The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 December 2022, 02:29 AM   #31
EvelynWaugh
"TRF" Member

Grey is your answer.
EvelynWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2022, 03:40 AM   #32
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hougenie View Post
I suppose the perception comes from this being stated by ADs themselves.
I have found my email confirmation and I quote
"Allocation of this model will also be prioritised to those customers who have a previous Rolex purchase history with the Watches of Switzerland Group"

Guess that answers your question.

Clearly doesn't seem to be the case in real life though

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk
Have you been back in touch with them now that you’ve found the original confirmation email? Might shift the goalposts a little.....
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2022, 03:43 AM   #33
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex Rolex View Post
My impression is that buying Rolex watches actually works against you, in getting the next one.

Reading between the lines, it’s as if they have a policy to sell 3 watches to 3 different people, versus selling 3 to 1 person.

Now, if you’re buying diamonds, and bracelets, and necklaces, then I think you are first on the list for Rolex watches, over the guy that’s bought 1 or 2 Rolex watches.
Think you’re probably right on the money here. Rolex makes fantastic products and it’s a real shame to see them reduced to little more than leverage for ADs to sell overpriced baubles.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2022, 06:41 AM   #34
Hougenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
Have you been back in touch with them now that you’ve found the original confirmation email? Might shift the goalposts a little.....
I have, they have booked a telephone call with me tomorrow so we shall see what comes of it

Hougenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2022, 06:48 AM   #35
Hougenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
You bought 2 watches in the last 5 years. How do you know there are not 100 people or more that have bought 2-3 in the past year with 10+ over the past 2 years.

I totally get your frustration but there are people who buy lots of stuff from these stores and not just Rolex.
I don't and I would expect them to have preferential treatment over me.
Someone suggested that the idea that a repeat Rolex customer would get preferential treatment went against common sense hence the post above.

Old 14 December 2022, 06:53 AM   #36
sleepydoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have, they have booked a telephone call with me tomorrow so we shall see what comes of it

Let us know what transpires. Good luck
sleepydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2022, 06:54 AM   #37
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
No joke, I have purchased like 8 or 9 Rolexes from the same AD. The last two times I have talked with them I was told straight up, and I quote, "Rolexes are for people who buy other stuff." Hate to break it to you, but you were never on the list, the list doesn't exist, and you should move on.
Brutal, worst customer service experience I've read about. With purchase history at that, Smh.
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2022, 06:54 AM   #38
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Wait. Time is on your side if you’re a buyer. Lots of guys “getting the call” these days and it seems like quite a few passing on their watches. I think in a year we’re going to see only a few pieces that are very difficult to impossible to get, but many stainless pieces will be relatively easy with much shorter wait times. If you really want to know where the market truly is, ignore grey dealer asking prices and ask them to give you a buy bid for one of your watches. It’s an eye-opener.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 06:29 AM   #39
Hougenie
"TRF" Member

Update. Spoke to SA. Initially tried to claim that was a generic email .....where he confirmed my addition to the "list" and I confirmed via email.
I forwarded him email. Now he says he will look in to it but wait still at least 5 years and those who spend most get first pick.

All in all pointless but let's not lose sight of the fact these are luxury products and it doesn't really matter. Just won't be spending any money on the engagement ring or any other watch from the group.

I'm sure many others will happily take my money Haha.

Old 15 December 2022, 07:17 AM   #40
gerry100
"TRF" Member

patience
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 09:30 AM   #41
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. In essence you all confirm what I thought, forget it and move on.
It's no big deal, the customer care used to be better but so did many things in the UK haha.
Ho Hum.

out of curiousity, was this a WOS group store?
Old 15 December 2022, 09:51 AM   #42
Baiv
Banned

Watch: SubLV
Sorry to hear about that another AD maybe?
Baiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 11:51 AM   #43
quebec
Banned

I'd instead go grey than allow AD to frustrate the love Rolex out of me.
quebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 11:56 AM   #44
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Don’t waste your time. Go grey and call it a day.
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 01:11 PM   #45
msu_1972
Banned

Watch: Panda, BLNR
Even though your SA left the store, wouldn't the store still have a history of your purchase within their system?

Do you have any special celebration coming up? I see that AD are more likely to allocate a special piece to customers that are marking a special occasion in life, such as a wedding anniversary or a birthday milestone. So, maybe you can talk to a new SA to let them know you are a returning customer and say you want this BLNR to mark a special occasion in your life.

Also it doesn't hurt to pop into your AD once every other week just to say, "hi" so that they remember who you are. That's what I had to do to get my BLNR and Panda Daytona. I'm still occasionally stopping in just to say hello to my SA so that doesn't forget I am interested in some other watches on my list.

Best of luck to you and getting the BLNR.
msu_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 03:42 PM   #46
"TRF" Member

Hate to break it to you but no one cares about your purchase history pre Covid. You’re basically a new customer to them.
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 04:56 PM   #47
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1259 View Post
Hate to break it to you but no one cares about your purchase history pre Covid. You’re basically a new customer to them.
Yes, this is unfortunately true.

In the last 3 years they have probably had 5000+ requests from other customers asking for a GMT.

A portion of their customers are already buying stuff like jewelry, and/or other brands - stuff that doesn't easily sell.

Ask yourself why you are more important than the other 5000 people that also wants one.

I'm sure they have hundreds of clients that are already buying jewelry that makes your 2 watches in 5 years history look like a drop in the ocean. Very likely these clients also want a GMT.

They have no problem selling a Rolex, but they also want & need to unload the other inventory they have.

That's the hard truth of a stores so called "waitlist".
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 05:10 PM   #48
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
It's the unfortunate state of this hobby. Sorry about your experience. These supposed waitlists have no particular order IMO even if your name was on a "list" anyways. AD's will sell to clients they want to sell to when they want to. I've gotten hard to get pieces from my AD on short notice and I know they have a LONG "list" of people waiting for one. It comes down to the relationship and overall spend history, not just Rolex purchases. It's the ugly and unfortunate reality I guess. It's best you start over with a new SA or AD and hopefully you strike up a good rapport with one.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 05:40 PM   #49
waxy88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like you're thinking... let's move on for conversations sake.....which competitive brands do we like at the mo?

There are so many other amazing watches by other brands out there. For me buying other brands to get a Rolex is not really a chore at all.
Last weekend I picked up a new 2022 46mm Breitling Navitimer and I love it.

Take a look at the new Omega Speedmaster, such a super cool watch.

My current favourite brand and next on my hit list is a JLC, they make incredible watches and I highly recommend checking out Reverso, Polaris or Master Control
waxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 06:39 PM   #50
Rp121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
out of curiousity, was this a WOS group store?
Sounds like WoS group behaviour. A bunch of total time wasters. I’d definitely rather, and will be going grey than to build up a ‘relationship’ with some tatter in a cheap suit acting like he owns the Rolex company.
Rp121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 06:53 PM   #51
SpiritSoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio A500
Quote:
Hi all,

Been a while.
Some history - bought a sub and ladies datejust from the same AD over the past 5 years or so.
Bought the DJ 2 years ago and asked to be added to waiting list for GMT II batman which I was told had happened.

Called the AD last week to check on any progress to find out I'm not on the list and without any email/text confirmation I cannot be added as the list is closed (UK).
The sales rep I had been dealing with has since left the store.

This is pretty frustrating and given the fact I've bought 2 Rolex watches from them I would have hoped they could have helped a little more.

Any advice at all or just suck it up?

Cheers guys & girls.

WoS by any chance? They magically changed my date of registry from early 2021 to 2022.... putting me further back in their mythical lists....
SpiritSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 07:01 PM   #52
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritSoul View Post
WoS by any chance? They magically changed my date of registry from early 2021 to 2022.... putting me further back in their mythical lists....
Imagine the following scenario:

You walk into an AD as a new customer and register your interest for a GMT Pepsi in 2019.

3 years later they get a Pepsi in the store. There's no one, besides you, in their system that has expressed interest for a GMT Pepsi. Just as the manager is about to ring you up, he is interrupted by a new client walking in that buys a €15k diamond necklace for his wife and a €12k Breitling. He then asks if they by any chance have a Pepsi, as he has been looking for one of those for a while.

Question 1: From a business perspective, who is the better client to sell the Pepsi to?

Question 2: Who do you think gets the Pepsi?

Question 2: Are waitlists real? and in the grand scheme of things does it matter that you were moved from 21' to 22'?
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 12:11 AM   #53
DBCooper07
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I've given up on AD's and could care less if I ever obtain a Rolex from and AD. I've been burned multiple times because I refuse to buy jewelry I don't want or use. When the market turns and they do call "us" the people actually want the watches and enjoy them. So they can keep the lights on because all the rich and flippers are gone... I'll be like how's it feel to wait? Give me a discount! I'm done playing the Rolex game, I'll wear clones/homages what ever. I really don't care for these games anymore.
DBCooper07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 05:54 AM   #54
Hougenie
"TRF" Member

Yep WOS. Is this standard from them then? As above I'm not really that bothered I love the sub I have and while an addition would be nice I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
Grey may be the answer if I feel the itch must be scratched but in the meantime I'll happily check out some other brands as mentioned above.
Thanks all, although disappointing it seems it's not unusual.

Old 16 December 2022, 06:12 AM   #55
LC23
"TRF" Member

keep dropping by, say hi, wish them happy holidays, annnnnnd suck it up lol
Old 16 December 2022, 06:19 AM   #56
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
My AD said you want a Rolex you have to buy some
Jewelry. They are not shy to tell you this is how you now build relationships to get a Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 07:38 AM   #57
Hougenie
"TRF" Member

At the end of the day it's all a silly game played by Rolex, the ADs and us. Why on earth should you have to buy stuff, "build up a relationship" etc to spend your hard earned money on something at retail price. When you take a step back it really makes no sense at all haha.

That's another topic though

Old 16 December 2022, 08:11 AM   #58
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
At the end of the day it's all a silly game played by Rolex, the ADs and us. Why on earth should you have to buy stuff, "build up a relationship" etc to spend your hard earned money on something at retail price. When you take a step back it really makes no sense at all haha.

The reality: Rolex could raise their MSRP 20% across the board and it would not hurt their sales one bit
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 11:16 AM   #59
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Grey unless you can wait till your 80..
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 12:01 PM   #60
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Because there are probably 50 people for every watch…
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote