The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 October 2019, 07:18 AM   #1
Tantalum
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18248 & 16610
Advice on getting my 16610 serviced

I need advise on where to get my 16610 sub serviced. It's currently losing 30-40 seconds a day. I'm located in South Florida and have considered a few local options. One wants $750 plus parts and the other wants $170 plus parts.

I don't think I'm even going to consider the one offering the service for $170 because it seems frighteningly cheap. The 3rd option is going to Mayor's and having them send the watch off to an RSC like I did with my Day-Date. The concern I have about it going to an RSC is if they replace the dial, hands & polish the case which I do not want. I am worried about sending it to an independent because I may not get authentic Rolex parts.

So my question is, if I decided to send the watch to a RSC can I simply request a movement service, and will they listen? Also is there a trusted independent in South Florida? I'd rather go down that route but I don't want to get screwed.

I'd post pics but I guess I have to post 10 times before I can do that.

Thanks
Tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 10:04 PM   #2
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Call RSC and ask them...
Old 19 October 2019, 10:23 PM   #3
Stellite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalum View Post
I need advise on where to get my 16610 sub serviced. It's currently losing 30-40 seconds a day. I'm located in South Florida and have considered a few local options. One wants $750 plus parts and the other wants $170 plus parts.

I don't think I'm even going to consider the one offering the service for $170 because it seems frighteningly cheap. The 3rd option is going to Mayor's and having them send the watch off to an RSC like I did with my Day-Date. The concern I have about it going to an RSC is if they replace the dial, hands & polish the case which I do not want. I am worried about sending it to an independent because I may not get authentic Rolex parts.

So my question is, if I decided to send the watch to a RSC can I simply request a movement service, and will they listen? Also is there a trusted independent in South Florida? I'd rather go down that route but I don't want to get screwed.

I'd post pics but I guess I have to post 10 times before I can do that.

Thanks
IF your watch is that slow, then get it serviced immediately. Rolex will not replace anything without asking first. Go through an AD and tell them you want service with no external parts replacement.
Stellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 11:25 PM   #4
Tantalum
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18248 & 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellite View Post
IF your watch is that slow, then get it serviced immediately. Rolex will not replace anything without asking first. Go through an AD and tell them you want service with no external parts replacement.

Will they only replace what I want? I've heard stories of people who asked for only a movement service and they ended up with a case polish & new external parts.
Tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 11:29 PM   #5
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
I think you can stipulate what you want with RSC.

Why not try one of the good Indies, folks on here will be able to recommend one.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 12:11 AM   #6
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonHead View Post
I think you can stipulate what you want with RSC.
This. I brought my tritium 16700 to RSC NY, had them do a quick evaluation on what needed to be done. I just had them put down no replacing the dial or hands (which they won't just do without asking because it costs extra) and no polish. He brought the watch into the back one more time and spoke with one of the watchmakers who confirmed he'd do the service without replacing either.

The watch came back exactly how I asked.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 12:43 AM   #7
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

RSC will provide an estimate of mandatory repairs and recommended repairs. You’ll have the option to accept any or none of the recommended repairs; or you can just walk away and not have them do anything.

To your other point, you’ll never be able to stop anyone from making unauthorized repairs, whether that’s RSC or an independent. If this is a concern, ask them what the remedy is if they do breach the contract.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 09:17 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalum View Post
Will they only replace what I want? I've heard stories of people who asked for only a movement service and they ended up with a case polish & new external parts.
They are just that, stories.

Nothing wrong with having the case refinished, although a bunch seem to think that is offensive now days. However, any parts replacements outside the movement cost extra, so they generally will not do that without the go-ahead.

You could also contact Rik Dietel at Time Care Inc., in FLA.
Old 20 October 2019, 01:25 PM   #9
Glosstritium
Banned

Try to magnetize it first.. I have the machine you can use for free im in south florida... If not I know a great guy watchmaker that will take care of you half cheaper them rsc.. PM me if you like
Glosstritium is offline   Reply With Quote