The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 9 February 2020, 07:46 AM   #121
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
CDC is political.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Though I don't pretend to know how long a virus remains infectious at a given temperature on a given surface.
Old 9 February 2020, 09:57 AM   #122
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Farrkk guys. Stats spiked overnight

Old 9 February 2020, 10:13 AM   #123
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I would not be surprised if the numbers in China were significantly higher than reports indicate.
Old 9 February 2020, 10:18 AM   #124
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
I would not be surprised if the numbers in China were significantly higher than reports indicate.
It likely is. But logically if the fake numbers spike the real numbers are even worst
Old 9 February 2020, 01:37 PM   #125
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller TT Jub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
CDC is political.

Coronaviruses can persist on inanimate surfaces and remain infectious at room temperature for up to nine days, according to a study published Feb. 6 in the Journal of Hospital Infection.

Researchers analyzed 22 studies on coronaviruses, including literature on SARS and MERS. An analysis revealed that the viruses normally survive on surfaces between four and five days, but can remain infectious for up to nine days. Low temperatures and high air humidity increase the lifespan.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...udy-finds.html

Damn.

Thank you! That’s what I was looking for.

Crucial to know! Which means many more avenues the virus can spread via. Terrible news.
Old 10 February 2020, 01:48 AM   #126
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

I live in Bangkok, and it's really not a big deal. I don't even wear a mask and even the WHO says there is no reason to.

In January we had 30,000 people arrive from China, of that there were 6,000 directly from Wuhan. Even with those numbers, there are 32 cases, non of which were fatal.

The media and people have blown it way out of proportion outside of China. It has like a 2% fatality rating. Most of the cases here are treated, the people get better and are released. I think there is too much hype centered around it being a new virus and the potential that carries, but the reality is different.

However, the amount of racism that has stemmed from it is sad to see. I have seen people make racist statements like banning all Chinese, which I typically call them out on as being racist and ignorant.

In China, that is a different story. We will never know the actual truth. I'm sure it is difficult there, but I still doubt it will gain any more traction than it has already.
Old 10 February 2020, 01:58 AM   #127
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
I live in Bangkok, and it's really not a big deal. I don't even wear a mask and even the WHO says there is no reason to.

In January we had 30,000 people arrive from China, of that there were 6,000 directly from Wuhan. Even with those numbers, there are 32 cases, non of which were fatal.

The media and people have blown it way out of proportion outside of China. It has like a 2% fatality rating. Most of the cases here are treated, the people get better and are released. I think there is too much hype centered around it being a new virus and the potential that carries, but the reality is different.

However, the amount of racism that has stemmed from it is sad to see. I have seen people make racist statements like banning all Chinese, which I typically call them out on as being racist and ignorant.

In China, that is a different story. We will never know the actual truth. I'm sure it is difficult there, but I still doubt it will gain any more traction than it has already.

I’m not sure it’s blown out of proportion. Sorry to see the racism tho.

I mean it’s literally halting The Chinese economy. Given port closures, city closures... if it was not a concern and a run of the mill flu or cold. These measures would not be this drastic. If they didn’t make this a big deal it would be a lot worse than it is now. Contagiousness of the disease is a pretty big issue given they don’t actually have a vaccine. Comparisons to the flu are kind of silly in my mind as one is a known and treatable disease, while the other is aggressively expanding.

They are currently treating it with an AIDS cocktail similar to SARS.
Old 10 February 2020, 02:20 AM   #128
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Be careful of the racism comments, it’s not really racism. People are being understandably cautious, and that’s no bad thing. But it’s not about Chinese people. It’s about people in China, and that’s a massive difference when it comes to the racism discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 10 February 2020, 02:35 AM   #129
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Be careful of the racism comments, it’s not really racism. People are being understandably cautious, and that’s no bad thing. But it’s not about Chinese people. It’s about people in China, and that’s a massive difference when it comes to the racism discussion.

The difference between ethnicity and nationality has been blurred in the USA. Calling a Chinese National "Chinese" will get you fired from your job.
Old 10 February 2020, 03:16 AM   #130
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
The difference between ethnicity and nationality has been blurred in the USA. Calling a Chinese National "Chinese" will get you fired from your job.
Sorry, why would it get you fired? Please help a non-American understand! If the person is a Chinese national, surely they’re Chinese? In the same was I’m a British national and therefore would welcome being known as British, for example?!

There’s so much about the US that goes way beyond my head! A few posts earlier, apparently the CDC is political :thinking. Science seems to be political
Old 10 February 2020, 03:40 AM   #131
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:

2% fatality is pretty high
Old 10 February 2020, 04:22 AM   #132
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
2% fatality is pretty high
2% is a CDC number. For some reason they're down playing this, and taking China's numbers as fact, and if we learned anything from the SARS out break, it's that you can safely add several zeros to any numbers coming out of China.

The Lancet published a study showing an infection rate of 85% and a fatality rate of 15%

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...183-5/fulltext

And in a Chinese news conference Wang Gouqiang (infectious disease expert at Peking University Hospital) tried to make it sound promising when even his numbers put it nearer 17%

This is clearly more serious than is being admitted to.
Old 10 February 2020, 07:12 AM   #133
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
When I went to UPS to ship my Watch to Michael Young in Hong Kong, it was almost denied. Main land China at the time is only taking in aid like medicine, mask etc. Scary situation over there for sure. I wish them all best. It has surpassed severe acute respiratory syndrome from what I understand. I remember when people were freaking over that. Seemed like more panic then.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
Old 10 February 2020, 09:50 AM   #134
SeikoBake
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Hard to tell the difference between fact or fiction these days; did anyone read the headline today “ A billionaire whistleblower alleges Wuhan has crematoriums working 24/7. He claims they’ve cremated some 50,000 coronavirus victims.” ?

https://www.ccn.com/billionaire-whis...is-over-50000/
Old 10 February 2020, 09:57 AM   #135
Jim Beam
Banned

Watch: 116503
Lots of good discussion here. I choose to be in the camp that says that it’s not being blown out of proportion and we should remain cautious.

If you look at the actions of the Chinese government then it’s worrisome. For example, they recently asked Macau to stop operations and no travel is allowed there. That is a MASSIVE request and one that I’m sure was not made lightly. That does not coincide with the 800-ish deaths reported, it has to lead you to believe that the numbers are much higher.
Old 10 February 2020, 10:33 AM   #136
Fat_ninja
Banned

Stats hit 40k cases and 900 deaths
Old 10 February 2020, 10:13 PM   #137
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Still not scared. Fatality rate is low.

Google John Nicholls. He knows and is not downplaying it.
Old 11 February 2020, 01:56 AM   #138
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
People wearing masks makes me shake my head, false security. I am not a scientist, but know a virus is microscopic. If it survives being airborne, it would travel right through one of those paper filter masks.
Old 11 February 2020, 02:22 AM   #139
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
People wearing masks makes me shake my head, false security. I am not a scientist, but know a virus is microscopic. If it survives being airborne, it would travel right through one of those paper filter masks.
It's a limiter, not a preventer.
Old 11 February 2020, 02:24 AM   #140
edyu
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Mask prevents the wearer from infecting others. It's a good gesture.
Old 11 February 2020, 06:19 PM   #141
A971
"TRF" Member

Over 1,000 deaths now.

Couple clients in Sing enacting or testing BCP (backup procedures) to work from home.

Lot of biz travel in the region on lockdown.

Focus on supply chain disruptions for the moment, but I think the demand side is going to get rocked.

Feels like the level of concern in HK and Sing higher than before.

Stay safe everyone.

Old 11 February 2020, 06:44 PM   #142
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Stops you touching your face which is how a lot of virus get transmitted
Old 11 February 2020, 10:13 PM   #143
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Absolutely right. It wont stop 100%, but the VFE/PFE/BFE (or whatever theyre called) will put at least a roadblock up for the virus.

I personally still don't wear mask as everyone else is wearing. I make sure to wash my hands after having touched public things such as handles, doorhandles, elevator buttons etc. before even considering touching my face.
Old 11 February 2020, 10:25 PM   #144
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeikoBake View Post
Hard to tell the difference between fact or fiction these days; did anyone read the headline today “ A billionaire whistleblower alleges Wuhan has crematoriums working 24/7. He claims they’ve cremated some 50,000 coronavirus victims.” ?

https://www.ccn.com/billionaire-whis...is-over-50000/
I hate to post about 4chan, but you never know. There was a 4chan post by a supposed health worker in China. The person said there was a sectioned off 200 room area in one hospital and those were all for pneumonia based corona patients. The worker said the Chinese government was not counting deaths by pneumonia even though it was obviously a result of the virus. They also stated the rooms were being cleared weekly, so that was another 200-400 deaths per week. This was 4chan, so you need to take it with a HUGE grain of salt.
Old 11 February 2020, 11:30 PM   #145
mbalmz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

agree—from my perspective the mask is just useful bc it stops you touching your face all the time without noticing.
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
Old 12 February 2020, 01:02 AM   #146
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Just got back from an 11 day trip to Thailand and Singapore.

Majority of people wearing masks at all the airports we went to.

My wife and I wore masks during travel and in any extremely crowded areas like the market in Bangkok. Made sure to wash our hands frequently.
Old 12 February 2020, 01:03 AM   #147
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Just got back from an 11 day trip to Thailand and Singapore.

Majority of people wearing masks at all the airports we went to.

My wife and I wore masks during travel and in any extremely crowded areas like the market in Bangkok. Made sure to wash our hands frequently.
Old 12 February 2020, 09:54 AM   #148
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A971 View Post
Over 1,000 deaths now.
Wuhan, Shenzhen, and now Beijing on lock down because of 1000 deaths?

This is either a serious overreaction, or they're quite a few zeros short.

It's becoming more obvious by the day which of the two is correct.
Old 12 February 2020, 10:23 AM   #149
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Wuhan, Shenzhen, and now Beijing on lock down because of 1000 deaths?

This is either a serious overreaction, or they're quite a few zeros short.

It's becoming more obvious by the day which of the two is correct.

Or the government knows what it really is, and it's about to go viral. Cue The Who.
Old 12 February 2020, 10:35 AM   #150
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
I hate to post about 4chan....
4Chan is the last place I would look for facts.

It's amazing how much disinformation they disseminate around the world.

A lot of it is really funny, but then, when the concrete-thinkers get a hold of it, things can get nasty.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Closed Thread