The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 October 2019, 12:42 PM   #31
ttomczak
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
Speedy for the win!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 663523C3-82E9-40A1-8158-EC7F480A1AA5.jpeg (213.8 KB, 67 views)

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 08:36 PM   #32
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. Good choice.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 10:21 PM   #33
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
I have been around a long time and flipped many dozen of Rolex sport watches, I really don’t miss any of them. I flipped a Speedy once and bought another shortly after, I still wear it all the time. I would much rather wear a Speedy Pro over any Rolex branded watch these days. The Speedy is just a classic, I love it. I wear mine on the bracelet in the summer and I am about to switch over to straps for the winter, it’s such a versatile watch.

Everyone has a sub, even the non watch lovers who have expendable income. I know many guys who know nothing about watches, they wear the brand and have money so they buy a sub. It is the biggest turnoff for wearing the same watch they wear. True watch enthusiasts wear Speedy Pros. It’s your choice but personally, I would forget completely about the sub and get a Speedy Pro and some extra straps and enjoy it for life.

I really agree with your points. All the hype and hard to get business has turned me off to the brand and I really am starting to dislike that aspect of what Rolex stands for now. I have a Daytona and a sub, and it’s getting to the point where I am uncomfortable wearing it. I mean a 10 year old looked at my watch and said, hey is that a Rolex (has my sub on at the time). When I got into Rolex back in the mid 90’s my parents gave me my first couple. They bought them
Because they wore them and pounded them for 25 years without service so I liked the look and they appreciated the reliability. It was less about the status behind it and more about the reliability and function. That’s all changed now. The madness over the Daytona is a pure example, the ceramic version was not really an upgrade but people want to have the latest “it watch” on their wrist. That’s really what it’s about. Many don’t care, don’t know, or don’t appreciate the history of the thing, they just want the recognition. And to some degree, Rolex has facilitated this with the increased giant lugs, maxi dials, and excessively shiny ceramic bezels. As a result, my speedy too has been getting the bulk of My wrist time.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 10:25 PM   #34
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I want another black SS watch on a bracelet, and the Speedmaster is calling my name. It's a timeless classic, understated looks and reasonably priced. One could say the same thing about the Submariner (114060) which I have owned before and kinda wish I had not sold. Twice. But I'm a flipper.

That's the first step, right? Acknowledging that you have a problem. But I digress.

So, I can get a Speedy Sapphire Sandwich (that's the one I'm leaning toward) today new at around 40% off MSRP (gray) or I can wait an unknown number of months (I'm already on the list, but so what?) and get the sub, you know, eventually. I don't want to pay MSRP for a used one and I refuse to pay over MSRP for a new one, so I will have to wait.

If it takes long enough for the sub, I can have both and not upset my budget.

Thoughts?

I have a sub and my speedy pro (hesilite) and both exist quite nicely in the collection. I would pick up the speedy enjoy it and pick up the sub when it becomes available. I think you will find like others have mentioned the strap versatility really makes it a different animal. The water resistance of the sub means that they really hold two different spots in the rotation, despite the same color scheme.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 10:39 PM   #35
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttomczak View Post
Speedy for the win!
OMG, that is too cool, I'd never seen that one before. I love the "what could you do in 14 seconds" text, so whimsical. Dang. I'll bet it's one of those limited editions...

I don't regret my upcoming plain ole' boring non-snoopy sandwich, but now I'm going to have to start looking for one of those.

Thanks.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 02:49 AM   #36
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats! Sapphire sandwich is the Speedy to have IMHO. Beautiful movement to see, great feel when winding, clarity of the dial through the sapphire crystal vs. the Hesalite, etc.) - though some Omega enthusiasts would vehemently disagree (buy what you like, like what you buy).

That said, stay on the list for the Sub. Aside from both having black dials, they are completely different watches and both deserve to be in your collection and worn well (and in good health)!
Dr.Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 03:21 AM   #37
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Thanks Dr.Stu.

BTW, I researched the Snoopy and apparently nice examples are now selling for PM Rolex prices, so that's not going to happen for me.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote