The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 October 2019, 05:48 PM   #151
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
First off the Blue Deepsea didn't even exist then, but don't let that fact get in the way of a perfect immature baseless ramble. How could he wear something that didn't even exist.
I wonder about some here, it's like they come into a thread to specifically say the most vulgar insult about a watch. God forbid some of you guys go into the other sub forums.
It's okay to not like something but then there's a way to say it with tact. Plenty of watches I don't like, no reason to go around spewing things out about it and only say something nice about those who have the exact watch I own.
Umm. Like I said. The blue didn’t even exist then, hence, the nonsense story being sold. If you like the blue one, then enjoy. But the lore and story belongs to the black dial.
Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 05:55 PM   #152
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Black for me. Classic.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 06:24 PM   #153
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
Umm. Like I said. The blue didn’t even exist then, hence, the nonsense story being sold. If you like the blue one, then enjoy. But the lore and story belongs to the black dial.
Lol whut!
Just responding to a post over a year old for which if you bother to read a few posts down for which I did since I had no idea what the context of this conversation even was over a year later.....
Bottom line, the black dial was worn because it was the only option and a great choice.
The blue exist to commentate JC’s remarkable accomplishment. Period.
Get the one you like, I’ve had both colors, the blue is still with me, way too many other black dial watches to enjoy while none if any have such a beautiful gradient dial although now many try to copy it.
Or get both, perfectly normal in the Rolex world.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 08:59 PM   #154
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
I can't follow your reference to a nonsense story being sold

However, I believe Rashid has been very clear in puting things into proper context
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 09:10 PM   #155
Pete17
"TRF" Member

The black dial all the way for me.
The two tone dial is not my cuppa tea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20 October 2019, 07:35 AM   #156
gsteve
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gprotein View Post
Until you see them in person and be in awe by the beautiful dials in both models ...then you understand the hype.
i havent seen one in person yet , looking forward to it.
gsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 09:51 AM   #157
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteve View Post
i havent seen one in person yet , looking forward to it.
It's pretty special when viewed in person.

I was sceptical in the very begining and even subscribing to the disparaging name calling when it was first released.
Of course the official pics were typically for illustrative purposes and not truly representative.

I always keep the door open though and asked to see one in the flesh when it came in.
As soon as I clapped eyes on it, I just had to have it
Old 20 October 2019, 10:27 AM   #158
nick800
"TRF" Member

I was in the lounge going from ORD to LHR recently, and saw 3! They were very impressive.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 01:35 PM   #159
Pupfather75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Milgauss
Love it. Wanna trade for a 16800 transition sub? 🤗
Pupfather75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 02:08 PM   #160
RobsterCraw
Banned

I would also discuss a trade for a DSSD for my 1 month old SD43 to anyone interested
RobsterCraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 07:31 PM   #161
duc888
"TRF" Member

Always black for me.
Right from the first moment when the AD had shown me the two tone dial I disliked it.
That blue turning into black in combination with green letters....not for me.
duc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 11:03 PM   #162
JUSTIFIED
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Daytona
Have the JC version. I don't know that Rolex officially associated it with him. Believe that, just like Batman and whatnot, the Rolex community did so. As others have said it commemorates the dive, which was special. He is a Hollywood guy, but that dive wasn't a fabricated Hollywood scene and most on here wouldn't have the cajones to do the same (watch the vid and then let us know)....I know I don't. It's 36K feet below the surface. For perspective Mt. Everest is 29k feet.

As far as blue vs. black. It's a matter of personal preference, but one terrific thing about the blue is that it often looks black (or navy blue), but when light hits just right and the blue snaps to life. So.... you sort of get best of both worlds.
Old 21 October 2019, 08:13 AM   #163
gsteve
Banned

As far as blue vs. black. It's a matter of personal preference, but one terrific thing about the blue is that it often looks black (or navy blue), but when light hits just right and the blue snaps to life. So.... you sort of get best of both worlds.[/QUOTE]

thats what i keep hearing , i like the idea that it looks black most of the time. I also hear the green doesnt really pop. Both good things. Ill have to see one.....
gsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 11:51 PM   #164
healer
"TRF" Member

If anyone is interested in a ss deepsea black.It’s available today at Rolex Las Vegas beside aria. I was there last night before they close.
healer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 12:01 AM   #165
djgallo
Banned

I like both dials. If I could only get one I would get the JC.
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 12:03 AM   #166
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
My favourite wearer ,in a large collection ...my 2011 vintage black DSSD .Just love this watch .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 12:46 AM   #167
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I keep repeating it, but the black dial DSSD is the most underrated and under appreciated watch in the Rolex line. In a sea of 40mm sport watches with only minors differences, the DSSD is an absolute standout gem! Unique case size, domed sapphire, greatest depth rating of any Rolex, largest crown, titanium caseback, just to name a few. The black is the classic, and is an absolute sleeper. Grab one and leave the overpriced GMT ‘s to the “speculators”.
Old 22 October 2019, 02:00 AM   #168
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43
Its a big boys watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
moneymike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 06:19 AM   #169
Sgtmax
"TRF" Member

Watch: DEEPSEA
Dblue

Either one is awesome. My AD just happened to have a blue dial in the safe that day and, after seeing it, I wasn’t leaving without it.
Sgtmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 07:56 AM   #170
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
I keep repeating it, but the black dial DSSD is the most underrated and under appreciated watch in the Rolex line. In a sea of 40mm sport watches with only minors differences, the DSSD is an absolute standout gem! Unique case size, domed sapphire, greatest depth rating of any Rolex, largest crown, titanium caseback, just to name a few. The black is the classic, and is an absolute sleeper. Grab one and leave the overpriced GMT ‘s to the “speculators”.
I tend to agree.
Old 23 October 2019, 01:40 AM   #171
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymike83 View Post
Its a big boys watch!

I think this illustrates the perfection of the submariner!
LandWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 01:56 AM   #172
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Its a big boys watch!

You're right but unfortunately you do not have a big boy's wrist but wear what you love.

The black dial isn't popular because the deepsea was never popular. The D-Blue dial made it desirable and even then many people simply bought it as a speculator's piece.

The D-Blue dial is one of the best in the entire industry. I really don't understand why someone would get the black version of this watch when you can get an SD43. The fact that you can actually see this watch at ADs, in this SS craze, shows that others agree.

The SD43 is capable of going down to the deepest depths humans can survive in and then some, so it's already over-engineered. It is a big watch but it is well-proportioned and can be worn as a daily by a variety of wrist sizes. If your purpose of wearing a watch is to make a statement and be showy, it has a cyclops which attracts attention as a Rolex.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 03:03 AM   #173
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Because there is a James Cameron buyers and clutter usually gravitate to what seems more unique in these cases.
Also with a better proportion SD43 out there, not a lot of people I have a reason to buy the bulky black DSSD.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 03:03 AM   #174
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
You're right but unfortunately you do not have a big boy's wrist but wear what you love.

The black dial isn't popular because the deepsea was never popular. The D-Blue dial made it desirable and even then many people simply bought it as a speculator's piece.

The D-Blue dial is one of the best in the entire industry. I really don't understand why someone would get the black version of this watch when you can get an SD43. The fact that you can actually see this watch at ADs, in this SS craze, shows that others agree.

The SD43 is capable of going down to the deepest depths humans can survive in and then some, so it's already over-engineered. It is a big watch but it is well-proportioned and can be worn as a daily by a variety of wrist sizes. If your purpose of wearing a watch is to make a statement and be showy, it has a cyclops which attracts attention as a Rolex.
Very factual...NOT!
Old 23 October 2019, 03:41 AM   #175
moneymike83
Banned

Quote:

I bough the deep sea because it’s a very interesting piece and will be passing it down to my kids. As far as James Cameron deep sea, I don’t even think he wears his own watch. James Cameron rocks the black sub.

Old 23 October 2019, 03:48 AM   #176
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
I bough the deep sea because it’s a very interesting piece and will be passing it down to my kids. As far as James Cameron deep sea, I don’t even think he wears his own watch. James Cameron rocks the black sub.

He gave away that Sub to a tribal leader in Africa. I don’t know what he wears these days but I have seen him sporting the JC Deepsea.

007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 04:13 AM   #177
moneymike83
Banned

Quote:
He gave away that Sub to a tribal leader in Africa. I don’t know what he wears these days but I have seen him sporting the JC Deepsea.

Very interesting! I never seen him wearing the Jc Deepsea. The Rolex website he was wearing the black sub.

Old 23 October 2019, 04:51 AM   #178
33JS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 50th Ann
Black face has to be the SD4K or SD43, but the massive blue graduated JC 'pops'!

Here's mine...
33JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 05:26 AM   #179
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Old 23 October 2019, 05:57 AM   #180
scubadds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
Have the JC version. I don't know that Rolex officially associated it with him. Believe that, just like Batman and whatnot, the Rolex community did so. As others have said it commemorates the dive, which was special. He is a Hollywood guy, but that dive wasn't a fabricated Hollywood scene and most on here wouldn't have the cajones to do the same (watch the vid and then let us know)....I know I don't. It's 36K feet below the surface. For perspective Mt. Everest is 29k feet.

As far as blue vs. black. It's a matter of personal preference, but one terrific thing about the blue is that it often looks black (or navy blue), but when light hits just right and the blue snaps to life. So.... you sort of get best of both worlds.
https://www.rolex.com/every-rolex-te...lex-watch.html
https://thewatchlounge.com/rolex-dee...james-cameron/

Seems pretty closely related to me...
scubadds is offline   Reply With Quote