The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 23 July 2021, 12:32 AM   #31
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbbc View Post
Wouldn’t say that, boutiques are fairly bare. As others indicated, Bangkok, HK and Tokyo are where the serious action is.

There are quite a few grey dealers with AP, but you don’t know if that stock was from Singapore, or shipped in from elsewhere in the region.

Rolex also completely bare in the Boutiques, well loaded in the grey dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do we think this move away from dealers and to more inhouse will start to put the squeeze on the "new" stock availability from greys? Or at least change the market in some meaningful way?
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 01:48 AM   #32
schwuerthi
Banned

Can I ask why people here think that the US is lagging behind or are not doing a good job? I really can't understand the sentiment or the direction of the discussion.

Walk into any AP boutique and they have zero watches (maybe one Code) to show for... So what are they going to sell?

Every time I check in with my favorite sales consultant (he's a really interesting guy) I witness a number of people asking to see something (see above - "can't shown you, don't have it "), inquire about a particular model (they are then told nothing is available or they are to be put on a list) and then walk out

The MSRP for each watch is determined with the only variable being sales tax, which doesn't benefit the company but Uncle Sam. They certainly dont have to discount anything.

I am sure if they had more Tourbillons, ROs, ROO, ROC etc they'd all fly off the shelf...??!
schwuerthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 02:45 AM   #33
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwuerthi View Post
Can I ask why people here think that the US is lagging behind or are not doing a good job? I really can't understand the sentiment or the direction of the discussion.

Walk into any AP boutique and they have zero watches (maybe one Code) to show for... So what are they going to sell?

Every time I check in with my favorite sales consultant (he's a really interesting guy) I witness a number of people asking to see something (see above - "can't shown you, don't have it "), inquire about a particular model (they are then told nothing is available or they are to be put on a list) and then walk out

The MSRP for each watch is determined with the only variable being sales tax, which doesn't benefit the company but Uncle Sam. They certainly dont have to discount anything.

I am sure if they had more Tourbillons, ROs, ROO, ROC etc they'd all fly off the shelf...??!
Seemed to me like much of the discussion centered around there not being any US only LEs.
Old 23 July 2021, 03:15 AM   #34
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwuerthi View Post

The number of points of sale is low relative to the number of states and the population size in general, and the US hasn't been shown any 'love' lately by AP in terms of local specific releases, whereas Europe, Asia and Mid East have.

The US doesn't deserve more pieces for sale, not at the expense of the rest of the world, but it does deserve to be recognised as a significant market. AP can do that simply by releasing a US specific model that the rest of the world has to beg to get an allocation of.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 08:15 AM   #35
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
The US doesn't deserve more pieces for sale, not at the expense of the rest of the world,
That is just like...your opinion man
Old 23 July 2021, 08:21 AM   #36
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
That is just like...your opinion man
I'm quite fond of my own opinion...but it often doesn't align with AP's position, so that bodes well for the US
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 10:53 AM   #37
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
Do we think this move away from dealers and to more inhouse will start to put the squeeze on the "new" stock availability from greys? Or at least change the market in some meaningful way?

In this market, the incentives are completely messed up for everybody involved from AP themselves down to the end consumer. The current problem is not solely because of “dealers” (or what I assume to mean ADs).

Sure, some of their stock finds its way directly to the secondary market. However, just as many watches on the secondary market are coming from end consumers. The reality is many people are not at all interested in the long game or the relationship game, and they don’t even care to own an AP. It becomes a means to an end. That end being something bigger and better in their eyes, or simply doubling their money with putting in very little effort. If you don’t believe me, talk to any AD. They’ll tell you themselves that today it’s almost impossible to separate those genuinely interested in owning an AP (or Patek, or Rolex) from those simply looking to flip or move into something else.

As long as things remain this out of whack and the gap between retail and market value continues to grow, there will never be any sense of normalcy. In fact, there comes a point where you’re more foolish if you don’t flip or sell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 23 July 2021, 11:57 AM   #38
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
In this market, the incentives are completely messed up for everybody involved from AP themselves down to the end consumer. The current problem is not solely because of “dealers” (or what I assume to mean ADs).

Sure, some of their stock finds its way directly to the secondary market. However, just as many watches on the secondary market are coming from end consumers. The reality is many people are not at all interested in the long game or the relationship game, and they don’t even care to own an AP. It becomes a means to an end. That end being something bigger and better in their eyes, or simply doubling their money with putting in very little effort. If you don’t believe me, talk to any AD. They’ll tell you themselves that today it’s almost impossible to separate those genuinely interested in owning an AP (or Patek, or Rolex) from those simply looking to flip or move into something else.

As long as things remain this out of whack and the gap between retail and market value continues to grow, there will never be any sense of normalcy. In fact, there comes a point where you’re more foolish if you don’t flip or sell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We are at that point for some watches.....
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 12:37 PM   #39
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

The whole thing is a joke these days.

Collecting watches sure isn't what it used to be.

Now 5711's are being treated like $DOGE and $BTC.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 01:57 PM   #40
Emery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

You say that, but I think the one thing that separates seasoned collectors from the FOMO crowd is our staying power, and how we're in it for the long haul.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 02:12 PM   #41
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
You say that, but I think the one thing that separates seasoned collectors from the FOMO crowd is our staying power, and how we're in it for the long haul.
That has nothing to do with anything.

I'm in it for the long haul. Been in it for two decades.

It doesn't change the fact that it's not as fun as it used to be before all the fools joined in and started treating watches like bitcoin.
Old 23 July 2021, 02:32 PM   #42
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Hard to be in for the long haul without a second residency in Japan for the LE's!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 02:58 PM   #43
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Hard to be in for the long haul without a second residency in Japan for the LE's!
I hear that!

I do wish I was a client of Yoshida.

Old 23 July 2021, 03:26 PM   #44
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
More concerning would be a Audemars Piguet CEO without a Audemars Piguet on his wrist.

Does he also sell leather jackets?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 03:27 PM   #45
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
More concerning would be a Audemars Piguet CEO without a Audemars Piguet on his wrist.

Does he also sell leather jackets?
Well done.

Old 24 July 2021, 03:22 AM   #46
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

That is exactly right.