The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 January 2019, 06:10 AM   #1
Bigbuckeye
"TRF" Member

Value and sale question?

So I understand that asking for value is a no no...having said that, what is the best way to determine value? I see a pretty varied spread of prices from ebay to crown and caliber etc...is there a known source?

Also,

What is the safest way to sell a rolex online? Paypal....certified check? Assume you insure it through the shipping agent like UPS etc?

Looking for your experience.

Thanks
Bigbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 06:20 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuckeye View Post
So I understand that asking for value is a no no...having said that, what is the best way to determine value? I see a pretty varied spread of prices from ebay to crown and caliber etc...is there a known source?
Did you look at the sales forum here?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 06:25 AM   #3
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
You probably won’t get a lot of responses to this one. I am a buyer if anything not a seller based on what I know pay pal is better for the buyer but more risk for the seller. Lots of sellers prefer wire transfer. But they all tend to add the fee for pay pal use if they allow it. I asked the same question a month or so ago and people said pay pal is so pro buyer a seller can get burned very easy from pay pal. I wouldn’t look to eBay for the answer. Go to one of the trusted sellers on the sites page and see what they sale for then go rolex.com see what they cost and you will get a pretty quick idea on what sales above and below , the values etc. eBay and places like that I’m sure have good stuff I just wouldn’t personally buy from them. When I have bought online the deliveries have usually came from fedex , overnite and wrapped up tight signature required and insured all the good stuff. I even open my boxes up at my front door. I have 3 cameras at my front door so I have on video the delivery signature and package opening. Some would say it may be overkill but hey it happens with stuff not being sent, carriers opening stuff you just never know. This is all just my 2 cents I’m not a pro at buying or selling I just spend a lot of time on the forums and online observing. Maybe some more members may chime in on this. You have been a member for a few years now so i am thinking maybe your going to start selling watches ??
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 06:41 AM   #4
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
In my experience, all you are going to get advertising yourself is 'what's the lowest you'll take mate?'..and you will be offered nothing more than trade price over and over again. You will really struggle to sell it for anything more than trade price unless you find an end user, which is doubtful because the end user wants to feel safe and buy from a reputed source - that is what they pay the premium over trade price for. The end user will only come to you if it is a bargain..so we are back at trade money again.

My advice is.. don't waste your time trying to sell yourself online, simply take it to your local grey dealer and he will pay you cash on the spot. It is so much easier and you'll probably get a few hundred more than you'll get offered online.

Stay clear of PayPal too.. awful.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 07:03 AM   #5
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
PayPal is a hot mess; I'd only accept a wire.

But then again, I'd never sell a Rolex.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 08:45 AM   #6
Bigbuckeye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Did you look at the sales forum here?
I’m referring mostly to the transaction.
Old 25 January 2019, 08:46 AM   #7
Bigbuckeye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
In my experience, all you are going to get advertising yourself is 'what's the lowest you'll take mate?'..and you will be offered nothing more than trade price over and over again. You will really struggle to sell it for anything more than trade price unless you find an end user, which is doubtful because the end user wants to feel safe and buy from a reputed source - that is what they pay the premium over trade price for. The end user will only come to you if it is a bargain..so we are back at trade money again.

My advice is.. don't waste your time trying to sell yourself online, simply take it to your local grey dealer and he will pay you cash on the spot. It is so much easier and you'll probably get a few hundred more than you'll get offered online.

Stay clear of PayPal too.. awful.
Thank you
Old 25 January 2019, 08:49 AM   #8
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
You can get a pretty good idea by looking at watchrecon.com, which will have watches from this forum's classified section, along with some other online sites.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 08:51 AM   #9
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Bank wire is the most secure way when dealing with sales that are not face to face. If you do a face to face cash transaction, go to your local office supply store and buy a counterfeit marking pen that you can check the bills with. A friend of a friend got scammed this way while selling his Rolex to 2 guys he did not know. There are a lot of horror stories out there, so go with your gut. 1 Red flag is one too many, and pass.
Remember, if it seems to good to be true, it typically is.

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 05:52 PM   #10
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior_ View Post
PayPal is a hot mess; I'd only accept a wire.

But then again, I'd never sell a Rolex.
Right but if you run away then the person sending the wire has no recourse. If it’s the hottest watch around and you have multiple competing offers then you can dictate the terms. Other sellers have to be more flexible unless they have a stellar reputation with tons of references and don’t mind sitting on a watch for a while. Also there is some slight risk of providing the bank and user information for the incoming wire transfer.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote