The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 January 2023, 03:01 AM   #121
1hoot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp II Polar
Best I can gather, my electric bill is about $50/mo less than comparable homes. While I think favorably of the savings, there's no tradeoff, we like it on the cool side. Additionally, for me, theres a personal satisfaction to living efficiently/frugally.
1hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 03:25 AM   #122
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Start early, save a percent of your income automatically to target an amount and age you feel comfortable retiring with. Spend the rest and enjoy life because tomorrow is never promised.
Old 17 January 2023, 03:25 AM   #123
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hoot View Post
Best I can gather, my electric bill is about $50/mo less than comparable homes. While I think favorably of the savings, there's no tradeoff, we like it on the cool side. Additionally, for me, theres a personal satisfaction to living efficiently/frugally.
Thanks, Steve.
Old 18 January 2023, 02:38 AM   #124
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
If I can cut my $15/day coffee habit I’ll be flying. Looking for a new automatic espresso machine as I type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 02:57 AM   #125
cartesian Product
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
If I can cut my $15/day coffee habit I’ll be flying. Looking for a new automatic espresso machine as I type.
I am very satisfied with the Elektra Semi Automatica and ECM Synchronika. Additionally, I have a high-end Miele that I dislike and don't use.
cartesian Product is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 04:27 AM   #126
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Only a Floridian can set the AC to 76 lol I keep that mofo at 68 in the summer and it’s only 80s.
77 at my house
Old 18 January 2023, 11:25 AM   #127
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartesian Product View Post
I am very satisfied with the Elektra Semi Automatica and ECM Synchronika. Additionally, I have a high-end Miele that I dislike and don't use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 01:19 PM   #128
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
I have honestly gone the other way on this. I am trying to not sweat the small stuff as much as I used to. Dinner, sbux, whatever, I have stopped thinking about it. House is always comfortable. Reality is if I want to save money I would stop buying expensive watches, cars, trips, house, etc. That is where the money is. Utilities, coffee, lunches, they just don’t move the needle anymore. As I have aged my materiality threshold for giving a sh@t has gone up quite a bit.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 03:36 PM   #129
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
I have honestly gone the other way on this. I am trying to not sweat the small stuff as much as I used to. Dinner, sbux, whatever, I have stopped thinking about it. House is always comfortable. Reality is if I want to save money I would stop buying expensive watches, cars, trips, house, etc. That is where the money is. Utilities, coffee, lunches, they just don’t move the needle anymore. As I have aged my materiality threshold for giving a sh@t has gone up quite a bit.
Same for me. Saving a few hundred dollars a month is not really noticeable, and I assume it's the same for many on here. If I really wanted to "save" an amount of money that would be somewhat significant, it would mean giving up many of the things that make me and our family happy like having a smaller home, driving cars I wouldn't like, selling my hunting properties, not traveling as often, or not having 4 kids in private school. We live very frugally for our means, and even then live a very nice lifestyle. I have tried to focus on spending to create memories for our family and improve experiences with our kids with travel, private school, activities, etc. We also enjoy eating out often.

My goal has been to save roughly as much as we spend, and as long as I do that I do not worry about the spending. For the last several years I have tried to live by percentages....roughly...spend 30%, save/invest/extra debt payments 30%, pay 30% in taxes, and tithe/give 10%.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 11:38 PM   #130
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHorton View Post
Same for me. Saving a few hundred dollars a month is not really noticeable, and I assume it's the same for many on here. If I really wanted to "save" an amount of money that would be somewhat significant, it would mean giving up many of the things that make me and our family happy like having a smaller home, driving cars I wouldn't like, selling my hunting properties, not traveling as often, or not having 4 kids in private school. We live very frugally for our means, and even then live a very nice lifestyle. I have tried to focus on spending to create memories for our family and improve experiences with our kids with travel, private school, activities, etc. We also enjoy eating out often.

My goal has been to save roughly as much as we spend, and as long as I do that I do not worry about the spending. For the last several years I have tried to live by percentages....roughly...spend 30%, save/invest/extra debt payments 30%, pay 30% in taxes, and tithe/give 10%.
This is why I love conversations like this. It makes me realize how different we all are, and how our goals, and therefore strategies, differ.

For me, I’m actually similar. I don’t sweat what I spend in discretionary money. I’m basically ready for retirement now. So while I still make an effort to save, it’s not a priority.

As stated above, my goal now is simply to watch my fixed expenses. I don’t mind bigger purchases either, as I have it all planned out. Or I sell something to pay for something else.

What I don’t want is to increase my monthly nut. So I pay cash instead of having large monthly expenses such as a car payment or a mortgage payment. I don’t want big RE taxes (too late, as I’m in jersey) and I simply don’t want to have big numbers hanging over my head.

My reasoning is that I know I can always simply cut back on discretionary spending or stop buying big ticket items. But if I have a big monthly nut, required payments, it puts me in a pickle if shit ever hits the fan.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 11:55 PM   #131
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
At your age (closer to retirement) I think that is a very sound strategy. I am several years younger (43), so I am beginning the debt reduction phase of my financial plan. The last 15 years were strictly asset accumulation. Once those monthly payments are gone the idea of retirement is so much more tangible, and the closer you get, the less risk you want/need to take. Congrats on your success!
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 11:56 PM   #132
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonehiker View Post
Perhaps the obvious is more a frame of mind: buy what you need and not what you want. Examine whether you really need something, and if the answer is no, just move on.
I hear you. Needs are met and the wants are well curated. My wife and I simplified our life quite a bit. We simply do not have the money pits that many around us do.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 11:56 PM   #133
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
This is why I love conversations like this. It makes me realize how different we all are, and how our goals, and therefore strategies, differ...
Ditto this, truly I’m enjoying the conversation here.

I’d hate to put words in @Star Ferry’s mouth, but perhaps I assumed the thread was more about small ways we save money, and less about the big ticket / long term financial planning.

I could be wrong, and nothing wrong with the thread veering off in that direction.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 12:10 AM   #134
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
I'm still relatively young in the grand scheme of things, but over the last few months have really been trying to look at my costs and getting rid of the small stuff we didn't use to justify the cost.

My wife and I recently finished our house, we don't have a mortgage which is great so we are doing extremely well in that regard. No car payments just basic maintenance etc. We have 2 small children a 6 and a 4 year old and I am now trying to make sure that they are able to have all of the things that they need and live in a happy / healthy home.

I've cut back on all spending so that we can take more trips as a family and share those memories, I think there will be a few things when my time comes that they will cherish, but I really think they would enjoy the different adventures we can all take while we are all still young and healthy and can enjoy them together.

Recently I've been looking at my watch collection and thinking why in the hell do I have so many watches? I'm thinking of getting rid of my big hitter PM pieces so that we can just squirrel the money away for now try to build up a big enough nest egg where the house maintenance and taxes are paid for just from interest in the accounts, but I think that is a decision for another day lol.

This thread has really made me think about a lot of things and I really love the discussions that have come from it.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 12:24 AM   #135
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Stop paying for expensive haircuts

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Get a job, hippie!
Old 19 January 2023, 12:28 AM   #136
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Get a job, hippie!
Right?

I took off my hat, said imagine that, me workin for you.
Old 19 January 2023, 12:29 AM   #137
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Ditto this, truly I’m enjoying the conversation here.

I’d hate to put words in @Star Ferry’s mouth, but perhaps I assumed the thread was more about small ways we save money, and less about the big ticket / long term financial planning.

I could be wrong, and nothing wrong with the thread veering off in that direction.
I was originally thinking of day-to-day types of habits, but I’ll humbly accept whatever financial wisdom the TRF winds blow my way
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 12:31 AM   #138
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I was originally thinking of day-to-day types of habits, but I’ll humbly accept whatever financial wisdom the TRF winds blow my way

The hair thing seems to be a wildly popular idea
Old 19 January 2023, 12:48 AM   #139
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I feel the same way, especially after my father who did everything right in terms of eating healthy, exercising, not drinking/smoking etc. still passed away from cancer in his 60s. Life is just too short and you never know when it's your time.

I got pretty lucky investing early on and felt I'd made enough that I decided to just retire in my 30s. I've never been very ambitious or motivated, and feel like I'd rather enjoy my life than do something that makes me miserable everyday (that's just me, some people are career oriented and love their job and that's perfectly fine). So now my wife and I have all the time in the world, we can go traveling anytime, sleep weird hours, play with our dogs, go out for dinner, none of it affects the big picture and we don't have to worry about the next day... it's honestly amazing.

So basically to sum up a long-winded rant that no one asked for, just do what makes you happy if you can afford it and don't worry about the small things. If you're not going into debt and it doesn't make a difference in the long run, have fun with your life and do all the things that put a smile on your face or takes away that little bit of stress. Those little things everyday can add up, and you never know when you won't have the chance to do them again.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 12:51 AM   #140
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
I feel the same way, especially after my father who did everything right in terms of eating healthy, exercising, not drinking/smoking etc. still passed away from cancer in his 60s. Life is just too short and you never know when it's your time.

I got pretty lucky investing early on and felt I'd made enough that I decided to just retire in my 30s. I've never been very ambitious or motivated, and feel like I'd rather enjoy my life than do something that makes me miserable everyday (that's just me, some people are career oriented and love their job and that's perfectly fine). So now my wife and I have all the time in the world, we can go traveling anytime, sleep weird hours, play with our dogs, go out for dinner, none of it affects the big picture and we don't have to worry about the next day... it's honestly amazing.

So basically to sum up a long-winded rant that no one asked for, just do what makes you happy if you can afford it and don't worry about the small things. If you're not going into debt and it doesn't make a difference in the long run, have fun with your life and do all the things that put a smile on your face or takes away that little bit of stress. Those little things everyday can add up, and you never know when you won't have the chance to do them again.

you sir, are living the dream. I love reading stuff like this.

Old 19 January 2023, 12:58 AM   #141
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:

The hair thing seems to be a wildly popular idea
A few other TRF classics are missing, though.

— save thousands on gray prices by providing a tequila tasting for your AD
— kayak free for years and then return that kayak to Costco
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 01:07 AM   #142
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you sir, are living the dream. I love reading stuff like this.
Thanks, I still feel super lucky/grateful every single day. I don't think it would have been possible if I'd picked a few different companies to go all in on, or a few more shitcoins instead of BTC/ETH.

But now I'm much better diversified, and sadly not that young anymore.
Old 19 January 2023, 01:11 AM   #143
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
A few other TRF classics are missing, though.

— save thousands on gray prices by providing a tequila tasting for your AD

— kayak free for years and then return that kayak to Costco
LMAO, yes the Kayak ... that wasn't his finest moment

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 19 January 2023, 01:12 AM   #144
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHorton View Post
At your age (closer to retirement) I think that is a very sound strategy. I am several years younger (43), so I am beginning the debt reduction phase of my financial plan. The last 15 years were strictly asset accumulation. Once those monthly payments are gone the idea of retirement is so much more tangible, and the closer you get, the less risk you want/need to take. Congrats on your success!
I appreciate this note and comment. thank you.

but again, it all depends on our specific situation.

if I were a dentist (such as yourself), or an attorney, or a CPA or something similar, I would likely worry less (maybe not, I have my own special brand of crazy). no matter what, you will always have good earning potential.

as a business owner, and essentially a salesman, I don't have the same type of marketable concrete skillset that you have.

in all likelihood, I worry about nothing. especially with my resume at this point. however, given that a sales professional's income is all about "what have you done for me lately", I learned early on that I needed to plan ahead. as I have said too many times over the years here on TRF, I have seen soooooooo many people mush it all and lose it because they were not prepared.

and given that I have become accustomed to a certain lifestyle based on my relative success with a few businesses, my concern now is not getting more, but rather making sure that I keep it. so again, I make my life as simple as possible to ensure I can keep it the way I like it.

ultimately, it comes from insecurity I suppose. And I have no problem admitting that.

Old 19 January 2023, 01:13 AM   #145
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks, I still feel super lucky/grateful every single day. I don't think it would have been possible if I'd picked a few different companies to go all in on, or a few more shitcoins instead of BTC/ETH.

But now I'm much better diversified, and sadly not that young anymore.
would love know more about your story, if you are willing to share it.

Old 19 January 2023, 02:16 AM   #146
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
would love know more about your story, if you are willing to share it.
Sure I don't mind, most of it was really just being in the right place at the right time. I grew up and went to school in the US, and in the early 2000s during college there was a professor in one of my finance classes that kept reiterating to only buy into companies/sectors that you have an interest in or understand... and for me that just happened to be tech.

I'm sure everyone is familiar with Apple's story... at the time they were struggling and Jobs had just come back a few years ago to run the company. I knew absolutely nothing about Apple, but I did start to notice everyone on campus had these white things in their ears and I had no idea what they were. I asked some friends and eventually found out they were iPods, then I started noticing those colourful Macs popping up in dorm rooms and laptops in the classrooms. So that was pretty much my reasoning to start investing in Apple.

And as they say the rest is history. I just kept buying and never stopped and never sold until the late 2010s. Whatever extra spending money I had I'd just buy Apple stocks instead of spending it on going out partying or drinking with friends. I'd eat instant noodles to save some money so I could buy more stocks. Even through the financial crisis in the late 2000s I just kept buying. My job in finance covered the bills and day to day expenses, pretty much everything else went into Apple. I felt like I was young, had a good job, so I didn't really care if I lost it all.

I can still remember playing with the iPhone for the first time and thinking it was so amazing. Then the 3G came out and I thought that was amazing. Then the 4 came out and I thought there's just no way they can top this. Then I relocated to Asia and saw that Apple wasn't officially in China and many surrounding countries yet so I bought even more stock. I was probably considered a huge fanboy back then lol, I just really believed in everything they were doing. While all this was happening I also got into other tech companies like Microsoft, Nvidia, Google, etc.

But eventually after jumping back and forth a few times between Android and Apple I fell out of love with the company. I still use an iPhone/iPad today but I don't feel the same passion for them as I did when I was younger. I was getting into my late 30s now (I'm now in my 40s) and didn't feel so comfortable having so much invested just in one company, so I sold most of my shares and diversified into other things like real estate and ETFs.

The crypto stuff is really just the cherry on top, it felt way too risky to go all in on but I do think it will have its uses. Nowadays I mainly have a few homes I rent out for some passive income, ETFs/stocks that generate some dividends + capital appreciation, and maybe 4 investment company board meetings a year that basically pay me to do nothing.

Like I said at the beginning I feel so much is just being lucky and at the right place at the right time, I can't imagine starting out now fresh out of school and having to deal with home/rental/food/car prices the way they are now... I don't think I'd be able to make it honestly. And I feel super lucky/grateful also because I had parents that cared and put me through school with no debt, I definitely didn't do it all on my own.
Old 19 January 2023, 02:21 AM   #147
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sure I don't mind, most of it was really just being in the right place at the right time. I grew up and went to school in the US, and in the early 2000s during college there was a professor in one of my finance classes that kept reiterating to only buy into companies/sectors that you have an interest in or understand... and for me that just happened to be tech.

I'm sure everyone is familiar with Apple's story... at the time they were struggling and Jobs had just come back a few years ago to run the company. I knew absolutely nothing about Apple, but I did start to notice everyone on campus had these white things in their ears and I had no idea what they were. I asked some friends and eventually found out they were iPods, then I started noticing those colourful Macs popping up in dorm rooms and laptops in the classrooms. So that was pretty much my reasoning to start investing in Apple.

And as they say the rest is history. I just kept buying and never stopped and never sold until the late 2010s. Whatever extra spending money I had I'd just buy Apple stocks instead of spending it on going out partying or drinking with friends. I'd eat instant noodles to save some money so I could buy more stocks. Even through the financial crisis in the late 2000s I just kept buying. My job in finance covered the bills and day to day expenses, pretty much everything else went into Apple. I felt like I was young, had a good job, so I didn't really care if I lost it all.

I can still remember playing with the iPhone for the first time and thinking it was so amazing. Then the 3G came out and I thought that was amazing. Then the 4 came out and I thought there's just no way they can top this. Then I relocated to Asia and saw that Apple wasn't officially in China and many surrounding countries yet so I bought even more stock. I was probably considered a huge fanboy back then lol, I just really believed in everything they were doing. While all this was happening I also got into other tech companies like Microsoft, Nvidia, Google, etc.

But eventually after jumping back and forth a few times between Android and Apple I fell out of love with the company. I still use an iPhone/iPad today but I don't feel the same passion for them as I did when I was younger. I was getting into my late 30s now (I'm now in my 40s) and didn't feel so comfortable having so much invested just in one company, so I sold most of my shares and diversified into other things like real estate and ETFs.

The crypto stuff is really just the cherry on top, it felt way too risky to go all in on but I do think it will have its uses. Nowadays I mainly have a few homes I rent out for some passive income, ETFs/stocks that generate some dividends + capital appreciation, and maybe 4 investment company board meetings a year that basically pay me to do nothing.

Like I said at the beginning I feel so much is just being lucky and at the right place at the right time, I can't imagine starting out now fresh out of school and having to deal with home/rental/food/car prices the way they are now... I don't think I'd be able to make it honestly. And I feel super lucky/grateful also because I had parents that cared and put me through school with no debt, I definitely didn't do it all on my own.
wow. that a story. I love it.

and tbh, if I were in your shoes, I would likely not be working either.

I love what I do, and I love my team, but I tend to think that folks put too much emphasis on work and success. if I had the means to simply live a carefree life, I would have done it in a heart beat.

good for you brother. and thanks for sharing.

Old 19 January 2023, 02:40 AM   #148
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
wow. that a story. I love it.

good for you brother. and thanks for sharing.
Thanks for reading Sorry I sidetracked the thread a bit

Quote:
I love what I do, and I love my team, but I tend to think that folks put too much emphasis on work and success.
That's how society is set up these days, especially with social media being so popular and pervasive and how easy it is to show off that latest shiny thing to everyone. It's part of the reason why I refuse to sign up for any accounts on FB/Insta/social media.
Old 19 January 2023, 02:44 AM   #149
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Eating leftovers, (or not consuming as much).

Seriously, the amount of food we throw out is silly.
Old 19 January 2023, 04:35 AM   #150
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Reduce egg purchases
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote