The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 February 2019, 11:26 AM   #1
AckAck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5204P
*Update* For research purposes only thread.

Quick update to my previous thread made yesterday.. “made 75 phone calls to AD’s all around the country asking if they had any SS sports models available..”

One of the AD’s (from a small town location not near a big city) called me back today thanking me for the nice conversation we had as most people “churn and burn” as soon as they hear no. He told me he spoke to the owner of the store and they can get me a 16610LN in approximately 2-3 months and will gladly ship it to me. He also sent an email with confirmation details. As well he stated in his email if interested in approximately 8-12 months a 116610LV and 116710BLNR would be doable. I told him I’ll take all three! He did say unfortunately he could not help me with the Daytona and Pepsi at this time.

For those who laughed at me in the previous thread.. hopefully this update changes some people’s perceptions, but of course only until I post incoming pictures I understand!
AckAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 11:28 AM   #2
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
A Hulk in 8–12 months was what I was quoted as well. I was shooting for October so this works perfectly for me. Congrats and I hope you post pics when you get your watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 11:32 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Moral of the story ... being nice pays off.

Good luck and I hope they come through for you. Could be the start of a good relationship.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 01:18 PM   #4
AckAck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Moral of the story ... being nice pays off.

Good luck and I hope they come through for you. Could be the start of a good relationship.
Thank you. Looks like they will become my Rolex AD for the long term!
Old 20 February 2019, 01:23 PM   #5
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
There are more watches in the back than you would think. Always be nice lol
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 12:14 AM   #6
AckAck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
A Hulk in 8–12 months was what I was quoted as well. I was shooting for October so this works perfectly for me. Congrats and I hope you post pics when you get your watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you!
Old 21 February 2019, 12:16 AM   #7
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Awesome, do the footwork, be nice and be rewarded. Congrats on the future incomings!
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 12:22 AM   #8
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Well done. Thanks for the update.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 12:27 AM   #9
Dr Watches
Banned

Hopefully that AD doesn't offer a similar deal to a Rolex NA secret shopper. You might never get your watch because they could lose their AD status.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 12:27 AM   #10
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Great news for you.

My AD rep (who is also friendly with me) told me Rolex is cracking down on cold calls from people w/o prior relationships especially out of staters (aka possible flippers) . I believe him. They stopped selling via phone calls to new people earlier last year.

Either your AD doesn’t care or hasn’t received the memo. Then again, the black GMT LN does turn up from time to time in display cases. It doesn’t have the 'demand' as some other models like the GMT BLNR and SUB LV. If I were a betting man, I think the LN will be your's and doubt about the other two unless you buy non-Rolex Prof items.

It will be interesting to see what specific watches this dealer can get you. I do wonder if this AD isn’t worried about losing their AD status and doesn’t care about new Rolex policies...

Good luck.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 12:45 AM   #11
77T

*Update* For research purposes only thread.

Thanks for the upside update. The phone survey worked it seems.

What were the terms? Do you need to pay now, or a deposit or anything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Watches View Post
Hopefully that AD doesn't offer a similar deal to a Rolex NA secret shopper.
Good point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
My AD rep (who is also friendly with me) told me Rolex is cracking down on cold calls from people w/o prior relationships especially out of staters (aka possible flippers) . I believe him. They stopped selling via phone calls to new people earlier last year.
My nearby AD has said the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 12:55 AM   #12
Kingfish01
"TRF" Member

Hate to break it to you sweetheart, but I’ve heard that line too. A lot of factors play into who gets a watch that might show up in the next several months. If you get it, great, let us know. Good luck
Kingfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 01:01 AM   #13
AckAck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Thanks for the upside update. The phone survey worked it seems.

What were the terms? Do you need to pay now, or a deposit or anything else?

Good point...

My nearby AD has said the same thing.

I asked if they wanted a deposit, they said if I wanted to sure, but there is no need. No deposit put down. They will call me when the watch arrives. Wire payment that day. Ship out the next. We shall see!
Old 21 February 2019, 01:01 AM   #14
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
But but...but, the BLNR and LV are being discontinued. Lying pieces of $%#@...

I reckon most people are tired of being declined and so when they call they have a cold attitude which in return promotes another cold attitude. If you are sincere and polite, I think this always goes a long way.
How often do you pick up the phone and before you start your militant query just take a moment to say hello and ask how the other person is doing and whether their day is going ok....

Congrats in advance.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 01:03 AM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
I asked if they wanted a deposit, they said if I wanted to sure, but there is no need. No deposit put down. They will call me when the watch arrives. Wire payment that day. Ship out the next. We shall see!
AFAIK that puts their dealership at risk. You have never been in the store. Ordering over the phone, paying by wire, and them shipping it isn't ok. Im skeptical they would do that for a watch they have no problem selling.

Existing customers sometimes can call up and place an order, but they have been in the store before. No part of this process involves you inside the store.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 01:23 AM   #16
77T

Thanks for the extra detail on payment - You may have come across an optimistic sales rep working in that small town AD. And the owner is allowing some headroom for moving an item if local demand is lagging.

Unless they placed a special order for you, I believe they are operating on the presumption one of those models will randomly show up in a RUSA shipment.

Should that happen, their first step will be to unpack it and then add to their operating inventory. It may sit in the case for a few weeks before a call/email is dispatched to you. In a way, you are a liquidator in retail parlance - a hedge against a Sub sitting around too long.

When it comes, call or email, please share it.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 01:38 AM   #17
AckAck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
AFAIK that puts their dealership at risk. You have never been in the store. Ordering over the phone, paying by wire, and them shipping it isn't ok. Im skeptical they would do that for a watch they have no problem selling.

Existing customers sometimes can call up and place an order, but they have been in the store before. No part of this process involves you inside the store.
I have been buying Patek’s for over 15 years from two of the largest AD’s in the country and have never once stepped through either of their retail store doors. I call and place an order, pay by wire after email confirmation, watch arrives to the AD and is then shipped to my home or office. This is standard and very common practice in the USA.
Old 21 February 2019, 01:40 AM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have been buying Patek’s for over 15 years from two of the largest AD’s in the country and have never once stepped through either of their retail store doors. I call and place an order, pay by wire after email confirmation, watch arrives to the AD and is then shipped to my home or office. This is standard and very common practice in the USA.
there is a lot of threads on it... its against the Rolex contract with the AD.
No idea on Patek.

do some do it? probably. A lot dont
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 01:42 AM   #19
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
It has been common in the past with Rolex as well. However, my longstanding AD would not even consider a phone order for a first time buyer. In fact, they don't love taking phone orders from me - since I moved away.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 01:48 AM   #20
AckAck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Thanks for the extra detail on payment - You may have come across an optimistic sales rep working in that small town AD. And the owner is allowing some headroom for moving an item if local demand is lagging.

Unless they placed a special order for you, I believe they are operating on the presumption one of those models will randomly show up in a RUSA shipment.

Should that happen, their first step will be to unpack it and then add to their operating inventory. It may sit in the case for a few weeks before a call/email is dispatched to you. In a way, you are a liquidator in retail parlance - a hedge against a Sub sitting around too long.

When it comes, call or email, please share it.

Great response. You sir comprehend how business and companies actually operate (as a large business owner myself). We are on the same wavelength. Exactly my thoughts as well... small town enthusiastic AD, very little foot traffic. Sales are tight. Your correct, special order was placed for the Hulk and BLNR, hence the 8-12 month wait. The Sub Date was a simple yes we can get that for you give us a 8-12 weeks tops. Looking forward to sharing when they do hopefully arrive.
Old 21 February 2019, 04:33 AM   #21
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Rolex doesn't allow sales to be made over the phone. If you were an existing customer, ADs get away with it but for a first timer, like Tyler said, I can't imagine a Rolex AD willing to ship to you. If it works out for you, great, but that's a huge risk for that AD.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 08:14 AM   #22
AckAck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
Rolex doesn't allow sales to be made over the phone. If you were an existing customer, ADs get away with it but for a first timer, like Tyler said, I can't imagine a Rolex AD willing to ship to you. If it works out for you, great, but that's a huge risk for that AD.
Not a first time Rolex customer by any means. Have bought numerous Rolex’s from other AD’s over the past 15 years of collecting, but haven’t bought anything within the past couple years as I took a Rolex hiatus. Every watch brand including Rolex I have bought has been from very well known large AD’s over the phone. As well, every friend, colleague and WIS that I know does the same. No one nowadays that I am involved with steps into a store anymore, they know what they want, make a phone call and can’t be bothered as they are too busy to deal with it. I’m stunned this is “not allowed” as I and everyone I know have been doing this for 15 years.
Old 21 February 2019, 08:27 AM   #23
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not a first time Rolex customer by any means. Have bought numerous Rolex’s from other AD’s over the past 15 years of collecting, but haven’t bought anything within the past couple years as I took a Rolex hiatus. Every watch brand including Rolex I have bought has been from very well known large AD’s over the phone. As well, every friend, colleague and WIS that I know does the same. No one nowadays that I am involved with steps into a store anymore, they know what they want, make a phone call and can’t be bothered as they are too busy to deal with it. I’m stunned this is “not allowed” as I and everyone I know have been doing this for 15 years.
I meant first time customer with this particular AD. I’m just surprised they agreed to sell over the phone to someone they haven’t sold to before but I guess that’s the risk they’re willing to take.
Old 21 February 2019, 08:36 AM   #24
AckAck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
I meant first time customer with this particular AD. I’m just surprised they agreed to sell over the phone to someone they haven’t sold to before but I guess that’s the risk they’re willing to take.
How would Rolex know whether I physically walked into the store to pick up the watch vs. shipping it to me? The stores don’t send Rolex over their surveillance videos everyday monitoring customers coming in a store or not to pick up any given purchased watch. A sale is a sale either way. This is absurd to me.
Old 21 February 2019, 09:40 AM   #25
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Because they do the same thing you’re doing. They secret shop ADs by calling them, buying watches, and then they deal with the AD. I’ve heard they can either lose their AD status or have their shipments cut back. ADs spend a lot of money to carry the brand and they try to protect those ADs.

I’m not disagreeing with you that it’s foolish. I’m just saying this AD is taking a huge risk by selling over the phone to a non established customer of their AD.