The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 August 2019, 11:59 AM   #1
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Oyster quartz question

Good evening. Seeking some advice. I have been thinking about adding a birth year 1980 oyster quartz to my collection. I have one in sight that I might pick up soon but I was talking to my local watch repair guy about it and he told me not to get it. He told me that the OQ are a pain to service and if anything goes wrong it's next to impossible to fix since you cannot find parts for it. He told me he's actually telling all his customers who have one to get rid of it because it's so difficult to fix if needed. Just wondering what the community thought about this and if this is true?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
oxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 12:22 PM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Assuming you have a long life ahead of you, the OQ could be difficult to keep running if the quartz oscillator module goes out.

Your watchmaker was right about that part being hard to source already. But much of the other parts in the gear train came from the mother mechanical movements of the late ‘70’s.

If it is just going to be one of many pieces then you may not care to keep it running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 12:45 PM   #3
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Assuming you have a long life ahead of you, the OQ could be difficult to keep running if the quartz oscillator module goes out.

Your watchmaker was right about that part being hard to source already. But much of the other parts in the gear train came from the mother mechanical movements of the late ‘70’s.

If it is just going to be one of many pieces then you may not care to keep it running.

Oh this is good to know. Thanks. I'm not wetted to the idea of this watch but just thought it would be cool to add to The rotation but not if it's going to be a pain to fix. Maybe I will just hold out

Old 26 August 2019, 02:51 PM   #4
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
You guy is full with of crap. I own a 17013 and a 17014. When I bought the 17013 it needed a major overall. Luis at Rolex in Wynn’s in LV said Rolex does not want anyone, except Rolex to service their quartz. He can only change batteries and seals. He sent my 17013 to RSC Dallas. They have ample parts. Replaced the dial, crystal, electric components, hands, winding stem. I got a new watch when they were through. This was just 5 years ago. Just remember Rolex does not sell quartz parts to any third party repair service.

daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 08:20 PM   #5
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Rolex still services them but it’s not cheap. They may stop servicing them at some point but that’s anyone’s guess.

I have owned several of them over the years and never had a problem, great watches 👍👍.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 08:43 PM   #6
77T

Oyster quartz question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxzilla View Post
Oh this is good to know. Thanks. I'm not wetted to the idea of this watch but just thought it would be cool to add to The rotation but not if it's going to be a pain to fix. Maybe I will just hold out

Don’t let your watchmaker’s comments deter you if you like the OQ’s. He may be sour if he doesn’t have a parts account. That is what makes it a pain for HIM.

Rolex even requires OQ training for any certified watchmaker with a parts account. Otherwise even a parts account holder can’t get the quartz module. So in that context, and from his perspective, it is difficult to source parts.

But you won’t have problems for quite a while. You may just have to send it to Rolex for service. I expect the RSC will fix them for years to come.

Remember that these were made until 2000-2001 and sold by ADs for perhaps 5 years after that. In vintage circles, they are just “teenagers”.

Now finding a nice one from exactly 1980 could be a difficult quest. I would pay close attention to examples that are full sets. It would be a plus if it has been RSC serviced recently.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 10:09 PM   #7
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input everyone. Exactly the info I was trying to track down.

Old 27 August 2019, 03:02 AM   #8
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

To anyone who's recently had an RSC full service on an OQ...

what does it run these days?

Thanks in advance
mbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 03:29 AM   #9
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbc View Post
what does it run these days?

Thanks in advance
On my preliminary research on finding between three and five k

Old 27 August 2019, 11:31 PM   #10
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxzilla View Post
if anything goes wrong it's next to impossible to fix since you cannot find parts for it.
Definitively untrue. Rolex still services these. I had a full service on my OQ 17000 a couple of years ago by the Rolex Service Center in Tokyo. It cost about $600 USD.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 11:36 PM   #11
trebor
"TRF" Member

Rolliworks also services the oysterquartz movements.
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 12:21 AM   #12
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the last two posts. That actually makes a huge difference knowing they still service it.

Old 30 August 2019, 07:12 AM   #13
Floorguy

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Tell all his customers to give me a call, I’ll buy them all!!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2019, 12:20 AM   #14
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Repair costs. Five years ago had RSC Dallas do a complete overhaul. Total cost was $1,500.00 USD. This also included a dial swap for $800.00.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 23 September 2019, 03:45 AM   #15
octagon pilot
"TRF" Member

September 2019 pricing

I just had an OQ serviced at the NY service center, dropped off 08/19 and picked up 09/19.

My father had worn this one daily since he purchased it in 1984. It had never been serviced prior, only batteries for 35 years. While it never summited Everest, it has been used hard in industrial environments. The watch is an absolute tank, durability wise.

The full service was $700, and several parts were replaced, including the dial at $510, crystal for $180, 18K YG crown for $170, and the hands for $99. A new TT bracelet was offered at $3450 which I declined.

When I was dropping it off, I asked about the availibility of parts in the future and of course was told there is no problem for the foreseeable future. I'm hoping to keep this one running for another 35 years.
octagon pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 01:39 AM   #16
Liquid Snake
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Oysterquartz
I have one myself as my first Rolex. And still my only Rolex for now. I bought it back in 2014 and I really enjoy it. They are a great accurate watch and Rolex still replaces the batteries and gaskets for free. The 17013 is a great watch. Also ironically the oysterquartz line is the safest online buy. They don't fake that watch at all and the royal oak style design is awesome. I just wished I could fix the bracelet stretch.
Liquid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 01:55 AM   #17
daveo5
"TRF" Member

I second the opinions of both writers. My Oysterquartz collection includes both the 17013, two tone and the lesser seen 17014, WG bezel and SS. Whenever it’s battery change time I also have the seals replaced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 17 October 2019, 09:35 AM   #18
jedy617
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega/Rolex
My oysterquartz was about $600 to service a few years back at ABC. Do it, I miss that watch. Have to get another some day.
jedy617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 11:24 AM   #19
robbrum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 16234
Back from service elf months ago.

robbrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 12:08 PM   #20
daveo5
"TRF" Member

17013 and 17014

Old 3 November 2023, 03:18 AM   #21
hoytcinema
"TRF" Member

Watch: OQ 17000 blue dial
false

i hope you got it! i know this is from 2019 but im bored at work lookin through forums LOL i got mine serviced no problem it was 3784. parts weren't really a problem with ebay i made mine from a case and a "non working" movement. most say non working on ebay because of missing parts. got a great deal! put it together and it worked.... for a year just had Rolex over haul it took 9 weeks didn't seem to hard to get parts, did take an extra 2 weeks waiting on one part from Geneva though but it came and she looks steller
hoytcinema is offline   Reply With Quote