The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 23 November 2023, 09:54 PM   #1
hussain
"TRF" Member

Where do I go from here? Blue Dial Royal Oak Chronograph

Hello fellow watch enthusiasts!

I find myself in a bit of a predicament and thought this would be the perfect place to seek some advice and insights. My ultimate goal has always been to add a blue dial Royal Oak chronograph to my collection. However, after acquiring four incredible pieces, including two Royal Oaks (one of them being a gold piece) and two Offshores, I recently received disheartening news. The only AP boutique in my country is closing down.

Now, I'm left wondering about the possibilities of acquiring the steel blue dial Royal Oak chronograph at retail. Has anyone gone through a similar experience? I'm particularly interested to know if visiting a boutique in another country would acknowledge my history as a collector and potentially offer any assistance. Or, am I facing a lost cause?

I greatly appreciate any insights or advice.
Audemars Piguet: 15400st (White), 26470st (Batman), 15720st (Blue), 26240or (Blue), 26420so (Taupe), 26331st (Blue), Rolex: 116710LN (Black), 126710BLRO (Pepsi), 126610LV (Starbucks), Vacheron Constantin: 4500v (Blue),
hussain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 10:38 PM   #2
Armis
"TRF" Member

Since your four pieces were purchased at the boutique, then they must be registered and listed under your name in your online AP profile. Have you logged into your record on the AP site?
Any boutique can see those pieces if they check your name/record and therefore confirm you as a client. Then just explain to them the circumstances.
I expect other forum members have switched boutiques and can tell you if you can pick up where you left off. I hope the boutique does do that.
Good luck!
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 11:50 PM   #3
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Is it AP owned boutique, or a reseller / AD ?
I am surprised AP owned boutique will exit a market without further continuity of the business? Except for Russia/Ukraine but that is a whole different story.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 02:13 PM   #4
hussain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
Since your four pieces were purchased at the boutique, then they must be registered and listed under your name in your online AP profile. Have you logged into your record on the AP site?
Any boutique can see those pieces if they check your name/record and therefore confirm you as a client. Then just explain to them the circumstances.
I expect other forum members have switched boutiques and can tell you if you can pick up where you left off. I hope the boutique does do that.
Good luck!
Yes I register my own watches at the AP site, I remember walking into an AP house and the attitude changed once they checked my profile. That being said I asked that specific AP house and they said royal oaks are reserved for their locals. Ill try with a few others, and hopefully i get lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
Is it AP owned boutique, or a reseller / AD ?
I am surprised AP owned boutique will exit a market without further continuity of the business? Except for Russia/Ukraine but that is a whole different story.
They call it a "boutique" but its actually through a local AD. I cannot say what the reasons for exiting are, many rumors are there including the boutique not adhering to AP standards, they want to focus on neighboring countries as there market is stronger, or possibility of selling the brand to a conglomerate, etc..
Audemars Piguet: 15400st (White), 26470st (Batman), 15720st (Blue), 26240or (Blue), 26420so (Taupe), 26331st (Blue), Rolex: 116710LN (Black), 126710BLRO (Pepsi), 126610LV (Starbucks), Vacheron Constantin: 4500v (Blue),
Old 24 November 2023, 06:48 PM   #5
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
They call it a "boutique" but its actually through a local AD. I cannot say what the reasons for exiting are, many rumors are there including the boutique not adhering to AP standards, they want to focus on neighboring countries as there market is stronger, or possibility of selling the brand to a conglomerate, etc..[/QUOTE]

In this case it is best to find the nearest AP House / AP Boutique and get in touch with them. You should be able to continue the relationship with them / directly with AP.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 08:08 PM   #6
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

You can just be part of the nomad program.
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 10:53 PM   #7
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Which country is this? Sometimes the surrounding countries will absorb take clients from countries that don't have their own AP house/boutique.
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2023, 10:53 PM   #8
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
Is this US only or global?
Old 25 November 2023, 12:37 AM   #9
hussain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
Is this a real thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_chissle View Post
Which country is this? Sometimes the surrounding countries will absorb take clients from countries that don't have their own AP house/boutique.
Its Bahrain, and its not official yet, but the boutique haven't received a watch in 5 months, and the rumors are strong (99.9%) that they dropped the relationship with the local AD and the boutique should close in a few months.

In our region we still have Saudi and UAE, and I'm planning to make a visit in Jan/Feb to declare interest.

Hopefully they wont make me wait 4 years for one like the existing boutique(and theyre losing their AD and still didn't receive one).
Old 25 November 2023, 02:45 AM   #10
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

No idea if this is related to OPs predicament, but the retail chain in that region has long been particularly leaky when it comes to desirable pieces ending up on the grey market.

I don’t know if the Nomad program is global, but in the US it’s very much real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 02:47 AM   #11
sj24k
"TRF" Member

I’d just buy one on the secondary market and be done. If you can afford four APs at msrp, you can afford one more at market price.

I know many will take issue with my recommendation, but just comes down to how badly you want it, how long you’re willing to wait, and what hoops you want to jump through.

sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 03:14 AM   #12
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussain View Post
Is this a real thing?

Its Bahrain, and its not official yet, but the boutique haven't received a watch in 5 months, and the rumors are strong (99.9%) that they dropped the relationship with the local AD and the boutique should close in a few months.

In our region we still have Saudi and UAE, and I'm planning to make a visit in Jan/Feb to declare interest.

Hopefully they wont make me wait 4 years for one like the existing boutique(and theyre losing their AD and still didn't receive one).
I'd imagine one of those takes over the Bahrain business. UAE sounds like a really rough market to get allocations from what I've heard and read. Not sure about Saudi. Tough competition unfortunately in that region!
Old 25 November 2023, 05:01 PM   #13
hussain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj24k View Post
I’d just buy one on the secondary market and be done. If you can afford four APs at msrp, you can afford one more at market price.

I know many will take issue with my recommendation, but just comes down to how badly you want it, how long you’re willing to wait, and what hoops you want to jump through.

The market price is way too high for a blue piece, the lowest I could find one was $63k. However your recommendation is something I'm strongly considering. Just waiting to find a good condition blue 26331st for under $40k USD and I'll snipe one.

Keep in mind that I requested one back when they retail for around $30k
Old 25 November 2023, 05:30 PM   #14
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

They aren’t trading crazy anymore. My local grey dealer has a 50 anniversary 26240 Blue for US$60k and it’s been sitting there for 2 months!

I think grey market is worth considering in this case…

Check out '2022 Unpolished "50"th Anniversary Audemars Piguet 26240ST RO CHRONO 41mm BLUE Dial', available at S$80,880 on #Carousell https://carousell.app.link/cPIUSWoB0Eb

Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 06:17 PM   #15
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Icon4

Quote:
The market price is way too high for a blue piece, the lowest I could find one was $63k. However your recommendation is something I'm strongly considering. Just waiting to find a good condition blue 26331st for under $40k USD and I'll snipe one.

Keep in mind that I requested one back when they retail for around $30k
Pretty sure they can be had for <$40k now. Reach out to some greys/trusted sellers, and look on moda
Old 26 November 2023, 03:57 AM   #16
hussain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
No idea if this is related to OPs predicament, but the retail chain in that region has long been particularly leaky when it comes to desirable pieces ending up on the grey market.

I don’t know if the Nomad program is global, but in the US it’s very much real.

This is very true, and I know of a few examples where the buyers flip. I think this could be one of the reasons of AP's withdrawal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyjo View Post
They aren’t trading crazy anymore. My local grey dealer has a 50 anniversary 26240 Blue for US$60k and it’s been sitting there for 2 months!

I think grey market is worth considering in this case…

Check out '2022 Unpolished "50"th Anniversary Audemars Piguet 26240ST RO CHRONO 41mm BLUE Dial', available at S$80,880 on #Carousell https://carousell.app.link/cPIUSWoB0Eb

Thank you, still high for me at roughly $60k USD. Can't see myself spending this much as I just got a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Pretty sure they can be had for <$40k now. Reach out to some greys/trusted sellers, and look on moda
Reached out to a few local and regional ones. Still trading at around $47k but I see them going down.
Old 26 November 2023, 12:53 PM   #17
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is very true, and I know of a few examples where the buyers flip. I think this could be one of the reasons of AP's withdrawal.

Thank you, still high for me at roughly $60k USD. Can't see myself spending this much as I just got a new car.

Reached out to a few local and regional ones. Still trading at around $47k but I see them going down.

Here is a 26331 2018 at pretty reasonable price, ~$US36k

Check out 'AP Royaloak 26331', available at S$47,900 on #Carousell https://carousell.app.link/ck37qfoW1Eb

Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote