The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 2 July 2020, 03:50 PM   #1
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Planet Ocean 43.5mm (blue dial) vs. Diver 300m 42mm (PVD chrome dial)

Well, the struggle continues. I am still trying to narrow down my first Omega and I think I have it just about sorted. There are certain features I like about each of these watches, and I am hoping that some of you with experience with one, or both, of them, can provide your thoughts and experience.

I like the Diver 300m because it is thinner, but I really need to try these on, as I am a larger, muscular guy and larger watches tend to look better on me. The Planet Ocean is a bit thicker, but is it really that big of a deal? What do those of you with experience think?

I like the taper of the bracelet on the Planet Ocean better than the straight bracelet on the Diver 300m, but I actually like the overall look of both bracelets, and they have the same clasp.

Both watches have a display case back with similar movements, but the Planet Ocean has a twin barrel movement and 5 more hours of power reserve (60 hours vs 55 hours). I believe they are finished to the same standard, but someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I love the wave pattern on the Diver 300m, but who knows if I will feel that way for years to come. I also love the blue dial on the Planet Ocean and feel like there is a bit more bling on that model. There seems to be more contrast between polished and matte, not just on the dial and indices, but on the entire watch overall.

I like the way the crown and HE escape valve are shaped on the PO better than on the Diver 300m. I also like the bezel on the PO much better than the scalloped bezel on the Diver 300m.

I like the position of the date window on the Diver 300m better than the one on the PO as it provides more symmetry to the dial, but this isn't a huge deal.

So, what does everyone think? I won't buy one or the other until I can go try them on again, which may take some time due to current circumstances, but I want to get as many perspectives as possible. I have heard that the PO is a better-built watch, but is that actually the case?

Thanks all!

Pics taken from Omega website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 07:24 PM   #2
OrangeKenny
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Well from reading your post it seems that your preference is the Planet Ocean, so I’d say go with that unless it doesn’t sing to you once you try it on.
Thickness shouldn’t be an issue unless you are trying to wear it under a cuff, which it was never meant to do imo.
Fit and finish are equal on both models as far as I can tell. PO is “better-built” only in terms of depth rating.
Good luck!
OrangeKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 08:26 PM   #3
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I’m biased as I have a PO. Both are great. I prefer the PO because it’s legibility is excellent. I like the hands better. I’ve never been a fan of the skeleton hands. Good luck with your choice.
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 01:14 AM   #4
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
PO for me. Incredible watch
Old 3 July 2020, 03:55 AM   #5
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeRookie View Post
I’m biased as I have a PO. Both are great. I prefer the PO because it’s legibility is excellent. I like the hands better. I’ve never been a fan of the skeleton hands. Good luck with your choice.

I like the hands a bit better as well and it does look more legible. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKenny View Post
Well from reading your post it seems that your preference is the Planet Ocean, so I’d say go with that unless it doesn’t sing to you once you try it on.
Thickness shouldn’t be an issue unless you are trying to wear it under a cuff, which it was never meant to do imo.
Fit and finish are equal on both models as far as I can tell. PO is “better-built” only in terms of depth rating.
Good luck!

It does seem like I am leaning towards the PO, doesn’t it? But that gray-dialed Diver 300m also keeps pulling me back! I could just get both.. but there are so many good watches out there that that just seems too redundant and a bit boring.

Thank you for your thoughts regarding the thickness as well. I’m not worried about it sliding under a cuff because I’m hardly ever in a suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
PO for me. Incredible watch

It is definitely a looker!

Old 3 July 2020, 04:24 AM   #6
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
i have both. The 300 is hard to read the date, and the bezel of the PO is much easier to use.

The PO has great bracelet and non nato strap options (haven't) tried a NATO myself yet but people seem to not like the PO on nato)

Love the 300 but only on nato. Not a big fan of the bracelet, though I did buy the bracelet version. Rubber strap option looked nice but made the watch wear small on my 7.5"+ wrist.

In a collection the 300 is a nice option as the dial and blue hands are different than most others you see, and are quite beautiful. PO is a better all around option IMO.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 08:04 PM   #7
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
...The Planet Ocean is a bit thicker...

...Both watches have a display case back with similar movements, but the Planet Ocean has a twin barrel movement and 5 more hours of power reserve (60 hours vs 55 hours). I believe they are finished to the same standard, but someone please correct me if I am wrong...
My opinions: the PO's proportions are chunkier in a good way, and Caliber 8900 is significantly better than Caliber 8800.

Between these two, the PO is clearly my pick.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 10:00 PM   #8
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
Plus 1 for the PO
Cleaner lines and much nicer bracelet
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 01:15 PM   #9
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I have both. Not the exact same versions. I knew I wanted the PO so that came first and bought the SMP soon after. I love both but suggesting you to go for the big brother first, The PO which is most likely one of THE BEST Sub/Diver watches made. I have two Rolex Subs as well and they have nothing over a Planet Ocean.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 01:20 PM   #10
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

I have both. Not the exact same versions. I knew I wanted the PO so that came first and bought the SMP soon after. I love both but suggesting you to go for the big brother first, The PO which is most likely one of THE BEST Sub/Diver watches made. I have two Rolex Subs as well and they have nothing over a Planet Ocean except the price tag, actually the PO is better piece if I dare say..If you buy new at an Omega store stay away from the boutiques as they are not aggressive towards discounting. Happy Choosing.

Old 6 July 2020, 07:49 AM   #11
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAK4 View Post
i have both. The 300 is hard to read the date, and the bezel of the PO is much easier to use.

The PO has great bracelet and non nato strap options (haven't) tried a NATO myself yet but people seem to not like the PO on nato)

Love the 300 but only on nato. Not a big fan of the bracelet, though I did buy the bracelet version. Rubber strap option looked nice but made the watch wear small on my 7.5"+ wrist.

In a collection the 300 is a nice option as the dial and blue hands are different than most others you see, and are quite beautiful. PO is a better all around option IMO.
Thank you for your thoughts. I agree that the PO is more clear and looks like it would be easier to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
My opinions: the PO's proportions are chunkier in a good way, and Caliber 8900 is significantly better than Caliber 8800.

Between these two, the PO is clearly my pick.
Thank you for your thoughts. What about the 8900 makes it significantly better than the 8800?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer25 View Post
Plus 1 for the PO
Cleaner lines and much nicer bracelet
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
I have both. Not the exact same versions. I knew I wanted the PO so that came first and bought the SMP soon after. I love both but suggesting you to go for the big brother first, The PO which is most likely one of THE BEST Sub/Diver watches made. I have two Rolex Subs as well and they have nothing over a Planet Ocean except the price tag, actually the PO is better piece if I dare say..If you buy new at an Omega store stay away from the boutiques as they are not aggressive towards discounting. Happy Choosing.

Thank you for your thoughts. I will likely not buy from a boutique as I know they can't move as much on price. There was an awesome AD near me, Tourbillon in Seattle, but they said they are not re-opening due to damage to their store because of protests. That really sucks because they carried Omega, Blancpain, Brequet, and GO; all brands I am very interested in picking up watches from.
Old 6 July 2020, 10:59 AM   #12
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for your thoughts. I agree that the PO is more clear and looks like it would be easier to read.

Thank you for your thoughts. What about the 8900 makes it significantly better than the 8800?

Thank you.

Thank you for your thoughts. I will likely not buy from a boutique as I know they can't move as much on price. There was an awesome AD near me, Tourbillon in Seattle, but they said they are not re-opening due to damage to their store because of protests. That really sucks because they carried Omega, Blancpain, Brequet, and GO; all brands I am very interested in picking up watches from.
Thats terrible and unforgivable to hear about the damage caused to innocent businesses and people but i hope they can get back to work soon. Not sure (forgot) about the minor tweeks on the newest movements, maybe something with the balance bridge or hairspring but whatever you end up with will be a very nice piece. I still say PO first but that SMP fells great and comfy on the wrist, the new bracelet also has a glide/slide type adjustment like the PO, not tapered but very nice, I'm a bracelet guy anyway, straps don't last long for me. Again, Happy Choosing and hope you pick one up soon...

Old 6 July 2020, 02:13 PM   #13
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Thats terrible and unforgivable to hear about the damage caused to innocent businesses and people but i hope they can get back to work soon. Not sure (forgot) about the minor tweeks on the newest movements, maybe something with the balance bridge or hairspring but whatever you end up with will be a very nice piece. I still say PO first but that SMP fells great and comfy on the wrist, the new bracelet also has a glide/slide type adjustment like the PO, not tapered but very nice, I'm a bracelet guy anyway, straps don't last long for me. Again, Happy Choosing and hope you pick one up soon...

Yeah it really sucks. I was disappointed when their San Francisco rep contacted me by phone, which was very nice of him, to let me know that the Seattle location would not be re-opening. He said it was also due to their lease coming up on the property, and that they would just be closing down the store completely. I was really looking forward to checking out the shop and trying on some awesome watches!

Good points regarding the PO vs SMP. I am glad to see that now, even though they have different bracelets, the adjustable clasp is the same because it provides some great features.
Old 6 July 2020, 08:08 PM   #14
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
This is a good question, and it prompted me to challenge my own opinion on the matter. On paper, there is only the largely theoretical advantage that the twin mainsprings in c.8900 should deliver power more consistently and evenly than the single spring in c.8800, and this should result in greater stability of amplitude and rate.

I guess my personal preference for c.8900 is mostly just that: my personal preference! I like that the 13-ligne size of c.8900 is more proportionate to the 40mm-43mm cases we typically find it used in, and I prefer the way c.8900 looks to c.8800 (architecturally).
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:26 AM   #15
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Well, I have made my decision. A couple of things happened that made it easier for me to decide and somewhat pushed me over the edge. I was contacted with an offer to purchase a new, 2019 Seamaster Diver 300m gray dial at a great price and at about the same time I took a bit of an unexpected work trip to Los Angeles. I was able to check out a good selection of Omega at Tourneau who were extremely nice and accommodating. They had the exact Seamaster I was interested in, the 43.5mm ceramic no date, the 43.5mm PO, and 44.25mm Speedy moon phase black dial on bracelet. I will say that if the 43.5mm ceramic Seamaster had a date, it would be very tempting to go for that model.

Interestingly, I found that the PO didn’t do as much for me in person as I expected. It seems like a “squat”, kind of chunky piece and didn’t look any larger in diameter than the 42mm Seamaster Diver, really. I also found this to be the case with the Speedy moon phase 44.25mm. I expected it to look broad, but I found it to be, again, a “squat”, kind of chunky piece. I actually couldn’t believe it was 44.25mm as it really looked closer to 40mm to me.

Anyway, this all made it much easier for me as I really enjoyed the low profile of the Seamaster Diver 300m as well as the “subdued”, but super cool gray dial with the blue hands. It’ll be here soon now!

Thanks again everyone for your comments, insight, and perspective. It is all truly appreciated, but what it really cake down to was getting a chance to try these on side-by-side. I’ll create a separate incoming thread when it arrives!