The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 January 2023, 01:02 AM   #1
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Thoughts on Mustang GT Convertible

Dammit I'm not getting any younger. Since I was a kid I've always wanted a Mustang. My dad was into Corvettes but I always gravitated to the muscle cars like the Trans Am, Camaro, and Mustang. Well before I get to the age where I would look completely ridiculouse in a drop top muscle car, I think I'm ready to dive in.

I would love to hear your opinions if you own one or have owned one in the past. I figure the days of big V8 gas engines are coming to a close, and even more so the days of manual transmissions are very close to done.

So I want one, GT, convertible, 6-speed manual transmission. Give me your thoughts and photos would be great too. I'm looking used, but not too old. If some years are better than others I'd love to know that too. Thanks!
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 01:48 AM   #2
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I know my help likes these cars but do you want a classic , modern or brand new one?
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 01:51 AM   #3
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I know my help likes these cars but do you want a classic , modern or brand new one?
Used but as new as possible. I typically buy my vehicles used but still under factory warranty whenever possible. 2020-2023 MY
Old 26 January 2023, 02:09 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Used but as new as possible. I typically buy my vehicles used but still under factory warranty whenever possible. 2020-2023 MY
I asked my spa installer:

“If this Rolex guy is looking for the best bang for his buck, I would definitely go with any 2011 to 2022 mustang, all of which have the 5.0 Coyote. The coyote makes 400+ horsepower at the crank in any year mustang. The 2011 and 2012 cars are essentially identical, with the 2013 and 2014 having slightly more power and a facelift, and I may be mistaken, but I believe a stronger bottom end. In 2015, the 6th gen came out on the S550 chassis, with Independent Rear Suspension, the first time ever in a base model, non SVT mustang. The 2015–2017s are again mostly identical, with even more power than the previous coyote. The 2018 had a facelift and another increase in power which continues to 2022, as well as the new 10 speed automatic transmission, if going fast is more important than the perks of a manual tranny. Essentially, the 2011–2014s are generally better drag cars as they put power done more efficiently with the Live Rear whereas the 2015 - 2022 are better track cars with their IRS. An inbetween the two would likely be a 2013 Boss 302, which has the Live Rear Axle but is specifically tuned for the track. If your friend is a real man he’ll spring for a Shelby and forget all I’ve said. Can I have a day off boss? It’s been about seven years and I’m tired.”
Old 26 January 2023, 02:16 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Love TRF... Yet ask those on a Ford Mustang discussion board. So many variables, and pricing / cost of ownership too. Do you turn wrenches or will you need a good vintage mechanic? Is there one near you, they may know a seller who needs to move a vehicle.

Do it for sure.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 02:18 AM   #6
330ci
"TRF" Member

As the owner of a 2006 S197 v6 coupe, I cannot say enough good things about the platform.

If you've wanted one for some time, theres no better time than the present to make that dream come true.

If I could choose one, I'd go with one of the newer GT 350 convertibles. But looks like those are a few years older than you'd like. Any CPO should suit you just fine though, besides running into crowds they don't have too many other issues.
330ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 02:21 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

“If this Rolex guy is looking for the best bang for his buck, I would definitely go with any 2011 to 2022 mustang, all of which have the 5.0 Coyote. The coyote makes 400+ horsepower at the crank in any year mustang. The 2011 and 2012 cars are essentially identical, with the 2013 and 2014 having slightly more power and a facelift, and I may be mistaken, but I believe a stronger bottom end. In 2015, the 6th gen came out on the S550 chassis, with Independent Rear Suspension, the first time ever in a base model, non SVT mustang. The 2015–2017s are again mostly identical, with even more power than the previous coyote. The 2018 had a facelift and another increase in power which continues to 2022, as well as the new 10 speed automatic transmission, if going fast is more important than the perks of a manual tranny. Essentially, the 2011–2014s are generally better drag cars as they put power done more efficiently with the Live Rear whereas the 2015 - 2022 are better track cars with their IRS. An inbetween the two would likely be a 2013 Boss 302, which has the Live Rear Axle but is specifically tuned for the track. If your friend is a real man he’ll spring for a Shelby and forget all I’ve said. Can I have a day off boss? It’s been about seven years and I’m tired.”
That’s detailed stuff Chewie

Mike …. DO IT
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 02:32 AM   #8
Cliffnopus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126621 Yacht
Cobra
Old 26 January 2023, 03:00 AM   #9
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Great info and I believe your spa installer has earned a day off. Sounds like you pay well at least given all his experience with Mustangs! I love the Shelby but they don't make 'em in convertibles anymore
Old 26 January 2023, 03:01 AM   #10
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Great tips everyone. The biggest problem I'm having is FINDING one anywhere. It's amazing how few manaul transmission GT convertibles are out there, especially newer models. More reason for me to get one before sticks are gone forever.
Old 26 January 2023, 03:02 AM   #11
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Love TRF... Yet ask those on a Ford Mustang discussion board. So many variables, and pricing / cost of ownership too. Do you turn wrenches or will you need a good vintage mechanic? Is there one near you, they may know a seller who needs to move a vehicle.

Do it for sure.
Not sure you need a vintage mechanic for a 20-23 Mustang, unless you meant a really old mechanic.
Old 26 January 2023, 03:07 AM   #12
nini312
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41
German cars for the win =)
nini312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 03:17 AM   #13
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Great info and I believe your spa installer has earned a day off. Sounds like you pay well at least given all his experience with Mustangs! I love the Shelby but they don't make 'em in convertibles anymore
I fired him after asking. At-Will employment is fair employment.
Old 26 January 2023, 03:19 AM   #14
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nini312 View Post
German cars for the win =)
Vichy France still has a chance and one fan.

Old 26 January 2023, 03:23 AM   #15
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
That’s detailed stuff Chewie

Mike …. DO IT
I agree. But he said it cc’ing my worldwide staff. Made me look stupid (don’t say it) and poor.

He’s now fired.
Old 26 January 2023, 03:29 AM   #16
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

I don't know much about the GT, but I have driven a 22 Shelby GT500 and was quite thoroughly impressed. I'd suggest you test drive one of those before you buy to prevent any buyer's remorse.
HHIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 03:38 AM   #17
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
I don't know much about the GT, but I have driven a 22 Shelby GT500 and was quite thoroughly impressed. I'd suggest you test drive one of those before you buy to prevent any buyer's remorse.
No convertible

And I think no manual transmission either???
Old 26 January 2023, 03:45 AM   #18
10mmauto
"TRF" Member

I'm happy with this one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side.JPG (229.0 KB, 297 views)
10mmauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 03:45 AM   #19
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No convertible

And I think no manual transmission either???

Nah, unfortunately it has neither if you're sold on that. But it does have one heck of a badass muscle car attitude. I was there to pick up a new truck and almost walked out the door with one.
HHIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 04:10 AM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Not sure you need a vintage mechanic for a 20-23 Mustang, unless you meant a really old mechanic.
Ahhh misread the OP's post.

Yes, do it on the new one!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 04:55 AM   #21
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Ahhh misread the OP's post.

Yes, do it on the new one!
Yeah, I thought that one slipped by you.

They beauty of the say, 20-23 versions is they're probably still on new/used car lots and have a variety to take for a spin.
Old 26 January 2023, 04:59 AM   #22
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
Nah, unfortunately it has neither if you're sold on that. But it does have one heck of a badass muscle car attitude. I was there to pick up a new truck and almost walked out the door with one.
Yeah I really want to go stick shift convertible. I'm assuming this will most likely be the last stick I'll ever own. My current vehicle is the first one I've ever owned that was an automatic. I really miss rowing my own gears.

Soon there will be no stick shifts left, and not long after that maybe no gas engines either. Might be the last "fun" vehicle I own.
Old 26 January 2023, 04:59 AM   #23
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yeah, I thought that one slipped by you.

They beauty of the say, 20-23 versions is they're probably still on new/used car lots and have a variety to take for a spin.
There are a lot out there UNTIL you specify convertible and manual transmission. Then it drops like a stone.
Old 26 January 2023, 05:11 AM   #24
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
There are a lot out there UNTIL you specify convertible and manual transmission. Then it drops like a stone.
Be interesting to know the percentage how many manual trans, they make these days.

Yeah, I'm guessing that both convertible and manual trans, certainly narrows the field. Good luck. Should be a fun ride if you can find the one you like.
Old 26 January 2023, 05:25 AM   #25
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Be interesting to know the percentage how many manual trans, they make these days.

Yeah, I'm guessing that both convertible and manual trans, certainly narrows the field. Good luck. Should be a fun ride if you can find the one you like.
For all vehicles the % of manual transmission these days is in the neighborhood of 2-3% which is wild (and a little saddening). For Mustangs, it's estimated around 20% but many of those are for the six cylinder engine.
Old 26 January 2023, 05:26 AM   #26
dafuture
"TRF" Member

I owned a '20 Mustang GT (coupe, 6spd) for a little over 2 years. It's a fun car - no doubt about it. The convertible will obviously drive a little differently given the roof, but largely the same.

I think it depends on what you're looking to get out of it. Mine was not only a daily driver, but our only car. For that, it was too small, annoying in traffic, and started to come up with a few annoying creaks/rattles around the 20k mark. Admittedly, I could've tracked those down, but I never found the time before I sold it. That being said, it was a hell of a lot of fun when the roads opened up a bit, and I'd absolutely own one again. Such is the allure of a big V8 and a manual.

From a technical standpoint, I wasn't thrilled with the MT82 manual trans. It wasn't bad per se, but it clunks more than you'd expect and wasn't always easy to live with. From what I've heard, the Tremec 'boxes in the upper level Mach 1 / GT350 / Bullitt cars were much, much better, but not available in the 'vert.

I'd test drive one and see what you think, but you may be better off waiting to see what the '24s look like. I'm certainly going to be considering one when we need a second car in the next year or two.

If you're definitely going used, stick to post 2018s. These are the post-facelift cars with the updated Coyote engine and a few extra features.
Old 26 January 2023, 05:26 AM   #27
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
FWIW, I have no experience with the convertible model, but a friend has a 2014 and another a 2021 GT. IMO, they are well-constructed cars with excellent interiors for a very reasonable price that are simply lots of fun. I'm no expert on cars, but I like their 6MT more than that in the WRX STI and less than the 6MT in the Civic Type R.

Guys I have met at shows with the GT350 have spoke extremely highly of it, and it appears to be a ton of car for the money--although I imagine prices have probably increased since 2019.

As you noted, finding a convertible with a 6MT sounds like a bit of a chore. Given MD convertible season is somewhat limited, would you opt for a 6MT coupe if the right one came along at the right price? Alternatively, are you searching further south--I am guessing there might be more convertibles in the SC/FL/CA areas? (although likely mainly autos)
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 05:27 AM   #28
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For all vehicles the % of manual transmission these days is in the neighborhood of 2-3% which is wild (and a little saddening). For Mustangs, it's estimated around 20% but many of those are for the six cylinder engine.
The 6 cylinder engine has been dead for years. There's only the V8 and the turbo 4. Not sure where you got these facts from....
Old 26 January 2023, 06:12 AM   #29
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuture View Post
The 6 cylinder engine has been dead for years. There's only the V8 and the turbo 4. Not sure where you got these facts from....
The estimate was 20% for all Mustangs including all engines. I was just saying it includes the non-V8 models as well. I didn't realize they use a 4 cyl now, nor do I care since I would never consider one. The stick numbers for the V8 were estimated at closer to 40%. They stated these were estimates and not numbers directly from Ford.

The 2-3% is pretty accurate for all vehicles sold in the U.S. It's probably closer to 2 than 3 in 2023.
Old 26 January 2023, 06:14 AM   #30
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuture View Post
I owned a '20 Mustang GT (coupe, 6spd) for a little over 2 years. It's a fun car - no doubt about it. The convertible will obviously drive a little differently given the roof, but largely the same.

I think it depends on what you're looking to get out of it. Mine was not only a daily driver, but our only car. For that, it was too small, annoying in traffic, and started to come up with a few annoying creaks/rattles around the 20k mark. Admittedly, I could've tracked those down, but I never found the time before I sold it. That being said, it was a hell of a lot of fun when the roads opened up a bit, and I'd absolutely own one again. Such is the allure of a big V8 and a manual.

From a technical standpoint, I wasn't thrilled with the MT82 manual trans. It wasn't bad per se, but it clunks more than you'd expect and wasn't always easy to live with. From what I've heard, the Tremec 'boxes in the upper level Mach 1 / GT350 / Bullitt cars were much, much better, but not available in the 'vert.

I'd test drive one and see what you think, but you may be better off waiting to see what the '24s look like. I'm certainly going to be considering one when we need a second car in the next year or two.

If you're definitely going used, stick to post 2018s. These are the post-facelift cars with the updated Coyote engine and a few extra features.
Good information, thanks. Yeah I'm really shooting for 2019 or newer if at all possible. I work from home and the wife has the "family vehicle" so this one will be more of a part-time vehicle anyway. The 24's look sharp but I'd prefer used. If I can't find what I want that may be the way I'm forced to go.