The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 April 2024, 07:06 PM   #1
sebthedon
"TRF" Member

5172g vs 5230p

Hey everyone, I could really use your advice. Currently, I have a 5711 White Dial and a 5168G in Olive in my collection. Now, I'm looking to add a classic piece, but I'm torn between two options: the 5172G with a Blue dial or the 5230P. I'd appreciate any insights or thoughts you could share on this dilemma. Thanks a lot!
sebthedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 12:43 AM   #2
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Nice options :)

I like both and it would come down to the complication+kind of use (daily/comfort, auto/manual winding).

The manual chronograph caliber is something else in terms of movement (complexity, setting, finishing...). But one has to appreciate this aspect enough for it's worth it.

The WT is a charming/useful one (if the zones are accurate enough for you). The 5230P is a superb version of the WT including the 5110s and 5130s. It's smaller, casual enough, versatile in terms of clothing you can pair it with.

The 5172G is bigger (depending on your wrist), casual and with a stunning case.

Very hard to decide. The 5230P would maybe look more "exceptional" (Platinum, only 1 or 2 year production if I recall well?), depending on how much you value the manual chrono movement. A Patek chronograph is something special.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 01:07 AM   #3
Vipes
"TRF" Member

5230p is my choice. To me much more special being platinum and having the guilloche dial.

5712 is nice but a little too big and I prefer the 5170 series.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote