The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 January 2023, 06:57 AM   #61
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Live where you want.
The same site has a Canadacentric list you might enjoy

https://www.worldsbestcities.com/ran...-small-cities/
Old 7 January 2023, 07:00 AM   #62
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Sad how every thread turns into this same thinly disguised set of arguments by the same people.

Live where you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
In fairness, Blanksy, it’s a ranking about which cities are better. Placing, e.g. Baltimore, in a list of top cities should predictably provoke discussion of its egregious public safety issues. I’d go so far as to say not mentioning safety/crime in this discussion would be biased. How can we discuss a ranking of cities without addressing what many folks consider the biggest issue facing cities today?

From the perspective of people who do care about crime and how it affects the world around them, you consistently make the same arguments thread after thread. I see crime firsthand everyday. I am not sitting in a suburban gated community parroting Fox News, and neither are many others — that’s a straw man.
Also, if people are going to throw stats out there, then they're fair game to discuss.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 07:26 AM   #63
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
There is literally no possible way that the Kensington section of Philadelphia or West Garfield Park section of Chicago is safer than anywhere in TX, LA, MS, FL, OK, etc. It's ridiculous to even suggest they are.
I agree that it should be zip code based.

I disagree that “ANYWHERE in TX, LA, MS, FL, OK, etc” are safer than Kensington section of Philly or West Garfield Park Chicago.

There are some very unsavory places in the 5 states you mentioned and I presume in the “etc” states as well. It all comes down to centralized areas. Hence my agreement about zip codes.

I’ve been all over the world and sometimes found myself in bad neighborhoods at inopportune times and only had two attempted car jackings. The first was about 13 miles from where I currently live (in Florida). It was on a US highway at a stop light in a neglected area of town at night. The second was in a better area, not even 4 miles from my home on a two lane corridor street, again stopped at a stop light at night.

Just for reference the aggressors had guns both times and were of different demographics.

TLDR; every city in America with >100k citizens has its unscrupulous parts. Most likely even less population than 100k.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 07:33 AM   #64
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
You and I know that Larry but let’s keep telling everyone it really sucks here
Mildred asks if her room is ready yet?

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 07:34 AM   #65
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Ranked: Worlds Best Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I agree that it should be zip code based.

I disagree that “ANYWHERE in TX, LA, MS, FL, OK, etc” are safer than Kensington section of Philly or West Garfield Park Chicago.

There are some very unsavory places in the 5 states you mentioned and I presume in the “etc” states as well. It all comes down to centralized areas. Hence my agreement about zip codes.

I’ve been all over the world and sometimes found myself in bad neighborhoods at inopportune times and only had two attempted car jackings. The first was about 13 miles from where I currently live (in Florida). It was on a US highway at a stop light in a neglected area of town at night. The second was in a better area, not even 4 miles from my home on a two lane corridor street, again stopped at a stop light at night.

Just for reference the aggressors had guns both times and were of different demographics.

TLDR; every city in America with >100k citizens has its unscrupulous parts. Most likely even less population than 100k.

Yeah, what I meant is that you can't make a generalized statement that being in one state is safer than being in another state.

Clearly being in the West Garfield Park Section of Chicago is not safer than being in Plano, TX.

So you can’t say IL is safer than TX.
Old 7 January 2023, 07:38 AM   #66
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
"23. Budapest
The Old World beguiles in the Hungarian capital."

I have many friends who have been to Budapest, it's very a popular destination, I have never heard a bad word said about it (Or should that be "about them" Buda and Pest?)

DAVE

Old 7 January 2023, 07:46 AM   #67
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yeah, what I meant is that you can't make a generalized statement that being in one state is safer than being in another state.

I must have misunderstood because your original post I quoted said just that.

Old 7 January 2023, 07:49 AM   #68
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Ha! San Diego, CA #32 That's Laughable! Way underrated.

Agree. Should be top 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 07:54 AM   #69
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I must have misunderstood because your original post I quoted said just that.

I was trying to give examples as to why living in IL or PA might not be safer than TX or FL. This was based on the list of supposedly safe states vs more dangerous state that was posted.

You can’t make a blanket statement that being in PA is safer than being in FL. I used North Philly and the Kensington sections of Philly as examples. Literally war zones.

No way are they safer than St John’s County for example. Also, no reasonable person would ever suggest that the worst sections of Chicago are safer than Ponte Vedra, FL.

Old 7 January 2023, 08:18 AM   #70
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Naturally, the purpose this list is not to be accurate, but rather to stir up controversy and get clicks, which it has done beautifully.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 08:22 AM   #71
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was trying to give examples as to why living in IL or PA might not be safer than TX or FL. This was based on the list of supposedly safe states vs more dangerous state that was posted.

You can’t make a blanket statement that being in PA is safer than being in FL. I used North Philly and the Kensington sections of Philly as examples. Literally war zones.

No way are they safer than St John’s County for example. Also, no reasonable person would ever suggest that the worst sections of Chicago are safer than Ponte Vedra, FL.

Hey. Stray golf balls are dangerous in PV!

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 08:37 AM   #72
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I have many friends who have been to Budapest, it's very a popular destination, I have never heard a bad word said about it (Or should that be "about them" Buda and Pest?)
You are always welcomed here, and you are well informed.

Buda and Pest were two separate cities on the two parts of the river Danube. These were the ones who decided to join together to establish Budapest exactly one and a half century ago. But even it happened a long time ago, we still call these areas on their former names, as they are a lot of differences left: Pest is the more urban and a lot bigger, but it's completly flat. Buda is more hilly and a more residental area.

Nowadays we are working on to make the city more impressively, but it's not an easy thing to do, as Budapest had no luck at all in the world wars. The damages, the soviet destruction for almost fifty years are still here, but at least these wounds are healing day by day. Therefore it's an interesting to live here or to visit Hungary, as even we can marvel at the reconstructed buildings in each year

Therefore Budapest is nowadays exactly the city that you can't visit twice with the same impression. Upon this, in the same time the city gets more clean, nicer, and even a very safe city while it still can remain "a small town" compared to the metropolices. Therefore it's a good to live here
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 09:09 AM   #73
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Mildred asks if her room is ready yet?
Not yet Dave, it is taking extra time to translate everything from American in to British
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 09:19 AM   #74
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

But you didn’t say that. You compared localized areas in Illinois and Pennsylvania to “ANYWHERE” in 5 different states, not including the “etc” at the end.

Old 7 January 2023, 09:39 AM   #75
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Let’s unpack their highly questionable methodology.

Place: totally subjective

Product: university rankings and pro sports teams both heavily slant in favor of the USA.

Programming: totally subjective

People: they gave a boost for ethnic diversity, immigration, and foreign-born residents, which is probably what’s boosting London and US cities and dragging down more homogenous cities (e.g., Shanghai, Seoul, Hong Kong)

Prosperity: giving credit for Fortune 500 companies is heavily biased in the favor of the USA. Income equality is a boost, which probably holds back Asia and South America. Income is a factor, which should favor the US if not being adjusted for local prices.

Promotion: Literally this includes 4 US websites: Google, Facebook, Instagram, and TripAdvisor. They probably only conducted the searches in the English language, which is another massive source of bias. There’s a lot of content in the Chinese language internet, Spanish language internet, etc. that would be missed, even within the four sites they chose.
In addition, this is a marketing firm using their own subjective criteria. And their clients? The tourism industry.
Old 7 January 2023, 09:57 AM   #76
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Not yet Dave, it is taking extra time to translate everything from American in to British
American to English Paul, not British.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 10:10 AM   #77
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
But you didn’t say that. You compared localized areas in Illinois and Pennsylvania to “ANYWHERE” in 5 different states, not including the “etc” at the end.

I find it highly unlikely there is any place in FL, TX, MS, etc. like those localized areas in Chicago or Philadelphia.

Can you give examples of places worse than West Garfield Park in Chicago or the Kensington section of Philly?

Maybe in war ravaged Ukraine???

https://youtu.be/IyBkJES4QyU

Old 7 January 2023, 10:54 AM   #78
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I find it highly unlikely there is any place in FL, TX, MS, etc. like those localized areas in Chicago or Philadelphia.

Can you give examples of places worse than West Garfield Park in Chicago or the Kensington section of Philly?

Maybe in war ravaged Ukraine???

https://youtu.be/IyBkJES4QyU

Granted this is info from 2017. That being said Philly Metro area nor Chicago metro area even made the list.

Btw, you still haven’t responded to being called out on your hypocritical statement.

Old 7 January 2023, 11:03 AM   #79
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Oh….

Old 7 January 2023, 11:10 AM   #80
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Granted this is info from 2017. That being said Philly Metro area nor Chicago metro area even made the list.

Btw, you still haven’t responded to being called out on your hypocritical statement.

That’s not sufficient data. If these areas weren’t part of a greater a city, they would be at the top of the list.

You still haven’t provided examples of zip codes or specific areas worse than what I listed.

Like I said, macro data at a state or even a city level doesn’t tell the full story.

What are the most dangerous areas in America??

I’m suggesting that those 2 areas are as bad as can be.

There is nothing like the Kensington section of Philadelphia in FL. NOTHING!

I’m not talking about the entire city of Philly, I’m talking about this specific area.

Old 7 January 2023, 11:29 AM   #81
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

This thread is a microcosm of why crime will never be properly dealt with in America.

We completely ignore the most horrible neighborhoods and zip codes in the largest American cities and then make blanket statements like, “things are just as bad in TX, FL, blah blah blah).”

Old 7 January 2023, 11:34 AM   #82
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Unless I am reading this wrong, … One interesting thing I find in those charts is that Hawaii and Alaska have the lowest rates of poverty.

Interesting…
Old 7 January 2023, 11:36 AM   #83
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This thread is a microcosm of why crime will never be properly dealt with in America.

We completely ignore the most horrible neighborhoods and zip codes in the largest American cities and then make blanket statements like, “things are just as bad in TX, FL, blah blah blah).”

i'm sure there are some really bad parts of houston. granted the issue with kensington and parts of chicago is that they actually look horrible and they're urban areas. florida and texas are much bigger states and much more suburban, but i wouldn't be surprised if houston had some areas that are relatively similar in terms of crime rates, though they might not look as bad as the worst parts of chicago. i don't know if florida has any areas as bad as chicago though, although that entire area that borders alabama looks like it could be the wild west because what is there to even do there lol
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 11:47 AM   #84
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Quote:
Unless I am reading this wrong, … One interesting thing I find in those charts is that Hawaii and Alaska have the lowest rates of poverty.

Interesting…
That is for a specific city (Anchorage, Honolulu) within those states. Also those states are not within the contiguous US which probably accounts for a lot in regards.
JoeJoeBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 11:57 AM   #85
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
I’m from Los Angeles and moved to Coachella Valley seven years ago . I always loved cities ( Los Angeles , New York , London , Amsterdam etc . ) now I could care less about visiting cities these days . I really dislike the people , clamor and filth . I’m happy where I am and usually just go to L.A. for a Dodgers game and back home , and also Los Angeles is a city and a County not just S.F.
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 12:14 PM   #86
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Sad to hear that. It’s been a long long time since I last visited, but it was really a great spot back in the day.
A business relationship of mine was right on the inner harbor for years. He told me a story about how outside of his office just half a block from inner harbor someone was shot in the head for looking at another’s girlfriend. That’s when he decided to leave the area and set up business elsewhere. The lack of respect for and value of human life is staggering.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 01:01 PM   #87
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

to add to my other post :

there's a guy on youtube who makes videos of driving through bad areas. gonna post some videos and just looking through 30 seconds of each is enough

here's a video of houston which looks like a war zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM2vLB0gRQQ

san antonio (also horrible):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcPl_pm1v3U

west palm beach florida :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb8g9lWjJaQ

miami :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10KzWPPFHHM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtghpwpHjlc

orlando :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIiHncuP4Ak

all you have to do is just skip through these videos but personally i don't think there's an argument that can be made that any of these are better than parts of chicago/philly/baltimore/etc, they're just less dense. i think every city has pockets that look like third world countries, some are just more known than others. i would've never known san antonio has places like that if it wasn't for this guy because you never hear much about san antonio

here's one of philly and i will say it does look worse, but i think it's due to the density and the fact that it's so urban

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4sVPvhrIJE

and since everyone piles up on cali here's skid row in LA which looks like philly lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CimWtc6fKqw
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 02:37 PM   #88
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post

there's a guy on youtube who makes videos of driving through bad areas. gonna post some videos and just looking through 30 seconds of each is enough

miami :

orlando :

all you have to do is just skip through these videos but personally i don't think there's an argument that can be made that any of these are better than parts of chicago/philly/baltimore/etc, they're just less dense. i think every city has pockets that look like third world countries, some are just more known than others. i would've never known san antonio has places like that if it wasn't for this guy because you never hear much about san antonio

here's one of philly and i will say it does look worse, but i think it's due to the density and the fact that it's so urban

and since everyone piles up on cali here's skid row in LA which looks like philly lol
Very complex, how does one break the cycle.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 06:56 PM   #89
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Definitely.

DAVE

Old 7 January 2023, 07:40 PM   #90
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post

miami :

orlando :

The other thing about Philly is the sheer amount of square miles these “war zone” areas are in size. Possibly as much as 50 square miles. That’s what separates Philly from some of the other cities. It’s not just a tiny section of the city. Although LA or Chicago might be similar in size too I suppose. I don’t know for sure.

These areas are never going to be dealt with and rehabilitated. They’re just ignored and never discussed. It’s awful.