The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 February 2020, 05:34 AM   #1
PRabbit
"TRF" Member

SuperOcean 44 regulation

Bought this watch from Jomashop a few months ago. So no factory warranty. I like the watch and has been great. But it’s consistently been running almost +15sec per day. I didn’t mind it at first. But since I’ve received a couple other watches that are running +1 per day, it’s brought some negative attention to this watch.

First things, I know the +15 is well out of the COSC specs it claims to have, but I know that is for the movement itself before in the case. So what is a realistic expectation for this watch and is +15 unacceptable? And if so, would it be worth sending it back to jomashop under their warranty to have it regulated? Or would it not be worth the risk of them damaging it further just to slow it down by 10 seconds or so?

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A240A6C3-2B8C-42B2-8F71-4329284FE7F0.jpeg (65.9 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpeg 86A7CAF5-2622-47FF-BC0E-986CD2CF3E1D.jpeg (62.2 KB, 178 views)
PRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 09:17 AM   #2
Camdamonium
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot DepecheMode
After owning hundreds of Breitlings, here is my opinion:

Most pre-owned Breitlings run 7-12s/d. I personally do not service them until they get outside of 15s/d or have any degree of a functional issue. I've had new watches run out of COSC spec and 20 year old Chronomats run within COSC spec. There is no good way to predict if they will need a service or not.

Many people do not know that a service is typically just oiling the movement and adding new gaskets/seals. Therefore, practically anyone can do it. You can send it to Breitling and pay a good chunk of change, or an independent watchmaker can do it for 50%-75% of the cost, typically in a faster manner.

If you wear the watch often, service it. For watches I wear every week, I want them <14s/d personally. Don't service it if it doesn't bug you.

Now, if you do service, I personally would do it at an independent watchmaker I trust and have a relationship with. it is unlikely that the watch needs parts from Breitling, probably just some simple regulation and oiling to ensure everything is moving properly.

A lot of times, new watches get to gray market sources due to being New Old Stock (they sat in the dealer for a couple years). The dealer wanted to wholesale them, so they send them to someone like Jomashop who purchases them where they then can sell immediately or once more sit. So, when you think with this lens, it doesn't sound too preposterous that a "new" gray market watch may need a service, if you catch my drift.
Camdamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 05:05 PM   #3
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

If you bought it brand new then it won’t need a service (cleaning and oiling). It just needs regulating, which any independent watchmaker can do easily and quickly.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 12:45 AM   #4
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Mine runs +2, purchased a few months ago from a US dealer. Love the watch and would send it back and get it regulated if mine was that fast.
Old 20 March 2020, 05:54 AM   #5
PRabbit
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the help everybody! Much appreciated!

In the last month the watch has settled down just a bit. Now running +9 spd. Still faster than I’d like. I did have someone recommend an independent in Minneapolis that could take care of it. I’m going to reach out to them and make sure they would also pressure test the watch for me after opening it up. If so, I’ll see if they can get this bad boy down to real accuracy.
PRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 02:33 PM   #6
samjanderson
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean II
Awesome post and appreciate your input. New watch enthusiast and was a bit confused about how places like Jomashop are able to offer "brand new watches" at way lower prices so that makes sense. Do you know if the movements ever get changed with places like Jomashop or are they usually original?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdamonium View Post
After owning hundreds of Breitlings, here is my opinion:

Most pre-owned Breitlings run 7-12s/d. I personally do not service them until they get outside of 15s/d or have any degree of a functional issue. I've had new watches run out of COSC spec and 20 year old Chronomats run within COSC spec. There is no good way to predict if they will need a service or not.

Many people do not know that a service is typically just oiling the movement and adding new gaskets/seals. Therefore, practically anyone can do it. You can send it to Breitling and pay a good chunk of change, or an independent watchmaker can do it for 50%-75% of the cost, typically in a faster manner.

If you wear the watch often, service it. For watches I wear every week, I want them <14s/d personally. Don't service it if it doesn't bug you.

Now, if you do service, I personally would do it at an independent watchmaker I trust and have a relationship with. it is unlikely that the watch needs parts from Breitling, probably just some simple regulation and oiling to ensure everything is moving properly.

A lot of times, new watches get to gray market sources due to being New Old Stock (they sat in the dealer for a couple years). The dealer wanted to wholesale them, so they send them to someone like Jomashop who purchases them where they then can sell immediately or once more sit. So, when you think with this lens, it doesn't sound too preposterous that a "new" gray market watch may need a service, if you catch my drift.
samjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote