The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 June 2020, 09:28 PM   #1
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Microbrands

What are the new up and coming brands you are interested in I was looking at this red William Wood fire watch looks nice.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 11:54 PM   #2
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman37 View Post
What are the new up and coming brands you are interested in I was looking at this red William Wood fire watch looks nice.
Interesting watches but for that price there's plenty of other options in the 'Microbrand Diver Watch' category.

From their website it is unclear to me where these watches are manufactured / assembled, which to me suggests 'Not in England'. And if it is being manufactured and assembled in China, there's not much motivation for me to pay $1250 for the ETA or an outrageous $880 for a Seiko NH35, when I can get an excellent dive watch with a Seiko NH35 and surface hardened steel for $400 (Traska Freediver). Sure Traska don't have the cool story to go with it though. From reading a few reviews of this watch, it appears the insignia/helmet is crafted in London, so that could explain the some of the pricetag, but still a hard pass from me

They also lost me with their attempted glorification of the Seiko NH35:
Quote:
Some would argue that Seiko were the first brand to produce an automatic watch and watch critics argue that Seiko movement are as accurate as major Swiss luxury providers.
The NH35 is a decent workhorse movement, but this reeks of marketing fluff.

Sorry for my cynical feedback. I look at microbrand watches all day and I've grown quite tired of brands that lean on their story more than their watches.
thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 12:02 AM   #3
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
I am currently awaiting my first order from Zelos Watches. An ETA based GMT with date and meteorite dial + bezel!

Will post pics here when I have it.

The brand recently did a limited run of a Swiss made tourbillon which sold out in under an hour I am told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 12:28 AM   #4
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

If you're after EU based Microbrands that make dive watches, here are some to look at:

MAEN Hudson 38 - €399.20

Baltic Aquascaphe - €579.17 (I actually own one of these and this watch is considered to be a somewhat on the expensive side)

Archimede SportTaucher - €940.00 (Not really a microbrand by some definitions, but you're getting Ickler's almost 100 years of case manufacturing experience and most of the hardware is made in Germany)

Farer Aqua Compressor - €1,175.00 (A bit expensive and they have a bit of fluff, but nice looking watches with quality specs)

Formex Essence COSC - $1,265.00 (Lots of cool engineering innovation and likely to be a watch I get this year)

Yema Navygraf Heritage - $749.00 https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=740542 (Not really a microbrand, but they have some neat dive watches and are based in France. They have an 'inhouse' movement that works pretty well)

There's plenty of others, this is just what I could think of right now.
Old 15 June 2020, 12:43 AM   #5
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
Lots of good one, I really like the MKII Paradive, most Formex models and many of the small German brands like Laco and Stowa
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 01:22 AM   #6
Pilliam
"TRF" Member

I have a Raven "Venture" that's a couple of years old. Solid watch, great value with an ETA movement.

I also like the ones others have posted so far.
Pilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 08:31 AM   #7
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesingularity7 View Post
Interesting watches but for that price there's plenty of other options in the 'Microbrand Diver Watch' category.

From their website it is unclear to me where these watches are manufactured / assembled, which to me suggests 'Not in England'. And if it is being manufactured and assembled in China, there's not much motivation for me to pay $1250 for the ETA or an outrageous $880 for a Seiko NH35, when I can get an excellent dive watch with a Seiko NH35 and surface hardened steel for $400 (Traska Freediver). Sure Traska don't have the cool story to go with it though. From reading a few reviews of this watch, it appears the insignia/helmet is crafted in London, so that could explain the some of the pricetag, but still a hard pass from me

They also lost me with their attempted glorification of the Seiko NH35:

The NH35 is a decent workhorse movement, but this reeks of marketing fluff.

Sorry for my cynical feedback. I look at microbrand watches all day and I've grown quite tired of brands that lean on their story more than their watches.
It’s not cynical it’s great feedback thank you there are so many out there it’s hard to pick one
Old 15 June 2020, 08:31 AM   #8
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
I am currently awaiting my first order from Zelos Watches. An ETA based GMT with date and meteorite dial + bezel!

Will post pics here when I have it.

The brand recently did a limited run of a Swiss made tourbillon which sold out in under an hour I am told.

So many of their modes seem to sell out
Old 15 June 2020, 08:32 AM   #9
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you're after EU based Microbrands that make dive watches, here are some to look at:

MAEN Hudson 38 - €399.20

Baltic Aquascaphe - €579.17 (I actually own one of these and this watch is considered to be a somewhat on the expensive side)

Archimede SportTaucher - €940.00 (Not really a microbrand by some definitions, but you're getting Ickler's almost 100 years of case manufacturing experience and most of the hardware is made in Germany)

Farer Aqua Compressor - €1,175.00 (A bit expensive and they have a bit of fluff, but nice looking watches with quality specs)

Formex Essence COSC - $1,265.00 (Lots of cool engineering innovation and likely to be a watch I get this year)

Yema Navygraf Heritage - $749.00 https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=740542 (Not really a microbrand, but they have some neat dive watches and are based in France. They have an 'inhouse' movement that works pretty well)

There's plenty of others, this is just what I could think of right now.
Wow thanks for posting these I like the Baltic one
Old 15 June 2020, 09:59 AM   #10
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
$740 for a $100 retail Miyota movement powered watch? Ouch!

Looks nice though.
Old 15 June 2020, 10:19 AM   #11
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
$740 for a $100 retail Miyota movement powered watch? Ouch!

Looks nice though.
Yeah, I did mention that they're often accused of being on the expensive side. The owner (Etienne) recently commented about some of their cost breakdown and why he chose to not use ETA here - https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/my...l#post51908141

I can understand those that would avoid it for the movement, but the watch is very beautifully designed. The dial just pops under natural light!

Old 15 June 2020, 10:35 AM   #12
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:

Yeah, I did mention that they're often accused of being on the expensive side. The owner (Etienne) recently commented about some of their cost breakdown and why he chose to not use ETA here - https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/my...l#post51908141

I can understand those that would avoid it for the movement, but the watch is very beautifully designed. The dial just pops under natural light!

Yes, I like the watch and beads of rice bracelet. Nicely done. I think it's wonderfully designed. The gilt with the blue starburst and simplicity of the bezel insert is very cool. It pulls off a vintage streamlined look without having to try too hard.

I just can't get around that price for a Miyota unless it was modded to the hilt. I could justify if it were 50% less. Aesthetics alone can't get me to spend more.
Old 15 June 2020, 10:48 AM   #13
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
Yes, I like the watch and beads of rice bracelet. Nicely done. I think it's wonderfully designed. The gilt with the blue starburst and simplicity of the bezel insert is very cool. It pulls off a vintage streamlined look without having to try too hard.

I just can't get around that price for a Miyota unless it was modded to the hilt. I could justify if it were 50% less. Aesthetics alone can't get me to spend more.
I agree, if this watch was even in the $500-550 range, it would help open up a lot more wallets. But they seem to be doing great with their sales so I doubt they're going to be listening to fans anytime soon. Their W&W limited edition Bicompax sold at $625 with a Seagull ST19 :o. I recently picked up a Lorier Gemini ($500) with that movement and very much disliked it. But both of these watches seem to be doing great on the market.
Old 16 June 2020, 10:33 PM   #14
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ordered one for my firefighter friend. Just thought it was perfect gift since he’s also a watch enthusiast.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 10:43 PM   #15
sportsdoc
"TRF" Member

Monta brand is based in St Louis, same owners I believe as Everest bands. Solid offerings IMO

sportsdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2020, 03:33 AM   #16
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Just ordered this little guy. Seems like a fun piece and the launch special price was interesting for Meteorite +Ti. Will report back once it arrives.

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 12:14 AM   #17
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Incoming
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9B07E347-AE04-4941-B29D-66F0D9164E82.jpeg (75.6 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpeg E13A2025-55BF-486B-9D30-28E62C8BFD21.jpeg (70.9 KB, 438 views)
Old 29 September 2020, 11:42 AM   #18
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
Incoming
That looks very nice! Received my Zelos Swordfish too!
Old 29 September 2020, 12:15 PM   #19
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I have an incoming Yema Flygraf. Not sure if it qualifies as a microbrand.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 12:33 PM   #20
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Check out OWC. You can get a watch for the same price as what you are looking at with a Swiss movement, and the overall quality is great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 05:43 PM   #21
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Second day

Old 30 September 2020, 12:04 AM   #22
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post

Second day

Cool watch. I looked at these too online when they were first introduced. This thread made me take a second look. 16mm thick, that’s just too much for me likely. How does it wear?
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 09:38 AM   #23
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Cool watch. I looked at these too online when they were first introduced. This thread made me take a second look. 16mm thick, that’s just too much for me likely. How does it wear?

It wears OK for me. Just like a Turtle. I wore it while working out for past two days. Maybe third straight day later.

Old 30 September 2020, 09:56 AM   #24
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
I thought this one was very unique with a vintage appeal. Direnzo Watch 03, with Swiss movement. About $750US.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Direnzo03_s.jpg (81.9 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg Direnzo03_2s.jpg (143.9 KB, 327 views)
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 10:10 AM   #25
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183230538232
BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 04:36 PM   #26
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Quote:

Halios or Zelos

alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 06:32 PM   #27
ancientmariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am into Phoibos. Started by making very good Submariner homages, but have now developed their own style of watches in some ways similar to Zelos....but cheaper!

Here is a funky example. Proteus.
Seiko automatic movement with meteorite dial, AR coated sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel. Lume takes some beating. 2yr warranty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0426.jpeg (72.5 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0434.jpeg (73.8 KB, 298 views)
ancientmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2020, 06:35 AM   #28
GolfJunkie

Watch: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
That looks very nice! Received my Zelos Swordfish too!
What are you thoughts on this watch after having it for a couple weeks?
GolfJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2020, 08:00 AM   #29
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfJunkie View Post
What are you thoughts on this watch after having it for a couple weeks?
It's a very nice watch for what it proposes. Extremely cool meteorite dial and bezel and solid build quality, including the bracelet and glidelock style (!) micro adjustment clasp. Not to mention it's entirely in Ti.

Having said all that, I am finding that the issue I encounter with micro brands is that despite the solid package, I keep reaching for my other pieces when choosing which watch to wear.

I might put it up for sale LNIB for that reason. Awesome as it is, I'm just never wearing it. And if that applies for the "honeymoon period", it's usually a sign that it won't get any wrist time.
Old 14 October 2020, 08:09 AM   #30
GolfJunkie

Watch: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
It's a very nice watch for what it proposes. Extremely cool meteorite dial and bezel and solid build quality, including the bracelet and glidelock style (!) micro adjustment clasp. Not to mention it's entirely in Ti.

Having said all that, I am finding that the issue I encounter with micro brands is that despite the solid package, I keep reaching for my other pieces when choosing which watch to wear.

I might put it up for sale LNIB for that reason. Awesome as it is, I'm just never wearing it. And if that applies for the "honeymoon period", it's usually a sign that it won't get any wrist time.
This is the exact issue I'm having as well. I was looking at a NIB Mako 3 bronze but not sure I'd ever grab it over my other watches. Been down that road and have a handful of cheap(er) watches that just sit in the box.

Appreciate the response
GolfJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote