The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 June 2020, 08:41 AM   #1
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Tiffany dial 5227R - Yay or nay

Hi fellow Patek TRFers,

Over the weekend I was offered a like new 2020 Tiffany Dial 5227R - obviously a stunning watch at an ok price (about $6000 more than a normal 5227R) on the grey market. It's still about 20% lower than MSRP +tax.

What are your thoughts about the collectability/beauty of this watch? In general the watch looks awesome but does wear larger for a dress watch. I already have 2 Calatravas but the lugs and dial on this one is calling to me.The officer caseback is also a nice touch.

In general, I do like the watch, however I think the watch is "common" from a production volume standpoint and does not meet my criteria for true long-term collectability. The T stamp seems like a nice touch but it's just a stamp on an otherwise "common" watch?

It also appears that potential acquisition by Tiffany by LVMH is in jeopardy:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabelt.../#5b67d8d86319

Anyway, I was initially intrigued by the offer but am now leaning towards passing on it...

Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 09:30 AM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

You should ask yourself if you think the Tiffany stamp is worth $6000 to you. To me, it is a definite no.

The 5227R is a nice dress watch. It depends on your definition of collectability, but are you asking if this watch will appreciate in value over time? If so, the answer is probably no, although no one has a crystal ball. Are you asking if this a nice watch to own and wear for your personal enjoyment? I would say it is an excellent watch to enjoy and wear!

I have owned the 5227G since its release back in 2013 and it has a nice presence on the wrist.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 09:49 AM   #3
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
I love Tiffany stamped pieces. Especially if it’s in subdial at 6’ocklock. This watch is nice. But like others said not sure it’s worth $6K premium. Maybe buy new at msrp in hopes of getting some harder to get watches.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 10:35 AM   #4
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

6k would definitely be worth it if I bought it from Tiffany with my name on the papers but from a grey not so much. I doubt you'd recoup the 6k when selling but I'd imagine it would make it significantly easier to move later on.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 11:28 AM   #5
d11n
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes
it is a yes for me... a classic looking watch, hunter case back, invisible hinge, ivory lacquered dial... and the T stamp is a nice addition with an unclear future... who knows what will happen to the T stamp on Patek, and who knows what the Calatrava line will look like this time next year.I love the example in rose gold
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2862.jpg (194.5 KB, 624 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2868.jpg (176.5 KB, 619 views)
d11n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 11:56 AM   #6
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The real question is do you even like this watch. Will you wear it. Will you want to sell it? All the rest is really irrelevant. What a T&Co. stamp is worth is only what is it worth to you.

Dress watches are losers from a value retention standpoint in the current market. Buy what you love and wear on. Personally, I would pass on the T&Co. stamp and find one cheaper complete without the stamp.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 12:04 PM   #7
HaiovR
"TRF" Member

Not for me...
HaiovR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 01:48 PM   #8
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Not worth 6k on that one. I had the wg black dial, the minute markers light up wonderfully in the light. It is large for a dress watch. It didn’t last very long with me, and of course I got creamed
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 01:56 PM   #9
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Not worth 6k on that one. I had the wg black dial, the minute markers light up wonderfully in the light. It is large for a dress watch. It didn’t last very long with me, and of course I got creamed
Yeah that is what I am thinking (abit large for a dress watch)...

Thanks for sharing man!
Old 7 June 2020, 02:09 PM   #10
martinr
"TRF" Member

Maybe Ninja would buy it from you, the T stamp looks crooked.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 02:23 PM   #11
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Hi fellow Patek TRFers,

Over the weekend I was offered a like new 2020 Tiffany Dial 5227R - obviously a stunning watch at an ok price (about $6000 more than a normal 5227R) on the grey market. It's still about 20% lower than MSRP +tax.

What are your thoughts about the collectability/beauty of this watch? In general the watch looks awesome but does wear larger for a dress watch. I already have 2 Calatravas but the lugs and dial on this one is calling to me.The officer caseback is also a nice touch.

In general, I do like the watch, however I think the watch is "common" from a production volume standpoint and does not meet my criteria for true long-term collectability. The T stamp seems like a nice touch but it's just a stamp on an otherwise "common" watch?

It also appears that potential acquisition by Tiffany by LVMH is in jeopardy:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabelt.../#5b67d8d86319

Anyway, I was initially intrigued by the offer but am now leaning towards passing on it...

I say go for it. People are willing to pay a premium for a T stamp.
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 02:44 PM   #12
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Lovely looking piece for sure. I suspect you would recoup the 6k.
Old 7 June 2020, 03:43 PM   #13
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Maybe Ninja would buy it from you, the T stamp looks crooked.
Why was he banned
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 04:54 PM   #14
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Why would you buy this oversized (at 40mm) T Dial Calatrava, which works equally well with a suit or jeans and a T-shirt, with the superbly engineered hinged case back cover and beautiful cream dial for a 20% discount from retail when, for $150K you could buy a steel Nautilus, also with a T Dial and the same Patek movement?
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 05:27 PM   #15
ts3
"TRF" Member

Not for me, Tiffany or not. The 5227R wears too large on my smallish wrists w its large empty dial and narrow bezel. Also not into the opaline dials and the shape of the hour markers. The T stamp though adds some much needed balance given all the empty real estate on the dial.

IMO the black dial G looks much better than the R but for a simple black-dial Patek dress watch I'd prob go 5107P.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 11:58 PM   #16
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Nahhh pass Jin.
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 01:15 AM   #17
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
Oh I like it. The case and lugs give it a modern aesthetic; relative to other calatravas. I think this reference could function for everyday wear. Also, the officer’s caseback is beautifully designed. As for the T-stamp and its impact on collectibility, tough to gauge. I’d go for it.
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 09:01 AM   #18
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Big NAY. The Patek 5227R is excellent, I own it and really like it and highly recommend it. But in my opinion, Tiffany has no business being on a Patek dial, ever. It's a Patek, not a Tiffany.

If you want a Tiffany item, that's fine, they offer many true-blue Tiffany products to choose from. But Patek isn't one of them.

Of course, it's your money and your decision...buy what you will enjoy - in the end, that's the only opinion that matters. Cheers.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 09:56 AM   #19
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

It’s a tough call. I think the Tiffany stamp gives it an extra bit of elegance. I also think it’s one of those perfect watches for someone who only owns one nice watch. But if you have a killer collection like you do, Jin, then honestly I don’t see it getting enough wrist time and it will probably end up collecting dust.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 10:55 AM   #20
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Not for me. Some may see it as a unique collectible investment etc. I see it as unnecessary clutter and free advertising taking up real estate and tainting an otherwise beautiful dial.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 12:50 PM   #21
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
It’s a tough call. I think the Tiffany stamp gives it an extra bit of elegance. I also think it’s one of those perfect watches for someone who only owns one nice watch. But if you have a killer collection like you do, Jin, then honestly I don’t see it getting enough wrist time and it will probably end up collecting dust.
True statement Bill.

Thanks all - this is the feedback I needed. I am going to pass on it for now. I already have 2 calatravas.
Old 8 June 2020, 06:46 PM   #22
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Nay on all tiffany or whatever stamped dials. They don't belong.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 08:34 AM   #23
jd57
"TRF" Member

Interesting to see the comments that it "wears big". I have a big wrist and at 39mm I found it to "wear small" due to the concave bezel with a dial the size of the 38mm 5296. Almost pulled the trigger on the 5227j which to my eyes matches the dial with the metal better than the r (and especially the g, which looks greenish). But decided to wait for the "new 2020 calatrava model(s)" before making the purchase. Of course now the 2020's may be 2021's...
jd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 08:42 AM   #24
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Tiffany dial 5227R - Yay or nay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd57 View Post
Interesting to see the comments that it "wears big". I have a big wrist and at 39mm I found it to "wear small" due to the concave bezel with a dial the size of the 38mm 5296. Almost pulled the trigger on the 5227j which to my eyes matches the dial with the metal better than the r (and especially the g, which looks greenish). But decided to wait for the "new 2020 calatrava model(s)" before making the purchase. Of course now the 2020's may be 2021's...

I've found that 33-36mm dress watches with about 40mm 44mm lug to lug wear really well for me with some strap on each side of the case and really lends good symmery. The 39mm 5227R with lug to lug of around 48mm is very close to a Daytona and Submariner which does cover the whole wrist and is quite sporty (little to no space between lug and end of wrist). My wrist is 6.5 inches. Definitely wearable but does feel a big big for dress wear (this is really splitting hairs just FYI - if I just had 1 watch, the 5227R would sure as hell be a contender). Some pics for reference:

Patek 3919J - 34mm but about 40mm lug to lug

Patek 2526 - 36mm - about 42mm lug to lug

Patek 3970 - 36mm - about 43mm lug to lug

Rolex Red Submariner - 40mm - about 48mm lug to lug

Rolex Daytona - 40mm - about 48mm lug to lug

Patek 5970 - 40mm - about 47mm lug to lug (not mine but solidified my decision to go with the 3970 vs 5970)
Patek 5167- 40mm - 49mm lug to lug