The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 September 2019, 07:22 PM   #151
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 10:05 PM   #152
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
There are some that believes VC makes better watches than Patek, they are just not as good at marketing.
Interesting, that's what I've been told too. Apparently it came from a watchmaker.

What I like about visiting VC boutique is their hospitality.

kelv_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 11:19 AM   #153
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
There are some that believes VC makes better watches than Patek, they are just not as good at marketing.
That is what I believe.
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 11:20 AM   #154
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelv_w View Post
Interesting, that's what I've been told too. Apparently it came from a watchmaker.

What I like about visiting VC boutique is their hospitality.

I am buying my VC watches from the wrong store!
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 05:28 PM   #155
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar

Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 11:56 PM   #156
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Toledo 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullasaif View Post

Beautiful 1921!
I’ve been wanting to add one to my collection.

Sent from my Zeitwerk
Plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 12:36 AM   #157
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

that 1921 is simply stunning!! Nothing quite like it
Old 16 September 2019, 04:24 AM   #158
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I was referring to both, historical and modern AP. Historically, I never stated AP were insignificant, simply that Breguet are more important (as evidenced previously).
As evidenced by you, since 2000 (modern AP) there hasn't been much to hang their hat on imho. A 6hz movement in 2006 (Breguet released a 10hz movement in 2014) and the first forged carbon case. Great. Since that time, Lange have created a Triple Split chrono and a stop seconds tourbillon (to my knowledge the only company to be able to achieve either).
That list was far from comprehensive, and each maker can boast their list of world's firsts. The fact that AP is regarded as one of the top three brands while Breguet isn't is hardly going to be overridden by your contrarianism or personal dislike of the brand.

Also conveniently moving scale to 2000 leaves out AP's development of first self-winding tourbillon wristwatch, in 1986.

As to high frequency movements: actually AP developed a 12Hz movement--in 2006:
http://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/mad...-time-keeping/

The Schumacher Laptimer with triple-column wheel and alternating consecutive lap timing and double flyback (world first) was released in 2012:
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...ael-schumacher
Quote:
The Laptimer Michael Schumacher is the very first mechanical chronograph with alternating consecutive lap timing and flyback functionality, and this is all made possible by a downright nasty new caliber from AP. Caliber 2923 is the product of over five years worth of work and features no less than three column wheels. One column wheel, located at the six o’clock position, controls the chronograph sequence, while the two at the 12 o’clock position control the complex laptimer sequence.
So, I think it's a bit of a stretch to state they've had no accomplishments since 2000...I'm sure there are other examples, I know they've recently released new calibers and as I recall recently released one which tracks sunset/sunrise based upon latitude tuned by user, but frankly this isn't worth my time to look up, you've shown an obvious bias against AP for some time and I've already wasted enough time arguing with you about it. AP earned this slot, and there are a multitude of factors which led to their getting it.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 04:53 AM   #159
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Icon3

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
That list was far from comprehensive, and each maker can boast their list of world's firsts. The fact that AP is regarded as one of the top three brands while Breguet isn't is hardly going to be overridden by your contrarianism or personal dislike of the brand.

Also conveniently moving scale to 2000 leaves out AP's development of first self-winding tourbillon wristwatch, in 1986.

As to high frequency movements: actually AP developed a 12Hz movement--in 2006:
http://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/mad...-time-keeping/

The Schumacher Laptimer with triple-column wheel and alternating consecutive lap timing and double flyback (world first) was released in 2012:
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...ael-schumacher

So, I think it's a bit of a stretch to state they've had no accomplishments since 2000...I'm sure there are other examples, I know they've recently released new calibers and as I recall recently released one which tracks sunset/sunrise based upon latitude tuned by user, but frankly this isn't worth my time to look up, you've shown an obvious bias against AP for some time and I've already wasted enough time arguing with you about it. AP earned this slot, and there are a multitude of factors which led to their getting it.
I have no personal distaste for the brand, and I'm no contrarian. I'm objectively looking at Breguet's historical accomplishments to APs.

Again, nobody is saying AP haven't accomplished alot, they are clearly a top brand with great historical prominence. What myself and some others are saying is Breguet are more important historically and should have been in the "Holy Trinity". I hardly except AP to be jettisoned because of the opinions of some people on this thread, myself included. That doesn't mean those opinions shouldn't be expressed or discussed on a watch forum.

I "conveniently" picked 2000 because we were talking about modern/ recent accomplishments, comparing AP to Lange in that timeframe (2000 seemed like a nice cutoff for what it considered modern). My point here is, if we were creating a modern day "Holy Trinity", Lange would be included.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 07:02 AM   #160
tom2517
"TRF" Member

It’s probably time to rethink the holy trinity anyways, the term was coined what, in the 1970s? With the popularity of Patek around here obviously it will remain in there, but I would think plenty of people want to put ALS in there somewhere (assuming it doesn’t have to be exclusively a Swiss brand).

Personally I would kick out AP, they are just too much of a one trick pony for me. The obvious choice for most here would to be to disregard VC, it’s not a popular brand. But in terms of just watch making, they are much more well rounded than AP.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 08:03 AM   #161
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Would the holy spirit be kicked out of the Catholic "holy trinity" in place of Mother Theresa because she has done more for the faith/world/poor or whatever in the last XX number of years? I am Catholic so please don't report this as hate speech! :)

The answer is NO!!

By all means create a "modern trinity", a "hot trinity" or whatever but the traditional "holy trinity" for watches is what it is. Please respect it as watch enthusiasts for the respective brand's history, innovations, artisanal skill, tradition etc. You don't have to love the watches, but in the watch community (which is much broader than TRF...) those are the old guard and the trinity is the trinity. No substitutions allowed...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 16 September 2019, 02:14 PM   #162
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper33 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of owners of luxury watches couldn't care less about retail value, I know that I don't. If it appreciates, great, but who gives a shit. If you think you'll really need the money in the future and selling a few pieces will make a difference in your life, perhaps buying them in the first place wasn't a good move. They're meant to be bought with disposable income.

A brand new Ferrari also takes a hit the day it leaves the dealership, but I don't imagine owners really care about that.

But that's the current state of affairs...guess the "hot demand" created a whole new segment of "value retention enthusiasts"...
Best post ever !!! Even if I own Rolex, I know it’s not near AP, VC, PP, Lange and few more... my grail watch is a Lange for sure...

Rolex pricing is very much affordable for many and that’s the reason why there is more people able to buy one (Average Joe) who cares about resell value as probably these few thousand euros is there long saving “investment”

PP for example, the entry level PP Aquanaut cause already more then a Sky Dweller and grey market, currently cause what 2x Daytona’s are selling for grey ...so of course the market is more limit to the persons who really have the money to get luxury watches ... and not average Joe
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2019, 10:54 AM   #163
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
The only thing I think about when I see a VC on a guys wrist is that he got hosed for 40% after purchase.

To be fair, pretty much every watch brand depreciates after purchased. Including Lange, FP Journe and other amazing independents. I have never paid retail for the few versions of the Royal Oak I have owned including the cchronograph and perpetual calendar. This paying over retail thing is a recent trend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2019, 11:06 AM   #164
Jace
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
To be fair, pretty much every watch brand depreciates after purchased. Including Lange, FP Journe and other amazing independents. I have never paid retail for the few versions of the Royal Oak I have owned including the cchronograph and perpetual calendar. This paying over retail thing is a recent trend.

And to add as an afterthought, I have owned multiple models from all three of the holy Trinity. I have also owned a single Lange. It didn’t last long. This is because they make superlative dress watches and I just don’t have a need for that. There is a rumor that they are about to make a sport watch. I would love that.

My current day to day watch is the VC overseas simple three hand with blue face. The first modern iteration sport watch from the holy trinity.

Old 30 September 2019, 11:40 AM   #165
jtli202
"TRF" Member

I think the holy trinity name is stupid tbh. But VC does make a good watch. I love the new overseas blue dial

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
jtli202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 09:45 AM   #166
Jace
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtli202 View Post
I think the holy trinity name is stupid tbh. But VC does make a good watch. I love the new overseas blue dial

Agree. The term holy Trinity came from the great watch depression caused by quartz watches. These three brands were considered the top dogs at the time. It is a label nothing more. Lange was consumed by east Germany, the independents didn’t exist yet, JLC was primarily a movement manufacturer and other top Swiss brands like GP, Breguet and Blanpain were all there.

Blancpain, which is older than VC, unfortunately died because of it. They were revived but they have not been in continuous operation like VC.

It is the term used by watch collectors, nothing more.

Old 14 October 2019, 01:57 PM   #167
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastique999 View Post
Beautiful 1921!
I’ve been wanting to add one to my collection.

Sent from my Zeitwerk
Absolutely stunning.

The more I look at Vacheron the more I like the brand. I have it narrowed down to an Overseas, Patrimony or a Fifty Six. I find the Maltese Cross - especially on their buckles - to be so damn cool.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 09:40 PM   #168
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Because it should be

Old 30 December 2019, 04:59 AM   #169
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided

VC is tops along with Patek for me.
Juan Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 03:13 PM   #170
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther89 View Post
That seems a very vague answer. Do they make more complicated watches than anyone else. Have they done something so amazingly groundbreaking such as invest the first waterproof mechanical watch or the first watch to ‘land on the moon’?
Because of this

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 05:22 AM   #171
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
Would the holy spirit be kicked out of the Catholic "holy trinity" in place of Mother Theresa because she has done more for the faith/world/poor or whatever in the last XX number of years? I am Catholic so please don't report this as hate speech! :)

The answer is NO!!

By all means create a "modern trinity", a "hot trinity" or whatever but the traditional "holy trinity" for watches is what it is. Please respect it as watch enthusiasts for the respective brand's history, innovations, artisanal skill, tradition etc. You don't have to love the watches, but in the watch community (which is much broader than TRF...) those are the old guard and the trinity is the trinity. No substitutions allowed...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Exactly!
Juan Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 05:31 PM   #172
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post

Really want to see one of these in person. I heard the brown in person is even more attractive than the blue
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 08:20 PM   #173
Joey5622
"TRF" Member

History and craftsmanship of VC is amazing. Just because it is not the "popular" choice nowadays should not take away from the fact that it belongs in the trinity.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Joey5622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 10:33 PM   #174
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther89 View Post
That seems a very vague answer. Do they make more complicated watches than anyone else. Have they done something so amazingly groundbreaking such as invest the first waterproof mechanical watch or the first watch to ‘land on the moon’?
Yes they do. Here is one example. Do a google search for a hundred more. VC will make things that Patek, AP, Rolex, omega wouldn’t dream of. For a price, they’ll make anything a customer wants.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/vachero...atch-hands-on/
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 11:49 PM   #175
SROB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
Yes they do. Here is one example. Do a google search for a hundred more. VC will make things that Patek, AP, Rolex, omega wouldn’t dream of. For a price, they’ll make anything a customer wants.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/vachero...atch-hands-on/
Amazing piece.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 12:03 AM   #176
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post

Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
Really want to see one of these in person. I heard the brown in person is even more attractive than the blue
I agree and would love to see this color in person
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 12:47 AM   #177
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtli202 View Post

Agree with this 110%.

It's like the ridiculous comic book nicknames for Rolex, but perhaps slightly more offensive.

Vacheron has produced some fantastic watches though and has a storied history.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 07:58 AM   #178
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrolexendrolex View Post
Because of this

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
that ultra-thin is amazing and class! love it!
Old 5 January 2020, 02:08 PM   #179
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
You heard right
Old 5 January 2020, 02:11 PM   #180
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Beauty

I agree and would love to see this color in person

Would love to show it to you.