The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 June 2021, 11:32 AM   #1
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Gauthier?

Can anyone with hands on experience speak about the ordering process + ownership? The Insight Micro-Rotor seems like the perfect watch.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 06:07 AM   #2
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Hi watcheater, I am not an owner yet but have Gauthier on my list for sometime now. I had the opportunity to meet with him and discuss his watches, production, Logical One, philosophy, and music and I will get one of his watches. 100% sure. I love them.

I need to learn more about mechanics and finishing but from I see and comparing other brands, Gauthier offers genuine and real value… hard work to achieve the product and his company strives for perfection.

Insight-Micro Rotor is my top favorite, too. I love that piece. I wore it at the factory and adore it. Unfortunately, the ten piece production of the color combo I wanted were all sold out. I plan to go back to the Manufacture to explore other ideas for this model.

Grab these as they are not in the collector’s list yet. He makes less than 50 watches a year, sometimes 35 or a little more. Even with a little popularity, getting a watch from Gauthier would be a problem. FPJ with 800 watches a year now seems like a lot to me. ; ) - kidding but an interesting comparison.

Curious to see what else is coming now that he is discontinuing the Logical One.

As far as buying, I’d go straight to him if you can and get a trip to Geneva, visit the factory, and get to meet the maker. No cooler watch story.

I promise to share my experience when I purchase it but it seems like a lengthy road. Let me know if you have any particular questions.
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 06:37 AM   #3
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

I am fortunate enough to own a Gauthier HMS Ten Platinum. I can confirm rockdrock's impressions of Romain; he is accessible, friendly, passionate, and accommodating. His work is at the top level of Swiss finissage and his designs are unique and elegant engineering based takes on traditional movements. His watches need to be serviced at the atelier, but they are not finicky and shouldn't be troublesome. Recommended service interval is 3-5 years.

He will gladly customize a piece for you if you desire, and is happy to sell to you direct. That said, I also know of a superb AD in the US that has a close relationship with Romain, as well as some interesting inventory on hand.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
athens7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 06:39 AM   #4
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
Insight-Micro Rotor is my top favorite, too. I love that piece. I wore it at the factory and adore it. Unfortunately, the ten piece production of the color combo I wanted were all sold out.
If the combination you desire is the Platinum/blue enamel dial variant, I know where you can find one BNIB from a RG AD.
Old 12 June 2021, 07:36 AM   #5
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

50m WR so should be surface swimmable.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 09:20 AM   #6
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi watcheater, I am not an owner yet but have Gauthier on my list for sometime now. I had the opportunity to meet with him and discuss his watches, production, Logical One, philosophy, and music and I will get one of his watches. 100% sure. I love them.

I need to learn more about mechanics and finishing but from I see and comparing other brands, Gauthier offers genuine and real value… hard work to achieve the product and his company strives for perfection.

Insight-Micro Rotor is my top favorite, too. I love that piece. I wore it at the factory and adore it. Unfortunately, the ten piece production of the color combo I wanted were all sold out. I plan to go back to the Manufacture to explore other ideas for this model.

Grab these as they are not in the collector’s list yet. He makes less than 50 watches a year, sometimes 35 or a little more. Even with a little popularity, getting a watch from Gauthier would be a problem. FPJ with 800 watches a year now seems like a lot to me. ; ) - kidding but an interesting comparison.

Curious to see what else is coming now that he is discontinuing the Logical One.

As far as buying, I’d go straight to him if you can and get a trip to Geneva, visit the factory, and get to meet the maker. No cooler watch story.

I promise to share my experience when I purchase it but it seems like a lengthy road. Let me know if you have any particular questions.
Great information, thank you. I ended up reaching out for a price quote, and then found out he's into guitars as well. My first 'real' company was a guitar pedal co and a guitar retailer, so it was nice meeting another gear nerd. He has good taste in amps too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athens7 View Post
I am fortunate enough to own a Gauthier HMS Ten Platinum. I can confirm rockdrock's impressions of Romain; he is accessible, friendly, passionate, and accommodating. His work is at the top level of Swiss finissage and his designs are unique and elegant engineering based takes on traditional movements. His watches need to be serviced at the atelier, but they are not finicky and shouldn't be troublesome. Recommended service interval is 3-5 years.

He will gladly customize a piece for you if you desire, and is happy to sell to you direct. That said, I also know of a superb AD in the US that has a close relationship with Romain, as well as some interesting inventory on hand.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
I didn't realize they'll do custom work. There are a handful of very small tweaks I'd love. Nothing crazy, just some guilloche work. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
50m WR so should be surface swimmable.
In your case, patient slobber
Old 12 June 2021, 01:18 PM   #7
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Great information, thank you. I ended up reaching out for a price quote, and then found out he's into guitars as well. My first 'real' company was a guitar pedal co and a guitar retailer, so it was nice meeting another gear nerd. He has good taste in amps too.

I didn't realize they'll do custom work. There are a handful of very small tweaks I'd love. Nothing crazy, just some guilloche work. Thanks!

In your case, patient slobber

Awesome! Funny, I played guitar for years so that was also a topic. He likes electric a lot. So interesting. There might be an unconscious design queue in the Insight Micro Rotor that may resemble a guitar shape. ; ) keep us posted on your journey. Glad you linked up with him.

On your customization request, don’t want to speak for him, but I do remember a small discussion of clients requesting custom finishes on their watches.

Me? I would faint if I could get the IMR with part of that special engraving used for the Logicals:

https://youtu.be/NIAa-TQY8uw
Old 12 June 2021, 01:26 PM   #8
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If the combination you desire is the Platinum/blue enamel dial variant, I know where you can find one BNIB from a RG AD.

Thanks Athens. That is a lovely platinum piece but I am looking for his white gold model. I just saw this pop up recently too.

I would be very open to the idea for a reasonably priced pre-owned HMS model too But I should focus on that IMR.

By the way, congrats on your HMS. I’d love to see pictures, wrist shots, and especially movement pics.
Old 15 June 2021, 12:06 AM   #9
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Awesome! Funny, I played guitar for years so that was also a topic. He likes electric a lot. So interesting. There might be an unconscious design queue in the Insight Micro Rotor that may resemble a guitar shape. ; ) keep us posted on your journey. Glad you linked up with him.

On your customization request, don’t want to speak for him, but I do remember a small discussion of clients requesting custom finishes on their watches.

Me? I would faint if I could get the IMR with part of that special engraving used for the Logicals:

https://youtu.be/NIAa-TQY8uw
Ah awesome! Here's my pedal company: www.horizondevices.com. Get me 1 step closer to that Gauthier
Old 15 June 2021, 09:45 AM   #10
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
By the way, congrats on your HMS. I’d love to see pictures, wrist shots, and especially movement pics.
As requested:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6263D.JPG (264.3 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5919.JPG (205.6 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5712.jpeg (226.2 KB, 277 views)
Old 15 June 2021, 11:46 AM   #11
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As requested:
That is a cool piece, reminds me a little of my Breguet 7097 with the time only and retrograde seconds. I assume the wheel in the back is how you set the time? Surprised at all the scratches which, I assume, are from wrist hair, though.

I'd like to add his Fusee and chain piece to my collection one day, truly remarkable watchmaker.
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 03:43 AM   #12
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

The large toothed wheel is the crown, used for both winding and time setting. Platinum will scratch, but I bought the watch as NOS with shop wear, so almost all of this wear predates my ownership. It is a good example of why watches should be wrapped when in the AD, or dummy pieces should be used for display and interaction rather than the new watch itself.

I expect that Romain will address those scratches when I get the watch serviced.
Old 16 June 2021, 03:43 AM   #13
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As requested:
@athens, thanks for the share. Exceptional pics. Congrats again for this beauty. What was your inspiration behind deciding on a R.Gauthier? It is not everyday I chat with a RG collector.
Old 17 June 2021, 09:52 AM   #14
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

I appreciate Romain's background as a micro engineer. Similar to Max Busser, Romain approaches the industry from a slightly different perspective. I love Max's approach and philosophy, but his aesthetic doesn't speak to me. At the end of the day, I love a classical approach to design. I'm a huge fan of Laurent Ferrier, A. Lange & Sohne, and some brands I cannot hope to afford, like Beat Haldimann and Jean Daniel Nicolas.

Romain blends Dufour like finissage and classical watchmaking ethos with contemporary engineering approaches to movement design. Look at his proprietary lever design (a triangle instead of an anchor), the going train wheels with circular spokes, and his unique balance wheel. All are designed with an understanding of how force is applied through a movement. The goal is to offset torque that reduces precision. The combination of the classic and the modern is irresistible to me.
Old 4 August 2021, 10:37 AM   #15
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I appreciate Romain's background as a micro engineer. Similar to Max Busser, Romain approaches the industry from a slightly different perspective. I love Max's approach and philosophy, but his aesthetic doesn't speak to me. At the end of the day, I love a classical approach to design. I'm a huge fan of Laurent Ferrier, A. Lange & Sohne, and some brands I cannot hope to afford, like Beat Haldimann and Jean Daniel Nicolas.

Romain blends Dufour like finissage and classical watchmaking ethos with contemporary engineering approaches to movement design. Look at his proprietary lever design (a triangle instead of an anchor), the going train wheels with circular spokes, and his unique balance wheel. All are designed with an understanding of how force is applied through a movement. The goal is to offset torque that reduces precision. The combination of the classic and the modern is irresistible to me.
Yes he really does seem like the perfect mix of forward thinking design and engineering along with classical watchmaking.

Really hoping this year goes to plan, and then a Logical 1 :D
Old 28 August 2021, 09:50 PM   #16
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

@watcheater, I really think Romain is going to come up with something fantastic this year at OnlyWatch and then hit us with GPHG winner. The teaser preview looks interesting and the case seems unusual.

I will get one of his watches but which one is the big debate now.