The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 30 June 2020, 12:31 AM   #31
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittayos View Post
The first few aquanaut or nautilus aren’t too bad even for the first time purchaser. Show your passion and humbleness. Slowly build your relationship with a local AD. Things will come along either way.

When it comes to your 3rd or 4th sport watches from Patek, now comes the real spending. You can’t just have all the sport watches only in your collection from one Single AD. No AD will give you that unless you are lucky enough to find another AD who will grant you the same wishes.

Get a world time, some Calatrava from time to time and of course some grand complications, highly recommended. In case you want to stick to one AD and build your profile. When you ask for something special in the future, you will be prioritized or considered for sure. This is the only solution imo.

Otherwise, bundling isn’t bad after all. You know what you get after you pay.
This seems like so much work - if you want a watch that requires time and an AD relationship, just buy it on the grey market. the amount of money one would spend to make this strategy work would be far and away more than the incremental cost of a watch on the grey.

If you value your name on the papers for tens of thousands of dollars more...that's up to you.
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 12:36 AM   #32
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I believe that most think the list has to do with when you are placed onto it and that AD's move down the list from top to bottom. Not the case as attested too buy the many members here and posts. The reality is the AD's will sell to who they want, when they want and as many as they have. If you think it is any other way, then you are mistaken. I hear the word fair a lot, it's not fair that I can not buy what I want, when I want and for msrp. OK, it is not fair but it is reality. The hot watches can be sold for thousands above mspr should the owners decide and I think that has to do with a lot of the complaining about not being able to get these watches. If resale was 20-30% less for the watches from msrp most would not want them. Any watch you want is readily available in the Grey Market for market price but it makes my point that it is really about the money, not the watch.
Perfectly stated
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 01:10 AM   #33
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_tucker View Post
This seems like so much work - if you want a watch that requires time and an AD relationship, just buy it on the grey market. the amount of money one would spend to make this strategy work would be far and away more than the incremental cost of a watch on the grey.

If you value your name on the papers for tens of thousands of dollars more...that's up to you.
Depends. Are you simply buying a watch? Then by all means find the cheapest example available on the internet. I’m buying a lifestyle, feeding a passion, enjoying the process. As the relationship has built up over the years, i enjoy the anticipation of the. Ew yearly releases, selecting that special piece and then putting the order in. By the time the piece arrives months later, the new watches are shown again and you repeat the process.

Ofcourse of you just want to buy a watch, do it. But to me, this is a hobby, a passion, something I enjoy as so many others.
Pateks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 06:11 AM   #34
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Ah, the Downton Abbey code of conduct, good to see the last 100 years never happened.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 10:43 AM   #35
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateks View Post
Considering the fact that I can get the next allocation he gets from my AD for virtually any piece I want, yeah, there is no list. I have a 20 history of buying watches, not flipping, repeat customer, referring lots of family and friends- etc etc. The AD will reward me. I’ve had friends who have wanted aquanuts, nautilus and the sort and they are on his “list”. If I want a piece, he will get it for me. It’s not about lists. It’s all about history and loyalty with them.

Honestly, this seems fair to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 11:04 AM   #36
khooper
Banned

Quote:
Depends. Are you simply buying a watch? Then by all means find the cheapest example available on the internet. I’m buying a lifestyle, feeding a passion, enjoying the process. As the relationship has built up over the years, i enjoy the anticipation of the. Ew yearly releases, selecting that special piece and then putting the order in. By the time the piece arrives months later, the new watches are shown again and you repeat the process.

Ofcourse of you just want to buy a watch, do it. But to me, this is a hobby, a passion, something I enjoy as so many others.
Well said
khooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 11:10 AM   #37
guanxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well said! +1
guanxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 07:10 AM   #38
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I think some ADs do still have a “Waiting list” but they must filter who joins using some criteria.

Each time I’ve visited an AD I’ve shown an interest in the brand. I try on a few and then suggest the model I’m interested in and why. On a few occasions, if the watch I want has a two-tone equivalent which is easily sourced, I’ll ask for it to be brought into the store for me to try.

I usually ask for the sales representative’s card and leave my details.

One AD even called me recently and provided a range of Rolex steel sports models available, none of which matched my request which was nice.

I have purchased all my modern watches from ADs in this way and initially with no purchasing history. I’m not a doctor or lawyer and don’t have any business cards.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 08:13 AM   #39
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

I don't have a business card anymore. But I do have a strong handshake and look people in the eye when doing so.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 08:26 AM   #40
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
It's a 4 dimensional list.

1) How long you been on it
2) The last time the AD gave you something "good" vs.
3) Your purchase history of course if you buy often or large $ they will consider you more.
4) Your attitude / relationship (are you pleasant, patient and respectful? Are you a genuine collector? How long have you know the AD?)
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 10:22 AM   #41
Peter123
"TRF" Member

I pretty much agree with the OP. What I would add is I think the influence of your sales person / branch manager etc. How hard are they pulling to get you your watch- let’s say there are 20 sales ppl across 5 branches. They all have clients that want a daytona/ nautilus or whatever. If that sales person bugging their manager on your behalf? Or are they a bit disinterested. I’ve been in sales a Long time, persisistance pays off- you make the pitch to your sales person, they then need to make the pitch internally to their management.
Peter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 10:39 AM   #42
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter123 View Post
I pretty much agree with the OP. What I would add is I think the influence of your sales person / branch manager etc. How hard are they pulling to get you your watch- let’s say there are 20 sales ppl across 5 branches. They all have clients that want a daytona/ nautilus or whatever. If that sales person bugging their manager on your behalf? Or are they a bit disinterested. I’ve been in sales a Long time, persisistance pays off- you make the pitch to your sales person, they then need to make the pitch internally to their management.
Agree with this but I would attempt to go above the sales person to the manager/owner - whoever is the one making the decisions. This is just another way of saying build that relationship.
Old 1 July 2020, 10:56 AM   #43
Peter123
"TRF" Member

Fair point. I was going more from the angle of large stores WoS, or in Singers we have Sincere and Hour Glass, Wempe in the US. If your a guy (like I would imagine most of us) have bought 3 or 4 watches over a 5 year period maybe something for mrs. Even if you meet the manager / owner I’d suggest your just not going to feature so highly on his/ her radar. If you can build that relationship direct- absolutely best option. But otherwise my advice is choose a sales person wisely. Also (I learnt this one the hard way) if you’re starting out and want an omega or Rolex and maybe want AP or Patek down the road. Give your custom to a AD that carries Patek. Otherwise you’re starting again when you do make that step up
Peter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 12:04 PM   #44
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter123 View Post
Fair point. I was going more from the angle of large stores WoS, or in Singers we have Sincere and Hour Glass, Wempe in the US. If your a guy (like I would imagine most of us) have bought 3 or 4 watches over a 5 year period maybe something for mrs. Even if you meet the manager / owner I’d suggest your just not going to feature so highly on his/ her radar. If you can build that relationship direct- absolutely best option. But otherwise my advice is choose a sales person wisely. Also (I learnt this one the hard way) if you’re starting out and want an omega or Rolex and maybe want AP or Patek down the road. Give your custom to a AD that carries Patek. Otherwise you’re starting again when you do make that step up

Agree and fair points all around.
Old 1 July 2020, 02:25 PM   #45
qrc36
"TRF" Member

I'm scoring points during this pandemic by buying a (not too popular but very classic looking) annual calendar that has been sitting (double sealed) in their safe for a few months. Told my sales associate that it's to support her and the AD during this drought in HK. She told me I don't have to do this, but it feels like the right thing to do.

With (virtually) no tourists for the last 4 months, and locals not buying much either, my AD says sometimes one entire afternoon passes by with zero customers entering the shop.

A purchase right now will hopefully add to the (already wonderful) relationship with my AD and perhaps put me higher up on the list when I want something nice in the future?
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 03:00 PM   #46
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrc36 View Post
I'm scoring points during this pandemic by buying a (not too popular but very classic looking) annual calendar that has been sitting (double sealed) in their safe for a few months. Told my sales associate that it's to support her and the AD during this drought in HK. She told me I don't have to do this, but it feels like the right thing to do.

With (virtually) no tourists for the last 4 months, and locals not buying much either, my AD says sometimes one entire afternoon passes by with zero customers entering the shop.

A purchase right now will hopefully add to the (already wonderful) relationship with my AD and perhaps put me higher up on the list when I want something nice in the future?
Good for you and I hope it works out for the best in the future. Hopefully the AD doesn’t get amnesia when things turn around. Congrats..
Old 1 July 2020, 03:08 PM   #47
guanxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrc36 View Post

Hopefully this will turn out OK for you! However ADs and boutiques already have a solid backlog of desirable watches reserved exclusively by and for Mainland clients only waiting for HK quarantine to be lifted which should be soon...so hot pieces have been here for months, all are pre allocated and waiting to be collected!

Just buy what you genuinely like! I purchased my 5205G for the only reason that I love that piece and that it brings me joy every time I see and wear it!
Buy because you like the rest is a consequence...
guanxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 11:55 PM   #48
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I believe it all boils down to the market your in (which city), the AD business model (selling locally only or spreading their wings) and finally their work ethics
An AD that exists in a smaller city, sells only to local customers and has good work ethics (yeah right, as if there’re tons of those) are more likely to deliver!
I’ve had similar experience with Rolex AD
Old 2 July 2020, 12:46 AM   #49
Toffeeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5164A
Would love to hear from Singapore or Kuala Lumpur experience. In KL, even though only two ADs, their criterias seem different. However I have yet to see the business card factor being an important criteria over here, unless someone in this chat tells me otherwise.
Toffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 01:34 AM   #50
S``
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffeeman View Post
Would love to hear from Singapore or Kuala Lumpur experience. In KL, even though only two ADs, their criterias seem different. However I have yet to see the business card factor being an important criteria over here, unless someone in this chat tells me otherwise.
Spending talks in the SEA region. The more recent, the better
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 01:45 AM   #51
Pim
Banned

I'm actually going to frame this one, @Pateks

Pim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 01:49 AM   #52
qrc36
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S`` View Post
Spending talks in the SEA region. The more recent, the better
Spending more always helps. The more the better!

I live in Hong Kong but I purchased a 5196G and 5140G from the same AD in Singapore within 4 months in 2019 (couldn't find them in HK). I never asked them about Nautilus or Aquanaut.

During my 5140 purchase, the sales associate asked if I was interested in Nautilus or Aquanaut, as she could put me on the list. I declined as I have everything I want already. Not sure if "putting me on the list" actually meant I had a good chance of getting one. She may have been polite (seeing that I bought some slow-moving stock from them) and I have no idea if she could have really gotten me anything special.
Old 2 July 2020, 03:25 AM   #53
alexlt730512
"TRF" Member

totally agreed on this. no wait list at all.
alexlt730512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 10:18 AM   #54
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post

Lol. Glad you corrected my typo.
Thx again for the kind words.
Old 2 July 2020, 03:40 PM   #55
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post

The pedestrian version:

1. See awesome new Patek release. Fall in love.
2. Look into wallet, fly comes out of it.
3. Be determined to get that Patek.
4. Save up for a long time.
5. Finally about to get it
6. Uh oh, no availability at AD
7. Uh oh, 50% above msrp grey
8. Save up some more to get it grey.
9. Finally about to get it again.
10. Patek discontinues the model after 18 months
11. Market price shoots up another 30%.
12. Repeat.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 03:57 PM   #56
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffeeman View Post
99 percent of the business is being with the crown prince of Johor. Love his instagram :)
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 06:24 PM   #57
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
No list exists. In fact, if you are REALLY VIP, then many times, a boutique/Patek Salon will have a nautilus or rare model in the safe ready to go. I know that AP does the same thing, where they will usually have 1-2 15407s, 15202s etc but not for sale, until a SUPER VIP or massive spender comes in.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 02:25 AM   #58
kearez
"TRF" Member

I don’t understand the business card? I get from the ADs point of view, that if your a doctor/lawyer/finance you have higher income and more likely a repeat customer. What if you are retired? Have to turn up the AD with income verification? ��
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 03:00 AM   #59
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearez View Post
I don’t understand the business card? I get from the ADs point of view, that if your a doctor/lawyer/finance you have higher income and more likely a repeat customer. What if you are retired? Have to turn up the AD with income verification? ��
Same reason doctors and lawyers are more likely to get accepted to buy into high-end co-op apartment complexes than people who might be more affluent but have business cards indicating less social prestige.

PP spends a lot of effort and money on maintaining the Veblen good status of its watches. What would otherwise be the point of restricting supply, having some models being available by application only, etc? Apparently they even buy back watches from the market in order to identify watch flipping customers and ADs*. Having social prestige as one of the discrimination criteria for its desired customer base isn’t suprising when put into this context. Not saying it’s right or wrong, it’s just how they choose to conduct business.

* https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/12/s...rry-stern.html
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 03:27 AM   #60
qrc36
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearez View Post
The Patek representative in HK actually calls the number on the card, to make sure it is genuine and that the person still works there.

If you've retired by the time they call, too bad - they will most likely refuse the sale. If they can't verify your identity or suspect you have a fake card, they will also reject the sale. This was told to me in person at one of the private dinners with the Patek representative (they held beautiful dinners for 8-10 customers only, with no partners/guests allowed). Everybody at the dinner was either a doctor or a lawyer - and all of them from the upper end of the medical/legal market.

Patek's representative in HK assumes that doctors/lawyers who work in the upper end of the market are less likely to flip and are allowed to jump the queue.

If you don't have a good business card, don't worry - buy a few dress watches and you'll be placed on the list.