The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 January 2021, 05:21 AM   #31
amateurcollector
"TRF" Member

Preowned Lange is the last free lunch in watch collecting IMO. Even though prices have gone up recently, I still see a 30-40% discount from retail (sometimes more given the recent price increase). Grand Lange 1’s go for mid $20’s on a mid $40’s retail.
amateurcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 06:30 AM   #32
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurcollector View Post
Preowned Lange is the last free lunch in watch collecting IMO. Even though prices have gone up recently, I still see a 30-40% discount from retail (sometimes more given the recent price increase). Grand Lange 1’s go for mid $20’s on a mid $40’s retail.
shhhh please don't tell anyone that it costs less to buy that than a grey daytona C
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 08:30 AM   #33
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
A. Lange & Sohne 2nd hand market

It’s going to be an interesting year for Lange and I am becoming a bigger fan by the day. I am actually test driving the White Gold Odysseus right now and this watch is a stunner (even though I won’t say it’s perfect).

I think this will likely happen slowly, but Step 1 is going to be to get rid of the expected 20% to 25% discount at MSRP. I see that fading away. If it doesn’t fade, there’s little that will happen in terms of value retention.

Then I suspect we’ll start seeing some price increases in the secondary market. Most models see 30% to 50% discount on the secondary market...which is kind of crazy. I don’t know how that will progress, but I’d guess that the Zeitwerk, Datograph, 1815 Chrono, and Lange 1 models will be the first to benefit.

I know I’m excited to see what happens!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 January 2021, 09:33 AM   #34
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Guys, Im one who has been stung on ALS resale. I’ll believe it when I see it. My white gold map Lange 1 is up to like 44k msrp. I’m still seeing mid 20s on resale. Obvi I wish the brand well, as my watch is amazing
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 10:08 AM   #35
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Guys, Im one who has been stung on ALS resale. I’ll believe it when I see it. My white gold map Lange 1 is up to like 44k msrp. I’m still seeing mid 20s on resale. Obvi I wish the brand well, as my watch is amazing

That thing is shoddy as hell, I’ll do you a favor and give you a sub for it
Old 16 January 2021, 01:29 PM   #36
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Watch is amazing anyway. Worth every penny. Love mine after being inspired by your pics along the way to push me over the edge.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:35 PM   #37
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Watch is amazing anyway. Worth every penny. Love mine after being inspired by your pics along the way to push me over the edge.
Never knew you had one. Enjoy. Fits so good, like a glove. The blue sky and stars amaze me every time
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:07 PM   #38
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Langes are ridiculous bargains new or used. My top two wanted watches on my list are a white dial steel ceramic Daytona and a pink gold 1815 Annual Calendar. They're currently the same market price new, which is insane. I know which one I'm buying next and which one I'll probably never get.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 04:22 AM   #39
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

This is 100% accurate. I had a Saxonia Moonphase that I bought second-hand that I decided to move out of earlier this year and didn’t get hurt too much, but I still lost money.

Here’s the thing. I sense the secondary prices are firming for 1815 Chronograph, Datos, and Zeitwerks. Of course, the Odysseus carries a huge premium.

All of these are positives, but selling to dealers to get out is still harsh and likely will be for quite a while.

I feel this is like the fuel market - When oil prices rise, fuel rises immediately. But when oil tanks, it takes months to see any sort of savings as a consumer.

I’ve heard people say ALS is the next FPJ...I don’t know about that. Personally, I love many more Langes than I do Journes, but I believe I may be in the minority there. ALS also produces 5x the amount of watches as FPJ...

ALS still has some work to do as a brand, and all of this is going to take time. While I just absolutely love Lange, I think the safe approach is only buy something you’re going to stay in 3+ years and then see what happens. There’s no guarantee you still won’t get stung if you want out.

Old 17 January 2021, 10:00 AM   #40
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
It’s going to be an interesting year for Lange and I am becoming a bigger fan by the day. I am actually test driving the White Gold Odysseus right now and this watch is a stunner (even though I won’t say it’s perfect).

I don’t know how that will progress, but I’d guess that the Zeitwerk, Datograph, 1815 Chrono, and Lange 1 models will be the first to benefit.

Having had the chance to get the WG Odysseus on the wrist I will say I’m smitten. Although I think I need a bracelet.

Re prices, the Dato (new and old) and ZW already appear to have picked up on the gray/used market in the last year or so. Nothing crazy, but enough for it to be noticeable.

I all for Lange controlling points of sale and therefore discounting. And then alongside that hopefully they’ll up their game a little (or at least get back to where they were).
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 03:11 AM   #41
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Having had the chance to get the WG Odysseus on the wrist I will say I’m smitten. Although I think I need a bracelet.

Re prices, the Dato (new and old) and ZW already appear to have picked up on the gray/used market in the last year or so. Nothing crazy, but enough for it to be noticeable.

I all for Lange controlling points of sale and therefore discounting. And then alongside that hopefully they’ll up their game a little (or at least get back to where they were).

I’m sure many won’t agree since the Odysseus seems to be rather polarizing, but after spending a couple of days with the WG Odysseus on rubber, this is about as close to a “perfect watch” I have ever had on my wrist. The dial is simply stunning. The layout is perfect...everything you need at a glance. It’s “hefty”, but not too hefty. I love rubber straps and I love the look much more than their SS bracelet (however the rubber strap would fit me better if Lange made a short).

The one thing I can’t get over is the “integrated” portion between the lugs. It just doesn’t gel to me with the rubber and it gives the watch a somewhat “blocky” appearance. For this reason, I wouldn’t be a buyer of this model unless I somehow warm up to this look, but I’m encouraged nonetheless as Lange seems to be closing in on perfection for this model. Hopefully we will see something later this year...

I agree prices have picked up some and seem to be on an upward trend. However, dealers aren’t budging and their offers are hard to hear. I do understand their position in many cases as Langes simply do not move quickly in most cases and thus they demand the 30%+ margin. I hope this starts to change...

Old 18 January 2021, 04:25 AM   #42
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
I’m sure many won’t agree since the Odysseus seems to be rather polarizing, but after spending a couple of days with the WG Odysseus on rubber, this is about as close to a “perfect watch” I have ever had on my wrist. The dial is simply stunning. The layout is perfect...everything you need at a glance. It’s “hefty”, but not too hefty. I love rubber straps and I love the look much more than their SS bracelet (however the rubber strap would fit me better if Lange made a short).

The one thing I can’t get over is the “integrated” portion between the lugs. It just doesn’t gel to me with the rubber and it gives the watch a somewhat “blocky” appearance. For this reason, I wouldn’t be a buyer of this model unless I somehow warm up to this look, but I’m encouraged nonetheless as Lange seems to be closing in on perfection for this model. Hopefully we will see something later this year...

I agree prices have picked up some and seem to be on an upward trend. However, dealers aren’t budging and their offers are hard to hear. I do understand their position in many cases as Langes simply do not move quickly in most cases and thus they demand the 30%+ margin. I hope this starts to change...

I’m not a huge fan of the WG strap integration either. I’m not against a rubber strap and I prefer the grey face, but as it stands, with its bracelet I much prefer the steel version.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:36 AM   #43
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Rubber works.

Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:57 AM   #44
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Rubber works.

That’s a great pairing Russell
Old 18 January 2021, 06:07 AM   #45
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Rubber works.

Holy sh*t...You just literally made me drool. I won’t get an Odysseus allocation until early 2022 and have thought I’d take some time and decide what I like best, but I think you just cinched it for me.

I hope you don’t mind when I copy this exact combo...My God this is beautiful. Well done!!!

Old 18 January 2021, 09:24 AM   #46
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rubber works.

Now that’s how you put a strap onto the Odysseus!
Old 18 January 2021, 10:20 AM   #47
vinniebabarooch
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Rubber works.

Beautiful!
If you don’t mind, who made the rubber?
Thanks
vinniebabarooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 10:43 AM   #48
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniebabarooch View Post
Beautiful!
If you don’t mind, who made the rubber?
Thanks
It’s a Jean Rousseau custom strap.

https://youtu.be/MH-w_dijm_g
Old 18 January 2021, 10:51 AM   #49
vinniebabarooch
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Great.
Thank you
vinniebabarooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 09:37 PM   #50
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Glad Piccadilly Arcade could help. They're a great setup...
Old 22 January 2021, 02:28 PM   #51
Brewstanton
"TRF" Member

Hi, I have an opportunity to buy a Lange 1 MP at a great price but it comes without the box and papers. However, it is guaranteed authentic, will this be a problem or not? It is a pre-owned but in gorgeous condition and about 12 years old. Any advice or opinions is much appreciated! Thanks!
Brewstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 02:49 PM   #52
Brewstanton
"TRF" Member

Hi, I have an opportunity to buy a Lange 1 MP at a great price but it comes without the box and papers. However, it is guaranteed authentic, will this be a problem or not? It is a pre-owned but in gorgeous condition and about 12 years old. I plan this to be my last watch and my son will have it. I have saved 2 years for it. Any advice or opinions is much appreciated! Thanks!
Brewstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 03:01 PM   #53
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewstanton View Post
Hi, I have an opportunity to buy a Lange 1 MP at a great price but it comes without the box and papers. However, it is guaranteed authentic, will this be a problem or not? It is a pre-owned but in gorgeous condition and about 12 years old. I plan this to be my last watch and my son will have it. I have saved 2 years for it. Any advice or opinions is much appreciated! Thanks!

You can get a 1-2 year old one with the new AM/PM disc and better stars for around low $30s. The new moon disc is worth the extra money.

If you never plan to sell then only you can answer if the papers are important or not.
Old 22 January 2021, 05:03 PM   #54
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hi, I have an opportunity to buy a Lange 1 MP at a great price but it comes without the box and papers. However, it is guaranteed authentic, will this be a problem or not? It is a pre-owned but in gorgeous condition and about 12 years old. Any advice or opinions is much appreciated! Thanks!
You can get a certificate of authenticity from the factory which isn’t the same as original papers but will add to the piece. Box is easy to get.
If you love it and are buying at the right price then no reason not to go for it.
Old 22 January 2021, 07:00 PM   #55
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
For me no freaking way, pay slightly more and get a full set, they don't make too many of these watches, you want the "perfect" one if you want to keep it and plan to pass it down to your son. It took you a long time to save up for one, do it the right way and have that peace of mind and warranty coverage without any headaches.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 03:04 AM   #56
jpwv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rubber works.

I dont know much about this piece, but have heard a lot of polarizing opinions. My first thought after seeing this pic is...Beautiful and Amazing!
jpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 05:11 AM   #57
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwv View Post
I dont know much about this piece, but have heard a lot of polarizing opinions. My first thought after seeing this pic is...Beautiful and Amazing!
Old 14 February 2021, 08:48 PM   #58
johnlcp
"TRF" Member

I recently starts looking at ALS Odysseus after been rejected few times by Rolex and PP. like to Odysseus day date function which is really practical.

How is the supply and demand of rubber/leather strap Odysseus? Is it easy to buy, what is the waiting time? Do I need to pay premium to own this watch? I see the price is like 20% higher than retail in Chrono24.
johnlcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 09:08 PM   #59
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Rubber works.

Now that pic cuts to the chase and that does work, watch looks cohesive. Orange is a fun colour but black with blue stitches and blue with white stitches would look even better I presume.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 12:41 AM   #60
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Now that pic cuts to the chase and that does work, watch looks cohesive. Orange is a fun colour but black with blue stitches and blue with white stitches would look even better I presume.

Can’t help with blue and white but here is blue and dark dark red.