The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 17 October 2019, 08:50 AM   #1
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Why is my Omega unpopular? Or is it?

I joined the forum a couple weeks ago and have mostly stuck to the Rolex discussion forum (because I would like to eventually purchase one). But when I sifted through this Omega forum I didn't see my current Omega represented. Did I buy an unpopular watch? (I bought it new back in 2012). If so, why is it unpopular? I really don't care that it's not popular but I'd like to understand why I can't seem to find any representation here. Or maybe I didn't search hard enough. Haha. Sorry, not trying to troll or anything. I am legitimately curious if there is something that watch enthusiasts don't care for. Like the styling or inferior movements or whatever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-7602.jpg (224.1 KB, 653 views)
nworbled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 08:53 AM   #2
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I like this one a lot. Black or blue. Just don't need a combination of diver and chrono function.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 09:00 AM   #3
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 126600, 126
Hello there friend. Omega makes a lot of watches, many of them slip through the cracks and rarely get mentioned.
Perhaps having a watch that you can’t find much chatter about makes you a unique collector..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nanasaka90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 09:05 AM   #4
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I like this one a lot. Black or blue. Just don't need a combination of diver and chrono function.
Thanks. That makes sense. I've never used the "dive" function myself. I have, however, used the stopwatch feature a few times. Haha.
Old 17 October 2019, 09:08 AM   #5
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanasaka90 View Post
Hello there friend. Omega makes a lot of watches, many of them slip through the cracks and rarely get mentioned.
Perhaps having a watch that you can’t find much chatter about makes you a unique collector..

Thanks for your response. I do like the fact that it's not as common as some other watches as I like to be a little different. I've read before that Omega does spit out many different watches every year so perhaps you're right. I was just wondering if my watch was deemed inferior to enthusiasts for some reason. It seems the Speedmaster is a very popular Omega so maybe enthusiasts just gravitate more towards those models.
Old 17 October 2019, 09:08 AM   #6
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Until recently, I had a titanium Omega Seamaster. i thought it was excellent. It just did not get enough wrist time.
Old 17 October 2019, 09:15 AM   #7
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

I have owned a couple versions of this model in blue, years ago. The Valjoux based movement is solid as a rock and keeps great time. I also think the skeleton hands make a lot of sense on a chronograph, allowing the wearer to see the subdials when operating the chrono.

When they introduced this in design in the 90's, it was also one of a very few (might have been the only one for a while) of dive chronographs where you could operate the pushers at the rated depth, and it would stay waterproof.

It's thicker and heavier than most watches in this space, but for me, that was part of the appeal.

As for popularity, I think it's a niche piece. Makes it a bit more special than the usual stuff folks get excited about.

Great watch!
Old 17 October 2019, 09:29 AM   #8
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Until recently, I had a titanium Omega Seamaster. i thought it was excellent. It just did not get enough wrist time.
Old 17 October 2019, 09:31 AM   #9
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP(Canada) View Post
I have owned a couple versions of this model in blue, years ago. The Valjoux based movement is solid as a rock and keeps great time. I also think the skeleton hands make a lot of sense on a chronograph, allowing the wearer to see the subdials when operating the chrono.

When they introduced this in design in the 90's, it was also one of a very few (might have been the only one for a while) of dive chronographs where you could operate the pushers at the rated depth, and it would stay waterproof.

It's thicker and heavier than most watches in this space, but for me, that was part of the appeal.

As for popularity, I think it's a niche piece. Makes it a bit more special than the usual stuff folks get excited about.

Great watch!
Thanks! Hearing you say that you think it's a niche piece actually makes me feel a little better. Haha.

Yeah, it's a pretty hefty watch which may be one reason why it's not so popular.
Old 17 October 2019, 10:20 AM   #10
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I love that watch.

There are endless watches here. And unless it’s a popular Rolex it might not have gotten a lot of attention.

Keep on dude. That watch is super.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 11:19 AM   #11
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
That’s a great watch! I have a few watches that nod body ever talks about. Only person who has to like it is you!
Love to see pieces like yours that you don’t see every day.

42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 11:42 AM   #12
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
The sea master pro is a very popular watch but the SMP chrono diver seem not as popular.
Old 17 October 2019, 12:01 PM   #13
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I love that watch.

There are endless watches here. And unless it’s a popular Rolex it might not have gotten a lot of attention.

Keep on dude. That watch is super.
Thanks! I am just now realizing that Omega has several different iterations of each model as opposed to how many Rolex has.
Old 17 October 2019, 12:01 PM   #14
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
That’s a great watch! I have a few watches that nod body ever talks about. Only person who has to like it is you!
Love to see pieces like yours that you don’t see every day.

Thanks man! By the way, I spoke to Dustin and Kenneth...I'll PM you the details.
Old 17 October 2019, 12:03 PM   #15
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
The sea master pro is a very popular watch but the SMP chrono diver seem not as popular.
As a non-diver I can see how the chrono function may be a bit superfluous. Seems like it could come in handy at some point for divers, though.
Old 18 October 2019, 07:35 PM   #16
akendo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
Start a thread with a compelling title and get some engagement around the things you like about your piece. Take us on the journey and why you chose it. Everyone has a unique story to tell, and sometimes the story is more interesting than the watch. These are emotional purchases in the main.

akendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 08:14 PM   #17
Pronto0322
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post

I agree, for me it’s one or the other. But it’s what “you”like.

Pronto0322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 08:24 AM   #18
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akendo View Post
Start a thread with a compelling title and get some engagement around the things you like about your piece. Take us on the journey and why you chose it. Everyone has a unique story to tell, and sometimes the story is more interesting than the watch. These are emotional purchases in the main.

Unfortunately, there isn't much of a story to tell....

I walked into the store thinking I wanted to buy a Breitling (for some reason I had always lusted after one because of their looks). However, when I got there and saw how gigantic the dials were compared to my skinny wrists I decided that a Breitling would not be a good fit for me. As I perused the showcases the salesperson pointed out the Omega to me and said it was nice and that I would like it. The dial is similar to the Tag Heuer Aquaracer that I was wearing at the time. I don't think I immediately liked the Omega but I tried it on and the salesperson and his associate both told me that it looked good. I believed them.

They gave me a discount and took my Tag Heuer as a trade-in. I half jokingly asked if there was a spiff on the watch since it seemed they had pushed me into the sale. (Spiff is a bonus commission). They laughed and said no.

I've had the watch for 7 years and I love it now but to be honest I feel like I probably bought it cause of the salesperson's good sales tactics. Haha. I didn't go into the store looking for an Omega. If I had done my research prior to going into the store I would have probably walked away with a different Omega model (i.e., Speedmaster) but I'm happy with what I got.
Old 19 October 2019, 08:25 AM   #19
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronto0322 View Post

To be honest, I bought it just cause I liked the way it looked.
Old 19 October 2019, 08:26 AM   #20
Justindo
"TRF" Member

If you're happy with it that's all that matters. I like it too, for what that's worth. Being able to time two things simultaneously comes in handy sometimes, too.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 08:35 AM   #21
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

diver/chrono combo is a combo that doesnt appeal to divers or chrono lovers. Like Nascar
Truck series. Its beautiful though and dont want to disparage your watch, Love it and enjoy it
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 10:31 AM   #22
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
I really like your watch. I own 3 omegas myself and wouldn’t want to part with any of them. I love my Omegas and would pick up another in a heart beat. Omegas most recent releases have not been slam dunks. I really wish they reduce their case sizes on their next releases. I thought their Casamigos is fantastic. The I guess lack of media attention right now is because their most recent releases are not blowing people away. Hopefully they can get some heads turning in the coming years.

mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 01:34 PM   #23
Gasguzlr
"TRF" Member

Your watch is awesome. One of the best diver chronos out there. There are few chronos that are capable of being used under water, like this one. I use mine sometimes when I dive, especially when I first started diving. I would use the bezel for bottom time, and the chrono function for safety stops. Even above the surface, the ability to time two things at the same time is a function I use fairly often.

Be proud of your watch. It's a classic and a beauty. Enjoy!!

Cheers

Ross
Gasguzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 01:02 AM   #24
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

I like it ! It's a Classic !

I have it's older brother:
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 01:32 PM   #25
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronto0322 View Post

I read once that a (commercial) diver might use the chrono function to time projects, or decompression stops, separately from overall dive time. That's where using an old fashioned back up dive watch with two ways to measure elapsed time may come in handy.