The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 June 2020, 03:20 AM   #31
Wrist party
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Toronto
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertengel View Post
Me too, they seem to have been consistently doing well on the more limited editions since the first Speedy Tuesday (and yes I know of the limited editions before but the silver snoopy really started picking up steam around the same time and is now insanely expensive). But the times seem different now. A watch is an expensive toy, but I play with it more freely if I know it stores value well and that in case I ever need it I have a marketable asset :)

HOLY CRAP I just looked at the silver Snoopy on Chrono24 for fun, I saw 2 available and some NUT JOB is asking for nearly 40k US OMFG!!!! A silver Snoopy for 40k WTF?
Wrist party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 04:35 AM   #32
robertengel
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Budapest
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrist party View Post
HOLY CRAP I just looked at the silver Snoopy on Chrono24 for fun, I saw 2 available and some NUT JOB is asking for nearly 40k US OMFG!!!! A silver Snoopy for 40k WTF?
Hahahaha crazy isn't it?! I remember on the Moda watch group on facebook someone saying its going to be above 35k soon and I was like pssshhhh...but its kinda like what Roman did for certain AP models, or the Watchbox is doing for FP Journe. You can make the market for models that only have a few pieces for sale by buying them and continually selling them higher.
robertengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 04:44 AM   #33
Wrist party
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Toronto
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertengel View Post
Hahahaha crazy isn't it?! I remember on the Moda watch group on facebook someone saying its going to be above 35k soon and I was like pssshhhh...but its kinda like what Roman did for certain AP models, or the Watchbox is doing for FP Journe. You can make the market for models that only have a few pieces for sale by buying them and continually selling them higher.

Yea I noticed the watchbox is shooting up the FPJ, the solevain tourbillon last year was for 60 something, my friend bought them at watch not long ago and it was at 85k, someone is clearly manipulating the price and playing supply games for certain models. The remaining problem is would FPJ become the next hottie in the market, aside from the CB of course, which is already one
Wrist party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 04:45 AM   #34
Wrist party
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Toronto
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertengel View Post
Hahahaha crazy isn't it?! I remember on the Moda watch group on facebook someone saying its going to be above 35k soon and I was like pssshhhh...but its kinda like what Roman did for certain AP models, or the Watchbox is doing for FP Journe. You can make the market for models that only have a few pieces for sale by buying them and continually selling them higher.

But in general itís very clear that omega is trying to move up their game and escape the 4K speedy pro territory
Wrist party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 08:35 AM   #35
texasmade
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Real Name: Robert
Location: Lone Star State
Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrist party View Post
A lot might disagree but I donít think youíll be losing too much money if you ever need to liquidate this Ed White, they were clearly trying to pick up the pace in the Daytona game but who can blame them? Being the best in the game means everyone else is trying to take down Rolex, which is a good thing for us anyways.

As one of the nicest attempts and its production volume limitation, I donít think this Ed White will ever end up like most of the rest of special speedys, which is losing 50% and never get sold. I imagine at worst case scenario, this would be somewhat like the 57 trilogy LE, which is not bad at all IMHO, but this watch is a complete different animal and should be treated differently, I think this would be pricing somewhat like the Silver Snoopy at 25 26 on grey, no need to worry too much.
Isn't Omega purposely not mass producing this watch to get supply low and demand high? Everywhere I've read is you need to put up the money now to get it to make it look like none will be sitting on the shelf.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 09:51 AM   #36
Wrist party
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Toronto
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Isn't Omega purposely not mass producing this watch to get supply low and demand high? Everywhere I've read is you need to put up the money now to get it to make it look like none will be sitting on the shelf.

Welp I think this business logic works everywhere, think about the SS sports models from Rolex especially on Daytona, theyíve been playing the supply game long enough for people to accept the fact that it is a hard to get product. If they purposely mass producing the SS Daytona then the grey market price would be at discount like most of other watches and people will stop singing prayers when they get the watch because itís just a very very good chronograph watch at the end of the day.

Companies with tones of advanced manufacturing technologies like Omega and Rolex can produce as much products as they want, theoretically. They often chose not to because itís a luxury product and should remain its scarcity and be chased. Omega was not playing such game before and chose to make as many variations of watches as possible for consumersí desires, only ended up tanking their brand value and appreciated by almost no one. People think they are not as good as Rolex and will never be but ignoring the fact that their current watches are in fact just as good if not better. The problem was never just about the products, this is a mind game and they wanna close up the gap where Rolex has their advantages already. Keyboard fighters will accuse them for trying and ignore the fact that this is a long process of building a successful brand. Itís not their fault anyways cuz they are only mediocre people and do whatís been told. Visionary brands will see this unpleasant situation as a opportunity to do something about it. Theyíve been under Jean-Claude Biverís marketing play bookís influence for far too long already, itís time for a change and this Ed White is the best shot of rebooting the brand.

Can you blame them?
Wrist party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 11:33 AM   #37
subtona
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
subtona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Real Name: gus
Location: East Coast
Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Posts: 23,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrist party View Post
Welp I think this business logic works everywhere, think about the SS sports models from Rolex especially on Daytona, theyíve been playing the supply game long enough for people to accept the fact that it is a hard to get product. If they purposely mass producing the SS Daytona then the grey market price would be at discount like most of other watches and people will stop singing prayers when they get the watch because itís just a very very good chronograph watch at the end of the day.

Companies with tones of advanced manufacturing technologies like Omega and Rolex can produce as much products as they want, theoretically. They often chose not to because itís a luxury product and should remain its scarcity and be chased. Omega was not playing such game before and chose to make as many variations of watches as possible for consumersí desires, only ended up tanking their brand value and appreciated by almost no one. People think they are not as good as Rolex and will never be but ignoring the fact that their current watches are in fact just as good if not better. The problem was never just about the products, this is a mind game and they wanna close up the gap where Rolex has their advantages already. Keyboard fighters will accuse them for trying and ignore the fact that this is a long process of building a successful brand. Itís not their fault anyways cuz they are only mediocre people and do whatís been told. Visionary brands will see this unpleasant situation as a opportunity to do something about it. Theyíve been under Jean-Claude Biverís marketing play bookís influence for far too long already, itís time for a change and this Ed White is the best shot of rebooting the brand.

Can you blame them?
All this would be well and good , except omega is not an independent brand (owned by swatch group) the decisions will be made as the corporate bottom line dictates. Good decisions may easily be followed by corporate choices that are unfavorable for the consumer.

I remain hopeful that a clearer vision will guide their future but in the end there is just no way to know.
__________________
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 12:19 PM   #38
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member
 
Rashid.bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N/A
Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Posts: 9,084
Honestly, it took a while to come around to this watch, but I don't think I've been more excited for a watch than this(especially after the recent space launch, which got me really excited for a Speedy).
I want a Daytona of course, it has a great pedigree, but I reeeeeeeeally want this watch. Really want it.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 01:04 PM   #39
cda555
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
cda555's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: USA
Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Posts: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrist party View Post
HOLY CRAP I just looked at the silver Snoopy on Chrono24 for fun, I saw 2 available and some NUT JOB is asking for nearly 40k US OMFG!!!! A silver Snoopy for 40k WTF?
I still kick myself for not buying one at retail. My boutique offered me one at list if I bought a DSOTM at list. I thought it was crazy at the time because list for DSOTM was $12k and they were going for $7-8k from grey dealers. Hindsight, right?
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 03:23 PM   #40
Wrist party
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Toronto
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
I still kick myself for not buying one at retail. My boutique offered me one at list if I bought a DSOTM at list. I thought it was crazy at the time because list for DSOTM was $12k and they were going for $7-8k from grey dealers. Hindsight, right?

We all have regrets in this game, Iím still pounding myself for missing the Chronometre Bleu at retail a few years back as well
Wrist party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 04:16 AM   #41
robertengel
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Budapest
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
I still kick myself for not buying one at retail. My boutique offered me one at list if I bought a DSOTM at list. I thought it was crazy at the time because list for DSOTM was $12k and they were going for $7-8k from grey dealers. Hindsight, right?
You cannot define your success by opportunities missed, by that logic you never invested in any of the huge companies at IPO you didn't short all the bad companies, you didn't buy an apartment in London, NYC, Monaco when it was cheaper. Be happy with the opportunities you engaged with!
robertengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 02:04 AM   #42
lovetherolex
"TRF" Member
 
lovetherolex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: another planet
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrist party View Post
Yea I noticed the watchbox is shooting up the FPJ, the solevain tourbillon last year was for 60 something, my friend bought them at watch not long ago and it was at 85k, someone is clearly manipulating the price and playing supply games for certain models. The remaining problem is would FPJ become the next hottie in the market, aside from the CB of course, which is already one
If your friend bought a tourbillon souverain last year for 60 or 80 and it’s now basically doubled at from the same source for 130-150, what do you call that? Even the CB did not skyrocket like that.

Either way he got a steal, if true.
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 10:06 AM   #43
subtona
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
subtona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Real Name: gus
Location: East Coast
Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Posts: 23,150
Today Boutique told me USA expects first delivery in September.
__________________
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 01:14 PM   #44
Wrist party
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Toronto
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
If your friend bought a tourbillon souverain last year for 60 or 80 and itís now basically doubled at from the same source for 130-150, what do you call that? Even the CB did not skyrocket like that.

Either way he got a steal, if true.

Welp thatís what he told me, not that I paid much attention to those numbers anyways as they are out of my league vastly
Wrist party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 01:15 PM   #45
Wrist party
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Toronto
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Today Boutique told me USA expects first delivery in September.

Two weeks ago my SA told me they have a special delivery coming in and might have some good news for me, two week later Iím still waiting for his call
Wrist party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 01:15 AM   #46
ganiccus
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Real Name: Alex
Location: Quebec, Canada
Watch: Explorer II 216570
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrist party View Post
Welp I think this business logic works everywhere, think about the SS sports models from Rolex especially on Daytona, theyíve been playing the supply game long enough for people to accept the fact that it is a hard to get product. If they purposely mass producing the SS Daytona then the grey market price would be at discount like most of other watches and people will stop singing prayers when they get the watch because itís just a very very good chronograph watch at the end of the day.

Companies with tones of advanced manufacturing technologies like Omega and Rolex can produce as much products as they want, theoretically. They often chose not to because itís a luxury product and should remain its scarcity and be chased. Omega was not playing such game before and chose to make as many variations of watches as possible for consumersí desires, only ended up tanking their brand value and appreciated by almost no one. People think they are not as good as Rolex and will never be but ignoring the fact that their current watches are in fact just as good if not better. The problem was never just about the products, this is a mind game and they wanna close up the gap where Rolex has their advantages already. Keyboard fighters will accuse them for trying and ignore the fact that this is a long process of building a successful brand. Itís not their fault anyways cuz they are only mediocre people and do whatís been told. Visionary brands will see this unpleasant situation as a opportunity to do something about it. Theyíve been under Jean-Claude Biverís marketing play bookís influence for far too long already, itís time for a change and this Ed White is the best shot of rebooting the brand.

Can you blame them?
One of the main problems with Omega that nobody seems to talk about is they are trying so hard to please everyone, they end up displeasing everyone.

Like, what is the point of putting a GMT function on a Planet Ocean?? Or releasing 3 different sizes for the same model, can't you make a simple decision and stick with one size? you think successful brands like Rolex, AP and PP do this??
To me, they have no clear vision on how to market their brand, they shoot in all directions at once to see if they can catch the odd customer who wants a chronograph in their dress watch, turning off many more potential clients like me who see Omega as a weak brand who does not know what the customer wants.

The fact that their Omega speedmaster with hesalite is their best selling watch just proves everything I have said earlier, the design has remained mostly the same for decades, only with slight improvements on the movement over time.

Meanwhile, they revamp their seamaster diver line every 5 years or so, to a point where the previous generation is selling for pennies on the dollar. Why would I buy a current generation Seamaster if it's going to tank into oblivion when they suddenly decide to completely change the design in the next couple of years?
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 02:33 AM   #47
Trog
"TRF" Member
 
Trog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: BC
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
One of the main problems with Omega that nobody seems to talk about is they are trying so hard to please everyone, they end up displeasing everyone.

Like, what is the point of putting a GMT function on a Planet Ocean?? Or releasing 3 different sizes for the same model, can't you make a simple decision and stick with one size? you think successful brands like Rolex, AP and PP do this??
To me, they have no clear vision on how to market their brand, they shoot in all directions at once to see if they can catch the odd customer who wants a chronograph in their dress watch, turning off many more potential clients like me who see Omega as a weak brand who does not know what the customer wants.

The fact that their Omega speedmaster with hesalite is their best selling watch just proves everything I have said earlier, the design has remained mostly the same for decades, only with slight improvements on the movement over time.

Meanwhile, they revamp their seamaster diver line every 5 years or so, to a point where the previous generation is selling for pennies on the dollar. Why would I buy a current generation Seamaster if it's going to tank into oblivion when they suddenly decide to completely change the design in the next couple of years?
Sure, Omega doesn't claim the same numbers as Rolex, but they seem to be doing OK in a very competitive market:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Top-10-Swiss-Watch-Brands-in-2019.jpg (83.0 KB, 262 views)
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 04:28 AM   #48
FTX I
2020 Pledge Member
 
FTX I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Real Name: Flavio
Location: N/A
Posts: 12,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Honestly, it took a while to come around to this watch, but I don't think I've been more excited for a watch than this(especially after the recent space launch, which got me really excited for a Speedy).
I want a Daytona of course, it has a great pedigree, but I reeeeeeeeally want this watch. Really want it.
I can imagine my friend. I want one too but the price range made me uncomfortable so I don't see myself buying one in the near future. I don't think I'll get on board with them in their way to become a more sophisticated brand but I applaud them for doing that.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 04:41 AM   #49
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member
 
Roddypeepa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Real Name: Mark
Location: Southern England
Watch: Datejust 41 blue o
Posts: 442
I love the new 321 in pictures and the bracelet is much better in pictures. Ceramic great for hassle free wear and the nod to the original is great.

Standard moonwatch and sapphire sandwich seem to make comprises with the bezel being aluminium etc - sorry but itís 2020 and I want my watches to last. Itís premium money I need a premium watch.

But the price for the 321... . Itís a mickey take. I know that significant R and D costs have been incurred but come on - itís a 1960s design. If omega neglected to save their blue prints in their archives then thatís their bad.

Love the dial, love the bracelet, I bet the fit and finish is top drawer but the price is too much for all but the very wealthy. Perhaps they should ditch the sapphire sandwich completely, replace it with this at say half way between the two on cost and have the hesalite as the base model. Thereís too much choice with Omega.

I really like some of their models but itís so confusing it hursts my head and makes a used purchase a minefield. I think thatís part of the reason resale generally not as good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 01:12 PM   #50
GreenLantern
2020 Rolex+Tudor GMT Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
But the price for the 321... . Itís a mickey take. I know that significant R and D costs have been incurred but come on - itís a 1960s design. If omega neglected to save their blue prints in their archives then thatís their bad.
I agree.

I really dig this watch. And I'm a huge fan of Omega (I have more Speedy's in the collection than I can remember in my head without looking at my list), but I can't bring myself to spend Rolex Daytona money on it.

Yes, I know you can't get an SS Daytona at MSRP, but some people can. Even then, the 321 SS is priced higher than the SS Daytona (at MSRP). That's kind of crazy.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 07:06 AM   #51
bibbi
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Poland
Posts: 21
Any new info re when the watches hit the ADs?


Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 04:04 AM   #52
robertengel
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Budapest
Posts: 39
They are currently telling me July... We will see
robertengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Ea2096
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2020, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.