The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 14 March 2020, 07:29 AM   #1891
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Help for a fabricated panic ............................

Had people not fallen for the hype, they wouldn’t need help.

Where was the panic and help during the Swine Flu ?
I wish I could be as certain as you, but I guess practicing emergency medicine for almost 30 years has jaded my optimism.
Old 14 March 2020, 07:44 AM   #1892
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
There is a running sarcastic "joke" by commentators on many Coronavirus youtube videos that one of the symptoms of Coronavirus is the sudden desire to travel internationally, especially when compared to influenza. It really does seem to be the case..

Flu: EWW, Let's stay away from everybody and not spread this #$% around.

Coronavirus: When is the next flight to XXXXX?? Never been there, seems like a great time to do some travelling or take a cruise!

I kid you not, a person I know decided this was a great time to take his first international cruise. That's right.

He just got back yesterday. When his HR dept found out he traveled overseas, they immediately sent him home and told him not to come back without a negative coronavirus test...

Well surely he was tested upon re-entry into the US, so he could just use that?

Nope. They only tested two passengers who were sick on the ship in the port. They were "negative" so everybody else got off the ship without a test.

Problem now is that he can't get a test from the health department as he is not symptomatic and he can't go back to work until he gets one.

What a mess. Again...he just suddenly thought it would be great to go on a cruise like 12days ago while the pandemic was ramping up..
Mrs Yoda shared a concerning, unfolding story.

A week or so ago, Mrs Yoda's friend "Jane" drove her mom to the airport for a flight to Philippines. Jane's mom would be staying just outside of Manila. Mrs Yoda warned Jane, but Jane said she didn't want to pay the airline cancellation fee.

What?

Mrs Yoda was like,

But Jane blew it off.

Then Manila got locked down on March 12.

Mrs Yoda isn't the type of person to say "I told you so." But everybody in their friend group is thinking it. Anyway, praying for Jane's mom.
Old 14 March 2020, 07:46 AM   #1893
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
There is a shutdown coming... These things are usually announced on weekends to help mitigate the effects. Expect a minimum of 14 days. Some 'Transportation ' companies are telling their employees to prepare.
If it does not happen, it will be a blessing.
A blessing?

I would consider a shutdown a blessing compared to the alternative.
Old 14 March 2020, 07:47 AM   #1894
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappuy1750 View Post
Bonus: if it's 120 proof or above, you can use it as hand sanitizer.
Old 14 March 2020, 07:50 AM   #1895
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
If the moon falls out of orbit and crashes into earth, we all will die. I’ll start making preparations now.
But the point is that there is no asteroid in sight, but 60% is a realistic prediction of how many people could catch the virus, unless we take preparations
Old 14 March 2020, 07:52 AM   #1896
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
There is a shutdown coming... These things are usually announced on weekends to help mitigate the effects. Expect a minimum of 14 days. Some 'Transportation ' companies are telling their employees to prepare.
If it does not happen, it will be a blessing.
I heard something very similar today through the grapevine (conversation involving a union that supports various "transportation" companies).
Old 14 March 2020, 08:27 AM   #1897
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Ok all I am going to re-open this thread but take notice of this final warning. If I have to clean up one more political post the thread closes and the member goes no questions asked.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 14 March 2020, 08:30 AM   #1898
77T
2024 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Ok all I am going to re-open this thread but take notice of this final warning. If I have to clean up one more political post the thread closes and the member goes no questions asked.

Ken
Thanks and I believe people sometimes can’t help themselves - but you’re right to take the actions needed to keep up TRF’s standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 14 March 2020, 08:40 AM   #1899
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
I heard something very similar today through the grapevine (conversation involving a union that supports various "transportation" companies).
Please expand upon what you are suggesting may take place?
Old 14 March 2020, 08:41 AM   #1900
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
My brother.

Thank you.

Truly it’s a great thread for the current climate.

Glad it’s open again. Thank you.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 14 March 2020, 08:46 AM   #1901
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Ken
Thanks and I believe people sometimes can’t help themselves - but you’re right to take the actions needed to keep up TRF’s standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes. Thank you Ken.
Old 14 March 2020, 08:52 AM   #1902
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
There are 8 confirmed cases in my hometown of San Diego (county wide). Out of a population of over two MILLION. So... roughly saying, the odds are around 250,000 to 1 of contracting this virus... even less of suffering long term health problems and even less of dying from it.

I don’t see what the panic is about.
Old 14 March 2020, 08:53 AM   #1903
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
Quote:
Just insta-ban anyone who pulls it that way - or responds to those posts and adds fuel to those fires.

My thoughts.
Old 14 March 2020, 09:11 AM   #1904
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
There are 8 confirmed cases in my hometown of San Diego (county wide). Out of a population of over two MILLION. So... roughly saying, the odds are around 250,000 to 1 of contracting this virus... even less of suffering long term health problems and even less of dying from it.

I don’t see what the panic is about.

Understand your view Paul and I agree that panic is a bad thing. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and is not in my opinion panic.

As far as the odds, I do not agree with you. Every geographic outbreak starts with a low number. Let's hope Sand Diego stays at 8 but the odds are against it.

Last check, WHO said each person infects 2-3. So, if not checked 8 infect 16-24. The issue is trying to slow these numbers so our health system can handle those that need care.

I read an quote from a doctor today that used the following analogy: You can put out a kitchen fire with a fire extinguisher. When the whole house is on fire, it is another matter.

Looks like the medical profession agrees that the only way to keep this from being a house fire is strong efforts of containment. Every epidemiologist at a major institution that I have heard discuss this, has said the same thing. They could all be wrong, but they may be correct.

Stay safe Paul.
Old 14 March 2020, 09:23 AM   #1905
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

My understanding the “deep concern” mode from a medical standpoint is that the severe usually elderly victims will need to be hospitalized and the fact that there are not/will not be enough ventilators to handle a major outbreak.

Lots of finger pointing about that is going on but that is the bottom line for the medical community. So containment is the order of the day.

In China a large part of the male population smoked and perhaps Italy as well. But lung issues seem to be the main victims.
Old 14 March 2020, 09:23 AM   #1906
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
Please expand upon what you are suggesting may take place?
Nothing official but potentially a significant uptick in flights getting cancelled.
Old 14 March 2020, 09:27 AM   #1907
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Nothing official but potentially a significant uptick in flights getting cancelled.
Thanks. Need to get my son home from college and those rumors are rampant. Everything from cancelled flights to closed airports. People are scrambling.
Old 14 March 2020, 09:28 AM   #1908
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. Need to get my son home from college and those rumors are rampant. Everything from cancelled flights to closed airports. People are scrambling.
Of course. Best of luck to you getting him back home. Hope it is not too difficult.
Old 14 March 2020, 09:30 AM   #1909
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Just be safe and diligent everyone, stay the F home if feeling bad till you know ... by June, possibly, much ado about nothing
Old 14 March 2020, 09:33 AM   #1910
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
I feel ya BP, my son is in Alaska working, that thankfully is one of the last states Not to have one case. Told him to stay there, though I will miss him

Old 14 March 2020, 09:37 AM   #1911
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Understand your view Paul and I agree that panic is a bad thing. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and is not in my opinion panic.

As far as the odds, I do not agree with you. Every geographic outbreak starts with a low number. Let's hope Sand Diego stays at 8 but the odds are against it.

Last check, WHO said each person infects 2-3. So, if not checked 8 infect 16-24. The issue is trying to slow these numbers so our health system can handle those that need care.

I read an quote from a doctor today that used the following analogy: You can put out a kitchen fire with a fire extinguisher. When the whole house is on fire, it is another matter.

Looks like the medical profession agrees that the only way to keep this from being a house fire is strong efforts of containment. Every epidemiologist at a major institution that I have heard discuss this, has said the same thing. They could all be wrong, but they may be correct.

Stay safe Paul.
Oh I agree with you that precautions are the normal and reasonable strategy; using hand sanitizer, washing your hands more often, if you are elderly or otherwise at a severe risk avoiding crowds etc. And I always think it is a good idea to have an emergency kit on hand for bad weather, power outages etc. But I just came from my local Vons grocery store, the scene was chaotic, people were hoarding everything and there were verbal altercations... and I was just in there long enough to buy a newspaper! WTF is wrong with people?
Old 14 March 2020, 09:40 AM   #1912
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
I feel ya BP, my son is in Alaska working, that thankfully is one of the last states Not to have one case. Told him to stay there, though I will miss him

Good luck to your son!! I think we are just filling the car and round tripping. Fortunately not to bad a ride but amazing how quickly this all took hold.

On a side note he tells me there is plenty of toilet paper in the dorms
Old 14 March 2020, 09:43 AM   #1913
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh I agree with you that precautions are the normal and reasonable strategy; using hand sanitizer, washing your hands more often, if you are elderly or otherwise at a severe risk avoiding crowds etc. And I always think it is a good idea to have an emergency kit on hand for bad weather, power outages etc. But I just came from my local Vons grocery store, the scene was chaotic, people were hoarding everything and there were verbal altercations... and I was just in there long enough to buy a newspaper! WTF is wrong with people?
I foresaw this and made preparations a while ago to avoid what you witnessed. I'm actually shocked that some are shocked this is happening.
Old 14 March 2020, 09:48 AM   #1914
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
My understanding the “deep concern” mode from a medical standpoint is that the severe usually elderly victims will need to be hospitalized and the fact that there are not/will not be enough ventilators to handle a major outbreak.

Lots of finger pointing about that is going on but that is the bottom line for the medical community. So containment is the order of the day.

In China a large part of the male population smoked and perhaps Italy as well. But lung issues seem to be the main victims.
I agree smoking and age may be contributing factors. I couldn't find an article about smoking, but there is some info about age.

Regarding age, Italy is the most top-heavy country in Europe in terms of aged people.
(source: https://www.livescience.com/why-ital...s-so-high.html)

The median age for those that died in Italy is 81 (as of March 11).
(source: https://www.thelocal.it/20200311/cor...ctims-in-italy)
Quote:
Little is known yet about the deceased patients specifically, other than the fact that their median age is 81, the majority of the deceased are male, and in more than two-thirds of cases they had three or more pre-existing conditions.
My heart goes out to the families of those who have succumbed to the virus. In Italy, personal contact is very much a part of the culture. Very sociable with lots of hugging and close contact. It's also heartbreaking, especially with the older people, where hugs and embraces--common expressions of love and friendship--can potentially result in tragic consequences.
Old 14 March 2020, 09:48 AM   #1915
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I foresaw this and made preparations a while ago to avoid what you witnessed. I'm actually shocked that some are shocked this is happening.
Me too. I didn’t know what the trigger was going to be, but I knew how people were going to behave.
Old 14 March 2020, 09:59 AM   #1916
Star Ferry
Banned

Had to cancel an international trip (to a lower risk country) planned for tomorrow. Too risky for my parents, especially my dad who has several health conditions.

Fortunately, was able to reschedule my booking to August at no cost.

I did take a domestic flight out of O'Hare this morning, and things seemed orderly there. It was busier than I expected it to be.
Old 14 March 2020, 10:02 AM   #1917
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
A friend of mine flew from Burbank to Tulsa today, said the airport was quieter than normal, but no panic of any type.
Old 14 March 2020, 10:03 AM   #1918
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
With the scarcity of TP keep that newspaper may come in handy

Hang in there, ultimately I still hope we will hear some stories of this bringing out the best in people.
Old 14 March 2020, 10:19 AM   #1919
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
From what I’ve seen and conversations I’ve had with varied personalities, there seems to be more panicking about panicking, than like actual panic...

I’m sure there are pockets of actual really real freak out, but overall most people are handling the situation itself pretty well.
Old 14 March 2020, 11:01 AM   #1920
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
From what I’ve seen and conversations I’ve had with varied personalities, there seems to be more panicking about panicking, than like actual panic...

I’m sure there are pockets of actual really real freak out, but overall most people are handling the situation itself pretty well.

Bananas display, March 13, 2020 1600 ET

No panic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bananas Mar13 2020.jpg (92.2 KB, 175 views)
Closed Thread