The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 June 2021, 05:13 PM   #1
Jimbo
Banned

Sinn U2 Issues - Could Use Some Advice

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a Sinn U2 non-T watch on secondary market. It was a private sale by the first owner. The seller has a good reputation, and all the paperwork and serial numbers check out.

The U2 has a UTC function to track another time zone. It’s not a true traveler’s GMT function, so only the UTC hand can be quick changed.

The watch seems to work fine, but the UTC hand does not perfectly align with the local hour hand. For example, if the local time is 12:00 noon, the UTC hand will say something closer to 12:15. This is consistent for each hour.

It’s not a deal killer, but it’s annoying. It seems to have been a problem with U2s early on, but this was a January 2012 original purchase.

Has anyone that has owned Sinn with a UTC function experienced anything similar, or if you have owned a U2, did you experience the same?

If so, what did you do about it? How did you fix it? How much did it cost as the watch is now 6 months out of warranty?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 05:43 PM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Hi everyone. I recently purchased a Sinn U2 non-T watch on secondary market. It was a private sale by the first owner. The seller has a good reputation, and all the paperwork and serial numbers check out.

The U2 has a UTC function to track another time zone. It’s not a true traveler’s GMT function, so only the UTC hand can be quick changed.

The watch seems to work fine, but the UTC hand does not perfectly align with the local hour hand. For example, if the local time is 12:00 noon, the UTC hand will say something closer to 12:15. This is consistent for each hour.

It’s not a deal killer, but it’s annoying. It seems to have been a problem with U2s early on, but this was a January 2012 original purchase.

Has anyone that has owned Sinn with a UTC function experienced anything similar, or if you have owned a U2, did you experience the same?

If so, what did you do about it? How did you fix it? How much did it cost as the watch is now 6 months out of warranty?

Thanks

I own a 756 UTC, the second time zone aligns perfectly as I leave it hidden most of the time.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 05:46 PM   #3
Jimbo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I own a 756 UTC, the second time zone aligns perfectly as I leave it hidden most of the time.

What do you mean by “leave it hidden most of the time”?

Old 12 June 2021, 07:06 PM   #4
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
What do you mean by “leave it hidden most of the time”?

The second time zone on a 756 is also 12 hour so you can park it under the home time if you only want a single time zone showing.
Old 12 June 2021, 07:18 PM   #5
Jimbo
Banned

Quote:
The second time zone on a 756 is also 12 hour so you can park it under the home time if you only want a single time zone showing.

Ah, I see. The U2 has a 24 hour UTC hand, so can’t hide the 4th hand.

But if you don’t hide your 4th hand, it moves spot on with the hour hand?

Old 12 June 2021, 07:28 PM   #6
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ah, I see. The U2 has a 24 hour UTC hand, so can’t hide the 4th hand.

But if you don’t hide your 4th hand, it moves spot on with the hour hand?

Yes, perfectly in time.
When you adjust the 24 hour hand, I assume the increments don’t allow you to set it perfectly? So both at noon, the 24 hour hand is slightly out?
Old 12 June 2021, 07:35 PM   #7
Jimbo
Banned

Quote:
Yes, perfectly in time.
When you adjust the 24 hour hand, I assume the increments don’t allow you to set it perfectly? So both at noon, the 24 hour hand is slightly out?

Yes, there is no incremental adjustment of the 24 hour hand. It clicks into position in discrete steps. If you do try to finesse the position with the crown in the 2nd position, it clicks back into to out of place position when you push back in the crown to get ready to wind it closed.

Old 12 June 2021, 09:23 PM   #8
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, there is no incremental adjustment of the 24 hour hand. It clicks into position in discrete steps. If you do try to finesse the position with the crown in the 2nd position, it clicks back into to out of place position when you push back in the crown to get ready to wind it closed.

Unfortunately sounds like an adjustment is needed to the hand position to correct the alignment.
Old 12 June 2021, 09:28 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
A picture is worth a thousand words

Sorry to hear OP. Sounds like you need service to adjust.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 10:41 PM   #10
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
My 757 UTC, purchased from the original owner on Helmut Sinn's 100th birthday, has an independent hour hand for the second time zone. It aligns perfectly and as stated above, can be hidden behind the 12 hour hand if desired.

The chronograph hand started to reset a minute past zero after about a year of ownership. Sent it to WatchBuys for service. It was fixed, complete service, including the copper sulphate capsule, at no charge to me. Been flawless ever since.

I would send it in and you should be good to go.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_P1270887_1024.jpg (272.4 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_P1270905_1024.jpg (264.6 KB, 104 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 01:14 AM   #11
Jimbo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
My 757 UTC, purchased from the original owner on Helmut Sinn's 100th birthday, has an independent hour hand for the second time zone. It aligns perfectly and as stated above, can be hidden behind the 12 hour hand if desired.

The chronograph hand started to reset a minute past zero after about a year of ownership. Sent it to WatchBuys for service. It was fixed, complete service, including the copper sulphate capsule, at no charge to me. Been flawless ever since.

I would send it in and you should be good to go.
dP

I have a picture. See the UTC hand not exactly at the hour mark? Would you risk sending it to a trusted watch repair shop that is not Sinn or RGM?

Old 13 June 2021, 01:45 AM   #12
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
I have a picture. See the UTC hand not exactly at the hour mark? Would you risk sending it to a trusted watch repair shop that is not Sinn or RGM?

Yes, sure do. That should be an easy fix. However, they might require a full service as well, but maybe not. If you intend to keep it, well worth the effort.

I have a great local watchmaker and took my 757 to him first. His recommendation was to send it to the US Sinn authorized service center, RGM. Also, another advantage of sending to RGM is they refill the watch w/ argon gas [or is it nitrogen?] during service to help dissipate any possible future moisture issues.

https://deployant.com/9-reasons-to-enjoy-sinn/
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 05:46 AM   #13
Jimbo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Yes, sure do. That should be an easy fix. However, they might require a full service as well, but maybe not. If you intend to keep it, well worth the effort.

I have a great local watchmaker and took my 757 to him first. His recommendation was to send it to the US Sinn authorized service center, RGM. Also, another advantage of sending to RGM is they refill the watch w/ argon gas [or is it nitrogen?] during service to help dissipate any possible future moisture issues.

https://deployant.com/9-reasons-to-enjoy-sinn/
dP

I know. That makes sense, but the costs if sending it to RGM and/or Sinn Germany scares the crap out of me. I don’t care about the shipping costs, but $500 plus for a check up plus duties if it does get sent to Germany plus the time sink. Yes you have to pay to play, but geez. I just got the thing. Wondering if it’s worth it if the watch otherwise runs okay.

Old 11 September 2021, 04:14 AM   #14
johnnylarue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know. That makes sense, but the costs if sending it to RGM and/or Sinn Germany scares the crap out of me. I don’t care about the shipping costs, but $500 plus for a check up plus duties if it does get sent to Germany plus the time sink. Yes you have to pay to play, but geez. I just got the thing. Wondering if it’s worth it if the watch otherwise runs okay.

I realize this is ancient history now and you’ve probably decided to live with it, but I thought I’d chime in to remind you that opening the case on this thing will release the moisture repelling gas and likely expose the copper sulphate capsule to moisture in the air… In other words, you’ll be undoing one of the U2’s more ‘high tech’ features if you don’t get it serviced at RGM.

That being said, I wouldn’t blame you for prioritizing being able to look at your watch without going crazy over, say, being able to take it on a 2000m dive next week, so maybe a few cubic centimetres of gas is an acceptable price to pay to maintain your sanity. ;)
johnnylarue is offline   Reply With Quote