The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 22 February 2019, 01:32 AM   #1
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Anyone else favoring their Seikos over their Rolexes?

I am debating which watch or watches to bring on an upcoming Florida trip. If I bring my Sub, Explorer 2 or DJ2, it will be my only watch. I don’t want to leave one of those in my room to be stolen.

I am leaning towards bringing my black Turtle and a Hamilton or Orient dress watch. Less concern about getting bopped for my cheaper watches.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 01:52 AM   #2
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
I wear my GS SBGA387 probably overall more than my BLNR but still like both. For work travel the GS works well and personal vacations I usually do the BLNR. As long as I’m going somewhere fairly nice and there’s a safe in room I don’t worry too much. Most of the time they stay on my wrist anyway.
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 02:09 AM   #3
venom79
"TRF" Member

I have a Daytona, Batman and hulk, but in the last 2 months I have been only using my snowflake and sbgh267 hibeat, probably because of the novelty but I feel they are very comfortable specially the snowflake more than any of my other rolexes. Also the feeling of having a very top notch watch and people don’t knowing what I have in my wrist makes it an incredible low profile watch. Whenever I use my rolexes I feel people looks on my wrist more than I feel comfortable with.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
venom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 02:23 AM   #4
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
I am debating which watch or watches to bring on an upcoming Florida trip. If I bring my Sub, Explorer 2 or DJ2, it will be my only watch. I don’t want to leave one of those in my room to be stolen.

I am leaning towards bringing my black Turtle and a Hamilton or Orient dress watch. Less concern about getting bopped for my cheaper watches.
I have, yes. You are smart to travel with one watch. Years ago I brought several and felt like I was a slave to them, worrying abut them. Now, I wear the one on my wrist and that's it.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 02:42 AM   #5
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Always have.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 08:20 AM   #6
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Take just one.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 10:32 AM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Lately yes my GS is getting a ton of wrist time. I never travel with more than one piece that’s a rookie mistake unless aren’t staying at a hotel.
Old 22 February 2019, 04:58 PM   #8
dexter86
"TRF" Member

Having a Seiko for an overseas trip is safer for me
dexter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 09:48 PM   #9
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I enjoy my new GS as much as my Rolex watches and it gets a lot of wrist time in a rotation. I have a 16 watch rotation so as I wear through the Seiko's get more than a little wear.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 12:22 AM   #10
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Lately yes.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 02:54 AM   #11
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:

Discretion is the better part of valor.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 03:03 AM   #12
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I’m offended that you all think that Seikos are just diversionary fodder for thieves.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 10:23 AM   #13
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
In the past year my Grand Seikos (SBGA011, SBGA003, and SBGA375 have been in heavy rotation.

I enjoy wearing them to work where no one will notice or bother me about them.

They really are the kind of watch I can wear all day from breakfast to bedtime.
Chute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 09:45 PM   #14
YMII
"TRF" Member

Over time, it has pulled me more and more from Rolex to Grand Seiko ....

But I still like Rolex. They complement each other well.
YMII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 11:44 AM   #15
cjet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii, Polar
Over the last few months I've been bouncing back & forth between an Explorer ii/Polar and a nice late 70's 6309. I really love them both. The Explorer travels better, though: relatively low-key, highly water resistant, fine for casual (beach) and dress, and has the GMT function. As much as I love 6309, it's just not as flexible.
cjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 01:45 PM   #16
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

I bounce between these two

Love then both equally
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 02:47 PM   #17
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:

I always have a cheap watch ( Seiko or Casio ) with me when I travel, esp for leisure as I don't have to worry about the surroundings.
Old 25 February 2019, 02:52 PM   #18
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't say I am favouring my Seiko's over my Rolexes but I do really enjoy them.

I am a firm believer in only bringing one watch on any trip and never taking it off.
Old 25 February 2019, 07:39 PM   #19
ericisback
Banned

Two Seikos vs. three Rolexes:

And the brands get about the SAME wristtime. So I guess Seiko wins.
ericisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 01:02 AM   #20
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

Ok so a complete newcomer to Grand Seiko so there is an element of novelty-factor for me, but my snowflake has dominated wrist time over Rolex since being added to the collection.

...and in the momentary return back to Rolex, I've missed the snowflake more than I thought I would, and not missed Rolex as much as I thought I might.

That may change with time but right now Grand Seiko is on the menu.

What I do currently find though is, visually at least anyway, the snowflake is feeling more on par with the slightly higher end steel Rolex range (like the steel Daytona, steel SkyDwellers) and feeling more refined/special than say the more entry-priced steel GMTs/steel Subs are, to me.

Wearing a steel GMT again after the snowflake felt like I was looking at a way more primitive dial with its much bulkier/larger hour markers/fonts and less refined overall visuals, almost like something made with larger design cues rather than precision elements like found on the snowflake/Daytona.
sarjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 01:54 PM   #21
horonet17
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarjoo View Post
Ok so a complete newcomer to Grand Seiko so there is an element of novelty-factor for me, but my snowflake has dominated wrist time over Rolex since being added to the collection.

...and in the momentary return back to Rolex, I've missed the snowflake more than I thought I would, and not missed Rolex as much as I thought I might.

That may change with time but right now Grand Seiko is on the menu.

What I do currently find though is, visually at least anyway, the snowflake is feeling more on par with the slightly higher end steel Rolex range (like the steel Daytona, steel SkyDwellers) and feeling more refined/special than say the more entry-priced steel GMTs/steel Subs are, to me.

Wearing a steel GMT again after the snowflake felt like I was looking at a way more primitive dial with its much bulkier/larger hour markers/fonts and less refined overall visuals, almost like something made with larger design cues rather than precision elements like found on the snowflake/Daytona.
I recently picked up my first GS after admiring my friend's snowflake and completely echo this sentiment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
horonet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 08:15 PM   #22
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horonet17 View Post
I recently picked up my first GS after admiring my friend's snowflake and completely echo this sentiment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
And to add, I cant see the GS ever replacing the Rolexes but it definitely is complementing the overall collection very well. There's so much different and refreshing about the GS, that it fits in nicely aside the Rolex offerings.

I will say though I dont feel the GS is as robust or able to take a beating as well as the GMT Master for instance, that little guy is a solid workhorse I must say! Time will tell in regards of being able to take a daily beating and also reliability of the movement too, but in all other regards the GS is right up there with the Rolexes.

Time to get me a loupe I think and see what the real fuss is about with the snowflake dial and that infamous polishing technique GS are using.
sarjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2019, 04:30 PM   #23
dsldsl
"TRF" Member

I don't own a Rolex...yet, but chose a GS SBGA387 since I was tired of waiting for a Rolex. I am very happy with my decision and no regrets. I still want to add a Rolex down the road.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
dsldsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 06:46 AM   #24
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:

Black turtle, you can't go wrong. If you don't have one of those SS bracelets they sell on amazon for it, buy one. Will help vary the look from rubber.

I'm actually going to pick up a 777 this week. Plan to swap the bracelet from my SRPA21 on those "I'm feeling metal" days.

Better yet, buy a SRPA21 for $295 and take both with a strap tool.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 06:49 AM   #25
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
looks like prices jumped a bit. Still worth it. Amazing watch and the dial is an amazing sunburst blue. https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SRPA21-.../dp/B01HD7Y61G
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 06:59 AM   #26
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

I like my 007 on a Seiko jubilee better than any of the many (really many) Submariners I’ve owned over the years.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 07:30 AM   #27
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Enjoy my Seiko much more so than my Rolex especially the Turtle PADI pepsi with jubilee bracelet
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 08:49 AM   #28
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Mostly on weekends, I love this watch

denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 09:10 AM   #29
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If you're going to South Beach or anything like that I highly recommend leaving your Rolex at home. Seiko Alpinist 2019 on bracelet has unseated my SS SkyD blue as daily beater.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 10:07 AM   #30
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Went to Disneyhell last Spring. Spent alot of time in the pool, in the park, and going out to dinner. Brought one watch, my AK 14000, it never left my wrist.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote