The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 July 2022, 08:34 AM   #1
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5212a
6119r?

Hi all, looking to buy my first high-end dress watch. I’m in scrubs or casual wear most of the time so I’m looking for a dress watch that could be worn with jeans and a T-shirt as well as a suit. The 6119r continues to catch my attention, however, I’ve never held one in person. Is there anyone out there who is an owner or seen this watch in person that would care to comment on this particular watch? I’m between this and an 1815 Lange but would be open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Rolex GMT Master II “Pepsi” (126710BLRO), Rolex Daytona (116519), Rolex Explorer (214270), Rolex SkyDweller mint green (336934), Rolex Submariner (124060), Rolex Submariner “Hulk” (116610LV), Omega Seamaster Diver 300M, Patek Philippe Calatrava (6119r), Patek Philippe Weekly Calendar (5212a), Vacheron Constantine Overseas Black (4500V)
Aboutderntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2022, 08:57 AM   #2
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboutderntime View Post
Hi all, looking to buy my first high-end dress watch. I’m in scrubs or casual wear most of the time so I’m looking for a dress watch that could be worn with jeans and a T-shirt as well as a suit. The 6119r continues to catch my attention, however, I’ve never held one in person. Is there anyone out there who is an owner or seen this watch in person that would care to comment on this particular watch? I’m between this and an 1815 Lange but would be open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Because too am in scrubs a lot, I wear suits too on my administrative and clinic days, I tried both the R and G versions of the 6119. There is no wrong answer! It’s a beautiful watch that checks all boxes for me! Can be easily dressed up or down, and with quick release straps, you have endless options to make it casual or dressy

I ended up deciding to go with G as the dial to me was the deal maker and the white gold allows it to be both dress and casual watch, with strap variations
I can’t be happier with my choice and would do it over a million times
Good luck!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8655936C-09FC-4F9D-A29F-232D1F14004B.jpeg (226.0 KB, 882 views)
Old 19 July 2022, 04:09 PM   #3
Replicar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Deleted
Replicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 07:47 AM   #4
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I am partial to the R and think that, with the right strap, it could easily be toned down and worn with more casual clothes.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 09:01 AM   #5
schoutedeni
"TRF" Member

I know it’s a little bit more money but what about a 7234 pilot time? It’s a nice blend between formal and casual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
schoutedeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 12:23 PM   #6
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

In a similar profession… 6119 for me didn’t last. It wore bigger than expected and wasn’t able to dress down as much as I wanted. I greatly prefer the 5226 as a casual strap watch.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 10:29 PM   #7
Arthur Daley
"TRF" Member

I wear mine with jeans and even shorts regularly. It's absolutely "comfortable" with both casual and formal wear, even in rose gold.

I was surprised the first time I wore it casually. But it just works.

Sent from my SM-F700U1 using Tapatalk
Arthur Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 05:30 AM   #8
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I own both the 5196r and 6119r. I have had much more luck dressing down the 5196r. There is something about the Clous de Paris that makes it hard to dress down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 12:29 PM   #9
Arthur Daley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmichNJ View Post
I own both the 5196r and 6119r. I have had much more luck dressing down the 5196r. There is something about the Clous de Paris that makes it hard to dress down.

I suppose your experience is very different from my own. I find the 6119R as easy to wear casually as a 5167A. It's not a dainty piece, but it's low profile and relatively inconspicuous for a rose gold watch.

Arthur Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 02:38 AM   #10
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

6119r?

I tend to lean towards 6119g. Easy to dress up or down, elegant but understated, the watch can be transformed by changing bands to any number of colors/materials as I am sure you have already seen.

I like rose gold, but find it harder to integrate into daily wearing if one should choose. Depending on your direction, I noticed trusted seller Jacek at Tropical Watch has a 6119g in the classifieds for a exceptionally good price. Either way, both are beautiful watches though…you really can’t loose.

Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 11:14 PM   #11
"TRF" Member

G
997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 01:49 AM   #12
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Daley View Post
I suppose your experience is very different from my own. I find the 6119R as easy to wear casually as a 5167A. It's not a dainty piece, but it's low profile and relatively inconspicuous for a rose gold watch.

I agree. The only situation I wouldn’t wear mine casually is in very hot weather where a leather band is not the most pleasant to wear.

Otherwise, I find the 6119R very versatile.

Al1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 02:27 AM   #13
ts3
"TRF" Member

Lots of enabling here...

My AD always has had one or both 6119 in the shop window and I have not been tempted whatsoever. Not a well-designed watch in my eyes. Fully agree to the post below from another recent thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrc36 View Post
The 6119 is just too busy for me, in addition to the unnecessary increase in size.

The hobnail is too sparkly. The railroad track is fine but I don't need both a dot on the railroad at each hour when there's already a baton marker at each hour plus the hobnail - too much going on.

I also don't need the big cross in the middle of the seconds subdial.

They seem to be trying to do too much.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 04:06 AM   #14
Dalaruan
"TRF" Member

I suppose we can agree to disagree
The 6119 I think is way better than any other three handers offerings from both aesthetic and technical perspective
Dalaruan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 04:38 AM   #15
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think these are real beauties here. Rg vs wg are always a consideration. I think the wg looks a bit sportier and with the ability to change bands, you can have quite a versatile piece. The wg with blue strap looks stunning to my eyes and we’re I to own it I would wear it with shorts and jeans no problem. Another thing that holds true for most pp other than nautilus and aquanauts is that they really fly under the radar which appeals to me. Good luck with your search!
Turbo Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 04:10 PM   #16
FloridaBill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
Quote:
According to your profile, you don't own a PP and obviously people on this subforum love that brand, and some of the 1815 Lange versions are nice choices, but I still prefer PP.

With the 6119, I saw both the 6119r and 6119g in person and for me, the 6119r was the one that I liked best. For me, the white pearl dial is magnificent, where the black dial was very muted and hard to read depening on how the light hits it. Both watches look much different in person than they do in pictures. Do not buy either one sight unseen. As proven here many times, some members like the look of the black dial with wg over the silvery dial on rg, but there really is not correct best option as it is so personal. My single opinion is the rose gold looks better in person and the white gold looks better in pictures, but again both are beautiful watches.

I do think the 6119r is more dressy or flashy and much more noticeable than the 6119g where the 6119g can easily and discretely be worn with hardly anyone noticing.
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2022, 01:22 AM   #17
leisen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Lots of enabling here...

My AD always has had one or both 6119 in the shop window and I have not been tempted whatsoever. Not a well-designed watch in my eyes. Fully agree to the post below from another recent thread.
I agree. Not a well designed watch. Too busied dial. Not casual, not elegant.
leisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2022, 10:57 AM   #18
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisen View Post

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder but really ??? How an opinion like this possible really baffles me

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2022, 11:48 AM   #19
jw0n
"TRF" Member

I have no issues dressing my 6119g up or down. I imagine the r would be as versatile.

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2022, 12:50 AM   #20
leisen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder but really ??? How an opinion like this possible really baffles me

Maybe I shouldn’t have written the text this way. It’s not my intention to offend anyone. I apologize about that.
Old 26 July 2022, 03:49 AM   #21
wetsum3
"TRF" Member

It’s a great watch, it just wears a bigger than you’d expect. I like the size of a 5196 better. Both are quite nice though.
wetsum3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2022, 04:13 AM   #22
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe I shouldn’t have written the text this way. It’s not my intention to offend anyone. I apologize about that.
no need to apologize its your opinion but still - so you like the 5196 but the 6119 not all ?
Old 26 July 2022, 04:35 AM   #23
leisen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
no need to apologize its your opinion but still - so you like the 5196 but the 6119 not all ?
Yes, I prefer the 5196 (and also the 5119) over the 6119. I like clear dials. It seems to me that the railroad track along with the dots on the hour are a bit too much for a Calatrava. A lot of gold on hands and indexes. The 6119 is similar to some Rolex Cellini or VC Patrimony Traditionelle but it scapes from what a classic PP is. Just my opinion.
Old 26 July 2022, 04:40 AM   #24
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, I prefer the 5196 (and also the 5119) over the 6119. I like clear dials. It seems to me that the railroad track along with the dots on the hour are a bit too much for a Calatrava. A lot of gold on hands and indexes. The 6119 is similar to some Rolex Cellini or VC Patrimony Traditionelle but it scapes from what a classic PP is. Just my opinion.
got it, I do love the 5196P even though I believe it would be too small for me. that being said looking at both I have a hard time seeing one as too busy over the other - I feel the calatrava dna remianed in the 6119 while also being modern enough for younger buyers as myself.
Old 26 July 2022, 08:55 AM   #25
FloridaBill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
Quote:
I totally disagree and think the 6119r and 6119g are beautiful.

One thing people seem to forget it the sapphire back on the 6119 is STUNNING and is far superior to any other Calatrava and even nicer than the Aquanaut/Nautilus backs

FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2022, 10:54 AM   #26
Gandor
"TRF" Member

The 6119 movement is by far one of the sexiest patek produces.
Gandor is offline   Reply With Quote