The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 27 October 2022, 01:26 PM   #31
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Love that they're making this but needs to be smaller. JLC would have made it at 39mm and ultra thin.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 11:00 PM   #32
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
At the same point, Rolex “stretching” to “innovate” is adding a “0” next to a “5” on a dial.
First, I think it's a smart move to defend Omega.
Because it is true that with the classic Moonwatch has lessons to teach on the subject !
(now you got it, not really )

It doesn't matter that the dial and the codes have imperceptibly changed, we remove it from the catalog, be aware that it is the bankruptcy of the company...

Second, one of the reasons is that you need to inform yourself, innovation is far from being aesthetic in the field of watchmaking and micromechanics.
Whether from the 1950s with the 321 to today's 3861, or at Rolex with more than 500 patents filed and a research and development department working on a daily basis.

You're welcome, culture and sharing is free.

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 11:08 PM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toproll85 View Post
Nice piece, but a bit of "humor" (and reality)

Ok, asking for a friend what is the joke? In plain English please.

Thank you
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 03:32 AM   #34
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Ok, asking for a friend what is the joke? In plain English please.

Thank you
Assuming this is a serious question, I can offer you my interpretation:

Rolex is the Boss of the watch world with a very strong position in its space with respect to the retail pricing and its reputation (I beg to differ on price as most cannot get a Rolex at retail price).

On the other hand, Omega is perilously stretching its market reach, trying both to sell $200 MoonSwatches on the low-end to an almost $500k super luxury watch.

Rolex doesn't deal in the super low, or the super high, and because of that, they are a strong brand, with strong messaging and market segment.

Omega may be trying to do too much at the same time and may not succeed in bridging that gap.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 03:41 AM   #35
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
Assuming this is a serious question, I can offer you my interpretation:

Rolex is the Boss of the watch world with a very strong position in its space with respect to the retail pricing and its reputation (I beg to differ on price as most cannot get a Rolex at retail price).

On the other hand, Omega is perilously stretching its market reach, trying both to sell $200 MoonSwatches on the low-end to an almost $500k super luxury watch.

Rolex doesn't deal in the super low, or the super high, and because of that, they are a strong brand, with strong messaging and market segment.

Omega may be trying to do too much at the same time and may not succeed in bridging that gap.
Thank you, and it was a serious question (from a friend).

IMHO, it’s good when brands stretch themselves to show their level of capability and innovation.

As I said earlier … I guess Omega is damned if they do and damned if they don’t.
Old 28 October 2022, 04:35 AM   #36
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Stunning piece(s) from Omega.
Hats off !
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 03:12 PM   #37
MohiMedia
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26405CE
I have never fallen so hard for a watch. Seriously.
It's glorious. I love the finishing on the subdials.

If I had to invent a complaint, it would be that the caseback looks more like something I'd expect from De Bethune and from Omega I'd expect something similar to the caliber 321 but dialed up to 11.
Columbia University Alum
MohiMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 04:01 PM   #38
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
As I said earlier … I guess Omega is damned if they do and damned if they don’t.
It's the same for everything Brian.
The whole world is full of compromises, but I suspect the whole watch industry is full of a whole grab bag of them in every facet of everything they do.
At least that's what it looks like from the outside
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 04:53 PM   #39
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Who knows what Omega's "strategy" is, if they even have one?? I just don't get what Omega is thinking. Between this and the "MARSTIMER" and other various "x33" Speedmasters.... it's like, "Let's release an entire movement/watch and hope a handful of people will actually buy it!"

I wish they just focused on making some select, few flagship models as perfect as possible, instead of constantly releasing "limited editions" or other hodgepodge, half-baked ideations that come off as desperate money-grabs, like this "chrono chime" facepalm. Realistically, who in their right mind is going to drop half a mil on this, and why? They'd be lucky to sell 10 of these.

Where is the updated Speedy with the tool-less microadjusting clasp?? Where is the Aqua Terra with a thinner case profile and better tapered bracelet? Why does their premier ceramic diver still feature a hideous bracelet that screams "1990s" and is just simply uncomfortable, unrefined, bulky, and awful?

Omega will always be a 2nd class brand until they learn to refine and perfect their flagship lines, and control their catalog by trimming the fat.
Old 29 October 2022, 11:16 PM   #40
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Who knows what Omega's "strategy" is, if they even have one?? I just don't get what Omega is thinking. Between this and the "MARSTIMER" and other various "x33" Speedmasters.... it's like, "Let's release an entire movement/watch and hope a handful of people will actually buy it!"

I wish they just focused on making some select, few flagship models as perfect as possible, instead of constantly releasing "limited editions" or other hodgepodge, half-baked ideations that come off as desperate money-grabs, like this "chrono chime" facepalm. Realistically, who in their right mind is going to drop half a mil on this, and why? They'd be lucky to sell 10 of these.

Where is the updated Speedy with the tool-less microadjusting clasp?? Where is the Aqua Terra with a thinner case profile and better tapered bracelet? Why does their premier ceramic diver still feature a hideous bracelet that screams "1990s" and is just simply uncomfortable, unrefined, bulky, and awful?

Omega will always be a 2nd class brand until they learn to refine and perfect their flagship lines, and control their catalog by trimming the fat.
I like the brand but don’t disagree with your comments. A bit of focus and refinement would be welcomed. Too many offerings and still mostly too thick but getting a bit better
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 11:21 PM   #41
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I like the brand but don’t disagree with your comments. A bit of focus and refinement would be welcomed. Too many offerings and still mostly too thick but getting a bit better
Point taken and I don’t disagree on some levels

I think this particular reference show cases their desire to create something truly spectacular, which was kind of the point of the post
Old 29 October 2022, 11:52 PM   #42
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Point taken and I don’t disagree on some levels

I think this particular reference show cases their desire to create something truly spectacular, which was kind of the point of the post
This watch is insane, I got off topic. I love it and it shows omega can put out some amazing stuff
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 11:55 PM   #43
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
This watch is insane, I got off topic. I love it and it shows omega can put out some amazing stuff
I knew where you were coming from all good

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 13 November 2022, 03:06 AM   #44
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
This is a pair of technological masterpieces from Omega.. where do I start? Sedna Gold to enhance the minute repeater chime, hand guilloche, aventurine dial, 5hz, hand-finishes front/back, grand feu enamel, split second chronograph and minute repeater (minute, 10s and second each separated by a 1.5s pause). Even the box is nice. Well done Omega this is a great release.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2022, 03:25 AM   #45
jingerman
"TRF" Member

Wow the music box concept is refreshing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jingerman is offline   Reply With Quote