The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 17 May 2021, 01:10 PM   #1
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Dear Experts--How often should my Rolex be pressure tested?

I've read different things on different forums about this. Obviously, I recognize that it is a lot more expensive to overhaul a watch that suffers water damage than it is to replace gaskets. I also assume that gaskets/gasket lubricants have improved substantially since some of the things I've read on forums dating 10+ years back.

I'm going to be doing quite a lot of swimming and some diving this summer (under 60 feet) and I plan to wear my watch while doing this now and going forward given that is what it is made for. It's about a 2.5 year old 114060 and I am the second owner. Presumably, it might not need movement service for another 5-8 years, but I know that gaskets can degrade in that time. Usage will be fresh, brackish, and salt.

With regular aquatic usage, how often should my watch be pressure tested?
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 03:23 PM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

If you're in salt water frequently I'd get it pressure tested every year and maybe have the watch case taken apart every 5 years to replace all the gaskets.

I've seen 10ish year old Rolexes that passed a pressure test but when taken apart the gaskets were rock hard and the crystal gasket simply shattered. Better safe than sorry IMO.

SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 05:28 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
If you're in salt water frequently I'd get it pressure tested every year and maybe have the watch case taken apart every 5 years to replace all the gaskets.

I've seen 10ish year old Rolexes that passed a pressure test but when taken apart the gaskets were rock hard and the crystal gasket simply shattered. Better safe than sorry IMO.

Have to agree when I was working as a Padi dive instructor used to pressure check my SD twice a year and service every 3-5 years without fail.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 09:20 PM   #4
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Once a year with more frequent service.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 10:10 PM   #5
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
I can understand the need for frequent pressure checks of Rolexes used in the water. How about for those of us who don't get near the water?
Old 17 May 2021, 10:44 PM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
I can understand the need for frequent pressure checks of Rolexes used in the water. How about for those of us who don't get near the water?
For regular use I'd just get it serviced every 10 years and not worry about it
Old 19 May 2021, 10:02 AM   #7
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Bas, Peter, and William - thank you so much! I really appreciate it! I'll plan to service more frequently.

I talked to a Rolex AD and they said that they would not pressure test a Rolex under warranty and instead would send it to RSC for this. It looks like there are inexpensive (bit over 100 USD) pressure testers on Amazon that have a pretty straightforward function of placing the watch in a cylinder chamber with the watch suspended above a water line, the air in the chamber is compressed allowing the pressure inside the watch to build and then equalize over a few minutes, after which the watch is lowered into the water, and then the air pressure is reduced to see how much air leaks out of the watch. Any thoughts on using one these? Is this one of those straight forward things that is reasonably safe or something to avoid like the plague?
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 11:12 PM   #8
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I dive fairly frequently and have on my calendar to pressure test (RSC or other brands service agency) every two years and full service every five years for watches seeing salt water service. Other watches just get serviced per manufacturers recommendation.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 04:40 AM   #9
Mal H.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
My local CW21 has said they won’t do a 300m wet test without a full service. Does that make sense? I’m not doing a full service every year to get a pressure test.
Mal H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 04:52 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal H. View Post
My local CW21 has said they won’t do a 300m wet test without a full service. Does that make sense? I’m not doing a full service every year to get a pressure test.
The watchmaker likely wants to know that all of the seals and gaskets are optimum.

Ask yourself though, do you really need a 300m pressure test, or do you just need to know that it is not overtly leaking. You aren't going to take it much deeper than 30 feet.
Old 28 May 2021, 05:55 AM   #11
Mal H.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The watchmaker likely wants to know that all of the seals and gaskets are optimum.

Ask yourself though, do you really need a 300m pressure test, or do you just need to know that it is not overtly leaking. You aren't going to take it much deeper than 30 feet.
I wouldn’t bother with a dive < 30 ft. I dive regularly to 80-100 ft and occasionally to 170-250 feet. Obviously not 1000 ft, but enough to need more than the dry test.

Added:

They also didn’t offer to change the seals and do the test. They wanted to do a full service. Why do I need a perfectly working movement serviced to get new seals?
Old 28 May 2021, 06:13 AM   #12
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Dear Experts--How often should my Rolex be pressure tested?

Watchmaker’s time is worth more $ per hour than the price one is willing to pay for a wet test.

Here’s an example of what sometimes happens with a wet test

So I’m guessing your watchmaker knows why he doesn’t do these tests without a full overhaul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 06:21 AM   #13
Mal H.
"TRF" Member

New trustworthy seals? Sure. Full movement service? Why?
Old 28 May 2021, 03:32 PM   #14
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
I wouldn’t bother with a dive < 30 ft. I dive regularly to 80-100 ft and occasionally to 170-250 feet. Obviously not 1000 ft, but enough to need more than the dry test.

Added:

They also didn’t offer to change the seals and do the test. They wanted to do a full service. Why do I need a perfectly working movement serviced to get new seals?
Because they don't think it is worth their time and effort and rather want to do a full service.
I'd find a different place.
Old 28 May 2021, 04:16 PM   #15
Mal H.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because they don't think it is worth their time and effort and rather want to do a full service.
I plan on it. Thank God there are Rolex certified watchmakers on every corner.
Old 28 May 2021, 05:31 PM   #16
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post

Given the cost of service you'd be better off buying a Timegrapher and monitoring. Then you can get it serviced when it needs to be rather than possibly raising your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 05:31 AM   #17
lennywilkins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Presumably a competent watchmaker would rather strip the case down and inspect each component prior to subjecting a watch to a 300m wet pressure test. Seals are all well and good but its no good if you've got an old/faulty component within the case assembly.
lennywilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 07:20 AM   #18
Mal H.
"TRF" Member

I'm not trying to be difficult, but there seems to be mixed signals.

On one hand we're advised to have the watch pressure checked once a year and have it serviced a little more often. Fine. No problem.

On the other we're told watchmakers are too busy to do pressure tests which is a problem if you want to follow the above advice and reduce the risk of flooding your watch.

So, what am I misunderstanding? These annual pressure tests that members are advising...do you all mean 10 BAR dry tests? Or am I expected to pay for a full service and be without my watch 4-6 weeks per year just to keep its waterproof rating?
Old 29 May 2021, 04:04 PM   #19
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
I usually go to my AD for a pressure test. It is a 10 bar dry test, all of the staff know how to do it as far as i know. I only use my watches for swimming and I think that is OK. It costs something like $20, but they have so far always waived it when I want to pay.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 09:06 PM   #20
lennywilkins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
I'm not trying to be difficult, but there seems to be mixed signals.

On one hand we're advised to have the watch pressure checked once a year and have it serviced a little more often. Fine. No problem.

On the other we're told watchmakers are too busy to do pressure tests which is a problem if you want to follow the above advice and reduce the risk of flooding your watch.

So, what am I misunderstanding? These annual pressure tests that members are advising...do you all mean 10 BAR dry tests? Or am I expected to pay for a full service and be without my watch 4-6 weeks per year just to keep its waterproof rating?
This is unnecessary and no component watchmaker would advise this

Have the watch serviced every 5 years, at which point the seals are replaced. They are then good for the next 5 years. You've then got nothing to worry about.
lennywilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 11:11 AM   #21
RollieAMI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1675 MK1
Great recommendations and as someone who spends a fair bit of time in salt water..these tips were extremely helpful
RollieAMI is offline   Reply With Quote