The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 July 2021, 05:31 AM   #1
MikePRT
"TRF" Member

Best way to clean a RO

Just wondering how people clean their RO’s? I’ve mostly owned Rolex before so with those would just wear in the shower and give a good rinse. Obviously with the lower water resistance rating for the RO this isn’t possible. So what do people do? Just rinse the bracelet under a slow running tap? Brush the bracelet and case with a soft bristle brush? How cautious do you have to be with water given the low water resistance? It’s been quite hot in the UK recently and I’ve been wearing mine a lot so is looking a bit grubby. Needs more than the usual t-shirt polish. Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
MikePRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 06:02 AM   #2
dre-techie
"TRF" Member

I wash the RO with warm water, when needed. I focus mainly on the bracelet as it accumulates dirt between the links. I use a soft brush to gently clean between the links.

Especially if your RO has a screw-down crown, it should be plenty water resistant to wash under running tap or shower. Which low water resistance model are referring to?

Per AP's care instructions:
"Clean your watch and its metal bracelet regularly with warm water, rinse with fresh water and dry with a soft cloth. Avoid contact with water for non-water-resistant watches and watches fitted with leather straps."
dre-techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 06:28 AM   #3
Zavier
"TRF" Member

I've been cleaning my code with soap and water on a bi-weekly basis for months now and so far so good ����
Hence I'm sure that the RO can handle tap water.
Zavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 06:34 AM   #4
58junior
"TRF" Member

Run it under the kitchen sink with warm water and dish soap while making my morning kureig. Dry it with a paper towel or my t-shirt. Drink Java.
58junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 06:36 AM   #5
MikePRT
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I have a 15450st, isn’t the water resistance 50m? Which it thought in the real world meant safe against a splash, rather than actually submerged in water, or under a running tap.

Am I just being too paranoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 July 2021, 06:46 AM   #6
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Any suggestions on a soft brush?
yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 07:37 AM   #7
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I wear mine in the shower, simple. Occasionally i may take them off in the shower and give the bracelet a bit of attention, but very rarely.

There is zero difference between Rolex and AP when it comes to a shower!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 07:38 AM   #8
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRT View Post
Thanks. I have a 15450st, isn’t the water resistance 50m? Which it thought in the real world meant safe against a splash, rather than actually submerged in water, or under a running tap.

Am I just being too paranoid?

Yes! Way too paranoid!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 11:03 AM   #9
AG_Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26331ST/116710BLNR
I use the following Veraet products:
https://www.wristclean.com/products/watch-spray-4oz
https://www.wristclean.com/products/watch-brush

Spray and brush are fantastic watch looks brand new everytime. I use roughly once every 4-6 weeks.

I refuse to use towels on my RO even though I would trust the wristclean towels on them. So I use this: https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Elec...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Certainly overkill but would prefer this over risking dirt getting trapped in my clothes overtime and scratching while cleaning.
AG_Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 07:53 AM   #10
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Soft toothbrush, liquid soap and warm water rinse will see you right.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 10:47 AM   #11
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

overly paranoid....

Do you realize how deep 50mm is?

Do you realize that average deep end of a swimming pool is 8ft or 2.4m? When was the last time you were in the deep end of pool?

Running tap water is fine for any 50m water resistance watch. If not, then it's the company advertising a specification incorrectly saying its 50m when it's not
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 10:51 AM   #12
kianhowe88
"TRF" Member

I would do it the same way you treat your rolex
kianhowe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 09:50 PM   #13
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Best way to clean a RO

I submerge mine in bowl of luke warm soapy water and use a jewellery brush to get between the links.

As above it is 50m WR with screw down and have swam many times, can definitely handle being submerged in a bowl for cleaning!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 10:13 PM   #14
MikePRT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
overly paranoid....

Do you realize how deep 50mm is?

Do you realize that average deep end of a swimming pool is 8ft or 2.4m? When was the last time you were in the deep end of pool?

Running tap water is fine for any 50m water resistance watch. If not, then it's the company advertising a specification incorrectly saying its 50m when it's not

Do you realise that a 50m water resistant watch is not actually suitable for swimming 50m under water…the water resistance rating given to a watch is in relation to the “static” water pressure…when you’re diving and swimming around water even though the water depth may only be 2m the pressure applied on the watch will be equivalent to much deeper level.

Yep, being paranoid but with £££ at stake just wanted to be doubly sure.

Old 22 July 2021, 10:51 PM   #15
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do you realise that a 50m water resistant watch is not actually suitable for swimming 50m under water…the water resistance rating given to a watch is in relation to the “static” water pressure…when you’re diving and swimming around water even though the water depth may only be 2m the pressure applied on the watch will be equivalent to much deeper level.

Yeah, expensive piece of $$$ on your wrist, but as you said paranoid - but its your watch do whatever you're comfortable with

Personally, i have have never had issue with any 50mm watch - swimming/playing by the pool, showering, or cleaning under tap

Yes, I do realize the difference the between stated water resistant and static environment. Was giving context vs. washing watch.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 11:00 PM   #16
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:

correct that the rating is not the same as actual depth but with that said you can wear it in water. I have confirmed it with multiple sources at AP and all said it can handle swimming and saunas just fine.
My 15400 has seen plenty aquatic exercises over the years. A funny "incident"..., my AD accidentally pressure tested my 15400 at 10 bar and it passed.
Old 22 July 2021, 11:00 PM   #17
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Wristclean
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 11:05 PM   #18
Sleepy996
"TRF" Member

Warm water, liquid dish soap, soft toothbrush and repeat about 10 times a week because I live in a swamp right now.
Old 22 July 2021, 11:52 PM   #19
MikePRT
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments, good to know that the AP is tougher than I thought.

Old 23 July 2021, 02:23 AM   #20
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo View Post
Any suggestions on a soft brush?
I actually sometimes use a little mickey mouse soft kids toothbrush along with warm water and soap.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 11:55 AM   #21
911AP
"TRF" Member

Ok plot twist. What about a 15202? Non screw down crown
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 12:16 PM   #22
ryehn
"TRF" Member

I'm always worried about water seeping through the ROO's chrono pushers
ryehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 06:53 PM   #23
Zavier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post
If my code can handle soap and tap water, I don't see a reason that the jumbo can't handle it.
Zavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 09:23 PM   #24
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post

You’ll be okay. I use wrist clean on my perpetual calendar and haven’t had issues (CODE and RO)

I just spray it, scrub it and then rinse it under light running water

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 01:49 AM   #25
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:

Not so. The additional pressure from running water or swimming is minimal. Just hold your hand under a stream of water. Does the water push your hand away? Feel like a weight is on your hand? Nope.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 03:29 AM   #26
MikePRT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Not so. The additional pressure from running water or swimming is minimal. Just hold your hand under a stream of water. Does the water push your hand away? Feel like a weight is on your hand? Nope.

I know, just stating that the rating of 50m does not equal the ability to swim 50m deep.

Old 24 July 2021, 05:59 AM   #27
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG_Watches View Post
I use the following Veraet products:
https://www.wristclean.com/products/watch-spray-4oz
https://www.wristclean.com/products/watch-brush

Spray and brush are fantastic watch looks brand new everytime. I use roughly once every 4-6 weeks.

I refuse to use towels on my RO even though I would trust the wristclean towels on them. So I use this: https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Elec...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Certainly overkill but would prefer this over risking dirt getting trapped in my clothes overtime and scratching while cleaning.
Another vote for Veraet, I use them on all my watches for years now. No complaints.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 07:36 AM   #28
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The additional dynamic pressure from swimming is completely negligible. If you are a fast enough swimmer and do 2 knots or around 1 m/s the dynamic pressure corresponds to a static pressure at a depth of only 0,05m (use g x h = v^2/2).

The static pressure at a depth of 50m is equivalent to a dynamic pressure at a speed of 30+ m/s or around 60 knots. Hence, going at 60+ knots on a jet ski or boat and getting your hand in the water just below the surface might damage your 50m rated RO.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 08:16 AM   #29
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
The additional dynamic pressure from swimming is completely negligible. If you are a fast enough swimmer and do 2 knots or around 1 m/s the dynamic pressure corresponds to a static pressure at a depth of only 0,05m (use g x h = v^2/2).

The static pressure at a depth of 50m is equivalent to a dynamic pressure at a speed of 30+ m/s or around 60 knots. Hence, going at 60+ knots on a jet ski or boat and getting your hand in the water just below the surface might damage your 50m rated RO.

Wow that’s an analysis.
So what is really the true depth under calm CJ ditions that a 50 m rating allows one to submerge to?
gliazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 03:03 PM   #30
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Moving ones arm underwater causing extra pressure is unfortunately a massive myth that has been floating around for a while.

Deepest I’ve ever been is just shy of 40M, it’s a very strange experience being that far under.

Without special equipment and training I don’t think most people without SCUBA could free dive deeper than the watch could handle quite safely.

A running tap won’t cause you any issues.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote