The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2020, 11:41 PM   #1
GADGET-MAN
2024 Pledge Member

Icon5 Why are these Daytona's not popular?

Curious why TRF members think the Daytona 2-tone watches are not popular? Obviously from pricing something is up.

Posted image example I grabbed off internet.

Thank you

M
Attached Images
File Type: png 2tone-daytona.png (254.3 KB, 4564 views)
GADGET-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 11:56 PM   #2
1665fan
"TRF" Member

People want the hard to get SS version....not the version that sells under retail..
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 11:56 PM   #3
zengineer
"TRF" Member

People like them less. Fewer like them. It's not complicated.

Sent from my Motorola Bag Phone
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:00 AM   #4
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
The only two-tone that had ever slightly appealed to me is the CHNR. Otherwise all SS or PM but not both together. I suspect that's why the demand is lower.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:00 AM   #5
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Personally, I don't like two tone watches.
Roger Lococco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:03 AM   #6
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Love the TT Daytona! That exact one would be the one I get or the slate dial. I don’t care about what other people think of the watch, it’s meant to impress me and no one else
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:03 AM   #7
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

It's the TT dilemma. Personally I like TT Rolex watches but most people don't. I think this reference is a great value, one of the most underrated references for sure.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:09 AM   #8
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Too loud for some, too quiet for others.

Beautiful machine! IMO
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:09 AM   #9
mml4
"TRF" Member

The anti TT Mafia at work!
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:32 AM   #10
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
My first aspirational Rolex was the TT Blue Submariner 16613/116613LB.

I have a TT Daytona and I love it.

I got it new with a discount, it has Gold which is a metal that is a store of wealth for thousands of years; a commodity which has been climbing in value, it has the same movement as the SS version and best of all it is against the herd mentality.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:33 AM   #11
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Caught in No Man's Land. Always was, is and shall forever be. Think the Daytona TT would look great on a brown leather strap.
Old 11 April 2020, 12:35 AM   #12
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I had the zenith Daytona version, white dial two tone. I could not get the ss version back then (circa 1999). For me I was just never a gold person number 1-to flashy for me. Secondly, I believe sport watches should be all about function and SS is better and more functional. Gold and PM looks good on dress watches, but there is no functional utility other than an added bling factor (which I don’t prefer).
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:36 AM   #13
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
They are nice, I'm just not a two-tone lover.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:37 AM   #14
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Hi OP, tendencies and fashion changes. When I bought my TT Daytona new in the mid 90s the TT variant and the YG variant were all the rage. The extravagant naughties are well documented and flashy gold was in its hay day. Since then, things have changed, stealth wealth and less extravagance has ruled since the 2000s until the present day. Also, watch brands adapted to this new reality by restricting the production of the “cheaper” SS variants which, when combined with consumer trends, made ss more desirable but, there were less of them. Back in the 90s and even more so in the 80s (4 digit daytona), Rolex couldn’t shift SS variants (Causing lower production) which, conversely, has made their lack of availability in the used market generate a higher price. On the flip side, tons of TTs were sold when they were popular, so the secondary market has a glut of these 90s pieces = common/less desirable. The secondary market affects the new market, meaning that TTs are easy to obtain which when then compounded with the change in consumer buying habits (wanting less flashy items in general), makes the TT undesirable on forums where hardened aficionados like us glean most of our opinions and consensus.

Previous posters allude to a scenario where SS were always (4 and 5 digit) really tough to obtain and thus always sought after. This synopsis is a fictional supposition where those not old enough to remember provide views of the past based upon what they see today. I was a real buyer in the 90s and I really bought a zenith Daytona. I really went to multiple ADs in Spain, US, France and UK and I really saw SS sitting there and I could have bought 10 or more of them on a heartbeat with zero issues. I bought the TT because that was what people wanted and, I would have probably bought the all YG had I not been in my 20s at the time and I didn’t have the money. I would not (back then) have bought the SS. Hindsight is a beautiful thing eh? But, how could anyone have known that 20 or 30 years later YG would be deemed too flashy?

Anyhow, here are my two Daytona’s. A TT zenith bought new when they were hip and, the latest sought after piece due to today’s consumer preferences

♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:43 AM   #15
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
It’s a love hate relationship for me. I’ve had a couple but they never seem to last. The only one left in the collection belongs to me wife.
TRF #139960
RichM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:45 AM   #16
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Some people just don't like TT watches. Doesn't matter if its the Daytona, Sub, YM or DJ. So for those who likes TT, it presents a great buying opportunity on the second hand market. I personally bought a TT sub last year. I would look to acquire a TT GMT in the near future.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:59 AM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GADGET-MAN View Post
Curious why TRF members think the Daytona 2-tone watches are not popular? Obviously from pricing something is up.

Thank you

M
Mainly because the SS has always been hard to get at retail even when first launched way back in 2000.Then the so called celebs started wearing them, then the Rolex internet hype started making the SS version the greatest thing since slice bread.And today many wear the hype rather than the watch,IMHO although not a fan of the modern Daytona the TT has more dial options and again IMHO a better looking watch than the SS.But today fashion and hype is what many wear today instead of the watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 01:02 AM   #18
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Nothing wrong with TT.

omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 01:03 AM   #19
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Mainly because the SS has always been hard to get at retail even when first launched way back in 2000.Then the so called celebs started wearing them, then the Rolex internet hype started making the SS version the greatest thing since slice bread.And today many wear the hype rather than the watch,IMHO although not a fan of the modern Daytona the TT has more dial options and again IMHO a better looking watch than the SS.But today fashion and hype is what many wear today instead of the watch.
Hi Padi, such an informed veteran mine of accurate information as yourself wouldn’t usually write “ Mainly because the SS has always been hard to get even when first launched way back in 2000“

First launched back in 2000?
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 01:03 AM   #20
spersky
"TRF" Member

I absolutely love the TT watches.
spersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 01:06 AM   #21
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I think those are beautiful watches and awesome value. I believe they can even be had for a little less than msrp (possibly way under msrp in the future). Two tone watches just haven’t been historically popular on the forums
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 01:06 AM   #22
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Hi OP, tendencies and fashion changes. When I bought my TT Daytona new in the mid 90s the TT variant and the YG variant were all the rage. The extravagant naughties are well documented and flashy gold was in its hay day. Since then, things have changed, stealth wealth and less extravagance has ruled since the 2000s until the present day. Also, watch brands adapted to this new reality by restricting the production of the “cheaper” SS variants which, when combined with consumer trends, made ss more desirable but, there were less of them. Back in the 90s and even more so in the 80s (4 digit daytona), Rolex couldn’t shift SS variants (Causing lower production) which, conversely, has made their lack of availability in the used market generate a higher price. On the flip side, tons of TTs were sold when they were popular, so the secondary market has a glut of these 90s pieces = common/less desirable. The secondary market affects the new market, meaning that TTs are easy to obtain which when then compounded with the change in consumer buying habits (wanting less flashy items in general), makes the TT undesirable on forums where hardened aficionados like us glean most of our opinions and consensus.

Previous posters allude to a scenario where SS were always (4 and 5 digit) really tough to obtain and thus always sought after. This synopsis is a fictional supposition where those not old enough to remember provide views of the past based upon what they see today. I was a real buyer in the 90s and I really bought a zenith Daytona. I really went to multiple ADs in Spain, US, France and UK and I really saw SS sitting there and I could have bought 10 or more of them on a heartbeat with zero issues. I bought the TT because that was what people wanted and, I would have probably bought the all YG had I not been in my 20s at the time and I didn’t have the money. I would not (back then) have bought the SS. Hindsight is a beautiful thing eh? But, how could anyone have known that 20 or 30 years later YG would be deemed too flashy?

Anyhow, here are my two Daytona’s. A TT zenith bought new when they were hip and, the latest sought after piece due to today’s consumer preferences

This is about the most accurate post on the TT issue.

Ironically, of all my Rolex watches (BLNR, hulk and TT GMT black and YG), the hands down stunner that everyone loves is the TT GMT. This includes all generations from my mom and her friends to my associate in his mid forties to my young secretary who follows all the latest trends.

To me, the TT GMT is gorgeous and just the right amount of bling. Love it.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 01:10 AM   #23
Matt_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
If this came out with a ceramic bezel I suspect it would be a different story I.e the CHNR

I know I’d buy a ceramic version but the current one isn’t for me
Matt_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 01:11 AM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Hi Padi, such an informed veteran mine of accurate information as yourself wouldn’t usually write “ Mainly because the SS has always been hard to get even when first launched way back in 2000“

First launched back in 2000?
Perhaps I should have said with the in-house made cal 4130 movement, the very first chronograph made by Rolex first launched way back in 2000 and remained just cosmetically changed over the years to present time.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 01:13 AM   #25
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi OP, tendencies and fashion changes. When I bought my TT Daytona new in the mid 90s the TT variant and the YG variant were all the rage. The extravagant naughties are well documented and flashy gold was in its hay day. Since then, things have changed, stealth wealth and less extravagance has ruled since the 2000s......../
Finally. Someone has submitted a proper and dare I say, very comprehensive response to an OP's question without making some sarcastic or patronising statement. Thank you Sir!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 01:13 AM   #26
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Perhaps I should have said with the in-house made cal 4130 movement, the very first chronograph made by Rolex.
Are you not happy with this 4130 movement and if so why?
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 01:34 AM   #27
JK911
Banned

Watch: 116500LN Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GADGET-MAN View Post

Thank you

M
I don’t understand it either. It’s also the trophy watch for the winners at the 24hrs at Daytona.
JK911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 01:35 AM   #28
JK911
Banned

Watch: 116500LN Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 59 View Post
Finally. Someone has submitted a proper and dare I say, very comprehensive response to an OP's question without making some sarcastic or patronising statement. Thank you Sir!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Very rare on this forum I’ve come to realize
JK911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 01:36 AM   #29
drrd
"TRF" Member

Of course it makes no sense that real-world the TT costs less than steel.

Daytona is small, fussy-looking, effeminate and quite dated in appearance.

Two tone exacerbates all the above.

There's just no accounting for taste (mine included).
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 01:45 AM   #30
MOVSOONER
"TRF" Member

TT are great, back and a good buy imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
MOVSOONER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opinions , survey