The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 20 July 2021, 02:51 AM   #1
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Longing for a RO to own and wear...

Alright...I am just putting this out there. I have searched and talked to a local jeweler that used to sell AP. I cannot figure out how to purchase a 15500 anytime in the next couple years. It seems that flying to a boutique to try to get on a list is a complete waste of time.

I don't want to flip it, I just want to wear it, but I am not going to support the grey market. Is there any possible way to get in line? Anyone here willing to help a guy out (long shot...I know!).

For now, I just have this...a beacon to anyone in town with a relationship (also a long shot):

gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 02:52 AM   #2
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

I can't get a pic to upload...

Old 20 July 2021, 02:54 AM   #3
DadFuelBBQ
"TRF" Member

If you’re still based in Aspen I’d recommend going to the new AP boutique when it opens there this fall. I’d like to think they will have some inventory upon opening
DadFuelBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 02:57 AM   #4
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadFuelBBQ View Post
If you’re still based in Aspen I’d recommend going to the new AP boutique when it opens there this fall. I’d like to think they will have some inventory upon opening
Wait...there is a boutique opening here in the fall!!!

Now that would be awesome. Will it be corporate owned?

Edit:

Just called AP USA and they confirmed a boutique in the fall. Woohoo! I am going to stalk the crap out of them. Best news of the day!
Old 20 July 2021, 03:37 AM   #5
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
I am going to stalk the crap out of them!

Not a typical route to VIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 03:43 AM   #6
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Not a typical route to VIP

It was a joke...Aspen is a very small town. If you live here, you see the same people all the time. At lunch, restaurants, on the trails and slopes.
Old 20 July 2021, 03:46 AM   #7
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Woohoo! I am going to stalk the crap out of them. Best news of the day!
Ha! Made me lol.

Best of luck, OP!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 03:55 AM   #8
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
Ha! Made me lol.

Best of luck, OP!
Thanks. I actually do think this is my best chance and opportunity. New location, small town with mostly tourist wondering in and out, etc. We obviously have the customer base with so many second homes, etc. I think YTD the AVERAGE sale price of a home in my county is $12MM. Last year it was like $10.5MM.

However, there are not a ton of those people living here full time. Easy to stop in and say hi during mud season and between the leaf peepers and the resort opening when town is basically empty.

The big question will be...do they take beer as payment for favors like all the ski shops
Old 20 July 2021, 04:09 AM   #9
KBM

Definitely easier if you're local in a place like Aspen. Seems like a great opportunity to start a genuine relationship with a boutique (which will also be starting from scratch, after all).

On a side note, absolutely love Aspen and Colorado as a whole, the best ski trip I had in my life was a road trip in which 6 of us rented 2 cars in Denver in mid March and drove around the state, from small town to small town (Aspen, Vail, Telluride, Durango, etc), staying around 3 days at each place and enjoying the different ski resorts. Epic scenery, food, mountains... hope to go back soon!
Old 20 July 2021, 04:11 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I know you say you don't want to support the grey market, but in the non-hype years they provided a valuable service to buyers both on price and accessibility, so I would not rule them out on that basis.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 04:31 AM   #11
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
Definitely easier if you're local in a place like Aspen. Seems like a great opportunity to start a genuine relationship with a boutique (which will also be starting from scratch, after all).

On a side note, absolutely love Aspen and Colorado as a whole, the best ski trip I had in my life was a road trip in which 6 of us rented 2 cars in Denver in mid March and drove around the state, from small town to small town (Aspen, Vail, Telluride, Durango, etc), staying around 3 days at each place and enjoying the different ski resorts. Epic scenery, food, mountains... hope to go back soon!
Glad you had a chance to see a lot of towns. Each one has such a different feel. The food in Durango is tremendous for how small it is and not being a "lux" kind of town. Telluride is maybe the best small ski town of them all for a visit. It is a bit too far from the wife's family in Denver for us to live there and you are kind of stuck with just one resort.

Aspen is great because all four mountains have a different feel, there are thousands of small businesses and it is a narrow valley. Only so much land and is getting close to max buildout. Lastly, for my needs, Aspen has the best fly fishing of them all.

Message me if you ever get out this way again...happy to to ski, drink or fish with watch fans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I know you say you don't want to support the grey market, but in the non-hype years they provided a valuable service to buyers both on price and accessibility, so I would not rule them out on that basis.
They have just ruined things the last couple years for everyone that isn't a billionare and doesn't buy to flip. I can't support the current behaviors. Buying a high end watch should be fun and rewarding!
Old 20 July 2021, 04:39 AM   #12
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

They have just ruined things the last couple years for everyone that isn't a billionare and doesn't buy to flip. I can't support the current behaviors. Buying a high end watch should be fun and rewarding!
I agree but then again so should be buying a ferrari, a GT3 porsche or a birkin bag, all these things are not exactly readily available. when there is money to be made ....
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 05:14 AM   #13
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Funny thing...as I mentioned, Aspen is a pretty small town. When I go grab lunch I usually stroll through the area where many of the watch stores are, just to see what is in the window. It is a bit warm here today, so I took a different path to stay in the shade and grab a sandwich from the local euro style deli.

Interesting location choice, although here, you can't really be too picky. Only watch retailer on the block, although there is a jeweler close. It is kind of right in the middle between Panerai, Patek, and the Cartier/Rolex dealer. Less then two blocks from my office...should make the stalking easy....

Old 20 July 2021, 05:21 AM   #14
KBM

Quote:
Glad you had a chance to see a lot of towns. Each one has such a different feel. The food in Durango is tremendous for how small it is and not being a "lux" kind of town. Telluride is maybe the best small ski town of them all for a visit. It is a bit too far from the wife's family in Denver for us to live there and you are kind of stuck with just one resort.

Aspen is great because all four mountains have a different feel, there are thousands of small businesses and it is a narrow valley. Only so much land and is getting close to max buildout. Lastly, for my needs, Aspen has the best fly fishing of them all.

Message me if you ever get out this way again...happy to to ski, drink or fish with watch fans!
We loved Durango. Did the train ride through the mountains, it started snowing midway, it was all amazing. I'll be sure to shoot you a message when we are able to go back (hopefully sooner than later!)
Old 20 July 2021, 05:42 AM   #15
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

What month are they set to open?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 05:54 AM   #16
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
What month are they set to open?
Not sure. The individual at AP USA just said "later this year," and obviously, the window stickers just say "fall." Finding contractors to do the work, supplies, etc. is obviously hard right now...as is finding employees. I doubt AP bought employee housing for the boutique and currently we have a big shortage at that labor level.

If I learn or see anything more in the months to come, I will let you all know. I will take the block around town a bit more now.
Old 20 July 2021, 09:07 PM   #17
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon7

Looks like the stars have aligned locally here for you.

Keep a good look out for an opening!
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 04:59 AM   #18
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Looks like the stars have aligned locally here for you.

Keep a good look out for an opening!
Fingers crossed! Wish I could find out who they are working with locally as a partner to operate it.

This place is across the street from my office. I have been in a couple times, but based on their pricing, their entire goal is to rip off the maga rich coming through town. Kind of a shame.

https://robbreport.com/style/watch-c...aspen-2933478/
Old 22 July 2021, 07:08 AM   #19
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fingers crossed! Wish I could find out who they are working with locally as a partner to operate it.

This place is across the street from my office. I have been in a couple times, but based on their pricing, their entire goal is to rip off the maga rich coming through town. Kind of a shame.

https://robbreport.com/style/watch-c...aspen-2933478/
I think it’s Material Good.
Old 22 July 2021, 07:23 AM   #20
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

It's charming that people still have hope.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 07:32 AM   #21
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I think it’s Material Good.
That would put a damper on things...not much of a chance of them operating independently.

All we have is hope....
Old 23 July 2021, 02:25 AM   #22
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Pretty nice that the boutique is opening right next to you like the stars are aligning, regardless of its operator. We are getting another here in socal as well in South Coast Plaza so I'm pretty stoked about that.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 02:40 AM   #23
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
Pretty nice that the boutique is opening right next to you like the stars are aligning, regardless of its operator. We are getting another here in socal as well in South Coast Plaza so I'm pretty stoked about that.
Nice! In my last job I would stay at the hotel next to South Coast Plaza once and twice a year. Always took an evening to stroll the mall and go into the boutiques. It is nice having so many places all close to each other. I don't know if he is still there (or what his name was) but the younger, tall, skinny guy working the Patek store was always super chill and fun to chat with. The Vacheron, Lange and JLC teams there were also always super nice to me.

I am certainly excited and yes, hopeful I can get on the list. I would also buy a ROC 41mm with the blue dial. Which is harder to get? The ROC with blue, or a 15500 if I am open to any dial (hoping not white though)? Any chance they issue an inhouse chrono movement for the 50th and do a run out of the old chronographs and they become easier to get?
Old 23 July 2021, 03:22 AM   #24
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Nice! In my last job I would stay at the hotel next to South Coast Plaza once and twice a year. Always took an evening to stroll the mall and go into the boutiques. It is nice having so many places all close to each other. I don't know if he is still there (or what his name was) but the younger, tall, skinny guy working the Patek store was always super chill and fun to chat with. The Vacheron, Lange and JLC teams there were also always super nice to me.

I am certainly excited and yes, hopeful I can get on the list. I would also buy a ROC 41mm with the blue dial. Which is harder to get? The ROC with blue, or a 15500 if I am open to any dial (hoping not white though)? Any chance they issue an inhouse chrono movement for the 50th and do a run out of the old chronographs and they become easier to get?
SCP is a nice group of stores to visit and agree that the boutiques there are all typically pretty cordial.

I'm not sure whats harder to get anymore for steel because I've been out of the loop, but it used to be the ROC was easier than RO but blue will always have that extra bit of demand to make it more difficult to attain. New chrono movements will eventually trickle down to the steel models but I don't think that will make it any easier to get a current gen ROC. Doesn't hurt to ask your new boutique though. Good luck!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 07:40 AM   #25
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Pre new in house ROC, I would say currently....

Blue RO > Blue ROC > White/Gray RO > Black RO

However, two years I think it used to be any RO > ROC (including Blue). If you're lucky, I think day one, you would be able to get white dial ROC. If you see a homeless looking guy camping out night 1, it's probably me. And if it is, I'll flip a coin for you on that ROC. Lol.
Old 31 July 2021, 05:44 PM   #26
Jsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, AP, DD,
Life is too short to not consider grey. Two years is a long time to wait!! https://crowninoystercase.com/buy/ol...-dial-full-set here is a good one.

Old 31 July 2021, 11:39 PM   #27
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Any chance they issue an inhouse chrono movement for the 50th and do a run out of the old chronographs and they become easier to get?
As of last fall ROC was easier to get than a 15500 (I got a Panda ROC with ~2months wait) but with the imminent switchover to the in-house movement it's hard to predict what will happen - grey market definitely does NOT predict a sudden flood of 26331STs.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 02:59 AM   #28
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Continuing the conversation about Roger1 over on WatchNet from the "Newbie Advice" thread as I felt bad hijacking that thread.

I reached out to the guy on the RO he has for sale...I will post here what happens. I am sure it is a scam, but we will see how it unfolds.
Old 3 August 2021, 03:11 AM   #29
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Honestly, if the price is too good to be true, I would avoid it. The guy who bought the Daytona from HorologyHouse thought the price was too good to be true as well and bought it. The rest is history…..
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 03:12 AM   #30
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Honestly, if the price is too good to be true, I would avoid it. The guy who bought the Daytona from HorologyHouse thought the price was too good to be true as well and bought it. The rest is history…..
Yep...this is typically the best advice. My guess, since I asked about a third party intermediary...I won't hear anything back from him.