The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 May 2011, 07:09 AM   #241
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Decided to join the ranks and be one of those that have both Rolex and Breitling. I chose the Navitimer World, something completely different in regards to look and feel than anything I have so far, however I do have an affinity for Chronographs and now I have a Navitimer.

I think Rolex will always be my favorite brand, as almost half of my watches are Rolex. However viva la difference.
the navi world is a great piece. serious bang for the IMO. what color dial did you get and is it on bracelet or strap. congrats on a great piece. The navi line screams Breitling.
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2011, 12:17 PM   #242
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
the navi world is a great piece. serious bang for the IMO. what color dial did you get and is it on bracelet or strap. congrats on a great piece. The navi line screams Breitling.
Thanks for asking. Black dial on the Black Calf strap. They had the same piece on a Black Croc, however I actualy liked it better on the Black Calf strap for some reason.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2011, 02:22 PM   #243
levirichardson

Watch: DAY-DATE
Nice
levirichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2011, 02:37 PM   #244
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
Both are great watches, depends of which model of rolex or breitling that I have to choose. we can not compare Daytona to Super Ocean for example. so in my opinion both are great watches , either one is a good choice just depends of which model.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2011, 03:21 PM   #245
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unprdctb1e View Post
Without a doubt, Rolex definintely feels better on the wrist
I can agree when it comes to their diver models. The superocean sits sort of tall and feels like it's weight is concentrated, while the sub is relatively flat so it spreads its weight more evenly on the wrist.
Old 11 May 2011, 12:00 PM   #246
sig-x
"TRF" Member

I like my Breitlings better than most Rolex watches. The only Rolex I care for is Meteorite face Daytona. I feel Rolex is getting way over priced now.
sig-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 02:20 PM   #247
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
The Breitling is a great watch, but a Rolex is in a different league... like a Porsche & Ferrari for instance...
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 06:02 PM   #248
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
I can agree when it comes to their diver models. The superocean sits sort of tall and feels like it's weight is concentrated, while the sub is relatively flat so it spreads its weight more evenly on the wrist.
thats the thing about most breitlings is that they are thicker. i think a good comparison in terms of diver vs diver would be the steelfish to the sub. i would say the sub is still thinner.
Old 13 May 2011, 11:35 PM   #249
Rolex2

I have two Rolex Oysters and one Breitling Colt. As far as I can tell, both are exclusive watches found at similar type jewelers--in some cases, the same jeweler.

Breitling, I believe, was originally an aviator watch and had one of the first chronos.
I've read Amelia Erhardt wore a Breitling on her flights. Rolex (the name from Rolls and Timex!) was one of the first waterproof watches. The perpetual self winding, I believe, was a pioneering watch.

I don't think Rolex established its elite reputation, however, until the 1960s.
I say that because my mother visited Italy in 1950, and wanted to buy the "best Swiss watch." She was told Zenith--over Longines and Rolex.
Rolex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 02:13 AM   #250
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex2 View Post
I have two Rolex Oysters and one Breitling Colt. As far as I can tell, both are exclusive watches found at similar type jewelers--in some cases, the same jeweler.

Breitling, I believe, was originally an aviator watch and had one of the first chronos.
I've read Amelia Erhardt wore a Breitling on her flights. Rolex (the name from Rolls and Timex!) was one of the first waterproof watches. The perpetual self winding, I believe, was a pioneering watch.

I don't think Rolex established its elite reputation, however, until the 1960s.
I say that because my mother visited Italy in 1950, and wanted to buy the "best Swiss watch." She was told Zenith--over Longines and Rolex.
very interesting. is it also true that it wasnt till the 80s that Rolex started to make everything in house?
Old 25 March 2020, 11:41 AM   #251
TheEverydayWatch
"TRF" Member

Underappreciated!

I think Breitling is a solid watch brand and I love the fact that they are now making an in-house chronograph. Although the Company hasn't been family-owned for just over 40 years now, Leon Breitling and his son/grandson would be happy to see that the company still keeps to its chronograph DNA.

Best,

The Everyday Watch
TheEverydayWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:52 PM   #252
OGAL30
"TRF" Member

Rolex

Definitelly Rolex :)
OGAL30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 05:31 AM   #253
jimmytamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor, IWC,
I have 126710 Pepsi, 16700, 16710 Coke & not to mention other Rolex models.

But recently I’ve started to look at Breitling.

I want to buy one to commemorate my flying career and I’m looking the one from 90s era.

Yes I know all models from 90s are not fitted with in-house caliber, but to me (I said again: “to me”)as an aviator, Breitling gives some feeling that Rolex doesn’t have.

Looks like Breitling name has some sweet spot to me.

Cheers...

https://www.instagram.com/fliegerb777/
Old 10 April 2020, 06:21 AM   #254
Flyoverguy
"TRF" Member

As Rolex has become more and more flashy jewelry I think Breitling has become less so and is getting into vintage-style design. Which is really good since the last few decades of Breitling have been too large and garish for me.

Breitling has the Chronograph heritage few others can claim. Between my Mossie and SOH 42 I am very happy. While the 14060 and the SkyD come out on special occasions.

So I wear Breitling more than my Rolex.
Flyoverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 03:26 PM   #255
mjr24
Banned

Yeah, Breitling has started to tone down their models. I liked some of the bigger ones from a few years ago (like the Bentley models, etc.) but my tastes have changed.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 12:32 PM   #256
ERH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Each has its place, I own both.
ERH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 12:52 PM   #257
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
But does Rolex make a slide rule?
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:32 AM   #258
JonnaJame
"TRF" Member

I have both and can confidently say that you'll be happy with either. If you are going to get one based on status, I would have to say Rolex would be your best bet considering its elite status and reputable name among all groups and not just watch enthusiasts. Your best bet is to contact a watch dealer and try both to find the watch you would like most to wear on your wrist.
JonnaJame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 03:17 PM   #259
minhc88
"TRF" Member

If one owns a Breitling. One will purchase a Rolex in the future, and will be happy and appreciate both. Both make such sturdy watches ones can wear everyday.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
minhc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 06:28 AM   #260
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
This is my 2 cents for this debate:

Comparative review: Breitling SteelFish vs Rolex Sea-Dweller
Old 26 July 2020, 09:31 AM   #261
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
I've always liked Breitlings & almost pulled the trigger on a few models, yet never did. Believe it or not, my BIGGEST complaint with the brand is the fact that they highly polish the heck out of all their models. It seems the only way you can get away from the polished look is to buy titanium examples, but I'm just not a titanium guy. The polish just looks to "In Your Face" shiny...some say it looks more dressy, but to me it degrades the watch and makes it look cheap. I'll take brushed SS any day over polished. I mean, come on, we're talking sport watches with 99.9% of their collection.

My other slight complaint is the fact that their bracelet links seem soooooo loose...I know that's the way they design them for comfort, but to me it almost feels cheap like it is already worn out and loose. In the end, if they started brushing their stainless instead of polishing, I'm sure one would already be in my collection.
Yeah I agree with this 100% I would go for them and like a few of there models but the bracelets always look really loose and flimsy I don’t have one but if I were to go down the breitling route I would go for a strap
slimboy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 10:53 PM   #262
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimboy1974 View Post
Yeah I agree with this 100% I would go for them and like a few of there models but the bracelets always look really loose and flimsy I don’t have one but if I were to go down the breitling route I would go for a strap
It’s that right? Have you tried on a breitling bracelet. I have a 16610 and owned a chronomat and the bracelet was 3 times heavier, no rattle, and the clasp tight and exceptional. Now that was a 2001 chronomat. I also tried on a navitimer bracelet and is was the same. I have found breitling bracelets to be on par if not better than my Rolex bracelets. Better than my omega for sure.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 07:13 AM   #263
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
It’s that right? Have you tried on a breitling bracelet. I have a 16610 and owned a chronomat and the bracelet was 3 times heavier, no rattle, and the clasp tight and exceptional. Now that was a 2001 chronomat. I also tried on a navitimer bracelet and is was the same. I have found breitling bracelets to be on par if not better than my Rolex bracelets. Better than my omega for sure.
Agree, the pilot and pro2 bracelets I have owned were excellent, substantive yet comfy, Rolex upped their tired game with the glidelock which was very needed. Only AP perhaps make a better bracelet than Breitling, but then you do have to pay for it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 08:03 AM   #264
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Tbh I’ve never tried one on it was purely a visual thing the way I thought it looked, I really like the dials on the breitling and sure I will get one in time
Old 27 July 2020, 03:56 PM   #265
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP. View Post
Both of those models are discontinued (as the reviewer notes), so not really relevant to today's buyer. Breitling released a new Superocean collection last year.
Old 30 July 2020, 03:57 PM   #266
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Agree, the pilot and pro2 bracelets I have owned were excellent, substantive yet comfy, Rolex upped their tired game with the glidelock which was very needed. Only AP perhaps make a better bracelet than Breitling, but then you do have to pay for it.
Very true. My first mechanical watch was a Breitling Colt with the professional bracelet. My second mechanical watch was a 14060. When I compared the Rolex to the Breitling I was used to wearing, I was disappointed. Breitling bracelets, even 20 years ago, were great.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 06:50 AM   #267
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

After reading these posts has got me interested in the breitling navitimer 01 I really like the look of the alligator strap, does this last well? Also do breitling offer discounts on their range?
Old 31 July 2020, 12:49 PM   #268
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimboy1974 View Post
After reading these posts has got me interested in the breitling navitimer 01 I really like the look of the alligator strap, does this last well? Also do breitling offer discounts on their range?
Discounts are readily available in the US on Breitlings. I’d still recommend picking up the bracelet along with the strap.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 08:48 PM   #269
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripec30 View Post
IMO Breitling seems like a better bang-for-your-buck, where as Rolex is a better investment.
This.

Honestly Rolex is a marketing company. If you don’t know a thing about watches you know Rolex. Many of the models are great to own IF you get them at MSRP because you can wear it for years and the value actually goes up.

To the watch aficionado they will talk movements etc etc. From a keeping time the best which SHOULD be about the movement it is all over the board. My best time keepers by far is a Breitling and a Panerai. Even within the brand though this can be different.

A watch tells time (and a few other things) plain and simple. Buy what you like. At the end of the day I own a bunch of different brands; Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Tag, Panerai, Doxa, Bell & Ross and a few other cheaper brands. I find myself wearing the Rolex. FOR ME the Rolex is just a good every day watch. To put on the others like the Monaco or the square BR or the bright orange faced Doxa I have to be “in the mood”.

Honestly though if I personally ranked these watches here is how I would rank brands taking an all inclusive approach and this is my opinion not the worlds.
1. Patek and is a far and away number 1. The grail, the king of wrist watches.
2. A distant 2 would be Rolex and AP. Still up there in the top dog world of watches but no Patek
3. Barely a 3 by itself is Omega.
3.5 Would be the Breitling, BR, Tag etc. These to me are the brands that become the upper brands for not a huge watch fan but wants a nice watch. I have a friend that is not a watch guy at all but he is wealthy and just wants a “nice watch”. He bought a Tag.
6. Many others and a big drop off from the above. This is where I would put Seiko (yeah I know the Grand Seiko fans will flame this one) Citizen etc
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 05:04 AM   #270
JTejeda320
Banned

Breitling is why I fell in love with watches in the early to mid 2000s. They have always been a great bang for the buck and IMO at that time much better quality than the pre-ceramic Rolexes. I didn't even consider a Rolex until the ceramic GMT came out around 2008. I've owned Omegas, Cartiers, Panerais, Ulysse Nardin, and IWCs. Regardless of what anybody says Breitling makes great watches. As much as I love Rolex I will always own a Breitling as they make for great, affordable daily wearers that I'm not afraid to beat up.
JTejeda320 is offline   Reply With Quote