The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 June 2020, 07:17 PM   #1
robertengel
"TRF" Member

321 Ed White imminent?

I just spoke to the AD and they said they will be receiving the first watches very soon (311.30.40.30.01.001). They said next week possibly. I am curious if anyone else has had this information, it seems a bit premature as the website states July.

I know there was a lot of debate over the piece I for one have been looking at speedmasters for a while now. I really liked the original speedy Tuesday in pictures but it did not sing to me in person, I have been apprehensive about the regular speedmaster professional some days I liked it other days I did not. When I saw this being introduced on Hodinkee I was literally outside the AD walking buy and ran in.

The week the watch was introduced I was thinking about the perfect speedmaster and thought it should be a little smaller with a ceramic bezel, better bracelet and a 321 movement for shits and giggles. And they happened to introduce just that. If I could change anything it would be to lower the price and make the markers white. Curious to see if it arrives!
robertengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 11:56 PM   #2
robertengel
"TRF" Member

Addition: AD reached out to tell me they quoted the arrival time wrong and its beginning of July.
Old 3 June 2020, 12:00 AM   #3
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Maybe. My AD was confirming orders in May. But they didn’t know delivery window, but did know Omega sales rep pressing hard to confirm all orders and allocation.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 03:58 AM   #4
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertengel View Post
I just spoke to the AD and they said they will be receiving the first watches very soon (311.30.40.30.01.001). They said next week possibly. I am curious if anyone else has had this information, it seems a bit premature as the website states July.

I know there was a lot of debate over the piece I for one have been looking at speedmasters for a while now. I really liked the original speedy Tuesday in pictures but it did not sing to me in person, I have been apprehensive about the regular speedmaster professional some days I liked it other days I did not. When I saw this being introduced on Hodinkee I was literally outside the AD walking buy and ran in.

The week the watch was introduced I was thinking about the perfect speedmaster and thought it should be a little smaller with a ceramic bezel, better bracelet and a 321 movement for shits and giggles. And they happened to introduce just that. If I could change anything it would be to lower the price and make the markers white. Curious to see if it arrives!

I visited my AD last weekend where he told me they had an Omega shipment currently clearing customs. They had no idea what was in the shipment, but we're hoping my new Ed White is included?

How can an AD not know what inventory is being shipped?
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 05:08 AM   #5
robertengel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Maybe. My AD was confirming orders in May. But they didn’t know delivery window, but did know Omega sales rep pressing hard to confirm all orders and allocation.
I am guessing that they are nervous that it launches well given the current circumstances...
Old 3 June 2020, 05:11 AM   #6
robertengel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
I visited my AD last weekend where he told me they had an Omega shipment currently clearing customs. They had no idea what was in the shipment, but we're hoping my new Ed White is included?

How can an AD not know what inventory is being shipped?
I can never decide if they are taking the piss when they say they don't know what's arriving or they genuinely don't know. With another AD he usually had some kind of forecast saying they will get one of watch x before May or something like that...but then other times they say they don't know when the next one is coming. Maybe it's them holding out maybe its changes in the way inventory is distributed.
Old 3 June 2020, 06:12 AM   #7
Trog
Banned

Quote:
I can never decide if they are taking the piss when they say they don't know what's arriving or they genuinely don't know. With another AD he usually had some kind of forecast saying they will get one of watch x before May or something like that...but then other times they say they don't know when the next one is coming. Maybe it's them holding out maybe its changes in the way inventory is distributed.
I believe the automobile industry works the same way...Dealerships place an order, then it's a crap-shoot what head-office puts on the transporter.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 08:01 AM   #8
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
I can't wait to see actual photos of it. It's the first time I have been this excited for a release that I am probably never going to buy!
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 08:15 AM   #9
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Good news. Looki)g to see some live pics. Same as OP this piece touched all the bases.
Old 3 June 2020, 02:46 PM   #10
robertengel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Good news. Looki)g to see some live pics. Same as OP this piece touched all the bases.
The media will probably get reviews in before I get my hands on it. But I'll gladly supply them. Oddly enough they didn't talk about the box and accessories yet. With the anniversary editions it was a bit fuss about the boxes. Also we have not yet seen the clasp in any marketing materials.
Old 3 June 2020, 03:36 PM   #11
amanbra
"TRF" Member

I hope it's soon, i put a deposit down last year and I hope to see one soon...
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 09:05 AM   #12
Wrist party
"TRF" Member

My SA here in Toronto called me a few days ago, telling me that there is going to be a shipment arriving next week and there will be quite a few “special pieces” along with it. It is inconclusive that whether my Ed White will be included but my expectation is high nevertheless.
151 days since I paid the deposit for this 321 at 7th January, and counting......
For sure this piece will be extra meaningful considering the fact that this is a different world now compared to what it was back in 7th January 2020
Wrist party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 09:24 AM   #13
Wrist party
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The media will probably get reviews in before I get my hands on it. But I'll gladly supply them. Oddly enough they didn't talk about the box and accessories yet. With the anniversary editions it was a bit fuss about the boxes. Also we have not yet seen the clasp in any marketing materials.

It seems like OMEGA has been keeping the additional infos on this piece, more strictly than ever. They’ve never failed the fans on their product packages and accessories before and I don’t think they will be breaking that tradition this time, especially considering the STEEP price that they are asking for on this 321 LMFAO

My wildest speculation on the package is that they will be including a extra solid case back and Acrylic glass for the most die hard purists in order to shut them up.
Now If that is the case.....
Old 8 June 2020, 12:19 AM   #14
robertengel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrist party View Post
It seems like OMEGA has been keeping the additional infos on this piece, more strictly than ever. They’ve never failed the fans on their product packages and accessories before and I don’t think they will be breaking that tradition this time, especially considering the STEEP price that they are asking for on this 321 LMFAO

My wildest speculation on the package is that they will be including a extra solid case back and Acrylic glass for the most die hard purists in order to shut them up.
You mean an acrylic crystal for the dial side? Hmmm interesting, but who knows if they will go that far. I hope its not something gimmicky like the moon lander model on the anniversary last year.
Old 8 June 2020, 12:48 AM   #15
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
I believe the automobile industry works the same way...Dealerships place an order, then it's a crap-shoot what head-office puts on the transporter.
Yes, on your side of the pond...

If you buy a new car in Germany the process tends to be quite different. You put in your order w the specs, color, and options you want, you'll get a time frame for when the car will be produced accordingly, and after what is typically a few months you can pick up your new vehicle at the factory or at your dealer.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 02:59 AM   #16
Wrist party
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You mean an acrylic crystal for the dial side? Hmmm interesting, but who knows if they will go that far. I hope its not something gimmicky like the moon lander model on the anniversary last year.

Honestly the 6969’s design cue is kinda predictable as I was talking to my friends last year, it’ll definitely be involving the footprint and the “butt shot” just didn’t think they were gonna be presenting the lunar module in such fashion, overall admittedly gimmicky but very impressive as well. I actually skipped the Apollo 8 DSotM and this 6969 for this Ed White so I simply overlooked the USD 14k price tag and placed my order on 7th January, if this watch turns out isn’t as good as I anticipated, I’m never gonna buy another omega ever again.
Old 8 June 2020, 03:27 AM   #17
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Including a plexiglass option would be very meaningful as a bit of good will to their customers

rather than what I am anticipating... in a years time they will release the watch with plexi and offer 2 distinct models?

I like your idea much better.
Old 8 June 2020, 03:36 AM   #18
Wrist party
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Including a plexiglass option would be very meaningful as a bit of good will to their customers

rather than what I am anticipating... in a years time they will release the watch with plexi and offer 2 distinct models?

I like your idea much better.

It seems like your “releasing other watches” idea is far more realistic, mine was just a wild guess after all and I myself don’t even believe it

Just for the sake of a fun conversation, what are you anticipating?
Old 8 June 2020, 04:02 AM   #19
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It seems like your “releasing other watches” idea is far more realistic, mine was just a wild guess after all and I myself don’t even believe it

Just for the sake of a fun conversation, what are you anticipating?
Not very imaginative but expecting a fancy box with a strap alternative and some reference to Ed white in the kit, Maybe a strap tool and a loop?

Of course All the above is just fluff... a choice between hesalite and sapphire would really be nice
Old 8 June 2020, 04:56 AM   #20
robertengel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not very imaginative but expecting a fancy box with a strap alternative and some reference to Ed white in the kit, Maybe a strap tool and a loop?

Of course All the above is just fluff... a choice between hesalite and sapphire would really be nice
As much as I understand the historical significance of the hesalite, I do think that at this price point it would feel...like even more of a cash grab? Assuming its a either-or purchase of course not a both included one.
Old 8 June 2020, 05:19 AM   #21
Wrist party
"TRF" Member

321 Ed White imminent?

Quote:

Yea I know, I got that idea from early version of PAM 372 actually, they have the replacement of the hesalite glass included in the box while the one on the actual watch is sapphire, still think that’s pretty cool til today.

The main complaint I’ve read about the new Ed White is the price, the faux patina and the sapphire front and back. Hardly anyone is bitching about the cal.321, which is the core idea of this watch IMHO.

Now I don’t care about the patina at all, I myself even have a DSotM vintage black, I just love the warmth of the lume far better than the conventional greenish white, if there are some mind-blowingly genesis chemists who can develop a type of lume material that can shrink the time period of the fading color from decades to the matter of 3-5 years or even months, that would be FUCKING awesome!!!

Second the price, I didn’t care that much. The Cal.321 is like the nuclear option in Omega’s game plan in the David vs. Goliath story (Rolex of course....lol) and probably the only place where Omega dominates over Rolex —— historic symbolism. So I was prepared for the SS version to carry a price tag for over 10k since day one they announced that they are bringing back the Cal.321.

Thirdly is this hesalite vs sapphire debate which I think is the ONLY thing that’s worth talking about, the 2 above are just nonsense and keyboard fighters can always find shit to bitch about. I do not consider myself a die hard purists but since this watch is all about storytelling of the scientific progress, I believe we should tell the full version of that story so a solid case back and hesalite glass are very important. However, it is just a CRIME to hide that beautiful caliber underneath a solid case back, hence the idea of including the extra parts in the box so that we can make a choice by ourselves which I’m sure it will be highly appreciated.

Overall, I can’t wait to see mine, sooner rather than later of course.

Chill
Old 8 June 2020, 06:01 AM   #22
Wrist party
"TRF" Member

321 Ed White imminent?

Quote:
As much as I understand the historical significance of the hesalite, I do think that at this price point it would feel...like even more of a cash grab? Assuming its a either-or purchase of course not a both included one.

I think you are missing the big picture here. This Ed White is the halo product for the brand and it will never be as profitable as the $4500 seamaster 300 given the nature of its production volume. The “cal.321” project is determined to lift up the brand image and make it more “visible” in the war against Rolex although Rolex might not sees it this way

Think about the R8 in Audi’s product lineup or Bugatti in VW, then you’ll see what I saw. They don’t make the R8 to grab their clients’ cash even though the 150k super car territory was way out of Audi’s league but it did became the HALO product for Audi didn’t it? Hell at 2.5 million dollar price tag the Chrion still is not making any money for VW at all cuz they cost the company over 5 million to manufacture that car, and they are still doing it nevertheless! That’s very extreme example but at least the R8 reference is accurate in this Ed White debate.

So yes the Ed White is expensive and probably out of the Speedy’s comfort zone, but it is for sure not the “greedmaster” or “cash grab” like some others said, they have no idea how to run a company or a brand and probably look for “good deals” on preown speedy pro cuz “that’s how much a speedy is worth” , but deep down u and I both know the truth behind that logic, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it at all, not that I agree with but it’s totally understandable.

At the end of the day, just follow your heart and buy whatever the fuck you like, don’t listen to those “key opinions leaders” or “YouTubers”, especially when it comes to watches. They don’t know shit at all and keep talking about garbage, except for a handful of a few of course. If you are ever confused, just go buy a Rolex, can’t go wrong with that despite being a little too boring these day but hey, it’s your money.
Old 8 June 2020, 07:05 AM   #23
subtona
"TRF" Member

Regarding the hesalite vs Saphire,
Imho Side by side the hesalite simply looks better.
Of course the fact that it scratches can be a bummer so we have the saphire alternative solution.

the 321 movement is legend (I am happy it will be visible) , Combined with the much improved bracelet I believe makes it worthy of the jump in price point.

The only thing keeping the 321 speedy from being a Daytona CRUSHER is the 50m WR (vs the Daytona 100m)

A final note would be the “gold plated” parts... just make them full gold for the win... of course that would result in a handsome price increase : )
Old 8 June 2020, 07:45 AM   #24
Wrist party
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Regarding the hesalite vs Saphire,
Imho Side by side the hesalite simply looks better.
Of course the fact that it scratches can be a bummer so we have the saphire alternative solution.

the 321 movement is legend (I am happy it will be visible) , Combined with the much improved bracelet I believe makes it worthy of the jump in price point.

The only thing keeping the 321 speedy from being a Daytona CRUSHER is the 50m WR (vs the Daytona 100m)

A final note would be the “gold plated” parts... just make them full gold for the win... of course that would result in a handsome price increase : )

Haha u mean going full Journe? Yea knowing that could be done and has been done, that’s a bummer but at least they are visually identical lol, but then again, if they did go full rose gold parts, I wonder if that would deviate the spirit of cal.321, which is a worker horse that was meant to be a tool at the first place. After all the PVD rose is just for the sake of stably recreating the warmth of the copper plating on the original.
Old 8 June 2020, 05:09 PM   #25
robertengel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think you are missing the big picture here. This Ed White is the halo product for the brand and it will never be as profitable as the $4500 seamaster 300 given the nature of its production volume. The “cal.321” project is determined to lift up the brand image and make it more “visible” in the war against Rolex although Rolex might not sees it this way

Think about the R8 in Audi’s product lineup or Bugatti in VW, then you’ll see what I saw. They don’t make the R8 to grab their clients’ cash even though the 150k super car territory was way out of Audi’s league but it did became the HALO product for Audi didn’t it? Hell at 2.5 million dollar price tag the Chrion still is not making any money for VW at all cuz they cost the company over 5 million to manufacture that car, and they are still doing it nevertheless! That’s very extreme example but at least the R8 reference is accurate in this Ed White debate.

So yes the Ed White is expensive and probably out of the Speedy’s comfort zone, but it is for sure not the “greedmaster” or “cash grab” like some others said, they have no idea how to run a company or a brand and probably look for “good deals” on preown speedy pro cuz “that’s how much a speedy is worth” , but deep down u and I both know the truth behind that logic, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it at all, not that I agree with but it’s totally understandable.

At the end of the day, just follow your heart and buy whatever the fuck you like, don’t listen to those “key opinions leaders” or “YouTubers”, especially when it comes to watches. They don’t know shit at all and keep talking about garbage, except for a handful of a few of course. If you are ever confused, just go buy a Rolex, can’t go wrong with that despite being a little too boring these day but hey, it’s your money.
Not missing the picture just of a different opinion. The 321 rebuild process is portrayed as a bit more complicated from what it is, there were stories of them needing to scan in the parts when other manufacturers were still using them. And again, I walked into the boutique and reserved it the day it was announced, so I can fairly say that I did what I wanted :D.

I just think that a lot of the "limited" nature of the watch is more of a marketing move than a factor of watchmaking complication. Please consider that the watch is competing fairly closely in price with something like a skydweller. We have not yet seen this piece in person, hopefully the finishing will be up to the positioning.
Old 8 June 2020, 05:38 PM   #26
Wrist party
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not missing the picture just of a different opinion. The 321 rebuild process is portrayed as a bit more complicated from what it is, there were stories of them needing to scan in the parts when other manufacturers were still using them. And again, I walked into the boutique and reserved it the day it was announced, so I can fairly say that I did what I wanted :D.

I just think that a lot of the "limited" nature of the watch is more of a marketing move than a factor of watchmaking complication. Please consider that the watch is competing fairly closely in price with something like a skydweller. We have not yet seen this piece in person, hopefully the finishing will be up to the positioning.

Fair point. I sincerely hope that they don’t cock it up this time but their trail record for the pass few years has been pretty good so I’m not worry too much.
Old 8 June 2020, 06:44 PM   #27
robertengel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fair point. I sincerely hope that they don’t cock it up this time but their trail record for the pass few years has been pretty good so I’m not worry too much.
Me too, they seem to have been consistently doing well on the more limited editions since the first Speedy Tuesday (and yes I know of the limited editions before but the silver snoopy really started picking up steam around the same time and is now insanely expensive). But the times seem different now. A watch is an expensive toy, but I play with it more freely if I know it stores value well and that in case I ever need it I have a marketable asset :)
Old 9 June 2020, 01:58 AM   #28
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha u mean going full Journe? Yea knowing that could be done and has been done, that’s a bummer but at least they are visually identical lol, but then again, if they did go full rose gold parts, I wonder if that would deviate the spirit of cal.321, which is a worker horse that was meant to be a tool at the first place. After all the PVD rose is just for the sake of stably recreating the warmth of the copper plating on the original.
Was only thinking about those parts that have the gold plating... it wouldn’t have been on my radar except for the salesperson who touted the “gold parts” when I was placing my order... mind you I already committed to purchasing, the weak sales pitch with the misleading commentary of gold parts did more harm then good. Would have appreciated it more if the salesperson would have referenced the technical purpose of the gold plating as a stabilizer, but i digresss.

Now that you mention it, a Full gold movement would be nice

Really looking forward to seeing this in the metal.
Old 9 June 2020, 03:01 AM   #29
Wrist party
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Was only thinking about those parts that have the gold plating... it wouldn’t have been on my radar except for the salesperson who touted the “gold parts” when I was placing my order... mind you I already committed to purchasing, the weak sales pitch with the misleading commentary of gold parts did more harm then good. Would have appreciated it more if the salesperson would have referenced the technical purpose of the gold plating as a stabilizer, but i digresss.

Now that you mention it, a Full gold movement would be nice

Really looking forward to seeing this in the metal.

Haha a good gold movement for 14k is quite a bargain considering the craftsmanship that needs to be put in, it’s a STEAL but that salesperson is clearly full of crap, I’ve met those people too, the lack of professionalism in this line of work is very not cool.
Old 9 June 2020, 03:15 AM   #30
Wrist party
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Me too, they seem to have been consistently doing well on the more limited editions since the first Speedy Tuesday (and yes I know of the limited editions before but the silver snoopy really started picking up steam around the same time and is now insanely expensive). But the times seem different now. A watch is an expensive toy, but I play with it more freely if I know it stores value well and that in case I ever need it I have a marketable asset :)

A lot might disagree but I don’t think you’ll be losing too much money if you ever need to liquidate this Ed White, they were clearly trying to pick up the pace in the Daytona game but who can blame them? Being the best in the game means everyone else is trying to take down Rolex, which is a good thing for us anyways.

As one of the nicest attempts and its production volume limitation, I don’t think this Ed White will ever end up like most of the rest of special speedys, which is losing 50% and never get sold. I imagine at worst case scenario, this would be somewhat like the 57 trilogy LE, which is not bad at all IMHO, but this watch is a complete different animal and should be treated differently, I think this would be pricing somewhat like the Silver Snoopy at 25 26 on grey, no need to worry too much.