The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 June 2020, 01:10 AM   #1
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

42mm Apple Watch Fit Revelation to Rolex?

Hi all- during the Covid-19 lockdown, I decided to give the $229 Apple Watch Series 3 a try just for the hell of it- I’d been curious for awhile and thought it would be a good excuse to keep my butt moving during the lockdown. My daily driver for the last year or so has been a six-digit Sub C, which I love for the most part, but occasionally find cumbersome for desk diving duties.

What I ended up realizing is that I really like the smaller/lighter size of the 42mm Apple Watch, which wears nothing like a “traditional” 42mm watch, and am curious if anyone can offer a fit comparison to the DJ36 (126234) or the 36mm Explorer (114270). In other words, if I like the fit of the 42mm Apple Watch, will the 36mm Rolex pieces wear similarly?

The 42mm Apple Watch case measures 36.4mm wide x 42.5mm tall, which is the effective lug-to-lug measurement, if not somewhat shorter. So far as I can tell, both the Explorer and DJ36 should fit similarly, but I’m somewhat skeptical Given my wide/flat 7.25” wrist (I fear they will wear too small). Thanks in advance for any input!
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2020, 01:32 AM   #2
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
My wrist is larger than yours at just a hair above 7.5" and I have no issue pulling off a 36mm Day Date. However I do prefer my Day Date 40's. If budget allows I would look at the Day Date as opposed to the DJ36.
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2020, 01:39 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
No. Wearing an actual wristwatch on your wrist is not going to compare with strapping a small computer screen in the same place.
Old 4 June 2020, 01:53 AM   #4
sakomo28
"TRF" Member

As it happens, I have both the Apple Watch Series 3 and DJ36 (126200), and I find that the Apple Watch wears much larger. It's about 5mm longer lug-to-lug than the DJ36. I have a just-under-7" wrist and find the DJ36 perfectly sized for me (if not a bit small-looking after the Apple Watch and my former daily driver Seiko 42MM Prospex diver). The DJ36 is noticeably heavier, as it should be. The thing I noticed most about the Apple watch is that it was really thick and kept getting caught on my shirt cuff. It tended to feel bulky, and as a result (and from the looks of it) it got banged around a fair amount.

You might try on a DJ41 just for the thrill and see how it feels, but the 36 is my pick for sure!

More than anything, though, I found that the connectivity of the Apple Watch (and any smart watch, for that matter) just seemed to add unnecessary stress and anxiety to my day. It's a constant distraction of information, and after I stopped wearing it and opted for a simple mechanical watch again, I felt somehow ... relieved. #digitalcleanse
sakomo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2020, 03:35 AM   #5
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakomo28 View Post
As it happens, I have both the Apple Watch Series 3 and DJ36 (126200), and I find that the Apple Watch wears much larger. It's about 5mm longer lug-to-lug than the DJ36. I have a just-under-7" wrist and find the DJ36 perfectly sized for me (if not a bit small-looking after the Apple Watch and my former daily driver Seiko 42MM Prospex diver). The DJ36 is noticeably heavier, as it should be. The thing I noticed most about the Apple watch is that it was really thick and kept getting caught on my shirt cuff. It tended to feel bulky, and as a result (and from the looks of it) it got banged around a fair amount.

You might try on a DJ41 just for the thrill and see how it feels, but the 36 is my pick for sure!

More than anything, though, I found that the connectivity of the Apple Watch (and any smart watch, for that matter) just seemed to add unnecessary stress and anxiety to my day. It's a constant distraction of information, and after I stopped wearing it and opted for a simple mechanical watch again, I felt somehow ... relieved. #digitalcleanse
Thanks so much for this! Exactly the feedback I was hoping for.

Out of curiosity, what dial color did you choose for the 126200?
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2020, 08:56 AM   #6
sakomo28
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
Thanks so much for this! Exactly the feedback I was hoping for.

Out of curiosity, what dial color did you choose for the 126200?
Blue with smooth bezel. It's a beauty, too.
sakomo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2020, 09:26 AM   #7
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Agree. Tired of flicking my wrist to see the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakomo28 View Post

Rather wear my Sub, a real watch on a strap or a casual Seiko or Casio.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote