The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19 May 2020, 11:21 PM   #1
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Lorier Gemini Chronograph Review - "Vintage Inspired"

I've been on somewhat of a microbrand purchasing spree, and the next victim is the Lorier Gemini.

I've been hearing so many great things about Lorier so I decided to go ahead and purchase a Gemini Chronograph to check it out. I spent about a week with this watch before writing this review.

You can find my detailed review here: https://www.beansandbezels.com/main/lorier-gemini

And a hands-on video review here:
https://youtu.be/14WrXv7d2po

To quickly summarize,

Words of caution:
  • Watch is incredibly loud
  • 5 ATM WR
  • Form over function approach to chronograph operation - coin edge bezel is a bit smooth and I found myself slipping while trying to adjust it. The glass distortion (which I love), makes it hard to properly track the timing seconds hand while operating the chronograph movement
  • Bezel slack (but this is not a problem since it's a 24 click, 12 hour bezel)
  • Movement doesn't inspire confidence as a robust everyday watch - NOTE: I don't have objective evidence to validate this claim, but this is how it felt to me so treat my opinion hear with a pinch of salt (or many pinches of salt).
  • Plexiglass instead of Sapphire

Things I loved:
  • Dial design and execution is incredible
  • The use of plexiglass actually adds TONS of character to the legibility and 'vintage feel'
  • Case design is simple but amazingly so
  • Dimensions are perfect for my 6.25" wrist and the watch wears VERY well
  • I appreciate the 12 hour bezel instead of a tachymeter scale - I was tracking a second timezone
  • Captures almost the entire vintage watch experience without the worry of dying components, franken movements etc.

As my review of this watch has opinions that conflict with the general consensus, I feel the need to include this disclaimer which should be fairly obvious to most:

Quote:
These are my opinions and your mileage with this watch may vary. My personal collection is primarily robust diver / tool watches so my perspective is clearly biased towards such watches. I tried to be as objective as possible, but this may not always be the case.
Here are some photographs that I took of the watch (you can also find them in the main review):

Thanks for reading and feel free to continue any discussions here!
thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chronograph , gemini , lorier , review , vintage