The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Old 13 September 2006, 01:31 PM   #1
Marie1
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Major Question for My First Post

Hello, Everyone,

I haven't worn a watch for forty years because of a nickel allergy. Suddenly, I got the idea that maybe I could wear a Rolex. The Rolex people in my community cannot answer my question. Can I wear one or not? The model I want to buy is a Datejust with the Jubilee bracelet, which does have some nickel in it, but nickel of a "superior quality". Unfortunately, that does not answer my question, and I'd hate to get too excited, or---horror of horrors---make the investment and discover that my skin reacts. Anyone have any experience with this issue? Thanks in advance for the response!

Marie
Marie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I would say that Nickel is Nickel as far as alergies go.
I would hate for you to spend the money & find out it reacts with your skin.
I think the superior nickel, would be in the strength etc, not Hypo alergenic.
I would beg or borrow someone you know, to let you wear it for a while, see how you react.
I'm not sure how much nickel is in the SS .

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2006, 05:55 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Hello, Everyone,

I haven't worn a watch for forty years because of a nickel allergy. Suddenly, I got the idea that maybe I could wear a Rolex. The Rolex people in my community cannot answer my question. Can I wear one or not? The model I want to buy is a Datejust with the Jubilee bracelet, which does have some nickel in it, but nickel of a "superior quality". Unfortunately, that does not answer my question, and I'd hate to get too excited, or---horror of horrors---make the investment and discover that my skin reacts. Anyone have any experience with this issue? Thanks in advance for the response!

Marie
Hi Marie,

Welcome to TRF. The steel in a Rolex is made of 904L grade which definitely has a higher nickel content than the standard 316L steel.

You would be well advised to perhaps try out a friend's Rolex (if that is possible) to find out how allergic your skin would be to this steel...before you venture out and pay megabucks for a new Rolex.

Good luck and cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2006, 06:06 PM   #4
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Hello Marie and welcome to TRF. As JJ stated, 904L stainless steel as used by Rolex contains 23-28% nickel. As JJ said, if you could borrow one for a short while, you could see how your skin reacts to it. Otherwise you may have to save a little longer and get a gold watch.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2006, 06:16 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Hello, Everyone,

Marie
Well first Maria nickel is nickel no such thing as "superior quality nickel",just the part ratio nickel to steel You could try a Titanium watch you could wear one of those.But if you did you would have to choose another brand,But why don't you buy a low price watch like a Seiko,wear it for a bit to see if you get any reaction. They use 316L steel same as Rolex uses for case back and bracelet.

Well the only part now of any Rolex watch thats made from 904L SS is the case ring,lug pins.All other parts including case back are made of 316L because the 904L did cause Rolex a few problems,over nickel allergy problems.Any part that now makes contact with the skin is 316L grade SS.

Quote from Rolex employee in 2002.

At the moment, we have several companies all over the world, serving our needs for stainless steel. The watch case back and bracelets are all made of X2CrNiMo17-12-2 which is the best compromise between the attributes of the variant materials. As usual, the steel is melted under vacuum, so we get an very pure base, which is easy to handle and allows an perfect polishing. And the same procedure as in every good (expensive <gold>) company

X2CrNiMo17-12-2 Is the technical specification for 316L S.S
One of those providers is http://www.boehler-thyssen.ch/

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2006, 06:39 PM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well the only part now of any Rolex watch thats made from 904L SS is the case ring lug pins .All other parts including case back are made of 316L because the 904L did cause Rolex a few problems,over nickel allergy problems.Any part that now makes contact with the skin is 316L grade SS.

At the moment, we have several companies all over the world, serving our needs for stainless steel. The watch case back and bracelets are all made of X2CrNiMo17-12-2 which is the best compromise between the attributes of the variant materials. As usual, the steel is melted under vacuum, so we get an very pure base, which is easy to handle and allows an perfect polishing. And the same procedure as in every good (expensive <gold>) company

Excellent info, Padi. Thanks!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 13 September 2006, 07:11 PM   #7
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

You'd never guess Padi once worked in the steel industry. Well done Peter, excellent information.

Member #10
Old 13 September 2006, 07:49 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ View Post
You'd never guess Padi once worked in the steel industry. Well done Peter, excellent information.
And still got my book for all the different types of mix, for most of the different specs for the companies that used special steels.But alas Rolex was not one of them,but don't forget it take a full year to make a Rolex watch.And on the same theme and fairy story,next we will see pigs fly,and England will win the world cup.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 September 2006, 07:53 PM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
...next we will see pigs fly,and England will win the world cup.
Can't guarantee the second bit, but I'm quite sure we will see the first!!

Old 13 September 2006, 07:57 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Can't guarantee the second bit, but I'm quite sure we will see the first!!

LMFAO You must hope the sheep dont get the same idea.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 September 2006, 10:49 PM   #11
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Here's an option. Get a Rolex and throw it on a NATO strap. The NATO runs undeneath the case (between the case and your wrist), so there's almost no contact between the watch and your skin. There's several here who don't care for NATO's, but I love 'em, and am wearing one now! Here's a pic if you don't know what a NATO is.

Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2006, 11:12 PM   #12
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Hi, Marie, and welcome to TRF. Sorry about the nickel allergy problem.

The others have made good suggestions. See if you can try one before spending big bucks; or you could get a Nato strap or a leather strap. That might work - and leather looks much nicer than those ratty striped cloth straps.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 12:00 AM   #13
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

I agree that a leather strap would look better, but the NATO runs under the case keeping it away from the skin.
Member #471
Old 14 September 2006, 01:34 AM   #14
Atomic

I would suggest that a Rolex isn't for you, given your nickle allergy.

I would recommend you look at perhaps a titanium watch. Titanium is hypoallergenic and watches you could consider are Omega and Panerai, to mention two. Even the Panerais made of SS might be worth looking at because the casebacks on some watches have a domed sapphire crystal, which elevates the watch on your wrist such that any contact with the SS is minimal.

Look into titanium.... or gold or platinum, if it's in your price range. Good luck.

Last edited by Atomic; 14 September 2006 at 03:18 AM..
Old 14 September 2006, 02:33 AM   #15
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Hi Marie and welcome to TRF I'm sorry to hear of your nickel allergy and I do hope all works out
Old 14 September 2006, 02:34 AM   #16
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well first Maria nickel is nickel no such thing as "superior quality nickel",just the part ratio nickel to steel You could try a Titanium watch you could wear one of those.But if you did you would have to choose another brand,But why don't you buy a low price watch like a Seiko,wear it for a bit to see if you get any reaction. They use 316L steel same as Rolex uses for case back and bracelet.

Well the only part now of any Rolex watch thats made from 904L SS is the case ring,lug pins.All other parts including case back are made of 316L because the 904L did cause Rolex a few problems,over nickel allergy problems.Any part that now makes contact with the skin is 316L grade SS.

I don't know how you do it, Peter but I'm sure as hell glad your here
Old 14 September 2006, 05:04 AM   #17
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Ooh where can I get a NATO strap, and can I install it myself?
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 06:09 AM   #18
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Ooh where can I get a NATO strap, and can I install it myself?
Here's where I ordered mine from. Yes you can swap it out easily yourself.

http://antiquewatchonline.com/
Member #471
Old 21 September 2006, 12:39 PM   #19
Marie1
"TRF" Member

Success!

Hi, All,

I do believe I can wear a Rolex, in spite of my nickel allergy! I put on my father's Submariner and wore it for five days straight, with no ill effects. This watch is not new, so now my only question is whether the Ladies DateJust is made of the same material as the men's Submariner of 22 years ago. Anybody happen to know that one?

Marie
Old 21 September 2006, 05:28 PM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Hi, All,

I do believe I can wear a Rolex, in spite of my nickel allergy! I put on my father's Submariner and wore it for five days straight, with no ill effects. This watch is not new, so now my only question is whether the Ladies DateJust is made of the same material as the men's Submariner of 22 years ago. Anybody happen to know that one?

Marie
Congrats, Marie...we are all happy for you!!

As far as I know, Rolex must be still using the same grade of steel. So I don't think a new lady's DJ would cause any untoward effects on your skin.

Good luck - JJ

Old 21 September 2006, 05:45 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Well Marie if you believe all that Rolex tells you,they say they use 904L steel which is true.But what they don't tell you is what parts,now according to a interview done in 2002,for the steel industry.A Rolex employee was quoted that they use X2CrNiMo17-12-2 S.steel for bracelet and case parts. Now X2CrNiMo17-12-2 is the technical specification for 316L S.S,so if you had your Fathers sub on without reaction.Then I would have thought you would have the same,by the ladies DJ same material as far as I am aware.I am sure that a large company like Rolex,would do everything in there power to avoid any law suites.And would clearly put a warning label on product saying might cause a reaction to some wearers.Especially in the USA where they now sue for almost anything.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 21 September 2006, 07:10 PM   #22
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Hi, All,

Marie
Congratulations Marie. Now get your butt out and buy a watch
Old 28 September 2006, 02:37 PM   #23
Marie1
"TRF" Member

OK, OK, my butt's been carrying me all over creation looking at watches and talking to jewelers. A local jeweler, not an AD, found a pre-owned Ladies DJ, exactly what I want, but I did not like the dial. He said he could change it.

Can a non-AD change dials, legally? Can a non-AD service the watch?

Another local said he could locate whatever I wanted, and guarantee authenticity. I'm skeptical. What do you think?

One more question: I'm torn between a satin dial and a black dial. The black one is easier to read, but the satin one is prettier. What do you all think?

Thanks. I guess I'll have to jump this weekend, before the price increase!
Old 28 September 2006, 04:04 PM   #24
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
OK, OK, my butt's been carrying me all over creation looking at watches and talking to jewelers. A local jeweler, not an AD, found a pre-owned Ladies DJ, exactly what I want, but I did not like the dial. He said he could change it.

Can a non-AD change dials, legally? Can a non-AD service the watch?

Another local said he could locate whatever I wanted, and guarantee authenticity. I'm skeptical. What do you think?

One more question: I'm torn between a satin dial and a black dial. The black one is easier to read, but the satin one is prettier. What do you all think?

Thanks. I guess I'll have to jump this weekend, before the price increase!
Hi Marie,

Legally, a non-AD may not touch a Rolex for any kind of work. But if you know the guy and he comes recommended from someone you know and trust, then go ahead.

Good luck and do remember to post some pics.

JJ

Old 3 October 2006, 02:08 PM   #25
Marie1
"TRF" Member

I did it! I bought a Ladies Datejust, before the price increase. I've been wearing it five days now, with no skin irritation. This is the first watch I've worn in forty years, and probably my last. It's exactly what I wanted.

The Rolex AD from whom I bought the watch said that according to a Rolex employee, the steel used is 904L, and that Rolex switched to 904L because it is "less hypoallergenic" than the 316L. Though the nickel content is greater, the manufacturing process seals it all together so the nickel doesn't leak out.

"Less hypoallergenic" actually means more likely to cause problems, as padi56 said a few messages previously, but my Rolex AD says, no, the opposite is true, according to his source. The 904L supposedly causes fewer reactions. The bottom line is that, alas, one must put the watch on the wrist before one knows whether the skin can take it.

So, there's the gist of my research on the this topic, for any of you who might meet someone facing the problem. Now I'm going to sit here and look at my watch.
Old 3 October 2006, 04:31 PM   #26
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
I did it! I bought a Ladies Datejust, before the price increase. I've been wearing it five days now, with no skin irritation. This is the first watch I've worn in forty years, and probably my last. It's exactly what I wanted.

The Rolex AD from whom I bought the watch said that according to a Rolex employee, the steel used is 904L, and that Rolex switched to 904L because it is "less hypoallergenic" than the 316L. Though the nickel content is greater, the manufacturing process seals it all together so the nickel doesn't leak out.

"Less hypoallergenic" actually means more likely to cause problems, as padi56 said a few messages previously, but my Rolex AD says, no, the opposite is true, according to his source. The 904L supposedly causes fewer reactions. The bottom line is that, alas, one must put the watch on the wrist before one knows whether the skin can take it.

So, there's the gist of my research on the this topic, for any of you who might meet someone facing the problem. Now I'm going to sit here and look at my watch.
Well done, Marie. Congrats on the new watch. Perhaps you might want to start up a new thread with some nice pics of your superb acquisition. Wear it in good health.

Cheers - JJ

Old 3 October 2006, 05:39 PM   #27
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congratulations Marie, now how about some pictures of this fine timepiece.

Member #10
Old 3 October 2006, 06:42 PM   #28
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Congratulations Marie. Wear it in good health
Old 3 October 2006, 11:23 PM   #29
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

That's great news! Congrats!!!!!
Member #471
Old 3 October 2006, 11:24 PM   #30
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Great news, Marie. Enjoy that beauty and post some pics.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote