The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 February 2019, 12:35 PM   #1
nokaoi1
"TRF" Member

Help me choose a new speedmaster!

So I've been having an itch for a new piece lately and after watching first man the other day I've decided it needs to be a speedmaster! I've narrowed it down to some dark sides, or a sapphire moon watch. I went to the omega store to try all on now I need help on which one! Also interested in snoopy speedy, but at resell prices you could get a gold piece or daytona c. So what do you guys think? Also was thinking maybe I should wait for 50th apollo XI later this year....? Boutique said I would have to pay deposit of 10k unseen.

Here are my choices:

https://imgur.com/a/k0BTzGD
nokaoi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 02:30 PM   #2
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
The all black dark side looks good
Old 4 February 2019, 04:43 PM   #3
rbob99
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I would start with the original Moon Watch.
rbob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 10:22 PM   #4
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

If your one and only or part of very small collection, then would go w speedy pro. If part of a larger collection , DSOTM (original) if it fits well and is comfortable. For both of those pieces I would buy gray rAther than OB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 11:57 PM   #5
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
If your one and only or part of very small collection, then would go w speedy pro. If part of a larger collection , DSOTM (original) if it fits well and is comfortable. For both of those pieces I would buy gray rAther than OB.

+1.

Also, if you're looking for a sapphire speedy, consider the CK2998 series (FOIS, blue panda, black panda). They are a more limited run and, imho, look better as they have no crown guards.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 12:23 AM   #6
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
personally, i would get the moonwatch first, it is the most classic.....then go to dark side of the moon as a second candidate
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 12:55 AM   #7
agentmeister5
"TRF" Member

Go with the moon watch first but if you prefer an automatic then go with the original dark side of the moon. I'd rank the dark sides as OG > Pitch Black > Black Black. I like the look of the Black Black more but in terms of practicality/readability the Pitch Black would win out over it.
agentmeister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 01:06 AM   #8
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agree with this except for the last part. Chronographs have a higher chance of something going wrong, and Omega’s 5yr warranty is nice piece of mind. I would shop around a bit. There are ADs with great discounts, as well as some trusted sellers. I’ve been lucky with Gray Market buys in the past, but for the Speedy Pro at least, the Gray price isn’t much different from a good AD. The DSOTM is more of a deal, but even then there are some deals to be had. If you can have your discount and get the warranty, why not try that route first?
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 01:20 AM   #9
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
Agree with this except for the last part. Chronographs have a higher chance of something going wrong, and Omega’s 5yr warranty is nice piece of mind. I would shop around a bit. There are ADs with great discounts, as well as some trusted sellers. I’ve been lucky with Gray Market buys in the past, but for the Speedy Pro at least, the Gray price isn’t much different from a good AD. The DSOTM is more of a deal, but even then there are some deals to be had. If you can have your discount and get the warranty, why not try that route first?

FWIW, all of the TS I buy from sell these watches with warranty card.

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 01:59 AM   #10
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:

I agree, and like Jeremy mentions, I also would favor offerings with a valid Omega warranty (not that the Speedmaster Pro is a troublesome watch, but just because the cost of addressing a malfunction could be high).

Trusted Sellers here often offer the Speedmaster Pro with a valid Omega warranty, and there are some Omega ADs who discount generously.

It sounds like the starter of this recent TRF thread has a local AD who is a sure thing, so you might contact the original poster for info: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=653707
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 02:42 AM   #11
Burdeens Jewelry
"TRF" Member

My pick would be the Apollo 8. Before that release I would have said OG Dark Side. Good Luck!
Burdeens Jewelry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 05:16 AM   #12
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I agree, and like Jeremy mentions, I also would favor offerings with a valid Omega warranty (not that the Speedmaster Pro is a troublesome watch, but just because the cost of addressing a malfunction could be high).

Trusted Sellers here often offer the Speedmaster Pro with a valid Omega warranty, and there are some Omega ADs who discount generously.

It sounds like the starter of this recent TRF thread has a local AD who is a sure thing, so you might contact the original poster for info: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=653707
I second that, as I bought from the same dealer based on that thread. No affiliation, but I’d be happy to share the info.

Jeremy
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 01:12 PM   #13
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokaoi1 View Post
So I've been having an itch for a new piece lately and after watching first man the other day I've decided it needs to be a speedmaster! I've narrowed it down to some dark sides, or a sapphire moon watch. I went to the omega store to try all on now I need help on which one! Also interested in snoopy speedy, but at resell prices you could get a gold piece or daytona c. So what do you guys think? Also was thinking maybe I should wait for 50th apollo XI later this year....? Boutique said I would have to pay deposit of 10k unseen.

Here are my choices:

https://imgur.com/a/k0BTzGD

I would wait to see what they put the 321 movement in, and then make a call.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 05:21 AM   #14
yugxelor
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Yatch-Master
I love the all black moon watch, but my favorite is the Alaska Project white dial with red second hand. It looks stellar (pun intended) on a nato strap.
yugxelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 02:44 PM   #15
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
Pitch black and apollo 8 get my vote. Since the apollo 8 isn't le, I'm hoping the price comes down like the other dsotm. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 12:20 PM   #16
Toffeeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5164A
How about Vintage Black? I feel it has a rustic look and will be able to withstand as time goes by.
Toffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 08:29 AM   #17
Jakku
"TRF" Member

Probably too late but I'd have gone for the moon or meteorite, I just prefer the steel look I think.
Jakku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 09:08 AM   #18
Av8or3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I have enjoyed my sapphire sandwich
Av8or3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 09:22 AM   #19
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
I couldnt help it....I just bought the apollo 8 as my first omega. I love the look, size, movement, colors, 50th anniversary, etc. Was hard to find. Being told that although not limited edition, it is definitely limited production with no one knowing if ads or obs will get anymore or not. Can't wait to recieve tomorrow to see in the flesh. Did the OP make a decision yet? Appears you were fortunate enough to try on the apollo 8. They all look great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 11:05 AM   #20
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
I like the pitch black or apollo 8 myself. Actually, my favorite speedy at the moment is the polar racing.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...32933445104001
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 12:10 PM   #21
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
The original moonwatch is my vote, BUT, give it a couple of weeks. Let's see if a s/s 50th moon landing pieces comes out during Basel. It might just fit the bill.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 12:56 PM   #22
cdlerx
Banned

I totally agree with some people here, i think the moon watch should be the one you start off with.
cdlerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 12:42 PM   #23
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8or3 View Post
I have enjoyed my sapphire sandwich
This. It would be the one I'd buy again too.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 03:23 PM   #24
Daryl
2024 Pledge Member

regular moonwatch

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2019, 06:20 PM   #25
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I went for the original hesalite Moonwatch but gave up after 6 months.

If I were to start all over again, I’ll get an LE Speedy - the likes of Snoopy version (next year) or the Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote