The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 January 2023, 06:48 PM   #31
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
I have not but am going to have the center mount that it swivels on rebuilt because it’s little loose and slightly rocks. I found a guy that will come to my place and do it. Just need to get around to doing it.

Never knew the original shock mounts could last that long
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 12:41 AM   #32
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know the story behind licensing manufacture of this design? I’ve always wanted one but didn’t really have a place to put it in my room that it would be used, except by my Italian Greyhound, so $6-7k didn’t make sense. A local high-end european furniture dealer had a brand they indicated was made under license by Eames by an Italian company. It was around $3k, so I bought one. One of my best friends has an Eames, actually 2, one vintage and a newer one, and knows them very well. He really looked it over carefully and didn’t see any major differences, other than the leather finish he thought had a slightly different sheen.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 12:45 AM   #33
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Toronto View Post
I’ve had mine (walnut & MCL white) for over five years now. It gets used multiple times each day. I’m 6’ 5”, so I bought the tall variant. I’d echo everything that Brian said in his post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gorgeous.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 01:17 AM   #34
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
Does anyone know the story behind licensing manufacture of this design? I’ve always wanted one but didn’t really have a place to put it in my room that it would be used, except by my Italian Greyhound, so $6-7k didn’t make sense. A local high-end european furniture dealer had a brand they indicated was made under license by Eames by an Italian company. It was around $3k, so I bought one. One of my best friends has an Eames, actually 2, one vintage and a newer one, and knows them very well. He really looked it over carefully and didn’t see any major differences, other than the leather finish he thought had a slightly different sheen.
The only two companies who are licensed to make Eames products are Herman Miller and Vitra.
Old 28 February 2023, 02:58 AM   #35
SearChart
TechXpert

Inflation hits hard, the base model is currently over 10k Euro

Old 28 February 2023, 03:56 AM   #36
Cliffnopus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126621 Yacht
Ekornes

We went with the Ekornes Stressless power recliner. Love it.
Ekornes.jpg
Old 28 February 2023, 04:09 AM   #37
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
The only two companies who are licensed to make Eames products are Herman Miller and Vitra.
Correct
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 04:10 AM   #38
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
Well not really. The real Eames chair was/is produced by Herman Miller. Famous for countless pieces of office furniture. And yes, they hold value very well as they are a classic in design. The only other chairs semi comparable are Mies’ Barcelona chair or Corbusier’s lounge chairs…the key to furniture is buy a handful of things that are top notch but for the rest….IKEA it is.

The Barcelona chair is on our list to add one day
Old 1 March 2023, 12:41 PM   #39
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
My chair is a replica in cherrywood. Extremely comfortable and well built.

joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2023, 03:14 PM   #40
tagesol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Hey Dan, we've owned an Eames Chair since 1998.

We went with walnut and traditional black leather.

The chair is remarkably comfortable and my favourite place to read, listen to music or have an afternoon nap. I use it every single day.

The leather patinas beautifully over time and the wood has darkened ever so slightly with age. I'm careful not to have it sitting in direct sunlight, but otherwise I haven't done a single thing to maintain it except dust it off once a week like everything else.

It's by far my favorite piece of furniture and a classic piece to add to your home.

Attachment 1344347

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I would also love to get one of this chairs it looks very comfortable and well built. enjoy it
tagesol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2023, 08:14 PM   #41
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesol View Post
I would also love to get one of this chairs it looks very comfortable and well built. enjoy it

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 1 March 2023, 08:54 PM   #42
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post

Incredible photograph!
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2023, 09:48 PM   #43
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Boy View Post
Incredible photograph!
I missed the deer in the background until you posted

It is a great shot indeed
Old 1 March 2023, 10:12 PM   #44
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I noticed quite a few companies making replicas. Who made yours? If you don’t mind me asking. Great looking chair.

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2023, 11:32 PM   #45
kwr
"TRF" Member

Im 5'11" and got the tall. Highly recommend getting the tall given it allows you to lean back fully and still have neck support.
kwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2023, 11:38 PM   #46
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
I noticed quite a few companies making replicas. Who made yours? If you don’t mind me asking. Great looking chair.
I will look through receipts today to find the brand. I’m very satisfied with it. Very solid, nice leather and difficult to remain awake in. Around $1000.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2023, 11:43 PM   #47
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Nice! The "real" one for $5700 is veneer plywood and leather. As long as the quality of your leather is top grain or full aniline it seems like an awesome substitute "replica" to me.
Old 2 March 2023, 04:15 AM   #48
sleepydoc
"TRF" Member

I have always wanted one of these and almost pulled the trigger on the White and Walnut a couple years ago. Then I bought a watch instead.
Echo the advice to wait for the semi annual sale which usually also includes free shipping.
sleepydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2023, 09:50 AM   #49
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Nice! The "real" one for $5700 is veneer plywood and leather. As long as the quality of your leather is top grain or full aniline it seems like an awesome substitute "replica" to me.
I only posted this to make a joke about the original chair being two deer for me as well… I love my reproduction/ replica - very comfy.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2023, 05:38 PM   #50
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

About 12 years ago, I got a little obsessed with finding an outstanding early example. I ended up getting a really lovely rosewood set that was produced in the first year (c.1956). It was a piece that Charles Eames gave to another furniture designer (and architect). I talked to that guy's widow and she sent me some documentation as well as an extra one of those little black buttons on the cushions.

I had a leather guy work on the cushions, which were pretty beat, and keep the original down inserts. The leather is loose/broken in, like a worn baseball glove, and not tight. I also had a furniture restoration guy clean up the rosewood blemishes and maybe wax/refinish it (can't remember exactly what he did). It came out perfect though.

I was terrified that the (original) shock mounts would give out and wanted to have them changed, but the furniture restorer guy checked them and said they were really solid. He said, "Don't touch these, they're good."

"The Eames Lounge Chair: An Icon of Modern Design" is a neat book about the chair and ottoman. Fun fact: The cover photo shows a chair that was clearly damaged and repaired. You can see where the shock mounts broke and the wood then repaired.

Also, Vitra makes (made?) miniature version of the Eames lounge/ottoman, the Barcelona chair and Corbusier lounge. Those are fun too, sometimes for watch pics! :)

And if you want to see a video of the Eames Chair intro, check this out, from the Arlene Francis Home Show in 1956.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg master_eames_1.jpg (199.5 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg vitra_minis_eamesbook_26JUN20.jpg (179.6 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg vitra_minis_SEP20.jpg (173.0 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg lange_1_tourbillon_PT_couch_22JUN20.jpg (136.7 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg 963.JPG (233.3 KB, 189 views)
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 02:20 AM   #51
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
About 12 years ago, I got a little obsessed with finding an outstanding early example. I ended up getting a really lovely rosewood set that was produced in the first year (c.1956). It was a piece that Charles Eames gave to another furniture designer (and architect). I talked to that guy's widow and she sent me some documentation as well as an extra one of those little black buttons on the cushions.

I had a leather guy work on the cushions, which were pretty beat, and keep the original down inserts. The leather is loose/broken in, like a worn baseball glove, and not tight. I also had a furniture restoration guy clean up the rosewood blemishes and maybe wax/refinish it (can't remember exactly what he did). It came out perfect though.

I was terrified that the (original) shock mounts would give out and wanted to have them changed, but the furniture restorer guy checked them and said they were really solid. He said, "Don't touch these, they're good."

"The Eames Lounge Chair: An Icon of Modern Design" is a neat book about the chair and ottoman. Fun fact: The cover photo shows a chair that was clearly damaged and repaired. You can see where the shock mounts broke and the wood then repaired.

Also, Vitra makes (made?) miniature version of the Eames lounge/ottoman, the Barcelona chair and Corbusier lounge. Those are fun too, sometimes for watch pics! :)

And if you want to see a video of the Eames Chair intro, check this out, from the Arlene Francis Home Show in 1956.
This is awesome thanks for the link to the YouTube. Question; where did you get the mini’s? They are outstanding and would love to find some for my wife!
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 02:27 AM   #52
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I also had a knockoff Corbusier chair for a long time and sold it last year. Think I paid around $500 for it in around 2000.

It was more of a visual accent piece and not all that practical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cassina LC4 Le Corbusier94990_1920x1920x.jpg (18.5 KB, 179 views)
Old 3 March 2023, 03:12 AM   #53
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth9999 View Post
This is awesome thanks for the link to the YouTube. Question; where did you get the mini’s? They are outstanding and would love to find some for my wife!
Vitra makes them, and the running joke is that they're nearly as expensive as the real thing. Retail on the Eames lounge and ottoman miniature is now $1,200 USD, which is crazy lol!
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 12:03 AM   #54
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I think the Eames is a beautiful looking chair, but I too didn't find it as comfortable as Ekornes chairs.

We have 3 of them now. They ain't cheap either.

Just another option.
I never found a local dealer for Eames to test drive, so I bought an Ekornes instead. It's been 30 years, and it still looks great. I've since bought two more and a couch...

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 02:20 AM   #55
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Beautiful chairs everyone!

I will be buying an Eames, rosewood and black leather, when I retire from the Air Force next year.

Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 02:49 PM   #56
sleepydoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Vitra makes them, and the running joke is that they're nearly as expensive as the real thing. Retail on the Eames lounge and ottoman miniature is now $1,200 USD, which is crazy lol!
Thanks for the great post and pics! What a find. And yes, the miniatures are insanely expensive.
sleepydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 02:59 PM   #57
slim
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD,SD43,Pam104
My favorite chair, it’s been 6 years and has held up well. Black leather and walnut combo
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 05:10 PM   #58
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:

First model year in Brazilian rosewood? Now that is an original amazing find and looks to be in stellar condition
Old 6 March 2023, 01:12 PM   #59
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
Thanks for this. Interesting what Charles Eames said about the one design philosophy behind his company: an attitude in all their designs that he and Ray never tried to be fashionable, and the Herman Miller company never requested they do pieces for a particular market; they made things at their own artistic speed.

I’m still mulling whether we buy a genuine Eames Lounge Chair, or go the replica route. It feels a bit like choosing between a Rolex and something ersatz, though.

Wondering if anyone has one of those mid-60s Eero Aarnio-designed Ball Chairs (or any of his designs)? I see they’re about the same as an Eames, with a completely different vibe but I love them too.

https://www.aarniooriginals.com/coll...her-ball-chair
Attached Images
File Type: png 9267578E-7D46-4D5F-8A26-DABF3DD525BD.png (230.5 KB, 113 views)
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 01:42 PM   #60
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

I’m 6’2 and it works beautifully. They do have a tall version which basically adds to the height of the upper back/headrest. I don’t think it’s necessary and IMHO the classic is the way to go as it’s just the right proportions.
I’m surprised you think so. I’m also 6’2”, and not long waisted or anything, and I really only considered one after the tall came to market. The regular one hits too low on my shoulders.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote