The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 November 2022, 07:24 PM   #1
rico7rico
"TRF" Member

Never thought I would face this - 226570 or 7900v

Could someone help me figure out here?

Both Rolex Explorer II polar (226570) and Vacheron Constantin Overseas 7900v-black are the GMT watch I've been looking for. Fortunately, I got calls from the AD at the same time and I can only pick one.

While I have the luxury to get either one. From the value stand-point, I feel like Rolex is going to retain somewhat 10%+ from the MSRP for the next 10 - 20 years, while VCO might retain at this level (10%)/ fall below MSRP/ take off - becoming the next AP/PP.

I don't think I will sell the watch I get, but knowing explorer II is safer at retaining its value (because the general market size) flavors me to it. However, somewhat in my gut tells me to acquire my first VC. I just don't know which I should confirm.

Can anyone tell me your thoughts? It could be from any angle/ perspective.
rico7rico is online now Report Post
rico7rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 09:42 PM   #2
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

My gut is in 10 yrs the Polar will be worth 60%-70% list and the VC will be 50%-60%. Based on what I recall of secondary pricing in 2018. The current watch market is, to me, unsustainable for the long run. This is a trend and is already slowing down. Further, future resale is not a great way to buy a watch. The two you mentioned are vastly different- buy the one you like the most.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 10:08 PM   #3
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

I'd take the Explorer - save yourself some cash. and it's a timeless design. The 7900v is great too though.
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 10:33 PM   #4
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

From the aesthetic point of view alone, I prefer the Explorer II. Both will end up under MSRP most likely. One wonders if the Overseas phenomenon was organic or a flash in the pan.
DJH1977 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 10:39 PM   #5
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJH1977 View Post
From the aesthetic point of view alone, I prefer the Explorer II. Both will end up under MSRP most likely. One wonders if the Overseas phenomenon was organic or a flash in the pan.

It's a weird one - they are still 5-10k over MSRP on Chrono. I can't imagine who would pay 5k over retail for an Overseas, as lovely as they are.
Old 21 November 2022, 10:42 PM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=881671
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 10:44 PM   #7
sgrossma
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex is still a mass produced watch and all reports claim production likely to increase further while Vacheron production to remain very low. The Vacheron may not be the watch for everyone, but I certainly think it is way more special.
sgrossma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 10:52 PM   #8
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossma View Post
Rolex is still a mass produced watch and all reports claim production likely to increase further while Vacheron production to remain very low. The Vacheron may not be the watch for everyone, but I certainly think it is way more special.
Two and a half times the price though.
Old 21 November 2022, 11:58 PM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonpilgrim View Post
Two and a half times the price though.
Yes the Explorer is way over valued for what it is
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 22 November 2022, 12:28 AM   #10
sgrossma
2024 Pledge Member

One other consideration for me is the bezel on the exp2. Don't get me wrong, I really love the watch, but I feel like you have to be extra careful with the bezel. It can scratch up easily. The Vacheron bezel can too, I guess, but the exp2 bezel does not polish well b/c of the brushing. It can be done correctly, but a polished exp2 bezel is one of the very first things I notice and it drives me crazy.
sgrossma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 01:42 AM   #11
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

I’m sorry if I step on anyone’s feelings but personally the VC is in another league. If you are seriously comparing these two I would say there is no comparison. I can’t get into the concept with the Rolex and the mass produced and value concerns just annoy me. The real intrigue is the other piece I would say. The price differential doesn’t matter here if you are really questioning one or the other. You clearly want either and the value of one vs the other seems irrelevant then. I’d always pick the VC over the other.
gliazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 03:59 AM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliazzurri View Post
I’m sorry if I step on anyone’s feelings but personally the VC is in another league. If you are seriously comparing these two I would say there is no comparison. I can’t get into the concept with the Rolex and the mass produced and value concerns just annoy me. The real intrigue is the other piece I would say. The price differential doesn’t matter here if you are really questioning one or the other. You clearly want either and the value of one vs the other seems irrelevant then. I’d always pick the VC over the other.
Completely agree, however this is what many people want as they search for the next hyped thing. I cannot get rid of Rolex fast enough at this point
Old 22 November 2022, 06:03 AM   #13
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
VCO is in a completely different league. The built and quality is on another level as reflected by the price. I would definitely go for the VC. Forget about the secondary value!
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 06:49 AM   #14
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
VC all day, but if value retention is a factor then ExpII

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 08:36 AM   #15
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

As you’re so obviously very concerned about value retention just invest the money in something else.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 09:33 AM   #16
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

I own both an Explorer II and the Oversea DT. My avatar shows my preference on this question...
Old 22 November 2022, 09:52 AM   #17
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

VC more special. Rolex will hold value more.
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 10:04 AM   #18
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
As you’re so obviously very concerned about value retention just invest the money in something else.
+1 to this comment if you are worried about what the value will be in 10+ years time.

The 7900V is my favourite watch in my collection and i wear it as my daily.
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 12:45 PM   #19
Inseconds99
"TRF" Member

Go Polar

Inseconds99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 01:42 PM   #20
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
No contest. VCO is 10x the watch the Rolex is. If you love it buy it. I really don't get these comparisons.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 09:09 PM   #21
moting
"TRF" Member

Watch: addict
I would go for the VC! The finishing is at another level + more versatile with steel bracelet/rubber/leather strap.
moting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 11:59 PM   #22
Youval
"TRF" Member

I just purchased a VC 7900V in Rose Gold from a reseller out in Atlanta (I’m from Montreal) and the watch should arrive next week.
I have a very good relationship at my local Rolex AD and could have gotten almost any Rolex I could have wanted at this point but I chose the VC.
I own a John Mayer Daytona, a Panda Daytona, a DayDate, a Batgirl, AP Aquanaut ,Explorer Aftwr trying on the Rose VC in a VC store I was absolutely blown away.
I can tell you first hand, owning all these amazing other watches, none come close to the VC Overseas.
This thread is 2 years old so I’m sure your decision was made a long time ago but I just fell on this and had to share my thoughts.
Youval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 02:56 PM   #23
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
VC, no questions. I recently got a 7900v in silver.

I got rid of 16710 Pepsi and 16600 Sea Dweller (along with an Omega and IWC, as I was looking to consolidate my collection).
I have never owned the 226570 but I did own a 16570 polar in the past.
The VC is just on another level.
dshin525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 09:39 PM   #24
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossma View Post
One other consideration for me is the bezel on the exp2. Don't get me wrong, I really love the watch, but I feel like you have to be extra careful with the bezel. It can scratch up easily. The Vacheron bezel can too, I guess, but the exp2 bezel does not polish well b/c of the brushing. It can be done correctly, but a polished exp2 bezel is one of the very first things I notice and it drives me crazy.
Not an issue. I have used an Explorer II as my primary daily for many years. Crystal gets 90% of the hits, lugs get the rest. My 216570 has dings/scratches on the case/bracelet and chips on the edges of the crystal, the bezel is still in excellent shape. Now I wear a 226570, same story. Judging from the condition of used EXPII watches I encounter, it’s not an issue for others either. Lugs and crystal absorb the abuse.
RTG is online now   Reply With Quote