The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 8 October 2022, 01:56 PM   #1
Hula
"TRF" Member

Spring bar diameter for nato strap.

I used the factory bracelet spring bars on my 16610 sub for a nato strap. The first strap was a seat belt material nato and would not fit between the bars and case so I tried an issue UK that is super thin and it was tight but worked. What diameter bar should I use for a thicker nato?
Hula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 04:00 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Yes, you will have issues with a thick NATO using the standard spring bars but I would not substitute them for thinner bars especially when using a NATO strap.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 02:54 AM   #3
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hula View Post
I used the factory bracelet spring bars on my 16610 sub for a nato strap. The first strap was a seat belt material nato and would not fit between the bars and case so I tried an issue UK that is super thin and it was tight but worked. What diameter bar should I use for a thicker nato?
As long as it's a Swiss made, stainless springbar from Otto Frei or Esslinger I think you can safely move to a thinner diameter bar for a nato. Don't forget, even if one springbar breaks, the watch is still attached to the nato unlike with a bracelet or standard 2 piece strap.

The FB-7895 is what I have on my 1675 GMT for using a nato. But we'd need to know what case you have (holes vs not) to know whether you need shoulders. Also, measuring your current bar thickness would give a good starting point to know what "thinner" actually is in your case.

https://www.ofrei.com/page1229.html
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 08:55 AM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
As long as it's a Swiss made, stainless springbar from Otto Frei or Esslinger I think you can safely move to a thinner diameter bar for a nato. Don't forget, even if one springbar breaks, the watch is still attached to the nato unlike with a bracelet or standard 2 piece strap.

The FB-7895 is what I have on my 1675 GMT for using a nato. But we'd need to know what case you have (holes vs not) to know whether you need shoulders. Also, measuring your current bar thickness would give a good starting point to know what "thinner" actually is in your case.

https://www.ofrei.com/page1229.html
Well there you have it Hula.

Jeff is giving you a warranty on your thinner springbar.

Nice one J.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 12:10 PM   #5
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

To be clear, the bars I linked are 2.0mm which as far as I know is the factory diameter for 16610. These bars are listed by Frei to work with the 16610. They also provide ample clearance on my 1675 for a run of the mill nato. IFF the 16610 is too tight of a fit with these I would personally be comfortable going to a 1.8mm bar, but I wouldn't start there until I knew the 2.0 was too tight.

As mentioned, all of my comments come with the standard "some guy on the internet said" warranty. Last I checked this is RSC recognized and approved
Old 13 November 2022, 04:16 AM   #6
34SF
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15570
"But we'd need to know what case you have (holes vs not) to know whether you need shoulders."

HiBoost, For a 16600 no holes, how would I figure this out? There are shoulders on the OEM bars but I would like more "meat" for a NATO since the whole idea makes me a bit nervous.
34SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2022, 12:07 PM   #7
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34SF View Post
"But we'd need to know what case you have (holes vs not) to know whether you need shoulders."

HiBoost, For a 16600 no holes, how would I figure this out? There are shoulders on the OEM bars but I would like more "meat" for a NATO since the whole idea makes me a bit nervous.
I'm not sure I'm understanding... are you saying you want a spring bar that is thicker than the OEM one? Is that what you mean by more meat?
Old 15 November 2022, 08:02 AM   #8
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
For the reasons outlined above, a quality NATO band is almost essential
in serious commercial or military diving. That is, if your watch deserves to be retained .
As HB has stated, one lost or broken spring bar with a NATO strap will still retain your watch . As strong as Rolex bracelets are, especially in recent ocean-going references,
a parted or damaged spring bar may still spell disaster in limited visibility.
This is the reason that some earlier Rolex military references had bars that were soldered in place. {As in some COMEX and 5517 tool watch references.}
I do not own any watches without drilled lugs. A 1680 Submariner has endured 50 years of use in very demanding conditions including military dives and parachute night drops.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote