #5
patrick_b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM View Post
Awesome post Patrick! I must agree 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by f16570 View Post
Thank you for posting this says it all in a better way than I ever could. You are so right in what you say
The best post on TRF lately, no should I, what do you think, will it be safe to wear, or the dreaded price increase....................
Thank you for re focusing the mind on why I bought this watch in the first place.

Thanks guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Well thought out post, Patrick. You've just about said it all.....nothing more to add, except to say just one thing:

Want a watch with a heart and a soul? Then buy one with a lot of moving parts inside it!!
Very well said, JJ. I like that one a lot.
Old 17 May 2008, 06:36 AM   #6
GMTJOHNNY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2007 DAY DATE 18KT
As a scientist, I remember hearing that "lasers would replace knives" a long time ago. Now lasers are used to sharpen knives.

Same for computers to replace clocks- now they are used to assist in the manufacture them!

Interesting how the "new" technology once thought to replace the
"old standard" is actually used to move the old standard further. I love human creativity! Amazing!

Mechanical keeps the human spirit within the watch, a digi-watch is [to me] cold and not personal- too sterile.

ROLEX AIR KING 14000 (1991)
ROLEX GMTIIC TT 116713LN (2008)
GMTJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 06:36 AM   #7
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Great post Patrick, spot-on & couldn't add anything to the replies
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 08:06 AM   #8
patrick_b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTJOHNNY View Post
As a scientist, I remember hearing that "lasers would replace knives" a long time ago. Now lasers are used to sharpen knives.

Same for computers to replace clocks- now they are used to assist in the manufacture them!

Interesting how the "new" technology once thought to replace the
"old standard" is actually used to move the old standard further. I love human creativity! Amazing!

Mechanical keeps the human spirit within the watch, a digi-watch is [to me] cold and not personal- too sterile.

Very interesting. And certainly something I hadn't even considered. Very well put.
Old 17 May 2008, 08:22 AM   #9
DS/B MINI S
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD & Exp II
I guess my love of watches stems from the fact that everything we do revolves around time. The mechanical aspect of automatic and hand wound watches fascinates me. The tolerances needed to make the gears, levers, bridges, etc perform are almost magic.

Of course, I also enjoy and take pride in the fact that I can own something that is considered 'world class.' Like custom knives, it feels good to use something that can be considered the very best.
Old 17 May 2008, 09:18 AM   #10
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Patrick!

Excellent post!

Imho, your post should be part of this Posts Of Fame thread.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 09:43 AM   #11
bsodmike
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5146 & AP 15300
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post
It's only handcrafted products that share this trait...and sadly, many can't point to even one item made by hand that they use daily. From the shoes on which we walk to the cars we drive, there are very few handcrafted items I use daily. I'm pleased to count my wristwatch as one of the remaining few.
Off the top of my head, three items I use daily that are handcrafted

Old 17 May 2008, 10:41 AM   #12
vjb.knife

Watch: Rolex Sub & GMTIIC
Quote:
If history is an accurate measure, these manufacturers will continue to service them, keeping them running for generations to come. In a day where many product's effective life cycle is measured in months, mechanical timepieces can increase in intrinsic value over the years.
I liked your post and agree with almost all of it. I am not trying to throw a monkey wrench into the good thoughts but I just wish this part of your post was entirely true of Rolex. Unfortunately Rolex has stopped servicing quite a few of the older models.
vjb.knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 10:45 AM   #13
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
Very well said Patrick, I dont know what else to say, your thread is incredible. Very brilliant indeed. I could not agree with you more.

Only question I have is, which Rolex model started it all for you when it comes to your love for the brand?

-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 11:03 AM   #14
Rawhyde

Watch: Blue Sub+Tud Chron
Great post! I haven't had any luck with electronic watches, and not much with non-Rolex mechanical watches either. I stay with whatever works, and Rolexes work!

Rawhyde
Rawhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 11:52 AM   #15
jlwc1974

Quote:
I find this question posed from time to time and recently tried to verbalize the answer to the questions, "why Rolex," and even, "why mechanical watches?"

i dont think Rolex watches are hand crafted
jlwc1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 06:39 PM   #16
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
Patrick, I totally agree with you. Nothing beats a wonderful timepiece. Well said.
Old 17 May 2008, 10:12 PM   #17
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Well said, Patrick!!!
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 11:10 PM   #18
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
one of these remaining few for me is:
ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 11:19 PM   #19
koevoet
"TRF" Member

Well said,one of the best posts I have read,and as somone else has mentioned, in this disposable culture that we are forced to live in it re-focuses the mind to what quality and craftsmanship really mean. Spot on Old Bean!
koevoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 05:22 AM   #20
patrick_b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trurolexer View Post
Well said, Patrick!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallr47 View Post
Patrick, I totally agree with you. Nothing beats a wonderful timepiece. Well said.
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koevoet View Post
Well said,one of the best posts I have read,and as somone else has mentioned, in this disposable culture that we are forced to live in it re-focuses the mind to what quality and craftsmanship really mean. Spot on Old Bean!
Well said koevoet. A good re-focus can't hurt at all!
Old 18 May 2008, 06:08 AM   #21
Portzed
"TRF" Member

Watch: My 1st 60's Timex
Patrick, the trick that 'did it' for me (in terms of appreciating a mechanical movement) was when I got my 1st SD in '90...I lived in awe of Rolex in those days...still do!!!.

I then had a first born in '95 and as a baby she would 'lull' off to sleep listening to the 'ning a ning a ning a'
that the movement made.

These days..she's 12 she still, (when on an adolescent downer ) asks to have my SD to go to bed with.

It gets her off to sleep in a rocket!
Portzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2008, 11:49 AM   #22
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Well said, Patrick!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 01:00 AM   #23
patrick_b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portzed View Post
Patrick, the trick that 'did it' for me (in terms of appreciating a mechanical movement) was when I got my 1st SD in '90...I lived in awe of Rolex in those days...still do!!!.

I then had a first born in '95 and as a baby she would 'lull' off to sleep listening to the 'ning a ning a ning a'
that the movement made.

These days..she's 12 she still, (when on an adolescent downer ) asks to have my SD to go to bed with.

It gets her off to sleep in a rocket!
That's very heartwarming, thanks for sharing.
Old 20 May 2008, 02:43 AM   #24
DrSheily
"TRF" Member

Right on!
DrSheily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 01:53 PM   #25
Haroldglen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
A great post. Very well said. You expressed the views of all of us who have chosen to own and wear a Rolex. Every time I look at my SS DJ I admire it for being such a precision instrument and a work of art. Many people have no appreciation for this and they would not recognize a Rolex from a Seiko. However, we who are members of this forum share this common bond of appreciation for these beautiful instruments, which we can someday hand down to our children.
Haroldglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2022, 10:18 AM   #26
gerry100
"TRF" Member

Rolexes may stop but they never die
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2022, 11:35 AM   #27
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Why mechanical watches? Why Rolex?

This is one time I appreciate a 14y.o. post being resurrected…

The OP, plus some well respected members shared some reassuring thoughts in this crazy time we find ourselves in currently.

Before Rolex became trade bait, investment voodoo, and impulsively sought after, we marveled at their engineering and the intrinsic value of a handmade mechanical timepiece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 06:19 AM   #28
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub 2005
Add this to it. Versus a cheap electronic disposable appliance watch that you won't remember having within a few years after dropping in the trash bin, a Rolex on your wrist reminds one of the striving for quality over cheap utility.

The striving for quality is what separates us.

One doesn't need a fine car to reach a designation nor a fine wine or whisky/whiskey or cigar to enjoy a fine moment, nor a fine house to keep out of the weather.

But it surely helps.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 07:04 AM   #29
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
While I completly agree with OP, I still wish to add my opinion to this thread.

I've had mechanical Rolexes but never really enjoyed them. I was tired of having to move them or else they would stop and in this case I had to set the day and time manually. This was the reason why I switched to quartz Rolexes, which ones I really like, because I can put on any of them at any time. There is no need to set the time/date, there is no need to worry about them. For me, these kind of precision and simplicity are the real features. Probably this is a different kind of mentality, as I think that these Rolexes are not cheap disposable applianes. :)
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 07:41 AM   #30
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
I've been a WIS all my life. Sure, Casio watches adorn my wrist in the right occasion.....Rolex and automatics are just part of being a WIS (for me).