The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 29 November 2007, 03:34 AM   #1
time
"TRF" Member

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak

Hi,

Do you have some experience with AP Royal Oak?

What do you think when you compare it with e.g. Rolex Sub./LV?

I am getting to like the AP now....after many ROlex years...
Old 29 November 2007, 04:37 AM   #2
puffnmo

Two very different watches... I would see a RO as a good way to diversify a collection if you don't have one. Larry.
puffnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2007, 06:26 AM   #3
LawMan
"TRF" Member

No comparison really. I have an ROO Themes , safari white dial. Quality , fit and finish is a big step up from rolex. That said both are iconic watches that have wonderful pedigrees. AP only produces about 20 thousand watches per year, many watches have a long wait list Not sure about rolex annual production.
LawMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2007, 07:03 AM   #4
Thani
Banned

Watch: Milgauss 116400 GV
i think the AP royal oak is an amazing watch and u should go for it
Thani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by time View Post
What do you think when you compare it with e.g. Rolex Sub./LV?
NO COMPARISON!

I love Rolex, but after spending more time getting to know AP (I have an AP ROO Chrono on order), I've come to relaize how much better it is than Rolex. Don't get me wrong, I love Rolex and always will, but Rolex is so big mainly becuase of their EXCELLENT marketing and name branding. Yes they make great wathces, but I think to most people who really aren't too familiar with wathces they hear Rolex and automatically assume it is the best.

People who really know watches and have the disposable income to spend big money on watches covet brands like AP, Patek, and A. Lange & Sohne.

p.s. This is my 777 post so it must be LUCKY!!!!!

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2008, 04:16 PM   #6
Stratton
"TRF" Member

Their cost is much higher than Rolex. Bear in mind when buying one of these the very high cost of servicing. Get a quote from AP before pulling the trigger. If you're loaded go for it.
Stratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2008, 03:01 AM   #7
abigsecret
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back!
Audemars Piguet is my absolute favorite brand in the whole watch industry!
They're made in a little family-owned factory in Vallee de Joux in Switzerland.

Like the other guys said, you cannot compare them to Rolex (That's like comparing a Rolex with an Omega....Rolex being the "AP" and the Omega being the "Rolex"), but at the other hand, it's not because Rolex makes close to a million watches a year that they're time pieces are not well made!
Because I know more about watches than an average person I get that question a lot: "which watch is the best one from all of them?"
My answer: "price/quality comparison, Rolex hands down!"
Patek, AP, and the other super high-end brands, have fantastic watches, but they keep the same time as a Rolex. Just because they use a lot of gold, limited editions, and more craftmanship with they're skeleton movement and what not, makes them more valuable and desirable to a lot of (rich) buyers. So they're in a league of their own.

But then also; a Patek or Piaget, or whatever is not something most owners "wear every single day, with everything they do" like most Rolex owners...
Rolex is the sturdiest watch out there (besides the Casio G-Shock maybe)

OK, I rambled long enough now.... go ahead, buy that Royal Oak, it's a fantastic time piece!

He who knows no foreign language does not know his own.-Goethe
abigsecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2008, 03:03 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigsecret View Post

Like the other guys said, you cannot compare them to Rolex (That's like comparing a Rolex with an Omega....Rolex being the "AP" and the Omega being the "Rolex"), but at the other hand, it's not because Rolex makes close to a million watches a year that they're time pieces are not well made!
Because I know more about watches than an average person I get that question a lot: "which watch is the best one from all of them?"
Patek, AP, and the other super high-end brands, have fantastic watches, but they keep the same time as a Rolex. Just because they use a lot of gold, limited editions, and more craftmanship with they're skeleton movement and what not, makes them more valuable and desirable to a lot of (rich) buyers. So they're in a league of their own.

But then also; a Patek or Piaget, or whatever is not something most owners "wear every single day, with everything they do" like most Rolex owners...

OK, I rambled long enough now.... go ahead, buy that Royal Oak, it's a fantastic time piece!
Good post, Mireyna....and congrats on your 400th post!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2008, 03:10 AM   #9
abigsecret
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Good post, Mireyna....and congrats on your 400th post!!
Thanks JJ! One day I might be able to say the same about your posts
This will be 401 than, jippie!

He who knows no foreign language does not know his own.-Goethe
abigsecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2008, 03:15 AM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Thanks JJ! One day I might be able to say the same about your posts
This will be 401 than, jippie!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2008, 08:12 AM   #11
lardog
Banned

Watch: Over 50
Quote:

AP Royal Oak is a great watch line.
"That's like comparing a Rolex with an Omega" i will take an Omega over an over priced rolex any day. did rolex go to the MOON NO they did not. The sub crashed and burned.
lardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2008, 08:52 AM   #12
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardog View Post
did rolex go to the MOON NO they did not. The sub crashed and burned.
Sub? When did the Sub ever come into contention for the space program? You want to check your facts before posting - don't go dragging the conversation down the gutter.
Old 3 January 2008, 08:58 AM   #13
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Ok Lardog, I get it.

You hate Rolex.
Old 3 January 2008, 09:00 AM   #14
lardog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
Sub? When did the Sub ever come into contention for the space program? You want to check your facts before posting - don't go dragging the conversation down the gutter.
Five different brands of chronographs were purchased and returned to NASA for testing. The Speedmaster passed NASA's numerous tests, which included exposure to extreme temperatures, vacuum, intense humidity, corrosion, shock, acceleration, pressure, vibration and noise [2], whereas the Rolex, Breitling, Bulova, Longines and Heuer, notably, all failed[3].
Old 3 January 2008, 09:02 AM   #15
lardog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
Ok Lardog, I get it.

You hate Rolex.
not the watch it's some of the people that where them.
Old 3 January 2008, 09:03 AM   #16
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Quote:
Five different brands of chronographs were purchased and returned to NASA for testing. The Speedmaster passed NASA's numerous tests, which included exposure to extreme temperatures, vacuum, intense humidity, corrosion, shock, acceleration, pressure, vibration and noise [2], whereas the Rolex, Breitling, Bulova, Longines and Heuer, notably, all failed[3].
You're a bit thick, aren't you? Ok, sport, lemme spell it out for you:

DID NASA TEST A SUB?!

Now, was that clear enough or did you want me to draw it in crayon for you?

Let's get one thing straight: my attention is the last thing you could want. Looking at your posts here and in other threads, I'm getting increasingly annoyed by your running around half-cocked and coming up with the most inane claims - right now you're being a troll and I've got no compunction about getting rid of you without a second thought. Think before you post, and you would do well to read things in full before shooting your mouth off. I'm not going to tell you nicely again.
Old 3 January 2008, 09:26 AM   #17
DS/B MINI S
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD & Exp II
Quote:
AP Royal Oak is a great watch line.
"That's like comparing a Rolex with an Omega" i will take an Omega over an over priced rolex any day. did rolex go to the MOON NO they did not. The sub crashed and burned.
Well, I currently own a couple of Omega watches (SMP & Speedy) and a couple of Rolex watches (Sea-Dweller & Explorer II). The Omega watches offer outstanding value (if purchased pre-loved), but I can assure you they are not built to Rolex standards. I think if you look at the 'total cost' of Rolex ownership you'll have a better understanding.

Yes, the ROO is a step up from either Rolex or Omega. Of course, they are targeting different markets
Old 3 January 2008, 09:43 AM   #18
lardog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS/B MINI S View Post
Well, I currently own a couple of Omega watches (SMP & Speedy) and a couple of Rolex watches (Sea-Dweller & Explorer II). The Omega watches offer outstanding value (if purchased pre-loved), but I can assure you they are not built to Rolex standards. I think if you look at the 'total cost' of Rolex ownership you'll have a better understanding.

Yes, the ROO is a step up from either Rolex or Omega. Of course, they are targeting different markets
(but I can assure you they are not built to Rolex standards) HAHA like i said and NASA said OMEGA went to the MOON rolex did not cut it. SO much for ROLEX standards.

Five different brands of chronographs were purchased and returned to NASA for testing. The Speedmaster passed NASA's numerous tests, which included exposure to extreme temperatures, vacuum, intense humidity, corrosion, shock, acceleration, pressure, vibration and noise , whereas the Rolex, Breitling, Bulova, Longines and Heuer, notably, all failed.

The manufacturers of this historic chronograph give meaning to the words quality, craftsmanship and teamwork. It withstood vigorous and repeated testing and surely must be one of the most thoroughly tested watches in history. It was the only watch "Flight Qualified by NASA for all Manned Space Missions" and was used during Projects Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab, Apollo-Soyuz, and the Space Shuttle. As the only piece of space equipment available for wear to the public, the Speedmaster Professional provides the opportunity to own a small piece of history. But perhaps the greatest legacy of the Speedmaster Professional is that it has withstood the test of time. For even now, some 30 years after it was first introduced, it is still the only watch flight-qualified by NASA for extravehicular space activity.

Old 3 January 2008, 09:49 AM   #19
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
Ok Lardog, I get it.
You hate Rolex.
Quote:
not the watch it's some of the people that where them.
What did the people do to you? Did they make you where a Rolex?
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2008, 09:49 AM   #20
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Nobody here is going to the moon, so you don't have to defend your Omega or your inferiority complex.
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 3 January 2008, 09:53 AM   #21
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
WHERE did they WEAR their watches? LOL..
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 3 January 2008, 09:54 AM   #22
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
So why are you here? And what does this have to do with the Royal Oak? I have an Omega, and I think the analogy was just. Now, back to the regularly scheduled program...AP.
boa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2008, 10:04 AM   #23
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

I think it is a bit unfair to label the majority of Rolex owners in a negative way.

I know that some people call Porsche owners "wankers" but that is another unfair stereotypical view and only applies to a relatively small amount of individuals.

Of course we all know individuals who live up to the "wanker" image, conceited, demeaning of other people's views, that sort of thing.

We tolerate them and seldom do we call them out on it.

Rolex enthusiasts are the salt of the earth, I find. Same applies to genuine Porsche enthusiasts.
Old 3 January 2008, 01:05 PM   #24
haakon59
"TRF" Member

The AP Royal Oak is a very nice watch. I have tried one on many times and if you are going to compare them with Rolex, here is what I would say:

1. AP Much more exclusive, compared to Rolex
2. AP Real handwork/hand finishing, especially compared to Rolex.
3. AP Beautiful work all the way around. You will appreciate it's beauty as a work of art. You will be impressed.
4. AP Impressive horological skills.

1. Rolex More rugged by comparison (the AP bezel scratches much easier)
2. Rolex Much less expensive to maintain. Rolex is around $400.00 while AP is $1200-1500.
3. Rolex is well known and therefore has better resale percentagewise, even though knowlegible people (of which there are not too many) will far prefer the AP. But in general, Rolex is much better, especially in the wider public markets.

I would say your choice depends a little on how it will fit in your life. If you have some Rolex watches already, it might be fun to buy the AP and wear it and let it dazzle you. But if the maintenance costs would be high for you, I would say stick with Rolex and Omega. But if you have some Rolex and you have the money for maintenance, bring some beauty into your life by having a watch from a company which tries it's hardest to bring that beauty and buy AP.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2008, 01:16 PM   #25
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It sounds like you are giving Omega an inferior position to Rolex. I would dispute this. Both are very fine companies and I think in fact, they are very comparable in terms of finish and overall quality. But I guess we all have our own opinions.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2008, 04:03 PM   #26
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon59 View Post
The AP Royal Oak is a very nice watch. I have tried one on many times and if you are going to compare them with Rolex, here is what I would say:

1. AP Much more exclusive, compared to Rolex
2. AP Real handwork/hand finishing, especially compared to Rolex.
3. AP Beautiful work all the way around. You will appreciate it's beauty as a work of art. You will be impressed.
4. AP Impressive horological skills.

1. Rolex More rugged by comparison (the AP bezel scratches much easier)
2. Rolex Much less expensive to maintain. Rolex is around $400.00 while AP is $1200-1500.
3. Rolex is well known and therefore has better resale percentagewise, even though knowlegible people (of which there are not too many) will far prefer the AP. But in general, Rolex is much better, especially in the wider public markets.

I would say your choice depends a little on how it will fit in your life. If you have some Rolex watches already, it might be fun to buy the AP and wear it and let it dazzle you. But if the maintenance costs would be high for you, I would say stick with Rolex and Omega. But if you have some Rolex and you have the money for maintenance, bring some beauty into your life by having a watch from a company which tries it's hardest to bring that beauty and buy AP.
Stated perfectly!
boa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2008, 04:55 PM   #27
Altair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5270
I never undrstood this brand loyality thing myself, if I like a watch I buy it and as far as im concerned the company owes me for buying their product, not the other way around. Rolex makes some fine watches, and some stinkers too but they are all a step up quality wise from most Omegas (not all).

Having a personal opinion is fine, and you are free to express it in a sensible manner as a gentleman. However coming over to a Rolex forum where there are people who feel passionate about something and constantly bashing that product is the definition of trolling. There are tons of Omega forums and im sure you will find alot of people who would love to share your enthusiasm for hating Rolex, just as their are people around here who bash Breitling, Tag etc etc to feel better about their purchases.

If you think the SMP is a better chrono than the Daytona you are seriousely ignorant.

Lets just enjoy our watches people and the company and knowledge available here, no need to compare penise sizes.
Altair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2008, 05:00 PM   #28
Altair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5270
As far as AP, they are fine fine watches and definately a step up from Rolex quality wise. A bit too much money for my blood though, with that kind of cash I am planning to get a JLC Reverso GMT as my only ultra high end watch.

That said I would take an AP over a Daytona (as much as I like it) anyday, the finish and workmanship on an AP is something to behold, the JLC Reverso GMT combines higher level workmanship with great style and tons of complications for a reasonable enough price (can be had from an AD for around 8k)
Altair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2008, 10:30 PM   #29
time
"TRF" Member

Thanks!

I have considered AP RO a long time while owning several Rolex'......

I think it is not common sense to buy a brand new AP due to the price. Indeed, I will consider to buy a AP RO 15300 99% new some day

AP is much better well-made, however, Rolex is the overall best for daily wearing. Owning a watch is not investment, so I will buy the watches I like. Now, I like AP indeed - in additional to Sub/Expl/GMT......of cause.
Old 4 January 2008, 01:40 AM   #30
CPCC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
(but I can assure you they are not built to Rolex standards) HAHA like i said and NASA said OMEGA went to the MOON rolex did not cut it. SO much for ROLEX standards.

Five different brands of chronographs were purchased and returned to NASA for testing. The Speedmaster passed NASA's numerous tests, which included exposure to extreme temperatures, vacuum, intense humidity, corrosion, shock, acceleration, pressure, vibration and noise , whereas the Rolex, Breitling, Bulova, Longines and Heuer, notably, all failed.

The manufacturers of this historic chronograph give meaning to the words quality, craftsmanship and teamwork. It withstood vigorous and repeated testing and surely must be one of the most thoroughly tested watches in history. It was the only watch "Flight Qualified by NASA for all Manned Space Missions" and was used during Projects Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab, Apollo-Soyuz, and the Space Shuttle. As the only piece of space equipment available for wear to the public, the Speedmaster Professional provides the opportunity to own a small piece of history. But perhaps the greatest legacy of the Speedmaster Professional is that it has withstood the test of time. For even now, some 30 years after it was first introduced, it is still the only watch flight-qualified by NASA for extravehicular space activity.

Wow, I own both brands. I agree that Omega is definately better but has less notariaty than Rolex. Rolex is known and worshipped throughout the world. They have a much better marketing division.
In conclusion, they are both great watches and you can't go wrong with either.
Peace